Ares Games

Thread: Best Book about WWI Air War

Default Best Book about WWI Air War

For someone who knows little to nothing about the WWI in the air, what book would you recommend? It would have to be a general history and not specific to the RAF or Von Richthofen, etc

Thanks.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Redhugh View Post
    For someone who knows little to nothing about the WWI in the air, what book would you recommend? It would have to be a general history and not specific to the RAF or Von Richthofen, etc

Thanks.
    G'day Lance.
    Cannot think of just one book but Peter Hart has written 3 that give a great overview using comments from actual aircrew plus details of the battles.
    Titles are,: "Bloody April", "Somme Success" & "Aces Falling".
    I really enjoyed them & found them very enlightening.
    Should be available via Amazon or The Book Depository.

Great picks Baz. IMHO and as an Aussie I liked fire in the Sky by Michael Molkentin, but I think if I could only have one book in my library it would be Aircraft of World War I. 1914-1918 by Jack Herris and Bob Pearson.
    Hardcover: 192 pages
    Publisher: Amber Books (April 2010)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 1906626669
    ISBN-13: 978-1906626662
    Product Dimensions: 9.5 x 7.6 x 1 inches
    Shipping Weight: 1.8 pounds

The advertisement for it reads:-

Illustrated with detailed artworks of combat aircraft and their markings, 'The Essential Aircraft Identification Guide: Aircraft of WWI' is a comprehensive study of the aircraft that fought in the Great War of 1914-18. Arranged chronologically by theater of war and campaign, this book offers a complete organizational breakdown of the units on all the fronts, including the Eastern and Italian Fronts. Each campaign includes a compact history of the role and impact of aircraft on the course of the conflict, as well as orders of battle, lists of commanders and campaign aces such as Manfred von Richtofen, Eddie Rickenbacker, Albert Ball and many more.Every type of aircraft is featured, including the numerous variations and types of well-known models, such as the Fokker Dr.I, the Sopwith Camel and the SPAD SVII, through to lesser-known aircraft, such as the Rumpler C.1, and the Amstrong Whitworth FK8. Each aircraft profile is accompanied by exhaustive specifications, as well as details of individual and unit markings. Packed with more than 200 color profiles of every major type of combat aircraft from the era, 'The Essential Aircraft Identification Guide: Aircraft of WWI' is an essential reference guide for modelers, military historians and aircraft enthusiasts. https://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Worl.../dp/1906626650

It is not perfect but it is pretty close. If you wanted to expand beyond WWI then my aircraft bible these days is the Rand McNally Encyclopaedia of Military Aircraft. https://ergodebooks.com/index.php?ro...yABEgJvg_D_BwE
    Last edited by Baxter; 01-17-2020 at 22:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhugh View Post
    ....It would have to be a general history and not specific to the RAF or Von Richthofen, etc...
    The Friendless Sky: The Great Saga of War in the Air - in it's Infancy, 1914-1918 by Alexander McKee is what you need Lance.
    Should still be available & is available on Kindle.

This is not some mighty tome as the title would suggest but a slim paperback that's very readable.
    I did a review on it a while back:
    I lifted this straight out of Amazon as I couldn't put it any better myself..
    "If you read just one book about the war in the air 1914-1918, this is a serious contender. There's respectable coverage of other theatres and nationalities, not just British vs Germans, Western Front. It's based around personal accounts, and is principally a participant-level view, not a dry strategic or technical treatise. While not encyclopedic, the subject of each chapter is chosen so that together, they weave together a cohesive, convincing and vivid story of WW1 air combat. Alexander McKee's typical ability to re-tell the stories with drama, insight, and dry humour shines through, making the result very readable and memorable, even if you have read his source material like Manfred von Richthofen's 'Die Rote Kampfflieger'. All in all, 'The Friendless Sky' is one of those books that anyone with an interest in this subject should have on their bookshelves."
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...friendless+sky

Now I have to read it again !
    Last edited by flash; 01-18-2020 at 06:15. Reason: added review detail

"He is wise who watches"

i found "war birds; diary of an unknown aviator" (by john mcgavock grider) grosset & dunlap ny 1926 very informative from a 1st person perspective.

Hi, I found "No empty chairs" by Ian Mackersey fantastic. Great on line reviews and is readily available.

The Friendless Sky: The Great Saga of War in the Air - in it's Infancy, 1914-1918 by Alexander McKee
    Thanks, Dave - just ordered a used copy from amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Thanks, Dave - just ordered a used copy from amazon.
    I expect it was reasonably cheap Pete - Enjoy !

"He is wise who watches"

Just ordered it for my Kindle - thanks for the heads-up, Dave!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Enjoy mate, I was surprised it wasn't already in the library reviews when I found it.

"He is wise who watches"

A book that I liked as a general overview was The First Air Campaign, August 1914-November 1918 by Eric and Jane Lawson. At around 220 pages, it's not so long as to be overwhelming, but it has good coverage and interesting sidebar stories.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    A book that I liked as a general overview was The First Air Campaign, August 1914-November 1918 by Eric and Jane Lawson. At around 220 pages, it's not so long as to be overwhelming, but it has good coverage and interesting sidebar stories.
    Thanks Daryl. I just ordered it. I really like this book series and have several. Should be a good place for me to start.

Likewise ordered a Kindle copy of The Friendless Sky: The Great Saga of War in the Air 1914-1918 Alexander McKee. I am 4 chapters in and you are spot on Dave! Can’t believe I had not read this one before. Thanks.

You're welcome Jeffrey, glad you're enjoying it

"He is wise who watches"

It's more of a personal journey than an encompassing overview of WWI, but if you want a beautifully written book that's a joy to read, I highly recommend Cecil Lewis' Sagittarius Rising.

Plus the kindle version is only two bucks right now.

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    It's more of a personal journey than an encompassing overview of WWI, but if you want a beautifully written book that's a joy to read, I highly recommend Cecil Lewis' Sagittarius Rising.

Plus the kindle version is only two bucks right now.
    Agreed... in my mind there is no better-written book on the subject. Sagittarius Rising reads like prose and puts some WWI fiction authors to shame, and they are unconstrained by the need to convey any factual data.

Wow. I just joined this community a week or so ago and I’m simply blown away by the creativity, talent, and genuine passion. I’m going to grab a copy Sagittarius Rising immediately. Every suggestion, helpful tip... it’s all been spot on. Thanks. I hope to be able to return something to the forum soon.

Grabbed a copy of No Empty chairs too. Thanks Nigel.

Exclamation

Another one I would recommend is "Flying Fury--5 years in the RFC" by James McCudden.
    Yes the VC ace Jimmy McCudden himself. Written from his diaries & finished just before he flew back to France to take command of a squadron only to die in a tragic flying accident in late 1918.
    Covers from his early days as an observer then flying DH-2's through to his time in 56 Sqd. with SE 5a's & the Voss fight etc.

Dogfight Aerial Tactics of the Aces of WW1 Norman Franks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dogfight!.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	291865

I found all of the Doubleday books in the “an air combat classic” to be excellent reads.duncan grinnell-milnes’ wind in the wires was good but his escapers log book is a must read.fighting airman the way of the eagle by Charles biddles is very well written.biddle recounts and explains the technical aspects of flying in letters to his parents.
    From the French notes of a lost pilot by Jean brand villas is very good.horses don’t fly by Frederick Libby was a very funny well written book.books by real flyers or observers are far better than those by the likes of hart kilduff or franks.

Similar Missions

1. New book.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-23-2019, 09:14
  2. THE Book
    By clipper1801 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-26-2017, 04:02
  3. WGF Don't think we've seen this book before
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13