55 7.28%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A more mature game?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I am 42 and my late Father would be proud of me getting out of PC World War 2 Aviation games and into Wings of Glory. I remember how he firstly taught me Chess and then when I beat him (aged 9 when he was distracted by something on TV!) we moved onto Diplomacy (which is very like Risk) ... This I most missed about not having him around any more. Now the Wife and I have discovered Wings of Glory we both play and have noted how the opposition has so far consisted of a variety of ages. Long live WGF / WGS!!!

Let the old boys rule

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

There is definitely a maturity amongst Wings of War / Glory players which is reflected IMHO in the quality of posts / threads found on the Aerodrome. Although there are certain words which the Aerodrome automatically bleeps if typed even as part of another word (i e Bruce ****inson as in the lead singer of Iron Maiden) I think back to what I have read on here and to the responses I have received. Wise precaution even though I have a very hard time picturing somebody on here using such words / language with adverse intent.

Then I compare the Aerodrome to other particularly PC simulation games - the sort of thing I used to play 24/7 before I discovered Wings of Glory ... Glory be where do I start?! Some of them with younger captive audiences which I have seen are in places as bad as Youtube. I would say IE Entertainment Network's Warbirds is the best of them which I have actually used: Too much adversity and I just did not bother. At times this was at the expense of learning more about the game or learning any handy tips for turning oneself into an Ace. I feel that age is not an issue IMHO - not when the benefits shine through like they do on the Aerodrome.

I'm 52, and I have always loved history, miniatures and building models. Gaming with them is even better. When I was a kid, I would paint HO plastic army men and invent games. This game gives me all the above. I share the gaming with my 10 yo daughter. I've introduced her to WoG, Heroclix, Lord of the Rings miniature game, chess, assorted board games. I tried computer similuation games and strategy, but it felt so empty. I'd rather play with the pieces that I can actually hold. Virtual reality isn't real enough for me.
    As for the others that mention that kids today are lacking in historical knowledge, it's absolutely true. I teach art at the High School level and I know for a fact that the students have no grasp of history at all. They know so little about anything that came before them. And most don't care to know. It's very sad and our school system doesn't care much either. Too busy testing instead of teaching... I shall not rant on about this.
    I've wantd to start a game club at our school, but I'm not sure if I have the patience at the end of the day to work on it. The kids can be quite draining.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Max Von Below View Post
    I'm 52, and I have always loved history, miniatures and building models. Gaming with them is even better. When I was a kid, I would paint HO plastic army men and invent games. This game gives me all the above. I share the gaming with my 10 yo daughter. I've introduced her to WoG, Heroclix, Lord of the Rings miniature game, chess, assorted board games. I tried computer similuation games and strategy, but it felt so empty. I'd rather play with the pieces that I can actually hold. Virtual reality isn't real enough for me.
    As for the others that mention that kids today are lacking in historical knowledge, it's absolutely true. I teach art at the High School level and I know for a fact that the students have no grasp of history at all. They know so little about anything that came before them. And most don't care to know. It's very sad and our school system doesn't care much either. Too busy testing instead of teaching... I shall not rant on about this.
    I've wantd to start a game club at our school, but I'm not sure if I have the patience at the end of the day to work on it. The kids can be quite draining.
    G'day Greg a couple of our Forum members have started gaming at their schools using WoG which is real dedication.
    I put on a display & talk using WoG models & mats at the Batemans Bay Museum during a week long WW1 history display for local Primary School pupils. Gave out some Ace cards to those who remembered some of my points & answered the question correctly. Hopefully it might have ignited some interest in WW1 aviation.

WoG display 1.JPG Views: 389 Size: 103.0 KB">WoG display 1.JPGWoG display 2.JPG Views: 389 Size: 156.7 KB">WoG display 2.JPGWoG display 5 dogfight.JPG Views: 390 Size: 163.8 KB">WoG display 5 dogfight.JPG

Quite the aerial display, Barry... I spy some nice repaint/custom jobs. How was the talk received by the kids?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Quite the aerial display, Barry... I spy some nice repaint/custom jobs. How was the talk received by the kids?
    Surprisingly well received by most of them & a few were really engaged & they were the ones who won the Ace Cards.

I know what you mean Greg. I too have thought about it, and in fact do run an early morning boardgames club at school, but only much simpler games as we only have half an hour. I will need to get a few more planes in order to run a WOG game and the plane buying is strictly controlled by my wife!

Unless I can persuade the school to buy a couple of squadrons.

Hi Nathan,
    Ah Yes, the wife gambit is a tough one to play against. I too must maneuver around that myself.
    I'm not sure a WWI game would fit it to the mindset of the younger generation. Magic the Gathering and such seems to be a bigger draw. I would struggle with hosting games that don't interest me, anyway... I'm not sure how I would approach it.
    Very nice presentation, Barry. Great pics of action. Was that part of the display, too?

