Ares Games

Thread: Any news on the campaign and scenarios pack?

Default Any news on the campaign and scenarios pack?

Has anbody got a word about the campaign and scenarios pack from Ares? Has there even been an official annoncement yet? Hoping for this and ballons this year, but thats probaly not going to happen....

Andrea has said the campaign & scenarios book is in the works but there has been no official announcement yet, sounds like it may coincide with a series 5 reprint but I wouldn't expect to see that anytime soon. Next year maybe. Balloons are supposedly coming out sometime this year but no hard dates yet.

"He is wise who watches"

Sorry to say I live in the wrong place to do justice to play-testing a WoG Campaign system. I have a draft copy of the Campaign and Scenario pack, and thought I had enough players to do this efficiently, but no.

We are doing a session once a month, with whom-ever shows up, so not a good stress-test on the rules. That being said, I actually have a few people playing WoG on a regular basis, which I didn't have before. I shouldn't complain.

I don't have any idea on when this would be released, as I am not part of that decision making process. So far, the system is all card-based (yay!), and works very well. The few scenarios we have played were reasonably balanced, dependent on luck-of-the-damage-draw, and individual tactics.

Oh. And don't get shot down in flames or end a game on fire. Pilots don't usually survive fire in the version I am testing.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

Oh. And don't get shot down in flames or end a game on fire. Pilots don't usually survive fire in the version I am testing.
    Actually, I like that. I think that once your plane is on fire there is no magical end to the flames.
    (Although I am glad we don't currently use that in the Over the Trenches: The Bitter End campaign)

I think you should have to keep drawing an A deck card until you either land or your plane is consumed.

There is the option of Overdiving, but we are not using Altitude Rules ATM.

Also, I favour the rule where if you draw damage, you reset the flame counters. If you draw three consecutive 'Zero's, the flames go out.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

Also, I favour the rule where if you draw damage, you reset the flame counters. If you draw three consecutive 'Zero's, the flames go out.
    That's a good alternative.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Actually, I like that. I think that once your plane is on fire there is no magical end to the flames.
    (Although I am glad we don't currently use that in the Over the Trenches: The Bitter End campaign)

I think you should have to keep drawing an A deck card until you either land or your plane is consumed.

Interestingly there are actual records of Pilots on both sides in WW1 surviving having been shot down in flames. More than you would imagine!

Our C&W rolls take care of that.
    I like Mike’s suggestion for flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol-Pete View Post
    Has anbody got a word about the campaign and scenarios pack from Ares? Has there even been an official annoncement yet? Hoping for this and ballons this year, but thats probaly not going to happen....
    And an update from the man himself:

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    ...Here
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2155563
    an update saying that Tripods are already produced (even if people want more of them) and the new wave of Dr.I, Camel, D.Va, SPAD XIII, Nieuport 16 and balloons are being finalized and and ready for production next month. Se5a, Pfalz D.III, Albatros and Breguet two-seaters, Ju-88, Do-17, SM79 and Bristol Blenheim are well ahead. The WW1 campaign pack is in final stage on editing. New Sails of Glory ships have been prototyped. Other models for all lines are in earlier stages of development. Reprints of Battle of Britain and Sails of Glory basic sets are being distributed with a new language added... From a recent informal post by Roberto Di Meglio on Facebook, Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory are the backbone of Ares' activity (even if they have other great games too, as the Tolkien lines) so be sure that they will not be forgotten for some new games that will be added to the catalogue.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...arship-Battles

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...arship-Battles
    That is very reassuring news Dave!

The WW1 campaign pack is in final stage on editing.
    Will the WW1 Campaign pack include the Verdun game mats that made everyone enthusiastic on the Drome six years ago ?

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...de-by-a-member

Name:  FA0DBEEA-5241-408A-B98B-028F884D971F.jpeg
Views: 899
Size:  250.4 KB

Name:  A5D8C8CD-A763-4893-A35F-13013C0B1D2E.jpeg
Views: 796
Size:  84.5 KB

Well, it would be nice but it has not been mentioned & as nothing has happened in six years I doubt it. Lovely though it is at 210 x 100 cm it would likely be too expensive to sell in great numbers.

"He is wise who watches"

Probably the only way to prevent it becoming a dead letter after all this time. We don't even know if the prototype ever got completed.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The prototype was completed in 2012 and Cyril (the author) has printed it for playtesting.
    It is divided in 3 mats, each mat has the same size as a WOG mat.
    It can be also played with a dozen Verdun scenarios he also created 2 years ago (more than a hundred historical places are listed on these mats, as potential targets for scenarios), that Ares is also supposed to edit.

Name:  5B4E7CD2-0697-47F1-955F-D119CBA7955D.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  146.4 KB
    Name:  F92D9683-B016-4CAD-9E74-804CDBEA4225.jpeg
Views: 778
Size:  225.0 KB
    Name:  C4142FFD-C12A-4810-BD85-926187B11208.jpeg
Views: 822
Size:  222.1 KB
    Last edited by monse; 04-13-2018 at 14:53.

Thumbs up

They look great Monse so thanks for posting the photos.
    What a great idea to be able to use the mats in many historical scenarios!

