Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands

Default How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands

I just received a few minis from a fellow gamer. The gamer used Litko stands and gimbal mountings, and didn't keep all the original stands. Also, I have some paper models, and have ordered Aerodrome Accessories stands for them. I want to match up all the models with stands, and put the data for the plane on each of the stands. Hmm... How do do this?

Since joining the forum, I had run across a Base Card file in the hobby section (I used them to make my home-made card bases. Thanks Zakopious), and even found a few card files that I wanted to customize for my paper models. One of the Photoshop files had a transparent image layer with the "Maneuver Deck", "Damage Deck", and "Damage" symbols (Thanks Jure Dolanec). Also, there are a few files by FO Kyte, such as: the Scout Transparency Base; or the Two Gun Transparency Base that would work, as well (or better?).

Trolling through a local business supply store this week, I found some InkJet clear (almost) address labels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RedBox6.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	85488

Eureka! Print the info on these labels, and stick them on the aftermarket stands. The stands are 44 mm wide, and the labels are 45mm wide. I just used a razor (X-acto Knife) to trim off the one side. I used an edited version of a transparent layer, and the Duality font to amend the information.

Name:	RedBox3.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	85485

This is what it looks like, close up:
    Aftermarket Stand Original Stand

Name:	RedBox4.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	85486 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RedBox5.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	85487
    And if you don't like the look, or get new planes (or the maneuver deck changes) - it is removable! I might even redo these with the Arrow Layer added in.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-09-2013 at 22:13. Reason: changes

Mike,
    If you want any more of my transparent markers, just let me know.
    I have done quite a few more since those, but I did not bother putting them in the files as you are the first person who has mentioned using them.
    Rob.

Looks like a neat solution

What a great idea! I may have to adapt this to put the Climb Rate on my bases. (Never understood why it wasn't on there) Very nice fix!

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    ...Never understood why it wasn't on there...
    You are right!

OldGuy,

Update:

Stripped the old stickers off, and added "Arrows":

Name:	RedBox9.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	85564

Name:	RedBoxA.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	85565

Climb Rates could be added, but that will wait until I start using Altitude Rules, which may be a way down the road.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Mike,
    If you want any more of my transparent markers, just let me know.
    I have done quite a few more since those, but I did not bother putting them in the files as you are the first person who has mentioned using them.
    Rob.
    Rob,
    All those weed sitters who troll the forum, using all the good ideas, but never telling anyone. To bad we don't have a download counter on the files. Although, I have probably downloaded a few files more than once, cause I forgot where I put them.

Do you have templates for WGS? I have a Spitfire Mk1 that doesn't have an original stand, that I'd like to do up. They are a bit different.

Mike

Got to admit I do not use anything fancy like that. I just cut out lable and find a base to fit the model.

Rob I like this idea, if you have the Spitfire Mk1, ME109 and JU87 done that would be great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Rob,
    All those weed sitters who troll the forum, using all the good ideas, but never telling anyone. To bad we don't have a download counter on the files. Although, I have probably downloaded a few files more than once, cause I forgot where I put them.

Do you have templates for WGS? I have a Spitfire Mk1 that doesn't have an original stand, that I'd like to do up. They are a bit different.

Mike

Rob,

Mike
    Sorry Mike I have no WGS as I only started playing it for real last month and Stormkahn provided all the merchandise for that.
    I don't even know which fonts WGS uses.
    My one bug about the site is the people who come in and download 50 files on the first visit and don't even stay to say thanks for all the fish. A quick thanks is just good manners after all.
    Rob.

Sir Yes Sir : I admit that i was one of those that got started in WOW just as it was in the big change over. as a TRUE NEWBIE i wanted EVERYTHING right NOW. and burned cd after cd of data. i therefore as one of the groups "SPOTTERS" do hereby THANK ALL OF THE PERSONS that nade all the files in the dl thread..
    < i have put myself on Restricted Canteen for a month> please? put more WOW cards up so i may losse them also...LOLClick image for larger version. 

Name:	sopwithcamel.JPG 
Views:	536 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	85615

Default Aerodrome Accessories Stands - with Climb Rate and Max Alt

Latest version of my project:

Labeled stands for my completed (or nearly completed) paper planes:

Name:	AltStands1.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	86644

Haptmann von Schleich's Albatros D.V. Just visible under the Altitude ring is the Climb Rate/Max Altitude numbers:

Name:	AltStands_Schleich.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	86642

I haven't printed off a card for him yet, but this is the old card and paper stand, and the new customized stand:

Name:	AltStands_Schleich2.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	86643

MacGregor's Stand (Camel B)

Name:	AltStands_MacGregor.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	86641

Coombe's Stand and plane (Camel C), and no custom card, yet (I do have a file, just not printed until I have a few more to go with it):

Name:	AltStands_Coombes.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	86640

The planes on the stands, and on a table:

Name:	AltStands2.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	86645

Name:	AltStands3.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	86646

I like the way these look, and I will be using gimbals, probably with a modified peg, rather than gluing to the model. These may be on the table for the Skype game on Saturday.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by boomerpete53 View Post
    Sir Yes Sir : I admit that i was one of those that got started in WOW just as it was in the big change over. as a TRUE NEWBIE i wanted EVERYTHING right NOW. and burned cd after cd of data. i therefore as one of the groups "SPOTTERS" do hereby THANK ALL OF THE PERSONS that nade all the files in the dl thread..
    < i have put myself on Restricted Canteen for a month> please? put more WOW cards up so i may losse them also...LOLClick image for larger version. 

