Ares Games

Thread: Flying (and Sailing) This Weekend

Default Flying (and Sailing) This Weekend

Every year a friend of mine invites 20-30 of his wargame buddies to his house in the woods for a wargame weekend. I leave tomorrow for my annual pilgrimage. I'll be playing a number of Wings games on Saturday morning, a big Bolt Action game on Saturday afternoon, and a big Sails of Glory game Saturday night. After the long drive Friday evening is relegated to the easy play "Screaming Eagles" jet dog fight game (a simpler version of Wings only with missiles and deflection flares...). Really looking forward to it -- haven't gamed with other human beings since May...

Sounds like a blast!

Hope you have a great time, Bill!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Sounds like a blast!

Thanks! I'm VERY psyched !

Sounds like a blast Bill. Don't wear yourself out and save some of your good shots for Council!

Have a good weekend, Bill. Safe journeys.

"20 or 30 wargame buddies"

That's incredible - enjoy your weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Sounds like a blast!

Thanks Tim !

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sounds like a blast Bill. Don't wear yourself out and save some of your good shots for Council!
    I hope to save some of those good shots for your games at Council of the Five Nations -- in fact I was lovingly holding my P-40s yesterday thinking about it !

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Have a good weekend, Bill. Safe journeys.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    "20 or 30 wargame buddies"

That's incredible - enjoy your weekend!
    Yeah its a pretty cool weekend -- he has 5 to 6 gaming stations set up at multiple locations in his house for continuous gaming all weekend (including DBA, Bolt Action, Flames of War, and other miniature gaming as well as board gaming locations for Friedrich,Screaming Eagles, etc. ). Folks drive in from New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc. -- kind of like a war game slumber party with lots of beer, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    sounds like fun!
    It really is -- to say I'm really cranked up about it would be a gross understatement !

Safe travels, and have a blast (to your opponents, not your planes/vehicles)!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Safe travels, and have a blast (to your opponents, not your planes/vehicles)!
    Thanks Mike !
    Bill

Had a fabulous war gaming weekend -- multiple Wings games and a large scale Bolt Action Stalingrad game -- I've attached some photos below. To celebrate the Stalingrad game, our host purchased a replica 1942 Russian Army motorcycle with side car and gave participants rides on the trails through the woods around his home-- I've attached several photos of that as well.

Name:  TimmyCon 1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  TimmyCon 2.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  158.4 KB

Name:  TimmyCon 3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  205.7 KB

Name:  TimmyCon 5.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  203.9 KB

Name:  TimmyCon 6.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  200.0 KB

Name:  TimmyCon 7.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  202.8 KB

That looks like a lot of fun Bill, undoubtedly you all had a good time blowing lumps off each other !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    Yeah its a pretty cool weekend -- he has 5 to 6 gaming stations set up at multiple locations in his house for continuous gaming all weekend (including DBA, Bolt Action, Flames of War, and other miniature gaming as well as board gaming locations for Friedrich,Screaming Eagles, etc. ). Folks drive in from New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc. -- kind of like a war game slumber party with lots of beer, I suppose.
    This sounds quite amazing, 5/6 gaming stations?, in the woods, with beer. Hog heaven

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That looks like a lot of fun Bill, undoubtedly you all had a good time blowing lumps off each other !
    had a great time -- too much to do in too little time, I'm afraid !

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    This sounds quite amazing, 5/6 gaming stations?, in the woods, with beer. Hog heaven
    Yes -- I ran a WW I Wings photo recon game and a general dogfight game and played in the big Bolt Action game -- there were DBA stations and a big ECW Field of Glory game of Cromwell against the Scots, and multiple Flames of War games. There was fantasy gaming as well (I'm not into that) -- a miniatures game called Bugs. Also lots of board gaming with Friedrich, Pirate's Cove, Formula De, Munchkin Booty, etc. Our host really goes all out on the hospitality front -- I liken the weekend to a Roman food orgy (along with pretty much every beer available in New England)....its Tuesday and I'm still recovering !!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

This looks like a wonderful time, Bill - so many games, so little time! This should practically qualify as a mini-convention! I bet you can't wait until next year...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    This looks like a wonderful time, Bill - so many games, so little time! This should practically qualify as a mini-convention! I bet you can't wait until next year...

All the best,
    Matt
    Hi Matt,
    It really is a lot of fun -- I am looking forward to next year !
    Bill

Similar Missions

1. Illinois: Last weekend
    By Beer&pretzels in forum US Wing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 12:52
  2. Off for the Weekend!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-20-2015, 15:05
  3. Appropriate For The Weekend
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club