Ares Games
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mess of The Cocky Young Men !

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Thanks Dave! It got very confusing.
    There's three shovels out there - take your pick.... !

Yep that would do it! Iam 80% Irish according to my DNA result.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 08-25-2020 at 20:45.

"He is wise who watches"

Question

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    There's three shovels out there - take your pick.... !

Yep that would do it! Iam 80% Irish according to my DNA result.
    No Idea how that happened. I started a new post to reply & which somehow ended up on Dave's original message!

Smile

No Idea how that happened. I started a new post to reply & which somehow ended up on Dave's original message!
    Click on Edit on my post to see if you can do it again Baz.

Trying again Dave!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 08-31-2020 at 02:32.

"He is wise who watches"

Question

Well that's weird. How come I can do that?

You must have some access level you're unaware of Baz because you have Edit Post as an option - normally you'd have just Reply & Reply With Quote.
    Have a cast about and see where else you have the option, it may be just in OTT but could be elsewhere too.
    It may mean you can perform other admin functions as well.

"He is wise who watches"

Smile

You must have some access level you're unaware of Baz because you have Edit Post as an option - normally you'd have just Reply & Reply With Quote.
    Have a cast about and see where else you have the option, it may be just in OTT but could be elsewhere too.
    It may mean you can perform other admin functions as well.
    Thanks Dave. I will have a poke about.

Uncle will be on leave for the next week to ten days so won't be in a position to process AAR, BRF or rosters until his return though he hopes to be able to monitor goings on.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Uncle will be on leave for the next week to ten days so won't be in a position to process AAR, BRF or rosters until his return though he hopes to be able to monitor goings on.
    Enjoy your R & R Dave.

Cheers Baz, dog/house sitting for my sister back in Sussex, visiting son, grandson and the new bump due next year. We know how lockdown was spent now !

"He is wise who watches"

We know how lockdown was spent now !

Cheers to the new addition.

... dog/house sitting ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snoopy.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	293823
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Congrats on the bump and enjoy the break.

I am a baby boomer, I wonder what they will call the virus boomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snoopy.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	293823

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Congrats on the bump and enjoy the break.

I am a baby boomer, I wonder what they will call the virus boomers.
    How about Lockdown boomers.
    Incidentally Cosmologically speaking I have always been a believer in the Big Bang theory.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Is it luck or is ShadowDragon cooking the books in the CYM campaign or something else? A strange comment - especially since what would be the point of the latter since one can play a scenario several times and choose any one of them for the submitted AAR. However, I've only played each once. I just don't have the time to play the scenarios more than once.

So, I looked at the statistics - the SeaDogs have outshot (i.e., a firing opportunity and not the number of damage cards drawn) in air to air combat 3 to 2 (107 to 72 for the missions so far). When it comes to non-fire / collision damage cards drawn it about 5 to 3 (144 to 88.) Since I only play one of the aircraft why the difference?

One factor is that when an enemy aircraft is forced back to base its movements become easier to predict plus the hunter plane can easily tail the prey. It's something I would like to somehow change - lately I've taken to diving the escaping aircraft if its in friendly territory with the idea if it gets low enough AA will be able to engage the pursuer. That has helped.

The other is that I've played altitude with the N11 easily able to outclimb the EIII. The difference that makes is that the N11s are more able to pick when and where they'll engage and have less chance of a random long shot from an aircraft other than the target chosen by an N11 and if there is a shot from behind it will likely be for 1 damage card. It won't be the case with when engaging 2-seaters due to their arc of fire; in those missions the shot exchange ratio is pretty much 1 to 1. I expect with EIII being replaced by Halberstadts and Albatrosses in the up coming missions the altitude advantage will disappear. I usually try to insert a climb card anytime the AI has a straight, but we will see.

Where there's been an imbalance is in the dreaded Boom card and nearly as bad for fragile aircraft the Fire card. Here the luck has certainly fallen in favour of the SeaDogs, but it was really only in the first two and a half missions. After that the number of these special cards drawn for each side are within a standard deviation of the expected number based on the number of damage cards drawn. The SeaDogs got 9 of these while the expected number based on the total for both sides was 7 +/- 6. The Adlers got 3 with the expected number being 5 +/- 5. As you can see from the standard deviations the variation can be large.