I think games are potentially a very good way to engage children with a huge number of concepts, including history, which, as we have been bemoaning on this thread children seem to be less and less interested in. Both my boys, 11 & 8, love playing WOG but don't at this stage have a full appreciation of the history behind it. If they stick with the game though the interest will probably come, as I expected many members here will testify.

That said leading games like this in a school context are much more difficult. We will just have to keep chewing it over and see if any good ideas emerge.

I'm not sure a WWI game would fit it to the mindset of the younger generation. Magic the Gathering and such seems to be a bigger draw. I would struggle with hosting games that don't interest me, anyway... I'm not sure how I would approach it.
    Greg;
    Last year, a number of the Buckeye Gamers setup a standing game demo at Dawn Patrol at the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Now granted, the families were going to see WW1 planes. However, we found the children to be attentive and very interested with both the game and the history. I would not underestimate what can be achieved with an adult who treats them as an equal, and provides an interesting media for fun and learning.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I agree that gaming has many benefits. It's the High School age kids that I teach and organizing it comes with obstacles that I would need to address. Its something I'm going to have to plan out and talk with my colleagues at the school. I have the perfect space to do this kind of stuff... We'll see.

Surely there are teachers among us who can develop a syllabus to guide those of us who would be willing to do this sort of thing!

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Surely there are teachers among us who can develop a syllabus to guide those of us who would be willing to do this sort of thing!
    What would you like to see?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I'd be happy to help, too! With 30 years in public education, I definitely have a sense of what works and what doesn't

All the best,
    Matt

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

We have a gaming club in its infant stages at my high school...I shall see if, once they get started, there's any interest in 'figure gaming'...right now they seem mainly to be tailoring it (or at least advertising it on the announcements) to the card folks (Magic, Yu-gi-oh, etc...). I shall keep you posted. The fact that WoG has a 'card' base may prove attractive...

All the best,
    Matt

well as of the 1st i need to be bumped to the next category

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    well as of the 1st i need to be bumped to the next category
    Ha! me too.

One month to go until I need a "bump-up" too
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Trying to get people under 18 interested.

Wait! Now I'm in the wrong group.

Over 50% are 41+, I am 68+ and love gaming.

I've probably moved up to the oldest group since voting.

Still have 2 and a half years to the top group...sigh.

Gaming is alive in schools around here. One of my better customers uses my painted armies at game nights at school. Granted most are fantasy type games but still it ain't card flopping or computer games. Local hobby store also has WOG nights once a month and runs from teens to retirees. I have noticed the average age of tabletop gamers seems to be in the 30 plus range at stores and 50 plus at wargaming cons around here though. Euro trash games do seem to be very popular at one of the local game stores on game nights. If I could just find someone interested in sitting down to a few on my old Avalon Hill or SPI games that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    There is definitely a maturity amongst Wings of War / Glory players which is reflected IMHO in the quality of posts / threads found on the Aerodrome. Although there are certain words which the Aerodrome automatically bleeps if typed even as part of another word (i e Bruce ****inson as in the lead singer of Iron Maiden)
    This is quite amusing in a round-about way. I'm in the top group. I've been a wargamer for over 50 years. One of my earliest opponents was the afore-mentioned Bruce ***inson when we were both about 11/12 when he was living in Sheffield, still known as Paul, (his Dad was Bruce) and before he went off to Boarding school. I wonder if he remembers those days?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I've probably moved up to the oldest group since voting.
    But you've moved just from one to next one, I crossed the next one and now I am in the n+2!

There must be something wrong with the poll. Every time I look at it I keep getting older.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    There must be something wrong with the poll. Every time I look at it I keep getting older.
    Good one.

61 and over sounds much better than 71.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Consider the fact that we have younger players that aren't members. I have converted my 17 year old & my 14 year old to the game. I have also interested several younger guys at my local game store.

Well done, John! The next trick is to keep their interest as lots of new games appear.

The poll does bring up a good point, as gamers we need to subvert the younger players to our side! Much like the classic car hobby, if we don’t pass it on and gen interest there won’t be a hobby in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by rkhlegacy View Post
    I have only had the chance to play with my own family but everyone loves the game from the youngest at 8 to the oldest at 60.

Setarius is right, computer games dominate the younger generations but I think it has more to do with a lack of parents sitting down with their kids and playing board games. I believe kids today see their computer games as "Thinking" games because no one has shown them anything else. I happen to love chess but I doubt I would have ever played it if my Dad had not taken the time to teach and play chess with me and my brother.

There is hope for the younlings if we convert them one gamer at a time!
    I am 15 and most everybody in my family plays it even the 6-year-old!

9 years since this poll was taken, I would say the average age is now in the 60 year range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    9 years since this poll was taken, I would say the average age is now in the 60 year range.
    well there are 3 members of the forum that turn 60 in 2019 that I know of

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I will be 72 in March and I know I'm not the elder statesman here so maytbe it is time for another snapshot of our demographic.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I will be 72 in March and I know I'm not the elder statesman here so maytbe it is time for another snapshot of our demographic.
    Rob.
    Sounds like a good idea... I think WingCo has the right of it.

