Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August workbench 2021

Default August workbench 2021

Well, someone had to start it and, seeing as I had the last post in July, it only seems fitting…

My British Mk IV is awaiting me to set up the paint booth so I have begun work on my A7V. The chassis is pretty much done and all 96 track pads and 96 track links are cleaned up and awaiting assembly and glueing in my custom-made jig:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EAA57DE8-C854-41B3-8E47-59B3B9E1604D.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	304810

Name:	E3E7CCED-12D9-4EE7-83D3-067E6C9F1ECA.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	304811

Name:	CA3D4B4B-AA63-4227-A27C-C29A3DFCC308.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	304812

Still a way to go yet though and I have decided on a colour scheme other than that provided - the fact that I live in Australia might give you a clue!

Nice work Wayne, some encouragement from the Tank Museum before it got dirty:

"He is wise who watches"

Ha, that’s the scheme in the kit but I’ve chosen a different one! Any guesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Ha, that’s the scheme in the kit but I’ve chosen a different one! Any guesses?
    Pink?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Keeping it simple ?

"He is wise who watches"

Nup, both wrong. Australia is the clue!

Mephisto:

Name:	av7-tank-canberra-australia.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	304814
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Name:	Aussie.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	304843
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Yep, Mephisto it is!

But nice guess Tim - no medal for you I’m afraid.

And here is the after market decal set I bought for it:

Name:	3972C784-1C5B-4DD7-B15B-C170ECF8C4AA.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	304848

And here is the back story https://www.awm.gov.au/about/our-work/projects/mephisto
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 08-01-2021 at 21:42.

That’s going to look great... keep us posted

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Ive finally finished cleaning up and assembling the tracks! 48 track links each side, each made up of 2 parts which have to glued together. Here’s what it will look like.

Name:	2D082ECE-8B70-445F-B239-0B7EDA3139DA.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	304894

I assembled them by laying the pads face down in my jig five at a time, clipping five links together and then cementing the 5 links to the 5 pads. After leaving the assemblies to dry I then clipped the sets of five (and one set of 3) together to give me a run of 48 assembled links. Having draped the one set, I might have to add an extra assembled link to each side.

It’s really time to set up my paint booth!

Oh dear, have I killed off this thread by going slightly off topic? My apologies to all!

More on topic than most Wayne, at least it's WW1 ! It was good to see the decal sheet - I now realise the Devil is running with a British tank under his arm, at first glance I thought it was a surfboard ! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article.

"He is wise who watches"

Had a chance to return to driving this week so I pulled the old Ford out of storage only to find my rear view mirror B-24 had melted in our extreme heat! So I replaced it with 2 metal models on an aluminium rod, kinda liking it!

Name:	20210806_133237_resized.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	304968

In action . . .

Name:	20210806_133044_resized.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	304969

Makes every run to the store a bomb run! Can you say that without getting tagged as a terrorist? We'll see . . .

That is pure EXCELLENCE! I think they are targeting that port-a-potty. And well they should... I can't even imagine what that must smell like in Arizona in the summer!

Here in Colorado, I'd probably get a ticket for some sort of visual obstruction law...

Time for another full-color 3D print. This time I wanted to do a German aircraft with lozenge fabric, since those are a real pain to decal. So... Willi Gabriel's Fokker D.VII 286/18 of Jasta 11:

Name:	FokD7_WG1-600.JPG 
Views:	174 
ID:	305114 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokD7_WG2-600.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	305115

I really like the way the lozenge fabric turned out! You can even see the turquoise rib tape. My eyes aren't good enough to read the lettering on the fuselage side, but it certainly looks realistic.

After looking at the test print I made some small tweaks: carrying the tail and nose colors over to the underside, making the upper wing crosses slightly smaller so they don't wrap over the edge, and improving the streaked Fokker fabric.

Oh, and here is a matching plane card:

Name:	FokD7-Gabriel-card.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	305116

Oh, that is just magnificent!

