Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for June.

Default What's on your workbench for June.

In my case just a bit of fluff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3817.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	91973

To add verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative.
    Rob.

Some 28mm Frenchies, just for a change

15mm Vikings
    Three "War Rocket" fleets

I have been well and truly diverted from all of my core projects just now!

Thumbs up

Mine is a short list. since they will receive RAF schemes it will make for less time at the paint shop. I just received three Peters planes 144 scale Beaufighter`s add to that a Crown boxed Lancaster and the long delayed Shapeways Martin Maryland!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6010271.jpg   P6010273.jpg   P6010269.jpg  

Origins... (always is a lot more work than you think...) (until the fun happens! )
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Origins... (always is a lot more work than you think...) (until the fun happens! )
    Boy, you got that right; and I'm only running some games, not herding the cats, like you!

Does rebuilding the front porch count??
    Karl

I am repainting a Gotha G.V to an Austro-Hungarian Gotha G.IV to donate it as a prize for Prague Summer Con 2013.

Karl

Porches are important on a different level!!!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Karl

Porches are important on a different level!!!

Rich
    Yeh, Happy wives, and happy neighbors (and one more thing off the major To-do list
    Karl

I only have 1/200 WGS projects pending this month:

2 x Air 200 Messerschmitt Bf 109F (Channel Front 1941)
    3 x AIM Savoia Marchetti SM.79 (North Africa 1941)
    3 x AIM Fiat G.50 (Spanish Civil War 1939)
    3 x AIM Macchi MC.200 (North Africa 1941)
    1 x Zvezda Junkers Ju 52 (Crete 1941)
    2 x Shapeways Glenn Martin 167F (Syria 1941)
    2 x Shapeways Heinkel He 51B (Spanish Civil War 1937)
    2 x Shapeways Polikarpov I-15bis (Spanish Civil War 1939)
    2 x Shapeways Fiat CR.32 (Spanish Civil War 1937)
    2 x Shapeways PZL P.11c (Poland 1939)
    2 x Shapeways CAC Boomerang (New Guinea 1943)
    1 x Shapeways CAC Wirraway (New Guniea 1943)

Then I have some Ares repaint jobs -

2 x Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I (PR version to RAF Fighter Command 1940)
    2 x Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (Belgian version to RAF Fighter Command 1940)
    2 x Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien (modify to radial engine Kawasaki Ki-100)

Target is eight aircraft complete by 30 June.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Yeh, Happy wives, and happy neighbors (and one more thing off the major To-do list
    Karl
    So long as the Porsche you refer to is not the wife's 918 you are giving a lick of paint to :wink:

A couple of 109's , P40 , Yak, Hurricane , Gotha, Alb. DII, and III. Some will make it to next mo. because I work slowly, almost backwards

So you thought I was napping, not whipping the elves into a frenzy did you . . .

Had to finish off my foam balloons before the Shapeways ones arrive tomorrow . . . . : ) And the Argus got a spotter too!

Who needs an island when you have a balloon?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    So long as the Porsche you refer to is not the wife's 918 you are giving a lick of paint to :wink:
    Steve, if I could afford a Porsche the porch would have been done a lond time ago
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So you thought I was napping, not whipping the elves into a frenzy did you . . .

Had to finish off my foam balloons before the Shapeways ones arrive tomorrow . . . . : ) And the Argus got a spotter too!

Who needs an island when you have a balloon?
    So you have the Elves working part time only then?
    Rob.

Looks like a low output month here, only have a couple dozen painting projects, all that is left on my Wings bucket list is another Staaken build of 6+, the FF60, and the Shapeways Balloons due in today. Getting to the end of my lists . . . oh my! Down to my last 30 Shapeway minis and the designers seem to be running low on projects as well . . . is the end near? Eschatology is fun until it arrives . . . might be time to open a second front, I hear the drums in the deep . . .

The Shapeway blimps didn't last a day, now the bench is e m p t y !

I was just about to throw away some offcuts of expanding foam when I had an idea.

Ian

Now a touch up of red/orange/grey/black spray and you have a mega-winner!!! I have to try this, I have several cans of the foam I picked up to try some pressure molding on balloons . . . unless the elves have used it for some wacky party gig . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Now a touch up of red/orange/grey/black spray and you have a mega-winner!!! I have to try this, I have several cans of the foam I picked up to try some pressure molding on balloons . . . unless the elves have used it for some wacky party gig . . .
    It was amazingly quick and simple to make. I cut the foam into blocks and pulled the edges off with my figers, cut a slit in one end to attach to the wing and its ready to paint. I'm sure the elves could make them in seconds.

Ian

It looks great Ian,
    but I bet the pilot wasn't very pleased with your idea.
    Rob.

I made some smoke that's much longer after the success with flames. These are so simple to make.

Ian

Ok Ian, walk me through it step by step, I have a can of spray foam in my left hand then . . . . careful, elves are watching, should they not be smoking?

Step one is optional, lay new floor.

Step 2, leftover foam!

Step 3, cut into narrower sections.

Step 4, tear bits off the edges till they turn round.

I cut a slit for the wing but found out later that this is best to leave till after its painted.

That's it really, you can make them whatever shape you like, the foam holds its shape really well.
    I found watered down paint good for the smoke.