Possibly encouraging. I went to a Con in South Florida over the weekend and my wife spotted some people playing Wings of Glory: WWI and they were young people. Not a one over 30 and I would guess younger than that. One guy was supplying all of the planes and had a nice selection of planes already, probably about 20ish? Not sure exactly. Of course the down side is that for him to find what he wanted he had to go to eBay.

Interesting. Was 18 when I joined the site, which puts me at 24 now. Still love the game but I find life tends to make it difficult. Working two jobs, just got married, friends who do play the game have moved or are busy too, that kind of thing.

C74FD932-5E3F-4549-9B9A-9BF0F35E1D4E.jpg

How old am I? When I was a kid and this game was brand new, and now. Do the math. Sigh....

1FFBF492-547F-46F7-9390-2FDA99A289D8.jpg

Another year passes but 6 months until my next birthday and I still have to wait another bloody year to get into the top bracket.....please don't move the goalposts.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Another year passes but 6 months until my next birthday and I still have to wait another bloody year to get into the top bracket.....please don't move the goalposts.

Neil
    You and me to Neil

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Interesting. Was 18 when I joined the site, which puts me at 24 now. Still love the game but I find life tends to make it difficult. Working two jobs, just got married, friends who do play the game have moved or are busy too, that kind of thing.
    Wait until you have kids. A decade later you’ll be wondering how you missed certain movies in the theater. Certain TV shows when first run. TV shows that had MANY seasons AFTER you had kids. Then comes the long wait until they are old enough to play!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Wait until you have kids. A decade later you’ll be wondering how you missed certain movies in the theater. Certain TV shows when first run. TV shows that had MANY seasons AFTER you had kids. Then comes the long wait until they are old enough to play!
    Wise words. My kids are 6, 4 , and 2 years old and I know what you're talking about. On the other hand: hey it's just TV shows and movies - who cares? Having kids is much more satisfying than those shallow distractions.

Well, not so far from playing age. Here a great report by a father playing with a 7 and a 5 years old children.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/291...-daughter-my-s

Ummm Dawn Patrol...those are Dogfight minitures...I remember that game and there may still be a player copy in the game room at the FLGS.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Well, not so far from playing age. Here a great report by a father playing with a 7 and a 5 years old children.

We haven't tried WGF, yet. The suggested age is 14, I guess. We have experienced, that this recommendations are quite meaningful. My oldest son loves Mice and Mystics (the recommended age is 7-8, but we stop playing after an hour, as I recognized his concentration is gone after that time. He joins school in September and can't read, yet. But he knows every rule, ability and equipment. In fact he is more firm with the rules than his dad), Magic Maze Junior, LEGO Heroica, Wer war's and Fangt Hubi (both Ravensburger).

He loves to invent rules (mostly for his benefit) and new adventures for Mice and Mystics and Heroica which are usually very unbalanced or endless. That's very annoying in game, but we don't want to hinder his creativity. So I try to make him sensibly for the impact on the motivation of the players, if there's a surprising new special rule in mid-game, or a all major monster respawn.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

We haven't tried WGF, yet. The suggested age is 14, I guess. We have experienced, that this recommendations are quite meaningful. My oldest son loves Mice and Mystics (the recommended age is 7-8, but we stop playing after an hour, as I recognized his concentration is gone after that time. He joins school in September and can't read, yet. But he knows every rule, ability and equipment. In fact he is more firm with the rules than his dad), Magic Maze Junior, LEGO Heroica, Wer war's and Fangt Hubi (both Ravensburger).

He loves to invent rules (mostly for his benefit) and new adventures for Mice and Mystics and Heroica which are usually very unbalanced or endless. That's very annoying in game, but we don't want to hinder his creativity. So I try to make him sensibly for the impact on the motivation of the players, if there's a surprising new special rule in mid-game, or a all monster respawn, after dad thought the game is over.

Well, in our case I think that the 14 years indication is mainy because there are small pointy propellers in the modelò and game materials that are not tested as toys. In any case no hurry - every player has his preferences at different ages, no need to force anybody.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Well, in our case I think that the 14 years indication is mainy because there are small pointy propellers in the modelò and game materials that are not tested as toys. In any case no hurry - every player has his preferences at different ages, no need to force anybody.
    Yes, I'm aware, that the small parts are integrated in the age recommendation, but the main reason for not trying WGF, yet, is that I have recognised, that his sense for tactic or strategy isn't very distinct, yet. There are other games which are more suitable for his age, in my opinion. We like especially the HABA line. He hasn't asked to play WGF, yet, so I have to wait for 3-4 years, I think.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Custom Computer Game
    By Walahalla in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 07:07
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 02:46