Ares Games

Thread: The finger generatiion

Default The finger generatiion

I went cruising recently on the magnificent Ovation of the Seas. For my flight home we were on a Qantas B747 and it just felt so old. The entertainment in particular was a fold out screen from the chair arm and a corded remote control device. After fiddling with this setup for a while I watched a movie but could not help thinking how these days we are so used to touch screen devices. Watching TV in the evening we have our tablets handy in case we want to look anything up and the streets are full of folk using thumbs and fingers to do their thing with their phones etc. We really are the finger generation.

What comes next I wonder

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I went cruising recently on the magnificent Ovation of the Seas. For my flight home we were on a Qantas B747 and it just felt so old. The entertainment in particular was a fold out screen from the chair arm and a corded remote control device. After fiddling with this setup for a while I watched a movie but could not help thinking how these days we are so used to touch screen devices. Watching TV in the evening we have our tablets handy in case we want to look anything up and the streets are full of folk using thumbs and fingers to do their thing with their phones etc. We really are the finger generation.

What comes next I wonder
    I think "Voice Activation" Gary!
    Already available on some computers & TV's.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I think "Voice Activation" Gary!
    Doesn’t work with SWMBO Baz

Recently got an Amazon Dot with voice activated Alexa. Now got 2 women in my life that ignore me......
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

The next step would be 'thought activated' - a headset picking up electrical signals from your brain and converting them into commands.

"We really are the finger generation." or you can be an old fart stuck in the 20th century like me.

Voice activation for TV is up and running where I live in MD but I still have my old remote.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    "We really are the finger generation." or you can be an old fart stuck in the 20th century like me.
    And me! I would be much happier with a STEAM phone as then it would make sense to me I am sure! There were steam locomotives about when I was lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    And me! I would be much happier with a STEAM phone as then it would make sense to me I am sure! There were steam locomotives about when I was lad.
    I used to catch the 0409 mail steam train from Campbelltown to Central station in Sydney back in 1967. I worked as a telegram messenger in the GPO. Rode my bike all over the Sydney CBD including over the Sydney Harbour bridge once. Behind the GPO in a laneway there was the Fantastic Toy Shop which did a roaring trade from us boys in model kits.

I used to catch the 0409 mail steam train from Campbelltown to Central station in Sydney back in 1967. I worked as a telegram messenger in the GPO. Rode my bike all over the Sydney CBD including over the Sydney Harbour bridge once. Behind the GPO in a laneway there was the Fantastic Toy Shop which did a roaring trade from us boys in model kits.
    Coincidence! I started my working life in 1958 as a telegraph messenger (Telegram Boy) in London's South East District Office at the Borough but cycled to work every day until I got my motorbike that is. I then progressed to riding a BSA Bantam and was posted to every South London Telegraph Office over the following couple of years
    I could have passed 'The Knowledge' (London Cab Exam) with no trouble as long as it was restricted to South London. Did get to go to all parts of London when I was on the pushbikes but always by Tube., quite often carrying a 'Special Delivery' large bunch of flowers..

...We really are the finger generation. What comes next I wonder
    Dunno Gary, I asked my missus what's next after fingering.... seems it's a thick ear

"He is wise who watches"

Bad Flash. Bad, bad Flash!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Interesting and good to know Rebel. These days I look at the traffic in any CBD and wonder how the heck we survived as telegram boys. Did you get to be a Telegraphist?

Interesting and good to know Rebel. These days I look at the traffic in any CBD and wonder how the heck we survived as telegram boys. Did you get to be a Telegraphist?
    No, got to be a 'Young Postman' at a pathetic wage so left for pastures new. While they were paying me (albeit a small amount of money) to ride a motorbike all day I was happy; but when they took the bike away and expected me to walk and deliver letters that was a step too far. Yes pun intended!

Similar Missions

1. Albatros DV test build finger training
    By MadMike in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 07:46
  2. Voisin 5 Scratch build (The Finger is good)
    By Linz in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 20:14