What's really been terrible are the C&W draws. That is what it is I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Is it luck or is ShadowDragon cooking the books in the CYM campaign or something else? A strange comment - especially since what would be the point of the latter since one can play a scenario several times and choose any one of them for the submitted AAR. However, I've only played each once. I just don't have the time to play the scenarios more than once.

So, I looked at the statistics - the SeaDogs have outshot (i.e., a firing opportunity and not the number of damage cards drawn) in air to air combat 3 to 2 (107 to 72 for the missions so far). When it comes to non-fire / collision damage cards drawn it about 5 to 3 (144 to 88.) Since I only play one of the aircraft why the difference?

One factor is that when an enemy aircraft is forced back to base its movements become easier to predict plus the hunter plane can easily tail the prey. It's something I would like to somehow change - lately I've taken to diving the escaping aircraft if its in friendly territory with the idea if it gets low enough AA will be able to engage the pursuer. That has helped.

The other is that I've played altitude with the N11 easily able to outclimb the EIII. The difference that makes is that the N11s are more able to pick when and where they'll engage and have less chance of a random long shot from an aircraft other than the target chosen by an N11 and if there is a shot from behind it will likely be for 1 damage card. It won't be the case with when engaging 2-seaters due to their arc of fire; in those missions the shot exchange ratio is pretty much 1 to 1. I expect with EIII being replaced by Halberstadts and Albatrosses in the up coming missions the altitude advantage will disappear. I usually try to insert a climb card anytime the AI has a straight, but we will see.

Where there's been an imbalance is in the dreaded Boom card and nearly as bad for fragile aircraft the Fire card. Here the luck has certainly fallen in favour of the SeaDogs, but it was really only in the first two and a half missions. After that the number of these special cards drawn for each side are within a standard deviation of the expected number based on the number of damage cards drawn. The SeaDogs got 9 of these while the expected number based on the total for both sides was 7 +/- 6. The Adlers got 3 with the expected number being 5 +/- 5. As you can see from the standard deviations the variation can be large.

What's really been terrible are the C&W draws. That is what it is I suppose.
    My post got me curious to dig a little more into the stats of my games - in particular to check the stats as I only did a quick survey of the above. As I noted the luck for some of specials do favour the Seadogs but the results are still well within a standard deviation of expectations; and that's due to the low odds of fire/booms which leads to a wide range. Also noted was that the Seadogs drew more damage cards and therefore more chances of specials.

The check just confirmed this, but I also wanted to look further into the effect of games up to Mission 5 and those after Mission 5. Two things occurred to change things after Mission 5. First, I thought that playing the altitude advantage was a mistake as I was losing shots at long range and therefore losing missions where I had to bring down 2-seaters, so I started having the Seadogs prefer to fight on the same level as the Adlers. The second was that the Seadogs started to face more 2-seaters and more capable scouts (i.e., Halberstadts). (Mission 4 being the only mission up to 5 with 2-seaters, for the rest the Seadogs face mostly EIII and a couple of captured Nieuport 11s.) The change was startling - the advantage for the Seadogs up to Mission 5 was nearly 2:1 (actually 1.85 to 1) in terms of non-special card (i.e., Boom and extra fire damage) damage done including +1 for advantage shots. From mission 6 to 8 its fallen to an advantage of just 1.15 to 1, which is probably not surprising for players versus AI but definitely things have been closer to being on par since Mission 6.

One thing I noticed was that the +1 for an advantage (altitude or tailing) is, for B damage cards, equivalent to an extra damage card, which means that it somewhat compensates for losing the 2nd card damage card at close range. Naturally long range shots are lost. So I'm thinking of going back to a strategy of the Seadogs trying to gain an altitude advantage.

I have also questioned the potential +1 advantage for altitude vs. the loss of a long range shot.
    With so many zeros in the "B" deck it's not much of an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I have also questioned the potential +1 advantage for altitude vs. the loss of a long range shot.
    With so many zeros in the "B" deck it's not much of an advantage.
    Quite so Pete. In my experience its better to be at the same altitude and have the 2 cards advantage of a close range shot than the potential +1. Perhaps a house rule is in order here such as ignore all zeros drawn when firing from above .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Unhappy Life getting in the way!