How do I get one?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Oh, that is just magnificent! How do I get one?
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1042727...olor-miniature
    Under "Color Scheme" you can select from four choices.

It will be interesting when someone orders from England because I'm not sure how and whether Etsy & Shapeways will handle VAT or if I'll just come out behind on the deal on that first order. We'll see! (It's also unfortunate that Shapeways is charging $14.99 to ship to the U.K.)

I'm thinking of making a Facebook page for Reduced Aircraft Factory and also posting to the "Wings of War / Glory: Buy, Sell, or Trade" group, but I don't know how many people read that. But that way there would be a place to announce any new paint schemes or models.

Wow! That DVII print is amazing.

How much???!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Stunning work Daryl

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1042727...olor-miniature
    Under "Color Scheme" you can select from four choices.

It will be interesting when someone orders from England because I'm not sure how and whether Etsy & Shapeways will handle VAT or if I'll just come out behind on the deal on that first order. We'll see! (It's also unfortunate that Shapeways is charging $14.99 to ship to the U.K.)

I'm thinking of making a Facebook page for Reduced Aircraft Factory and also posting to the "Wings of War / Glory: Buy, Sell, or Trade" group, but I don't know how many people read that. But that way there would be a place to announce any new paint schemes or models.
    Excellent work, Daryl! You got me for a Degalow and a Gabriel... I mean, that way the shapeways US shipping of $10.79 is offset right?

I'm in that Facebook group but hardly ever check it, much more likely to see it here but I'm sure this is a comparatively small audience.

Wow... just wow

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Click on the link, all of his planes in color range from $40-$50 That seems decent, now if only the Ares folks could cut a deal . . . Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Click on the link, all of his planes in color range from $40-$50 That seems decent, now if only the Ares folks could cut a deal . . . Nice work!
    Yeah, I wish it were less, but there is a whole laundry list of fees and add-on charges from Etsy and Shapeways to cover (e.g. Etsy charges a percentage of the shipping fee from Shapeways).

I'll be contacting Shapeways (again) to see if there's any relief on that or double-taxes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

I recently built six of the Zvezda Russian copy of the C-47 (Li-2) and painted them up as US C-47's. I didn't give them the invasion stripes because I could not find any in the correct size that I needed in stock from anyone. (My hands just won't allow for hand painting even with masking).
    I ended up getting two more Li-2's while waiting for one of my previous orders to arrive from the Russian Federation. So, now I have two extra unbuilt.
    My quandry is what to do with the two extra ones? Do I build them as British Dakota's? I only really needed six transports for one scenario, and really only a couple for a few other scenario ideas that I have in mind.
    Suggestions??

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Air racers come to mind . . .

Name:	20200404_112628.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	305159
    Too funny Dave.

Nice Fokker! Checking out the website myself. I hate doing the lozenge on the wings! I think I will get one just to check it out! Any Siemens Schuckerts on the horizon?
    Last edited by camelbeagle; 08-11-2021 at 06:16.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Nice Fokker! Checking out the website myself. I hate doing the lozenge on the wings! I think I will get one just to check it out! Any Siemens Schuckerts on the horizon?
    Actually a thought. What about a "blank" D.VII with the wings done. That would leave it up to the buyer to paint the fuselage to spec.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Actually a thought. What about a "blank" D.VII with the wings done. That would leave it up to the buyer to paint the fuselage to spec.
    Karl
    That'd be a nice idea. Or just do full lozenge camo on the fuselage, which could be painted over or decals as needed.

Here are a couple ornate candidates for full schemes.

Name:	IM7DA0~1.PNG 
Views:	151 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	305180

Name:	IME783~1.PNG 
Size:	369.1 KB 
ID:	305181

Name:	IMD248~1.PNG 
Views:	153 
Size:	348.0 KB 
ID:	305182
    Last edited by malachi; 08-11-2021 at 07:42.