Name:	sopwithcamel.JPG 
Views:	536 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	85615
    My remark does not apply to you Pete. you are a poster.
    It is just the ones that are like vultures. Swoop in pick the bones clean and you never hear from them at all.
    Even the Dolphins said "Thanks for all the fish".
    Rob.

Thanks for all the fish.

The resources that have been made available here are impressive and it is only polite to say to 'The Few' who have contributed to them, "thanks."

If it is of concern to people that they are being downloaded by casual visitors who make no contribution to the community, then perhaps the download facility should only be offered to members of a certain rank or higher. But this discussion is highjacking the original thread, which was an excellent and impressively simple idea for adapting an after-market base for this game. Nice one, thanks OldGuy59 for the post.

My remark does not apply to you Pete. you are a poster.
    It is just the ones that are like vultures. Swoop in pick the bones clean and you never hear from them at all.
    Yes, amazing to realise that there are around 2,000 registered site members who have never posted!

First off, great idea and thanks for showing!

Second, I'm beginning to see that I need to check 'drome first to make see if someone has solved puzzle that I'm facing before striking out on my own. I tried using Avery's Easy Peel Address Labels 88662, but when I went to peel them and stick to the base, they were frosted - which I didn't like. Then after visitng Office Depot, came across Avery Glossy Clear Rectangular Labels 22822. Downloaded their template from their website, opened in Mocrosoft Word, and added my Mini base image files to the docuemnt, then printed. Each label can hold about 4 aircraft data images.

Will add images when I get my camera out again...

okay, I'm back with an image...

and yes the Fokker D.VII is on my workbench for April...
    Last edited by freebird-52; 04-23-2013 at 17:58. Reason: added image...

I just came across your work on the Litko Stands. Thank you for your hard work.

Great ideas. I'm going to figure out to how to make these work for WGS with my meager skills.

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    What a great idea! I may have to adapt this to put the Climb Rate on my bases. (Never understood why it wasn't on there) Very nice fix!
    You are so right. I wish ARES would start putting climb rates on the base.

Having read this again, I notice that I turned down Old Guy re my WW2 templates for printing onto acetate.
    I expect things have moved on since then, but I now have lots of templates for both wars.
    If anyone thinks it is worthwhile my adding them to the files let me know here and I will get them done.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

All,
    Latest version of my label thing:

This needs a bit of colour balancing, but it was close enough for what I wanted. Back when a Forum member sold off his collection of planes, I acquired a Le Mesurier Spit with a gimbal mount and a blank stand. I needed another Spit for my Battle of Britain Adlertag re-enactment, so...

Name:	IMG_3039.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	174244

The label includes the climb rate and max altitude at the top, like the WGF versions above.

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	174245

You'd think that after doing all the cards, I could have done this much earlier. But, I hadn't attempted to fly every WWII plane I had, before, either.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Forgot I came across this thread yonks ago. Now I have oodles of litko and aerodrome stands that certainly could do with this make over.

Rob where did you source your labels in the uk?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Not trying to rain on anyones parade here but would there be any way of making everything easier to read for the old pharts who have to use a magnifying glass when playing especially for the damage chits on the WWII cards please?

Also, I have been using a label maker and just sticking the label on my litko stands but yours looks so much better. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Not trying to rain on anyones parade here but would there be any way of making everything easier to read for the old pharts who have to use a magnifying glass when playing especially for the damage chits on the WWII cards please?

Also, I have been using a label maker and just sticking the label on my litko stands but yours looks so much better. Thanks guys
    Hmmm... I was just trying to replicate the original as closely as possible.

If we are trying for legibility, we could do something like this:

Bold Print (No Icons) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Replication Version

Name:	BasePlateLabels.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	174298

PS: updated the image for a better comparison.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-25-2015 at 17:19.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Forgot I came across this thread yonks ago. Now I have oodles of litko and aerodrome stands that certainly could do with this make over.

Rob where did you source your labels in the uk?
    All mine are home made Neil.
    I print them onto OHP Acetate sheets and then sandwich them between a piece of perspex and the Oberst's bases.

Rob.

Ah. Gotcha.

Hmmm... I was just trying to replicate the original as closely as possible.

If we are trying for legibility, we could do something like this:

Bold Print (No Icons) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Replication Version

Name:	BasePlateLabels.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	174298

PS: updated the image for a better comparison.
    Thats better for me thanks.

Snoopy the Ace

Flying Officer Kyte:

Can I get your transparent base markers? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy the Ace View Post
    Flying Officer Kyte:

Can I get your transparent base markers? Thanks.
    Which ones do you want William.
    Rob.