G'day Chaps!
    With the settlement on the sale of my property & the Villa purchase looming ever closer I am struggling to catch up with the OTT missions.
    Its being a huge job clearing out 35+ years of "stuff" from the Farm.
    I might have a chance next week if things work out but it looks like I will be moving mid December so I might go "Missing in Action" depending on how the timing works.

Dave I may need to ask for somebody to volunteer to take over my January BRF if things get too complicated.

No worries on the BRF front Baz, let me know nearer the time once you're sure, I'm think that the few of us left in the air will be able to cover it !
    Having moved after many years in the same house ourselves not that long ago I know what you must be going through - Once I got into letting go of the detritus I found it a cathartic exercise, it was well worth the pain.
    Wish you luck with it - and don't be a stranger, your input is appreciated AAR or no.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

No worries on the BRF front Baz, let me know nearer the time once you're sure, I'm think that the few of us left in the air will be able to cover it !
    Having moved after many years in the same house ourselves not that long ago I know what you must be going through - Once I got into letting go of the detritus I found it a cathartic exercise, it was well worth the pain.
    Wish you luck with it - and don't be a stranger, your input is appreciated AAR or no.
    Thanks Dave! The WoG models, games table & supports plus all my F1, Le Mans models plus 1/72 WW2 aero models will be securely packed & carefully moved.

Everything else is "secondary" Oh except all my Ospreys & WW1 books!

Thanks Dave! The WoG models, games table & supports plus all my F1, Le Mans models plus 1/72 WW2 aero models will be securely packed & carefully moved.
    Everything else is "secondary" Oh except all my Ospreys & WW1 books!
    And the vino !

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

And the vino !
    I will drink that before the move & then re-stock.

Default Merry Christmas Chaps !

Having just seen the latest crushing news from the PM that Christmas is effectively cancelled for many due to a mutation in the Corona virus here in the UK and the introduction of a new 'Tier 4' of counter measures in London and parts of the south east of England I thought, f*** it, I'll wish all our campaigners, a very merry Christmas anyway !
    We're not all under the cosh and I know that we're the type of chap who will make the best of whatever the situation we're in so, wherever you are, whatever the restrictions, I wish you all to have as merry a Christmas as you can manage in the circumstances you're in and that we all have a happier, healthier new year in 2021.
    We'll beat this thing yet.
    Cheers Dave

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers, Dave.

It's going to be different Christmas, that's for sure.
    Won't be heading up to Vancouver to see my kids or grandchildren, but will have "Facetime Christmas".
    Already a year since I've seen them - guess it will be a while yet before the border is opened up again.

It's funny how the solo campaigns have slowed down as much as the in-person games, it seems.
    The time off should give me time to get Paul's mission played.

So here's to a Very Merry Christmas to all the Cocky Young Men, and all of the Aerodrome members.

Thanks Dave! Even down here Christmas has been disrupted by an outbreak in Sydney's Northern Beaches which has resulted in State Border closures. Daughter Virginias younger son & partner Emily were due to visit after Christmas but it looks like they wont be able to come up from Victoria.
    No problems down here on the South Coast or Canberra.

Will see my daughter & her fella on Christmas day - they're ten minutes up the road from us - but that's all we're allowed this year, which is OK 'cos she's got some Shapeways for me !
    My son & grandson are 105 miles out so we'll have to wait a while longer before we see them again, or, the rest of the extended family about 60 miles out. (FISHMO).
    Stay safe chaps, I'll raise a glass on the day to you.

"He is wise who watches"

Living in rural Brittany self isolation is not a problem, but my boy is in Spain /Gibraltar and has a new daughter born in October who we haven't met yet except on screen. Still we wiĺl get to see our daughter and her boys for a few days but after that who knows. You guys in the UK must feel like lepers as the rest of the world seems to have closed their borders to you. Gotta hope by September things are under control so Doncaster and all the other cons can get up and running.
    Joyeux Noel to you all

Congrats to your youngster & hope you get to meet your granddaughter in person soon mate.
    Hopefully the vaccine will be well in effect by September - whether it's enough by then we'll have to see but I think most of the chaps that attend Donnie will have had it by then for one reason or another...
    Whether HMG will let EU residents in is another question !

"He is wise who watches"

Merry Christmas to the WoG crew and players - far and wide.

