Ares Games

Thread: Which aircraft are capable of dropping bombs?

Default Which aircraft are capable of dropping bombs?

Hi Everyone, I'm still new at Wings of Glory so this might be a silly question. How do I find out which aircraft are capable of dropping bombs? Apart from the obvious heavy bombers of course!

Research is the short answer Mick - there's no official listing but most two seaters were capable, though likely not all did depending on their squadron role.
    Some single seaters were rigged for close support, the Camel in particular was used in that role.
    Here is a list that I roughed out a while back for an unofficial bomb load / points that might give you a start point.

Machine ------------- Payload Kg / lb --------------------- Damage: full load / half load
    Breguet BR.14 B2 - 256 / 564 ------------------------------------------ 28pts / 14pts
    Bristol F.2 Fighter - 108 / 238 ------------------------------------------ 12pts / 6pts
    Caproni Ca.3 - 800 / 1764 ----------------------------------------------- 88pts / 44pts
    Caproni Ca.4 - 1438 / 3170 ----------------------------------------------- 158pts / 78pts
    Curtiss H.16 - 105 / 231.5 ------------------------------------------------- 12pts / 6pts
    De Havilland/AIRCO D.H.4 - 209 / 460 ------------------------------- 23pts / 11pts
    De Havilland DH.9 - 209 / 460 -------------------------------------------- 23pts / 11pts
    Felixstowe F.2A - 209 / 460 ------------------------------------------------ 23pts / 11pts
    Handley Page O/400 - 1655 / 3649 ----------------------------------- 182pts / 91pts
    R.E.8 - 112 / 247 ----------------------------------------------------------- 12pts / 6pts
    S.E.5a - 45 / 99 ------------------------------------------------------------- 5pts / 2pts
    Saml S.2 - 40 / 88 ------------------------------------------------------------ 5pts /2pts
    Camel - 36 / 80 -------------------------------------------------------------- 5pts / 2pts
    Snipe - 36 / 80 --------------------------------------------------------------- 5pts / 2pts
    Sopwith 1½ Strutter Two Seat - 60 / 130 --------------------------- 6pts / 3pts
    Sopwith 1½ Strutter Single Seat - 120 /260 ----------------------- 13pts / 6pts
    Albatros C.III - 90 / 200 ------------------------------------------------- 10pts / 5pts
    Rumpler C.IV - 100 / 220 ------------------------------------------------- 11pts / 5pts
    LFG Roland C.II - 50 / 110 ----------------------------------------------- 6pts / 3pts
    Halberstadt Cl.II - 50 / 110 ---------------------------------------------- 6pts / 3pts
    Phönix C.I - 50 / 110 -------------------------------------------------------- 6pts / 3pts
    Pomilio PC - 150 / 330 ------------------------------------------------------ 16pts / 8 pts
    Ufag C.I - 150 / 330 -------------------------------------------------------- 16pts / 8 pts
    Friedrichshafen G.III - 1000 / 2205 --------------------------------------- 110pts / 55pts
    Gotha G.V - 500 / 1102 ---------------------------------------------------- 55pts / 27pts
    Zeppelin Staaken R.VI - 2000 / 4410 ---------------------------------- 220pts / 110pts - maybe option to split load down further ?

Near misses count as half total drawn.

Above drawn from info by dividing the poundage of bombs carried by 20 - with a base full load minimum of 5 as that destroys a trench.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-bomb-loadouts

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave for the very comprehensive reply. Do you also have a chart with WW2 aircraft?

The sad thing is, despite written evidence (admittedly confusing if you aren't careful of sources in the case of Bf.109s), or lack of photographic evidence (in the case of Hurricane Mk Is), Ares puts bombs on some planes that never carried them.

Lists could be problematic, IMHO.

What are you looking for?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Mick.G View Post
    Thanks Dave for the very comprehensive reply. Do you also have a chart with WW2 aircraft?
    Doh ! Senior moment Mick, didn't realise I was in the WW2 board - research will be the key then, you should find the answers fairly quickly online.
    I know Me109 & Fw190's carried bombs as they dropped them on my parent's home town (Eastbourne) after the BoB but check the dates & models used. They also made strafing attacks on the populace.