Probably a better idea, Chris.
    Most of the Jastas I want to do have solid colored fuselages, but this will take care of the other ones.
    Karl

Hmm, a blank fuselage is an interesting idea... especially since I could do one with factory fresh wing colors and one with fading (from sun and weather). The different crosses available in 1918 would be another factor.

Hmm, a blank fuselage is an interesting idea... especially since I could do one with factory fresh wing colors and one with fading (from sun and weather). The different crosses available in 1918 would be another factor.
    Would less colorization lower the cost any?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Would less colorization lower the cost any?
    Alas no. One thing that could lower costs is if I could convince Shapeways to sell the full-color material directly rather than having to go through Etsy.

Well, I might as well throw some suggestions out there to. If you have to time, a couple of Jasta 5 Albatros would be awesome! Don't know how much work and effort it takes to set one up, but if I don't ask it most likely will not happen.

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	305183

Name:	PHEON32016-2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	305184

Time for another full-color 3D print. This time I wanted to do a German aircraft with lozenge fabric, since those are a real pain to decal. So... Willi Gabriel's Fokker D.VII 286/18 of Jasta 11:

Name:	FokD7_WG1-600.JPG 
Views:	174 
ID:	305114 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokD7_WG2-600.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	305115

I really like the way the lozenge fabric turned out! You can even see the turquoise rib tape. My eyes aren't good enough to read the lettering on the fuselage side, but it certainly looks realistic.

After looking at the test print I made some small tweaks: carrying the tail and nose colors over to the underside, making the upper wing crosses slightly smaller so they don't wrap over the edge, and improving the streaked Fokker fabric.

Oh, and here is a matching plane card:

Name:	FokD7-Gabriel-card.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	305116
    wait,wait, the colors are PRINTED???????? You're selling them? Cannot begin to imagine how you did those.! wow..........

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Well, I might as well throw some suggestions out there to. If you have to time, a couple of Jasta 5 Albatros would be awesome!
    It sure doesn't hurt to ask! The first time I do a plane type (e.g. Albatros D.V), there is a significant amount of work to do, but after the first one, doing new paint schemes is only an hour or two of work. So the big hurdle will be getting a D.V "unwrapped" so it can be textured. That one is high on my list, though, because there are so many great paint schemes for D.V's.

Couldn't quite bring myself to pull the trigger on the Gabriel...yet!

I did find out that I get 4% cashback on Etsy purchases, so that makes it a wee bit cheaper in the long run.

I think I will be adding the Berthold and Degelow to my collection in the next few weeks.

Would LOVE a Jasta 18
    (and a J18 Pfalz)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Would LOVE a Jasta 18
    (and a J18 Pfalz)
    I your choice, but surely these are just about the easiest repaint candidates out there...?

Remarkable development! The day is fast approaching when one can print anything. My son Michael has ventured into the realm of "print and play" paper games, now the ability to make color miniatures as well will one day make elves obsolete, what shall I tell them?

They can become your graphic designers!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I your choice, but surely these are just about the easiest repaint candidates out there...?
    Maybe for some ...

Oh to be 30 years younger again ...

Remarkable development! The day is fast approaching when one can print anything. My son Michael has ventured into the realm of "print and play" paper games, now the ability to make color miniatures as well
    I have Kickstartered a couple of those lately.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Here are a couple ornate candidates for full schemes.

Name:	IME783~1.PNG 
Size:	369.1 KB 
ID:	305181

Name:	IMD248~1.PNG 
Views:	153 
Size:	348.0 KB 
ID:	305182
    I should be able to make this available in the latter half of next week, but it's looking good so far. That's the first one I've done with four-color lozenge camouflage. -- all the others were five-color fabric.

Name:	Schadel.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	305351

Looking sweet Daryl. You can count on me ordering one! I love the pipe smoking skull!

Haha! Nice one, Daryl. I think I'd better have one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. July Workbench 2021
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 07-27-2021, 00:32
  2. June Workbench 2021
    By Von Scharf in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 07-01-2021, 10:29
  3. May Workbench 2021
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room