Ares Games

Thread: spinning prop sizes

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Default spinning prop sizes

This is for https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/me...4-Oberst-Hajj:

I was ordering some spinning props from the Aerodrome Store and I noticed there was not an option for the three prop 14mm size for that one. Is that currently not in stock or available?
    I went ahead and ordered the 19mm size hoping that they won't be too big for the airplane I need the for.

Wherever I have found documentation, the propeller diameter is listed in the Wings of Linen wiki. You just have to divide by 144 for scaling.

The 19mm is good for most. ARES models Pfalz, DVII are 19mm, DR1, N17, Halb DII 18, new SE5As are 16.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The 19mm is good for most. ARES models Pfalz, DVII are 19mm, DR1, N17, Halb DII 18, new SE5As are 16.
    The request for the 12mm or 14mm size of three prop version is not for WW1 aircraft. They are for WW2 1/200 scale aircraft.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Wherever I have found documentation, the propeller diameter is listed in the Wings of Linen wiki. You just have to divide by 144 for scaling.
    My question is not for WW1 aircraft but for WW2 1/200 scale aircraft. IE: SM-79 Spaviero, C-47, etc.

I've used 10mm and 14mm for my WW2 panes. I'd ask Keith for the size and type you want.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

I've used 10mm and 14mm for my WW2 panes. I'd ask Keith for the size and type you want.
    At the moment I only see 10mm or 19mm available in the three prop spinning prop drop down list. No 14mm. I really would prefer to get the 14mm three prop spinning props for the C-47's and the SM.79 Spaviero's. Currently I am using the 19mm size since that's the only thing available.
    That's why I was asking about the 14mm Three prop versions. Are they currently unavailable?

Whenever I look in the aerodrome store for spinning props it is different on what is available. I have a feeling Keith makes these on an irregular schedule. I have cut down 19mm in the past but it is not recommended. I would ask Keith for the size and type you are looking to buy.

I purchased a whole bunch of his spinning prop inventory on 1 April. I had to back down some of my quantities to match the in stock inventory. I know I cleaned out a few sizes. Sorry about that.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    I purchased a whole bunch of his spinning prop inventory on 1 April. I had to back down some of my quantities to match the in stock inventory. I know I cleaned out a few sizes. Sorry about that.
    SO IT WAS YOU!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR LOL LOL LOL

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Yeah, I sent him a PM. Haven't heard back yet.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Keith, are you making any 12mm or 14mm three blade spinning prop discs? I need at least a couple of each pkg of 10 for use on some C-47s and other large aircraft. Sizes I need are not in the drop down menu.

I'll try and get some of these sizes restocked over the next week or so when I have a chance. If there are any new sizes needed, let me know and I'll see if I the material to make them up as well.

Do you make 19mm two blade props?

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Do you make 19mm two blade props?
    Yes, they are just out of stock.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

I'm not sure if it would be considered "New Size" or not, but 12mm Three blade prop and 14mm Three blade prop would be great. I'm finding that the 19mm three blade prop size is too big for the C-47s and the SM.79's.
    If you make both sizes I will buy them. Let us know when they become available please! And Thank you.

Any projection on a restocking of the Aerodrome store?

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Any projection on a restocking of the Aerodrome store?
    I second this. I've gotten quite a few used planes, the props on them are invariably damaged.

Maybe next week for the spinning props. I'm in the middle of a large home project that all my spare time is going to right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Maybe next week for the spinning props. I'm in the middle of a large home project that all my spare time is going to right now.
    You mean you put things like work and personal life before Wings of Gory?

I'm disillusioned...

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post

Has life calmed down a bit. Was wondering if you had a chance to restock?

Well, now that there is no store to speak of, is there any way to still obtain these (or something very similar to them)?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by schoon View Post
    Well, now that there is no store to speak of, is there any way to still obtain these (or something very similar to them)?
    I'm thinking that I may have to custom order some disks in the size I need from Litko. I doubt if they will be able to replicate the two/three/four blade spinning prop markings on them. I have yet to go into their "custom" side of their website to see how to go about having them made.

If someone here does so, please share... Especially if you have the specifics for what you had made. Perhaps if enough of us request them and ask them to make them a part of their product line up they will.
    Just a thought.

Which Litko sizes would everyone (anyone?) recommend for 1/300 WW1 aircraft? The 10mm looked promising from the above discussion.

An example, the P-561 Mustang prop was 10'6". So at 1/300 it would be 10.668mm, pretty close to 10mm.

For planes as small as those, I'd first of all try punching holes in throw-away clear blister plastic using a standard hole punch.

I used to use those for 1/700 WW2 planes, but they were quite a bit too big.

For the smaller WW1 planes they might work out OK (and if not, chuck 'em and go Litko!).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

TT - I've slowly gone off the "bespoke" ones after seeing how "chunky" they are.

FH - Yes, that sounds like the better route; I have some printer acetates left over from my days using Oberhead Projectors (remember those?) and I know I have a file-punch somewhere..... Thanks!

A photo from my Albums showing prop disc size...

Name:  1700.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  181.7 KB

I suspect they'll be a bit too small for 1/300, but try one out for size and see what you think...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks - much appreciated!

Similar Missions

1. Western Front: Flight sizes
    By Sam Urai in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-01-2021, 03:54
  2. Photograph sizes
    By RJG173 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2019, 14:08
  3. How-to make a spinning prop
    By Grey Knight in forum Hobby Room