Ares Games

Thread: Tailing for Friendly aircraft?

Default Tailing for Friendly aircraft?

IN my group, we typically play 3-4 planes and pilots on a side. We don't allow any communication or consultation, so it makes it rather difficult for a wingman to cover the leader's tail.

I was thinking that a simple change might be to allow the tailing rules to also apply to friendly aircraft.....any thoughts?

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

I don't think the rules apply tailing to only enemy aircraft, so why not.

Default Flying in formation

Quote Originally Posted by rcboater View Post
    IN my group, we typically play 3-4 planes and pilots on a side. We don't allow any communication or consultation, so it makes it rather difficult for a wingman to cover the leader's tail.

I was thinking that a simple change might be to allow the tailing rules to also apply to friendly aircraft.....any thoughts?
    We have been using 'friendly tailing' as formation flying in our WW1 campaign for the last eight months, and it works well.

We also allow brief hand signals between players, although the enemy is also watching!

Good luck,

Carl.

I usually give each player 2 planes to control. Problem solved

Alternatively, you could always try a variation on the "Flying Patrols" rule and have only the lead aircraft plot moves with the others then playing the same manoeuvre after he places his card (or just use the same one if all your side are using the same deck type). If you have a mixed flight, you might consider having the lead plane use the deck for the slowest plane in the group.

Using this, you could have a flight of 4 move together then give a hand signal to split into singles or pairs (giving full control back to the other flight members, except for pairs where the leads would still control movement until they signalled their wingman to split off). I also allow aircraft to rejoin as long as they are within 1 height level and 1/2 ruler base to base (I let the rejoining models use a sideslip card to make any slight spacing/facing adjustments so they match direction exactly with the lead plane).

I tj´hink there is no problem with tailing friendly planes and handsignals but (additionaly) I prefer the two planes per player solution. Two planes are more fun than one and you still have something to do when one planes gets shot down...

Default 2 plane solution

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    I tj´hink there is no problem with tailing friendly planes and handsignals but (additionaly) I prefer the two planes per player solution. Two planes are more fun than one and you still have something to do when one planes gets shot down...
    If you are playing the WW2 version you should play 2 (or 3) aircraft, but the issue with WW1 is that it allows for 'perfect' coordination which did not exist due to no radio communications.

The idea of wingmen was not in use during WWI. they would fly in formation to the target area and then once battle started it was every man for him self. That said, we have always used tailing rules for formation flying and the occasional wingman "moves" while getting back into the fight... but then it breaks down to every man for him self again.

We simply allow friendly aircraft that are within 1/2 range of each other reveal the first 2 maneuver cards to each other for the game turn. This way each "pilot" still has free choice as to what they are going to do, and occasionally errors are made!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    The idea of wingmen was not in use during WWI. they would fly in formation to the target area and then once battle started it was every man for him self.
    That's usually what happens in-game too. I just don't like the formation banging into each other every other game before they get anywhere near the enemy

LOL, sounds like they need to learn to fly then!

I found this thread because we use friendly tailing and I was considering asking what others thought about this, but made a little search first - So, obviously, I'm on the "yes" team.