"He is wise who watches"

Nearly all WW2 aircraft could carry a bomb or 3. Of the official models, the only one that may not have was the Spitfire, and possibly the Zero. It often depended on the model and time frame.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Nearly all WW2 aircraft could carry a bomb or 3. Of the official models, the only one that may not have was the Spitfire, and possibly the Zero. It often depended on the model and time frame.
    Karl
    Karl,
    Do you have any evidence of Hawker Hurricane Mk Is ever carrying, or even being capable of carrying, bombs? I can't recall ever hearing or reading of any ground attack missions flown by Hurricanes in 1940. Mk IIs are a different story, and Mk IIBs were used in the Ground Attack role extensively.

The Bf-109s were used as Fighter-Bombers in the Battle of Britain, just not E-3s. There are publications that refute this, but not according to official Messerschmitt documents. There are some who suggest there were field mods for E-3s, but any of the images I could find were not definitive, and in one case I found the same image labeled as both an E-3 and an E-4 (in two different publications). From the camera angle, it was impossible to determine which version of E model the bomb was hanging. Being that any official documents I could find stated that field kits for bomb racks were only fitted to E-4s, and the publication I found the image marked as an E-3 was a modeller reference, I am going with the "official" documentation.

Which puts the Ares models (Bf.109 E-3 and Hawker Hurricane Mk I) as marketing ploys, and not historically accurate.

However, if you look at other inaccuracies in the game, that I really care about this little point seems a little pointless.

As to the OP's question, though, I don't have a definitive list of planes that could carry bombs for Wings of Glory. I have a lot of planes for the Battle of Britain, and I fly the bomb-equipped Bf-109 planes I do have on E-4 stands, using E-4 cards.

PS: I got the E-3s in the Battle of Britain Starter Set, because I wanted the latest rules and the scenarios. I won't buy any Ares Hurricanes for the above reason, among other issues.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Nearly all WW2 aircraft could carry a bomb or 3. Of the official models, the only one that may not have was the Spitfire...
    Or maybe not.....

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Or maybe not.....

Interesting shot. Spitfire Mk V in the desert, 1942?

PS: No. 152 Squadron RAF Mk VB, Tunisia, 1943.

PPS: ww2today.com - 5 January 1944 Malfunction leads to the tragic loss of Spitfire pilot
    Mike

Thanks for all the replies, my reason for asking is that I bought a Yokosuka D4Y3 and as well as a maneuver deck it included some extra cards for bombing. Does this mean that only planes that come with bomb cards can drop bombs?

Exclamation

Thanks for all the replies, my reason for asking is that I bought a Yokosuka D4Y3 and as well as a maneuver deck it included some extra cards for bombing. Does this mean that only planes that come with bomb cards can drop bombs?
    Not really! Any WW2 aircraft that has been historically recorded as being used as a Bomber can be used in the game as such.
    You should limit the Bomb Load based on the Aircraft's ability.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Karl,
    Do you have any evidence of Hawker Hurricane Mk Is ever carrying, or even being capable of carrying, bombs? .
    No Mike; I was making a generalist statement, not with regards to specific Mks or years.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Someone that uses Pacific Theatre aircraft would have to confirm, but certain planes (like the Ju.87 Stuka) are Dive Bombers, and come with specific dive bombing maneuver cards (I maneuver deck). This includes extra dive cards for those that play using altitude rules.

In this case, the Stuka can do 'precision' bombing, for which it was noted. Almost any plane can try to bomb, but shouldn't be able to 'out-dive' a dive bomber.
    Mike

No Mick, there are bomb cards in the Rules and Accessories Pack, which may be used with planes that did not come with the cards. Similarly, there are also rocket cards.

Similar Missions

1. Battle of Britain Squadron Packs - Bf-109E-3: Bombs or No Bombs?
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-23-2017, 05:06
  2. Dropping The Anchorage
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-13-2014, 14:29
  3. FFG Dropping _WoW_
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 05:51
  4. American aircraft with bombs loaded under its wing in United States: a clip
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 01:56
  5. TWO EXAMPLES OF DROPPING BOMBS ON A ZEPPEILN WHILE IN FLIGHT
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 06:49