That looks a great mat, Monse! It would be a pity if it came to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    The prototype was completed in 2012 and Cyril (the author) has printed it for playtesting.
    It is divided in 3 mats, each mat has the same size as a WOG mat.
    It can be also played with a dozen Verdun scenarios he also created 2 years ago (more than a hundred historical places are listed on these mats, as potential targets for scenarios), that Ares is also supposed to edit.
    WOW! Now THAT is really EXCITING! The scenario we played yesterday afternoon was entitled "Over Verdun" and entailed a French photo recon mission hosting two 2-seaters and two Nieuport 11's vs. three Eindekkers! I wish we'd had this mat to play on!

I hope it DOES become a package deal for a scenario package.

If I can dream, imagine it being marketed along with a reprint of the early war planes ... could also be an excuse to premier an early war Duel Pack hosting a "B" damage deck!

It would certainly give the look of the original which we liked so much an up to date twist, and more scope for historical action. You can never have a sufficient variety of mats. It's a bit like a sufficiency of aircraft.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    an early war Duel Pack hosting a "B" damage deck!
    Now THAT is a superb idea!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Ah, but will Ares go for the idea? Which planes would you put in the pack, D.H. 2 vs Halberstadt D.II or Morane Saulnier N vs Fokker Eindekker E.III? I would prefer the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Ah, but will Ares go for the idea? Which planes would you put in the pack, D.H. 2 vs Halberstadt D.II or Morane Saulnier N vs Fokker Eindekker E.III? I would prefer the former.
    Why not BOTH? They did it with the Camel vs. DrI and SPAD vs. Albatross. It would also highlight the original four planes presented throughout their WoG rules and accessories pack.

Thumbs up

Why not BOTH? They did it with the Camel vs. DrI and SPAD vs. Albatross. It would also highlight the original four planes presented throughout their WoG rules and accessories pack.
    That with the Mats would really be the icing on the Cake!

Cyril has made this animation to show a part of the historical sources of his work..
    1. Actual aerial view
    2. 1913 Map
    3. 2012 Game Mat (south part)

Andrea has previously hinted that the reprint of series 5 will coincide with the campaign and scenarios book.
    No mention has been made of a mat/map or duel packs.

from post 34 of this thread https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...e-of-this-site
    ...Besides, reprints of the DH2/Morane/E.III/Halberstadt series is on the way too, and the Campaign pack that will give them more sense is in the final stages of editing. Some trust please, and you will see fruits of this all even on 100% historic tables.
    Last edited by flash; 04-16-2018 at 08:35.

"He is wise who watches"

What exactly does this mean?

Some trust please, and you will see fruits of this all even on 100% historic tables.

Rob.

What is the possibility that this will be released at the same time as Triplanes and Tripods?
    Really keen to get this.

And wouldn't it be great if they included an alternative end of war scenario leading to the Tripods?...then another one for the sequel i.e. the WWII version where some planes have fitted first invasion Tripod weapons.

I imagine the WWII scenario will be something like," The Martians, seeing the Earth once again divided by a World War launch, a second attack involving even more powerful machines." There will be rules for Tripod versus Tripod combat but I doubt that we shall see Martian weapons mounted on Earth aircraft.

Thank you for posting that link, Phillip. There were also some shots of Tripods and Triplanes at the beginning.

Anyone heard anything new about the Campaign Book?
    Since we are seeing some Tripods & Triplanes on the horizon I had hoped there would be a bit of a fanfare about the book.

I think that the Scenarios and Campaign pack is one of the many items delayed until 2019 at the earliest.

So 20 months or so later, any news? Still on the horizon?
    Any word about 2020 at all?

Crickets...
    Mike

Nothing that I have heard, even crickets!

Rob.

It's been so quiet that you could go to sleep...

Heck, I don't even hear crickets.

I have something, other than crickets. I am starting up another attempt at playtesting the Campaign and Scenario Pack, as a local buddy wants an excuse to play WGF, but not just one-off games.

Also, having just played an online game with fellow forum members, and the host mentioning that coming up with interesting scenarios was somewhat of an issue, I thought using the playtest material I have could help.

All the above to say I contacted Andrea for an update and permissions. Not surprisingly, COVID-19 has pretty much shut down Ares Games. The tidbit I will provide is that Andrea said the Campaign and Scenario Pack has been updated with every release to date, and might be released, if Ares Games was able to put manpower and money towards it. At the moment, that is difficult to improbable.

I am soliciting silent prayers and positive vibes from Forum members for good things to happen in Northern Italy, and that Ares Games can get back to full production.
    Mike

I have been living in hope that Ares would get some material out soon. Lots of support for the game and before covid hit I had conversations with several people who just discovered the game, but were frustrated with the lack of product. Campaign Scenarios would be a great addition! Personally, I have been looking into converting scenarios from other game systems.

Similar Missions

1. All the OTT 17-18 Bitter End Campaign Scenarios
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-11-2018, 22:49
  2. Scenarios and Campaign Pack
    By Naharaht in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2017, 09:52
  3. All the OTT 16-17 Early Doors Campaign Scenarios
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 26