The workbench soon turns into Cahos! The elves will love it. I'm sure you can smoke during all stages.

Nice work Ian.
    Judging from old film footage, smoke trails should be a lot longer than we do them.
    Thanks for the "How to."
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 06-11-2013 at 08:05.

Nice bit of lateral thinking there

Bit of painting therapy going on here . . .

Just fresh out of the paint shop:

Hope the Bombay G & T hold out! Father's Day is coming too . . .

Dave, I'd tell you that you were incorrigible if I could spell it.
    What a splendid addition to your Armada of aircraft.
    Keep up the good work.
    Rob.

Just finished 3 Sopwith 1 1/2 strutters for France. Staring on various Russian ac.

And Thursday's crop is harvested as well . . .

Those silly elves work so quietly . . .

Smile

Dave

You are trying to kill me! I am attempting to build four planes and you finish 20!

Rich

Smile

I have been working also.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6150286.jpg  

Currently the Bleriot XI's x 2 are in the works, Sopwith Pups x 4, Fokker DRI's x 8 and these two guys:

We are suffering from "not getting to go the prom (Origins) syndrome" here in 108 degree Phoenix . . . : (

Did have 2 Velom Pups ready to have the top wing added but a door bell and a sudden move from me sent item literally flying and of course the struts have gone missing from one , I have a beige carpet and the struts are brass, nightmare

Yikes! That is why I have one of those sticky tape lint rollers nearby to snag such items I cannot see . . . if that doesn't work I send in the elves . . .

Litter of new Pups! Delivery table:

And the happy new additions!

These guys will keep me up all night!

Unbelievable, Dave...

This is an incredible combination of mass production & unique and beautiful planes.

The elves were busy while I was at church today . . .

And the bash build got done too!

Some kind of a Morane thing!

Four more very nice Busses there Clipper.
    It is incredible what you can get done whilst away at church.
    Rob.

OK, Dave, you need to take some time off, and let the rest of us catch up.
    Seriously, your making me tired just reading this post. And I keep wondering why "Incredible" keeps going through my mind when I read you stuff.

BTW: when did they mount top wing guns on Pups?
    A Comic version?
    Karl

BTW: when did they mount top wing guns on Pups?
    A Comic version?
    Karl

Here's L H Rochford from 3 Naval by his pup which has a top wing Lewis in the summer of 1917.

Outstanding Clipper, keep it up!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post

Here's L H Rochford from 3 Naval by his pup which has a top wing Lewis in the summer of 1917.

Outstanding Clipper, keep it up!

Ian
    Ah, a 2-gun Pup. Aptly named, as now I "wonder" how the second gun effected the proformance (and thinking this discussion came up somewhere before).
    Karl

Ah, a 2-gun Pup. Aptly named, as now I "wonder" how the second gun effected the proformance (and thinking this discussion came up somewhere before).
    Karl
    This one would seem easy: How much did a Lewis and a couple ammo drums weigh (the mounting appears to be minimal -- maybe a couple pounds, tops)? And could that weight be made up elsewhere?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

This page will give you the weights of the most common weapons.
    http://www.century-of-flight.net/Avi...achineguns.htm
    The Lewis gun is the lightest of the guns used but, because of its open-bolt action it could not be synchronized. Other guns that were synced weighed up to twice as much. I can not find a source to quote right now except that the load limit for guns, ammo, and sync was generally around 150 pounds or so. As I stated in another thread elsewhere on the forum, the usual ammo load for a scout was 400 to 500 rounds regardless whether a plane had one gun or two. Even the two-seaters did not carry much more than that. A number of planes originally equipped with one gun were often rearmed with two but it seldom worked satisfactorily and most returned to their original configuration.

And one other thing: The mounting of a Lewis on the wing necessitated a mechanism (the Foster Mount) to bring it into the cockpit to be reloaded or you would only have the one drum for the entire mission.
    And here is a picture of a Lewis drum:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lewis 7.92mm.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	94334
    Note that this is of a Polish 7.92mm model but that is not much different from a 30-06 or .303 used by the Entante.

Finally. I found a reference that 500 rounds averaged somewhere around 92 pounds depending on caliber and belt. I would think that drums would be a bit more than that.
    Last edited by Suffern; 06-17-2013 at 20:00. Reason: correction

What we really need then is a slightly built pilot, like Albert Ball, to offset the extra weight.
    Rob.

The overwing mount in the pic doesn't look like a Foster mount -- one wonders if the idea was for the pilot to stand up in order to reload it (such mounts existed -- there is an infamous tale of a pilot dealing with a jammed Lewis drum who fell out of the cockpit when the unit stalled; the only reason he didn't die was that jammed drum).

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The overwing mount in the pic doesn't look like a Foster mount -- one wonders if the idea was for the pilot to stand up in order to reload it (such mounts existed -- there is an infamous tale of a pilot dealing with a jammed Lewis drum who fell out of the cockpit when the unit stalled; the only reason he didn't die was that jammed drum).
    True; a number of planes had non-Foster mounts. Mostly early war, and French. I'd say this wasn't a Foster's Mount.
    Karl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. My May's Workbench looks very familar . . . does yours?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 03:43
  2. WGF What's on your workbench this February?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 16:20
  3. New Workbench Area
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 02:21
  4. For those with models on the workbench...
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 08:03
  5. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58