Ares Games
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Series 1 reprint

And here are close up shot of all of them....

SPAD XII

Rickenbacker

Chavannes

Fonck

Sopwith Camel

Barker

Kissenberth

McLaren

Albatros D.V

Udet

Weber

MvR

Fokker Dr.I

MvR

Kempf

Baumer

I hope the color rendering on MvR's Albatros is an artifact of digitization...if that's the real-life color, that's positively hideous.

Good mix of old favourites and new schemes. Plenty of repaint options for those with the earlier editions. Just have to wait for the paper supply issue to sort itself.

So, by my count that is 5 brand-new never before produced planes/pilots/variants. Am I off? Chavannes, Kissenberth, McLaren, Baumer, and MVR Albatross.... If so, that’s exciting as a player who has bought since this was a card game, and owns at least one of everything (and 100s more planes etc) for both wars to have new stuff to purchase on a series going through its third major line-up change. Thanks Ares! I will be certain to add those planes to my collection/game as soon as they become available!

Great to see this getting closer. I like that there are new planes, always have to get those! The repeats are ok as new comers can get some of the classic aces.

Now I need to check how many of these we get with T&T?

The number of Series 1 planes you will receive, Ken, depends upon your pledge level.

Martian Pledge - none;
    Invasion Pledge or The Earth Fights Back Pledge - two planes - Manfred von Richthofen's Fokker Dr.1 & Kissenberth's Camel;
    The Second Invasion Pledge or Total War Pledge - four planes - Manfred von Richthofen's Fokker Dr.1, Kissenberth's Camel, Fonck's SPAD XIII & Weber's Albatros D.V.

Here is a link to the page on the Ares Website showing the contents of the different pledge levels. https://ks.aresgames.eu/welcome-to-t...ledge-manager/

I have at least four of each of the plane types, and yet somehow I’ll probably end up getting eight of the new 12. It would be only six of the 12, but Kissy and Red Death Baron are due with my T&T (nonFlying Buffalo version). But even if it was none, I’m happy to see such iconic planes return to the shelves and become available to newer players.

I’ll be even happier when the SE5a finally returns.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

A nice reprint i think, though i personally have most of the reprints, its a gold mine for new players. I had no idea MvR flew a DVa. Is the colour scheme accurate? i thought i read somewhere that he never actually flew an all red aircraft.

OMG - i bet they all have Ace Pilot cards in too - that means i might have to buy duplicates just to get them
    Last edited by strontiumdog; 01-17-2019 at 12:25.

Quote Originally Posted by strontiumdog View Post
    A nice reprint i think, though i personally have most of the reprints, its a gold mine for new players. I had no idea MvR flew a DVa. Is the colour scheme accurate? i thought i read somewhere that he never actually flew an all red aircraft.
    Albatros D.V 1177/17 was over-painted red both upper and lower surfaces. It was his first of the new type of Albatros replacing the D.III, so a D.V not a D.Va. From 23 June 1917 - 2 July 1917 the Rittmeister was credited with four victories flying this machine (54-57) - a SPAD S.VII, one DH.4 and two RE.8s (from Under the Guns of the Red Baron, Franks, Giblin & McCrery).

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Albatros D.V 1177/17 was over-painted red both upper and lower surfaces. It was his first of the new type of Albatros replacing the D.III, so a D.V not a D.Va. From 23 June 1917 - 2 July 1917 the Rittmeister was credited with four victories flying this machine (54-57) - a SPAD S.VII, one DH.4 and two RE.8s (from Under the Guns of the Red Baron, Franks, Giblin & McCrery).
    Jim Miller's Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen, Vol. 1 from 2016 identifies the red-bodied Albatros D.V 1177/17 as MvR's aircraft for victories 54-56, but differs for number 57, claiming that he'd already switched to the D.V in which he would be wounded and shot down on 6 July 1917. Miller identified this aircraft as retaining the unpainted "warm straw-colored" shellacked and varnished wood fuselage.