Snoopy the Ace

Which ones do you want William.
    Rob.
    Definitely the two gun (I assume you mean two seater with two sets of guns). What else do you have? Thanks.

William

Right William.
    You can now find all my WW1 and WW2 Transparent overlays in my Photos section. Feel free to copy what you want.
    Rob.

Snoopy the Ace

Right William.
    You can now find all my WW1 and WW2 Transparent overlays in my Photos section. Feel free to copy what you want.
    Rob.
    Where is your Photos section? Thanks. William

Snoopy the Ace

Never mind. I found it. Thanks. William

Snoopy the Ace

These are awesome. Thanks so much.

My pleasure William. Just check them against the Unofficial Stats in the files to make sure nothing has changed since I created them.
    Rob.

Raiding photos.... I mean copying your photos as we speak/write......great work Rob. Now my clear base stands have the info they require.

Neil

Right William.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have difficulty reading the manoeuvre cards. I have to use a x 10 loup to read the card numbers in the bottom right hand corner. Dare I say it but the SAILS cards are much better being white figures on dark blue ground and I think a little larger font.

Glad to be of service gents, and many thanks for the Rep points Neil.
    Rob.

Brilliant solution, Mike. Most of the time for me spent in setting up a MS:Word document to match the dimensions of the labels without using a mailmerge. Once complete, works like a champ!

For those that like me, must DIY, here is the setup in Word:
    8 1/2 by 11, portrait.
    7 columns by 15 rows
    1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th columns are 1.56 in. wide\
    2nd, 4th, 6th columns are .5" wide
    All rows are .65 wide
    All borders turned off, gridlines displayed
    Adjust margins to center the table.
    I ran off a test sheet with Borders showing to confirm my spacing and setup. It's cheaper to mess up that way.
    Paste in your graphic set to "in front of text" layout; position to suit.
    Now you can position your image in a specific cell and print only that one, running your sheet through as many times as needed until all used.

Your printer may vary, however the setting that worked for my HP 4630 were "HP Matte brochure or professional paper"; Best Quality.

My latest version of the WWII stats label for old eyes like mine:

Name:	IMG_3380_Crop.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	252.5 KB 
ID:	210281
    Mike

Very neat and clear Mike.
    Even I can read those without my glass.
    and that's even better.
    Rob.

Excellent stuff! Question on behalf if the technically challenged - do you need photoshop to print these transparent labels of can they be done with the bog standard windows paint program?

The stand in post #41, for the Kittyhawk, was done with MS Word. The only graphic used was the "arrow", which is included in the Word document. So, no requirement for graphic skill, nor special programs.

Once the file is approved, I will post the link here.
    Mike

Looking forward to that!

Thanks, Mike!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

It is certainly a lot more straightforward than my old system.
    Rob.

Finally driven to try out one of the other options. This stuff: Avery 03276 - Window Decals 8.5x11 Sheets (6 Sheets)

I needed some transparent stands for my Tripods & Triplanes prototypes. The stands were bigger, and I needed, at least, four of them. A good time to waste a full sheet of decal material.

I picked up some scrap pieces of Plexiglas from a local plastics store, and cut them (roughly) to size using a hand saw and miter box. Then, I printed the graphics onto a sheet of the material (this was a bit of an issue, as the decal sheet was so smooth, the printer wouldn't feed properly). Anyway, then I trimmed the first decal to size, and quickly attempted to slap it onto a stand. I tried to get it lined up as carefully as possible, but it wasn't too easy. The adhesive is grabby. Also, there were bubbles everywhere. I could have retried again, but the bubble were probably dirt and dust from the cutting and sanding of the plastic. Dumb.

I used glass cleaner on the next three, and took a bit more time applying the decals. I think, for prototypes that are not permanent, the result was great.

Name:	TripodsTrans3.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	210732
    Link to more images: Tripods & Triplanes - An Invasion from Mars

Now to develop a collection of aftermarket stands that would need an entire 8.5x11 sheet of decal material.
    Mike

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Interesting solution. I`m wondering how this would work for customising LITKO (or Green Tree) bomber bases with plane specific firing arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    Interesting solution. I`m wondering how this would work for customising LITKO (or Green Tree) bomber bases with plane specific firing arcs.
    Being that the sheets are 8.5x11, it should be very possible. Getting the adhesive onto that big of a stand would take serious finese.

Minimalist stand graphs can be done that would work well for this application. Sample: HE.111 H3 Gun Question - Post #14
    Mike

Anyone doing up Merit 1/200 scale Douglas SDB Dauntless planes?

Name:	BasePlateLabels_Dauntless1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	257187
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. F-Toys 50% off at Diecast Airplane Co.!
    By gully_raker in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 13:29
  2. Another airplane salvage
    By Jager in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 15:16
  3. WGS Airplane Packs coming soon.
    By CappyTom in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 03:26
  4. What other WWI airplane games have you played?
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 11:23
  5. Airplane cards I am working on.
    By aper373 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 20:51