Ares Games

Thread: Pearl Harbor Hawks and their maneuver decks.

Default Pearl Harbor Hawks and their maneuver decks.

Hey guys,

I'm planning a small Pearl Harbor scenario for my gaming group. Lately I have been painting planes from AIM and using decals from Miscellaneous Miniatures. For the other planes I have done so far I have used borrowed decks from other 'official' planes in my collection.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what decks I'll use for the American Pearl Harbor planes.

Here are the planes I plan on using and the decks recommended for them.

P-36A Hawk, K deck.
    P-36C Hawk, D deck.
    P-40B Warhawk, H or G deck.

I have the D deck. Unfortunately I don't have K, H, or G decks.

Of the official decks,

What deck is closest to K?
    What deck is closest to H?
    What deck is closest to G?

Are these the decks you guys would use for these planes? If not, what decks would you recommend?

I have seen the MATES decks and since I typically fly multiple planes at the same time and write my maneuvers down I don't think I'd have any problem using them. However I think the rest of the group would be more comfortable using regular decks.

I apologize for the rambling post. Thanks for any help.

Jim

I can send you scans of the decks if you PM me your email address.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I can send you scans of the decks if you PM me your email address.
    Thank you for that. PM on the way.

Still curious if everyone agrees that those are the best decks for those planes? Or if there are other decks that could arguably be at least as correct as those?

Another way of thinking about what I am trying to ask is what is the best way of determining what decks are close to other decks without actually owning the decks to compare them side by side? Has somebody done this sort of work?

G deck for the P-40b and the ones you have for the Hawks are good according to the unofficial list.

There is a great spreadsheet 'HERE' in the WW2 files under House Rules. It has just about every plane's stats you could want. Also get the Notes 'HERE' and the Gunnery Arcs 'HERE'.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 11-04-2019 at 06:49.

The K deck is the only available deck for fighter aircraft whose speed is just a bit less than 300mph.

C and D decks are for those going 300-330 or so. C is for the unusually manouverable planes such as Hurricane, Zero and Hayabusa.
    K is for 270-300.
    J and L are for those going 240-270. L is for the more manouverable biplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    The K deck is the only available deck for fighter aircraft whose speed is just a bit less than 300mph.

C and D decks are for those going 300-330 or so. C is for the unusually manouverable planes such as Hurricane, Zero and Hayabusa.
    K is for 270-300.
    J and L are for those going 240-270. L is for the more manouverable biplanes.
    Thank you, Zoe!

Is this file

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2218

the best source of that type of information?

Not sure my link is working. The file is titled "WGS_Decks_Speeds_Revised" and is located in the WGS house rules section.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim
    Last edited by OKC_Jim; 11-04-2019 at 04:59.

To make the C deck truly maneuverable for the Zero and Oscar you can add in these cards. I forget who made them (thank you!!!) but they make the Zero what it should be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C Zero sharp turns.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	277620

Jim;
    There are 3 files with unofficial aircraft; They are committee approved, but I'll admit most of the work is mine.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2136
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2137
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2138

An occasional revision is made, esp. when new planes come out (WGS series 7!!!), and frankly, I have more planes to do.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 11-05-2019 at 12:13.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    There are 3 files with unofficial aircraft; They are committee approved, but I'll admit most oft he work is mine.
    I get thrown off sometimes when I find a card that somebody has done that shows different stats but those, stats from those files) are the stats I am primarily using.

And I sure do appreciate the work of you and the committee!

For a long time I loved WoW/G but I was frustrated with the official planes and the seemingly random release schedule. One night I did a little surfing and found AIM, Miscellaneous Miniatures and your files. I've been painting stuff almost nonstop now for a couple of months. I really do appreciate it!

I need to get around to posting some pictures of all the stuff I have been painting.

Jim
    Last edited by OKC_Jim; 11-04-2019 at 15:42.

Yes, most of us are frustrated with the slow/none release of new planes. This has been discussed ad nauseam on various threads here.
    If nothing else, for me, with fresh data, I can update other unofficial planes.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Hi Jim, what's AIM?

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Yes, most of us are frustrated with the slow/none release of new planes.
    Karl,

It shouldn't have come as a surprise to me since I have enjoyed painting miniatures for years, but I have found I really like painting my own planes. It adds a whole new level of enjoyment to the game.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Hi Jim, what's AIM?

Armaments In Miniature.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamen.../resin09mm.htm

He has all sorts of planes in the correct scale.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_Jim View Post
    Karl,

It shouldn't have come as a surprise to me since I have enjoyed painting miniatures for years, but I have found I really like painting my own planes. It adds a whole new level of enjoyment to the game.

Jim
    Oh, no doubt about that; when I get them done, I really enjoy painting my own schemes. The problem with the lack of new releases is the lack of official stats for new planes.
    Karl

Mike, OldGuy59, did some excellent cards for me for the Hawks at Pearl. Should be in his album collection.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Mike, OldGuy59, did some excellent cards for me for the Hawks at Pearl. Should be in his album collection.

Neil
    Thanks, Neil.

Those look great. Big thanks to OldGuy59 too for doing them.

Happen to have any sources that give the aircraft indentification/buzz numbers?

So far all I have found are planes for Rasmussen, Brown, Welch, and Taylor. The first two are P-36 and the second two are P-40.

Thanks,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_Jim View Post
    Thanks, Neil.

Those look great. Big thanks to OldGuy59 too for doing them.

Happen to have any sources that give the aircraft indentification/buzz numbers?

So far all I have found are planes for Rasmussen, Brown, Welch, and Taylor. The first two are P-36 and the second two are P-40.

Thanks,

Jim
    Not sure that this is what you are looking for, but I use this site, sometimes, for finding units and pilots for paint jobs on planes that members post:
    P-36s: Wings Pallette - Curtiss P-36 Hawk/Hawk 75
    P-40s: Wings Pallette - Curtiss P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk/Tomahawk
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. Pearl Harbor
    By Boreas in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-02-2019, 12:47
  2. Pearl Harbor B-17
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2017, 12:46
  3. Pearl Harbor
    By Captjimc7 in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 2