Ares Games
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: over Flanders - another Play by PM game - Finished

I'm 8 hours behind you guys, TV comes much later, while you are all dreaming of your WoG exploits.

Playing through a solo game of Tank Duel at the moment.
    Panther and PzKw.IVH vs. T-34/85 and KV-85
    Russians are wiping the floor with the Wehrmacht so far.

They look great but.. Special effects man Wesley David Archer the faked shots in the 1930s, the pictures then became the basis for a book, Death In The Air: The War Diary And Photographs Of A Flying Corps Pilot, which was published in 1933 that Archer claimed came from journal of an anonymous Flying Corps pilot killed in combat. He made a mint on the pictures which were not discovered to be fakes until 1984 !
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lars-FAKE.html

Last edited by flash; 01-24-2021 at 04:47.

"He is wise who watches"

Definitely no claim to authenticity here, Dave.

...but nice to know the source.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

None expected old chap but good to keep the new chaps on course even when they look so good.

"He is wise who watches"

Sorry for the delay everyone. All Turn 5 moves are now in. I will try and get the Turn done this evening on my return from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    Sorry for the delay everyone. All Turn 5 moves are now in. I will try and get the Turn done this evening on my return from work.
    It’s not an occupation, it’s fun. No rush.

Turn 5 – A Sparrow Falls

5.1 - Desperate to avoid further punishment Camelbeagle tries to dive out of the melee, but only succeeds in entering Sherlochnumber1’s gunsights. Graugans performs an Immelmann and heads back towards the swirling dogfight. Karo7 fires on Marechallannes and seems to have hit an oil pipe as smoke pours from his opponent’s machine. Oblivious to this, Marechallannes pours fire into Gangleader147.

5.2 - A strangely quiet phase of manoeuvring follows although Marechallannes has closed to close range and continues to hammer Gangleader147 (this time at +1). He’s definitely hit something as the Spad starts to belch smoke.

5.3 – Graugans turns in nicely behind Flash and gives him a burst. Gangleader147 continues his long left turn right into the sights of Sherlochnumber1. Sherlochnumber1 opens up killing Gangleader147 who had been frantically trying to unjam his guns. The Spad spirals earthwards and crashes in a ball of flame.

Last edited by Sauerkraut; 01-25-2021 at 12:00.

My first kill!

Well that ended well ...... clearly I need some German engineering!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlochnumber1 View Post
    My first kill!
    Congratulations mate (obviously this message comes post cremation).

My first kill!

My first kill!
    Does posting this twice count as gloating?

He is trying to encourage a socially distanced visit

This is weird - I don't see any photos in the post, but there are references to them in this response.

Turn 5 – A Sparrow Falls

5.1 - Desperate to avoid further punishment Camelbeagle tries to dive out of the melee, but only succeeds in entering Sherlochnumber1’s gunsights. Graugans performs an Immelmann and heads back towards the swirling dogfight. Karo7 fires on Marechallannes and seems to have hit an oil pipe as smoke pours from his opponent’s machine. Oblivious to this, Marechallannes pours fire into Gangleader147.

5.2 - A strangely quiet phase of manoeuvring follows although Marechallannes has closed to close range and continues to hammer Gangleader147 (this time at +1). He’s definitely hit something as the Spad starts to belch smoke.

5.3 – Graugans turns in nicely behind Flash and gives him a burst. Gangleader147 continues his long left turn right into the sights of Sherlochnumber1. Sherlochnumber1 opens up killing Gangleader147 who had been frantically trying to unjam his guns. The Spad spirals earthwards and crashes in a ball of flame.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Gangleader147 View Post
    He is trying to encourage a socially distanced visit
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210125_203914_715.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	296768

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    This is weird - I don't see any photos in the post, but there are references to them in this response.
    Nor do I Pete, just logged in and nothing to be seen. Can't post moves without it.

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian
    I also don't see any photos.

Ah, 5.1 has appeared... nothing more. I'll be back later.
    Last edited by flash; 01-25-2021 at 12:02.

"He is wise who watches"

Sorry, didn’t mean too!

I think there has been an error. Looking at the picture, that’s not my kill, I think it’s the Halberstadt, can’t read the pilots name.

Not sure what happened with the photos, I could see them when I first posted. ???? Went back in, deleted them and re-attached. Seems to be ok now.

As purely an observer I can see 5.1 & 5.2, 5.3 is still missing.

kIt is there now

I think there has been an error. Looking at the picture, that’s not my kill, I think it’s the Halberstadt, can’t read the pilots name.
    Whilst Marechallannes did shoot Gangleader147 in phases 1 & 2 of Turn 5, I can confirm that you snuck in at the end and stole the kill.