Either way, it's not an aircraft he flew for all that long, as it's likely he flew another Albatros on his return to the Front in August (perhaps 2059/17 photographed during Ludendorff's visit on 19 August), and then scored his first victory (#60) in Fokker's F.I 102/17 prototype on 1 September.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Jim Miller's Inside the Victories of Manfred von Richthofen, Vol. 1 from 2016 identifies the red-bodied Albatros D.V 1177/17 as MvR's aircraft for victories 54-56, but differs for number 57, claiming that he'd already switched to the D.V in which he would be wounded and shot down on 6 July 1917. Miller identified this aircraft as retaining the unpainted "warm straw-colored" shellacked and varnished wood fuselage.

Either way, it's not an aircraft he flew for all that long, as it's likely he flew another Albatros on his return to the Front in August (perhaps 2059/17 photographed during Ludendorff's visit on 19 August), and then scored his first victory (#60) in Fokker's F.I 102/17 prototype on 1 September.
    I don't have Jim Miller's book, but in the Osprey title 'Richthofen's Circus' Greg van Wyngarden says the serial number of the D.V he was flying when wounded on 6 July 1917 is unknown but it was probably the same aircraft (he) flew for his 57th victory four days earlier. Note the term 'probably'. Franks et al state for his victory on 2 July 1917 that "Von Richthofen was flying Albatros D.V No.1177/17."

There are photos of that D.V the Rittmeister was flying when wounded and it does not appear to have a red fuselage (see below), so it is not likely to be 1177/17, which has been described in reports by friend and foe alike as overwashed in red.

Name:  MvR-July6th17.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  71.2 KB

Who is correct? Franks has stated the Rittmeister did claim no.57 in 1177/17. Van Wyngarden stated the different D.V in which he was shot down on 6 July was 'probably' the same one he used to shoot down No.57.

Without being able to check their primary sources I am giving more credence to Franks at this point.

We can say von Richthofen flew 1177/17 from 23 June to early July 1917, so not long at all.

Those are on the bucket list for sure. Now if some early stuff and balloons would make the way here...

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    I hope the color rendering on MvR's Albatros is an artifact of digitization...if that's the real-life color, that's positively hideous.
    It does appear slightly darker (much closer to the red of the DR.I) in the group photo posted on FB:

They also appear to have used better color on the Weber reprint than originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Who is correct? Franks has stated the Rittmeister did claim no.57 in 1177/17. Van Wyngarden stated the different D.V in which he was shot down on 6 July was 'probably' the same one he used to shoot down No.57.

Without being able to check their primary sources I am giving more credence to Franks at this point.

We can say von Richthofen flew 1177/17 from 23 June to early July 1917, so not long at all.
    Fair points, all... and I came to a similar conclusion. Without the ability to confidently corroborate, I'm happy to accept either conclusion. Because, as you say, he didn't fly the overwashed red D.V all that long.

I'm looking forward to getting one of those Baumer Dr. Is!
    Last edited by Wolfbiter; 01-18-2019 at 12:45.

That's a new model MvR Dr1 too, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    That's a new model MvR Dr1 too, isn't it?
    Yes, Fokker Dr.1 425/17, the Rittmeister’s April 1918 mount he was flying when he fell.

Nice to see the repaints but I like the new ones. They will be an addition to the others I have. Thanks for posting the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    They also appear to have used better color on the Weber reprint than originally.
    However, on the picture of the minis stored in the white plastic, Weber Albatros has a yellow fuselage, as if it is a Wings of War model, compared to the brown fuselage on the profile picture posted by Keith.
    Which color is official and correct ?

