Ares Games

Thread: OTTDYM Mission 8 - Operation Judgement - 27th February 1916 - teaticket

Default OTTDYM Mission 8 - Operation Judgement - 27th February 1916 - teaticket

(Unfortunately, I lost the first few photos. Not sure what happened but that’s war. The action with photos starts on the ~third/forth turn. I know this is a bit late off the mark but life has been a bit hectic since summer. Hopefully with the extension through January I'll be able to catch up.)

Captain Jerome stood with his back to the six flyers. A large map hung on the wall in front of him. After explaining the mission to his flyers, he motioned to them to come up to the map. They all looked very closely at the terrain at the target and the surrounding area, especially the approach.

Jerome was relieved when they left the room. He is even more relieved that Remy isn’t here for the mission briefing. His eyes were a little glassy and he had to put in all his effort not to teeter while standing. He didn’t even remember drinking before breakfast.

Walking to the hangars the crew discussed the mission.
    “Why do we have to fly straight up the valley? Jerome insists we do so. I think we’d fare much better coming in from above and dropping in for the run right at the end”. Eitienne grumbled.

“Maybe he knows something we don’t? His approach does keep us low and out of sight”, Armand replied.

“Jerome is not a pilot. What does he know about flying? How would he know what is best? Flying down in the cutting gives us no room to maneuver. How will we evade any Hun aircraft? You know they will be patrolling the area. Once we’re in the cutting we’ll be sitting ducks”. Eitienne went on.

Eitienne stopped talking realizing he was putting a black cloud on the mission.
    “Ok gentlemen”, Eitienne shouted to the other five as they stood next to their aircraft, engines running. “I’ll buy the champagne when we return after dropping our eggs in their nest!” He signals a thumbs up and climbed into his cockpit. The others did the same and soon were in the air heading north east.

Eitienne Martin led the flight of three two seaters in a Morane-Saulnier P type.
    Armand Lambert followed closely behind in another P type.
    Jacques Rousseau lagged a little behind in a Caudron G.4.

Eitienne recognized a few terrain features and knew they were close. He signaled the others to drop down. They would know it was show time.

As the railroad cutting came into view, Eitienne flew to it like a moth to a flame with the others close behind. As soon as they dropped into the cut a machine gun opened up from the floor of the cut. The French flight must have surprised the gunners as they missed Eitienne. He returned fire and picked off a soldier. Each plane peppered the machine gun position keeping them from getting off any aimed shots of their own. A few holes appeared in the wings of the planes following Eitienne.

A German biplane appeared from the right just above the flight. Shots were exchanged and Lucien Moreau got in the last one. Otto Reittinger’s Fokker crumpled and fell into the cut as the French flight flew on.

Another Hun appeared, this time on the left. Lucien instinctively ducks as Schmeiss sends a few rounds over his head.
    Eitienne and Armand try but fail to silence an Anti-Aircraft gun below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	279002

Another AA gun opens up but has trouble calculating the range in the cut.

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	279003

Lucien quickly gets his nerve back and fill an eindecker with his lead.

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	279004

This time a gunner finds the range and altitude. Eitienne Martin and Laurent Colbert can’t wish hard enough to keep their Morane in the air. They dive off to the right and crash into the wall of the cut.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	279005

Herve gets a shot at the Pfalz passing above while Jacques takes out a few gunners below.
    A new Hun appears above the cut and joins the chase of the Frenchmen.

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	279006

Armand and Jacques drop down as low as they can to stay away from the hunters above. Armand fires on the AA gun position to his front while Lucien does the same to the rear.

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	279007

A third Hun, Konrad Dahl, closes in while Lothar Ochs flies above the cutting getting ready to drop down.

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	279008

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	279009

Jacques and Lucien pepper the gun crew again but fail to take it out.
    The Hun above struggle to get into the cut.

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	279010

Another machine gun in the cut opens up. The Morane is shredded. Armand fights with the controls but the Morane twists against his will and smashes into the cut.

Name:	10.jpg 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	279011

Jacques has one last chance to take out the AA but no bullets leave his machine gun’s barrel.
    The Hun above, twisting and turning to line up the cut are finally in position to dive down and attack the remaining French bomber.

Name:	11.jpg 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	279012

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	279013

The last mg between Jacques and the target fires. Jacques frantically tries to get his weapon firing again but is having a difficult time.
    The flock of Germans are getting closer and ready to pounce.

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	279014

Konrad is angry that he hasn’t been able to dive at the Frenchman but he fears running into Lothar.
    The Caudron begins to smoke as the mg in the cut rips into it. (this shot is at +1)

Name:	14.jpg 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	279015

Jacques clears his gun but immediately focuses on the target ahead. He puts one hand on the bomb release, ready to pull.
    Schmeiss can’t believe what he sees. “What are those idiots doing”? Dahl and Ochs still can’t get a shot at the Caudron.

Name:	15.jpg 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	279016

Schmeiss screams as he finally sends bullets streaming into the Caudron.
    Jacques notices another MG above the tunnel. With the stick between his knees he places his second hand back on the machine gun trigger, but misses.

Name:	16.jpg 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	279017

Herve’s return fire at Schmeiss quickly sends the Pfalz into the ground.
    The MG over the tunnel takes careful aim. The Caudron shudders, almost stopping in the air. It struggles briefly but it’s fate is sealed. Jacques and Herve hold on as they gain speed in their dive into the ground.