During all the frantic action of this turn a climb counter was mislaid. Karo7 is in fact at altitude 5 with 1 climb counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    As purely an observer I can see 5.1 & 5.2, 5.3 is still missing.

kIt is there now
    After the gremlins attack, I was busy deleting and re-attaching them. Hopefully all four photos are clearly visible now.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Round 6 maneuvers sent!

No turn 6 submitted

No turn 6 submitted
    If its any consolation Lee at the point of your untimely demise you had inflicted more damage on enemy aircraft than any other pilot. You're still dead, I just thought it might soften the blow.

My first kill!
    My first kill!

In for the kill, well done Andy, I expect Sven should get a tip of the hat too, great job !

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

No turn 6 submitted
    first time I saw a double pilot hit in a game.

No turn 6 submitted
    Dive into over dive....?

Move six in.
    Last edited by flash; 01-25-2021 at 13:49.

"He is wise who watches"

If its any consolation Lee at the point of your untimely demise you had inflicted more damage on enemy aircraft than any other pilot. You're still dead, I just thought it might soften the blow.
    Thanks Andy, however I was still stunned for dying on the battlefield and not off it

Turn 6 moves in! I’m really enjoying this, my first time!

6.1 - Flash performs an Immelmann and catches Karo7 in his gunsights. Elsewhere our intrepid pilots are frantically manoevring as they seek a decisive advantage over the foe.

6.2 - There is a lull in the action as no-one is able to find a suitable opportunity to attack this phase. Graugans, Camelbeagle and Stumptonian choose to grab more height.

6.3 - The phoney war continues and no firing occurs in this phase. The dogfight seems to have split onto different levels due to the marked difference in the climbing ability of the various aircraft. Camelbeagle could be in trouble shortly though as both Sherlochnumber1 and Stumptonian close on him.

Round 7 moves sent! Let see if some action happens!

Careful what you wish for Dan - it might get a bit tight though !

Seven up....

"He is wise who watches"

Hear, hear...

I know Flash is a good pilot, but give him something with Iron Crosses on it and he changes into „Manfred of Dorset“.

One down - still three in the air.

Last edited by Marechallannes; 01-26-2021 at 10:48.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    ... I know Flash is a good pilot, but give him something with Iron Crosses on it and he changes into „Manfred of Dorset“...
    I resemble that remark !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF at Salute 2015-600.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	296821

I wonder if it's because the Kaiser stayed near here once ?
    In 1907, Kaiser Wilhelm II, during a visit to England to benefit his health was made welcome at Kingston Lacy House, now a National Trust property near Wimborne.
    Last edited by flash; 01-26-2021 at 12:08.

"He is wise who watches"

Turn 7

7.1 – Stumptonian and Flash both perform Immelmann turns this phase. Sherlochnumber1 and Graugans both bank left to avoid any chance of a collision. Camelbeagle swoops right and uses his wing mounted machine gun to good effect peppering the overlapping Stumptonian’s lower fuselage.

7.2 – Amazingly in this phase despite the close proximity of all the combatants, no-one is in a position to fire.

7.3 – Sherlochnumber1 Immelmanns and exchanges fire with the onrushing Graugans. Stumptonian stalls allowing Camelbeagle to bank left and pour fire into him for the second time this turn. Flash approaches the melee from above whilst Karo7 continues to circle above all the other aircraft looking to pounce on the unwary.

Marechallannes' Halberstadt finally stops trailing smoke at the end of this turn. Should he be relieved or has he finally run out of oil?
    Last edited by Sauerkraut; 01-26-2021 at 13:33.

Still looking good gang!

Turn 8 is in...

"He is wise who watches"

Turn 8

8.1 –Stumptonian tries a Split-S to evade his pursuer but Camelbeagle stalls and bullets hammer into his lower fuselage once more, this time at +1. Karo7 decides the moment has come to pounce and begins a power dive back into the action. Graugans and Sherlochnumber1 exchange waves as they pass each other whilst Marechallannes latches onto Graugans’ tail.

8.2 – Graugans performs an Immelmann and then exchanges fire with his tormentor causing Marechallannes’ aircraft to burst into flames. Stumptonian finally manages to lose Camelbeagle and even has the opportunity to fire a quick burst at Karo7 as he screams past.

8.3 – Marechallannes , now burning, performs an Immelmann turn and climbs above the melee. Flash and Graugans exchange fire whilst Karo7 Immelmanns and shoots Stumptonian as he flies across his path. Elsewhere, Camelbeagle strives to gain more height.

Last edited by Stumptonian; 01-27-2021 at 13:38. Reason: Pointed out that there is a link

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Solo game play
    By Sgt. in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2020, 07:19
  2. Play by email game
    By chequers in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-02-2019, 07:00
  3. January '14 Play by Email game
    By chequers in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-21-2014, 08:16
  4. As if I needed another game to play....
    By STICK in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 15:18
  5. mats to play game.
    By boardgamer55 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 20:29