Got Mission 10 under the belt.

Might be a while before I get it posted, though.

Since everyone but Dave seems to be running behind, it might be an idea to take a 'New Year's Break' like we usually do a Christmas one in December.
    That would give Baz time to get the next briefing loaded.

Here's to the New Year.

Might be the answer Pete. Havnt even run my mission yet !!!!

...Since everyone but Dave seems to be running behind, it might be an idea to take a 'New Year's Break' like we usually do a Christmas one in December...
    It's pretty much you, me, Paul, Paul & John just now Pete, most everyone else has stalled at Mission 8 for one reason or another.
    I haven't arranged anyone to do the BRF for January since Baz excused himself due to his move so I'm happy to have a break - we didn't do one in the summer or at Christmas this time - I'm thinking give it a couple of months & re-start 1st March. This should give those who wish to plenty of time to catch up, if they catch up sooner or stand down we'll start earlier.
    I have PM'd all pilots to join the discussion before this is finalised.
    Last edited by flash; 01-01-2021 at 03:27.

"He is wise who watches"

A break to allow to allow people to catch-up makes sense. Happy to go along with whatever the others wish but it’s doesn’t appear that anyone’s pushing to charge on.

I'm all for a break so I can catch up. Flew Mission 5(!) Wednesday and am writing it up now. Will be flying 6 this weekend....

It might be a good opportunity for a tutorial for the newer pilots, how to get organized and involved. The results of your efforts to date are impressive with your research and equipment and cool photos. Not to mention your narratives! Makes many of us into intrigued and addicted audiences! With the reprints on the horizon and the covid restrictions still with us we could be rebooting ourselves. . . . just pondering our new year . . . "Keep 'em flying!"

I am all for a break - whatever works - especially for you, Dave.
    I find it better when we are all on the same page, mission-wise.

I am all for a break - whatever works - especially for you, Dave.
    I find it better when we are all on the same page, mission-wise.
    Thing is Uncle doesn't get a break - I just get a break from playing but that's OK. I will add breaks in to the roster in future

"He is wise who watches"

Default A Fresh Eagle (To Pluck)

As we are resetting Dan (Camelbeagle) - a gentleman from the great state of Ohio - is taking the opportunity to have a go at OTT from Mission 8 alongside the chaps playing catch up. Please give him any assistance he needs as he takes to the air with us for the first time over the trenches.
    Welcome Dan.

Onkel says:

Finally, another Eagle in the nest !
    Last edited by flash; 01-01-2021 at 11:22.

"He is wise who watches"

Welcome, Dan. Glad you found your way here.

RFC or Adler?

A Fresh Eagle (To Pluck)

Onkel says:

Finally, another Eagle in the nest !
    Guess...........go on, guess.......

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Smile

G'day Dave & all the other OTT CYM pilots.
    A break until March would certainly help me.
    We had a big storm on Boxing day which flooded my garage & of course managed to wet the one box of my Osprey collection which was vulnerable.
    Much drying out via a little sun the next day & then flicking through the pages to make sure they did not stick together & using my small fan heater to dry them out.
    Fortunately looks like all will be saved but now they need to be "pressed" back flat!
    Still got more boxes to unpack & have ordered some new furniture to fit the Villa.

Best wishes for a much better year in 2021.

Hi Gents! Flash has been wonderful and is letting me join up for the Central Powers! Trying to get everything digested and sorted so I can start up!

Welcome aboard Dan. We're outnumbered as usual. Our Eagles definitely need some help.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Hi Gents! Flash has been wonderful and is letting me join up for the Central Powers! Trying to get everything digested and sorted so I can start up!
    Welcome to the OTT skies, Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    A Fresh Eagle (To Pluck)

Guess...........go on, guess.......

DOH!

Welcome to the fray Dan, you're starting at the tougher end of the campaign so good luck with it, I hope you have some fun with it.

"He is wise who watches"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 01:53
  2. Mess of The Daring Young Men !
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 541
    Last Post: 02-21-2020, 02:29
  3. Get 'em When They're Young
    By Stumptonian in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-24-2017, 23:43
  4. What goes on in the mess, stays in the mess.......
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:34
  5. 33 yrs old... I mean young lol
    By HTRAINo in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 21:36