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	279018

Butcher’s Bill

Kaiser’s Eagles

Name:	24.jpg 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	279019
    Otto Reittinger EXP FT 0 Kills
    C 6 -3(exp) = 3, injured, 5 = -5 missions, done for the war

Name:	18.jpg 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	279020
    Peter Schmeiss EXP FT 0 Kills
    C 5 -3(exp) = 2 KIA

Name:	19.jpg 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	279021
    Konrad Dahl RTB 0 Kills

Lothar Ochs RTB 0 Kills

Les Bouledogues

Name:	23.jpg 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	279022
    Ettienne Martin SD ET 0 Kills
    C 5 -1(sd) = 4 injured, 4 = -4 missions, done for the war
    E 5 -1(wic) -1(bel) = 3 Captured but escapes, 5 = -3 missions

Laurent Colbert SD ET 0 Kills
    C 7 -1(sd) = 6 injured, 4 = -2 missions
    E 2 -1(wic) -1(bel) = 0, Captured, the war is over for this one!

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	279023
    Armand Lambert EXP ET 0 Kills
    C 7 -3(exp) = 4 injured, 2 = -2 missions
    E 8 -1(wic) -1(bel) = 6 in hiding, 5 = -2 missions

Lucien Moreau EXP ET 1 Kill
    C 2 -3(exp) = -1 KIA

Name:	21.jpg 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	279024
    Jacques Rousseau EXP ET 0 Kills
    C 8 -3(exp) = 5 injured, 4 = -2 missions
    E 6 -1(wic) -1(bel) = 4, captured but escapes! 4 = -2 missions

Herve Soucy EXP ET 1 Kill
    C 8 -3(exp) = 5 injured, 4 = -2 missions
    E 6 -1(wic) -1(bel) = 4, captured but escaped! 4 = -2 missions
    Last edited by Teaticket; 12-07-2019 at 14:44. Reason: Title & Tally adjust

This was a deadly mission for all, if I recall correctly.
    Your boys followed suit.
    A valiant effort, but unfortunately I am unable to give you well-deserved rep at this time.

P.S. You threw me off with "Flashes" in the title. You must have copied from Dave's AAR

Title corrected

Good to see your French Bulldogs back in action Peter, their machines look superb as always even if they did get a battering. The Eagles look none too shoddy either !
    Well played mon amis

Oncle says:

Sacre bleu ! We have given our all but we must find more to give - it is time to rebuild, replace our losses & wait for our heroes to return to the fray

PM me any replacements you need Pierre !

Rep gun jammed.
    Last edited by flash; 12-07-2019 at 03:02.

"He is wise who watches"

use the force Jacques. trust your feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    use the force Jacques. trust your feelings.
    I almost used that line. Jacques was so close, one more card and he could have released his bomb. C'est la vie!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    This was a deadly mission for all, if I recall correctly.
    Your boys followed suit.
    A valiant effort, but unfortunately I am unable to give you well-deserved rep at this time.

P.S. You threw me off with "Flashes" in the title. You must have copied from Dave's AAR
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Title corrected

Good to see your French Bulldogs back in action Peter, their machines look superb as always even if they did get a battering. The Eagles look none too shoddy either !
    Well played mon amis

Oncle says:

Sacre bleu ! We have given our all but we must find more to give - it is time to rebuild, replace our losses & wait for our heroes to return to the fray

PM me any replacements you need Pierre !

Rep gun jammed.
    Oops, I did copy the title from Dave's AAR and forgot to delete the Flash! Thanks Dave for correcting this.

For a brief moment I thought I was going to get through but those Booms were everywhere! The AA put up it's fair share of hits too and were a devil to strafe. The very first AA MG in the cut was taken out but no more after that.

Oooch, this was the sort of deadly outcome for the attackers I was expecting from the get-go. Unfortunate that it all seems to have fallen on your head.

But the look of the "unofficial" minis deserves it own rep. Well done with those, especially the riggin on the Type Ps.

Thumbs up

Sacre Blu! That is a deadly mission Peter as my own game proved but at least you took down a few Huns.
    Great to see you back at the Front mate.

Have some Rep on me seeing most chaps have Gun Jambs at present.
    Love your Aircraft & that Pfalz is exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Oooch, this was the sort of deadly outcome for the attackers I was expecting from the get-go. Unfortunate that it all seems to have fallen on your head.

But the look of the "unofficial" minis deserves it own rep. Well done with those, especially the riggin on the Type Ps.
    Yeah, before starting this one I had a bad feeling. At least I got to use some of my different airplanes again.

Wow Quelle disaster for your brave French flyers 5 planes down in one mission, that must be close to a record. There's not much to rebuild on, more like a fresh start.

Some very nice planes flying in and over the cutting, c'est la guerre.

Uh oh another wipe out A brave show indeed, but nobody will get to drink any champagne I fear. I remember a similar outcome in my mission eight, but I made that extra card and was able to drop the eggs. Bad luck that, with all of those boom cards about.
    RIP Peter Schmeiss and Lucien Moreau. Pity about the missing pics but the story is well told Peter, as always
    REP inbound

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-13-2019, 12:16
  2. AAR OTT-DYM Mission 8: Operation Judgement - 27 February 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2019, 09:44
  3. AAR OTT DYM Mission 8 - Operation Judgement - 27th Feb 1916---gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-11-2019, 09:21
  4. AAR OTTDYM Mission7 Dit Fromage - 19th February 1916 - teaticket
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-15-2019, 02:39
  5. Replies: 15