Name:  F1D4B7E1-7B9A-4CB3-B76C-A18AF4A1392B.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  74.1 KB

Looks like just two machines for me this time the Keith.
    I will of course be getting them from yourself.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    However, on the picture of the minis stored in the white plastic, Weber Albatros has a yellow fuselage, as if it is a Wings of War model, compared to the brown fuselage on the profile picture posted by Keith.
    Which color is official and correct ?
    Good catch. I don't know when the group photo was taken and it could very well be from the initial prototyping and that they adjusted/corrected the color later on. This is just speculation by be based on what I was told about the profile photos Ares gave me (posted above):

The photos are final pre-production samples

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Looks like just two machines for me this time the Keith.
    I will of course be getting them from yourself.
    Rob.
    Thanks for the continued support Rob. I'll pick up one of each of the new pilots personally. I will have to compare the old Kempf to the new one, the Fokker streaking on the new looks pretty good, but it might be offset by the wing edges. I really wish they would fix that issue

The Captured Camel & Baumer's Dr.1 for me! I noticed that they didn't change the color scheme on Rickenbacker's SPAD, which I have heard is inaccurate. Do you think they have evidence or is it ease of manufacturing?

Quote Originally Posted by Saylug View Post
    The Captured Camel & Baumer's Dr.1 for me! I noticed that they didn't change the color scheme on Rickenbacker's SPAD, which I have heard is inaccurate. Do you think they have evidence or is it ease of manufacturing?
    Well, they corrected the MvR paint job this time around, so I don't think it is a manufacturing thing. Perhaps there are conflicting sources out there or it is not off enough to justify a change in their mind... or they just forgot about it. I honestly don't know how far of it is, so it does not bother me.

If anyone is interested, the Series 1 reprints are up on the AA site for pre-order.

Thanks for the heads up. Order in.

Ooooh, already. Yeah, a couple do pique my interest.

Well, they corrected the MvR paint job this time around, so I don't think it is a manufacturing thing. Perhaps there are conflicting sources out there or it is not off enough to justify a change in their mind... or they just forgot about it. I honestly don't know how far of it is, so it does not bother me.
    What was wrong with the MvR? Well I guess I should ask which one also; there are a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    What was wrong with the MvR? Well I guess I should ask which one also; there are a few.
    I can't recall which one it is replacing, maybe the last reprint of it? There is a thread somewhere around here that talks about it. I want to say it has something to do with the tail color and or maybe the "wing" between the wheels.

I can't recall which one it is replacing, maybe the last reprint of it? There is a thread somewhere around here that talks about it. I want to say it has something to do with the tail color and or maybe the "wing" between the wheels.
    I was wondering, now, to see if I could figure out which one(s) I have.

It might be the shape of the rudder. So far they have been badly done on the Triplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    It might be the shape of the rudder. So far they have been badly done on the Triplanes.
    It is not the rudder, they made no changes to the mold the mini comes out of. They only tweaked the paint job.

From what I can tell, MvR has had DR.1 minis released in the following products:

Wings of War Deluxe Set (2007) - All red with a white rudder.
    Series 1 (2007) - Appears to be the same as the DS above from photos.
    Wings of War Revised Deluxe Set (2011) All red except the middle and lower wing and forward fuselage are standard Fokker green.
    Duel Pack - Appears to be the same as the WoW RDS from photos.
    Series 1a (1st reprinting of Series 1) - All red with a white rudder. appears to be identical to Series 1.
    Series 1b (this reprint coming out with T&T) - All red with a white rudder, except the "wheel wing" on this one is the light blue that is used on the underside of all standard DR.I paint jobs.

So, it looks like the correction that they made was to paint the "wheel wing" light blue.

If anyone is interested, the Series 1 reprints are up on the AA site for pre-order.
    Order dispatcher sir.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

So we're really only getting 1 new triplane, as Kempf was already released too (ww07K).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I might have ordered the Baumer and Kempf Tripes if it was not for those hideous wing edges.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Those are on the bucket list for sure. Now if some early stuff and balloons would make the way here...
    Hey that reminds me, were not the balloons promised in the reprints for this year?

Question

It is not the rudder, they made no changes to the mold the mini comes out of. They only tweaked the paint job.

From what I can tell, MvR has had DR.1 minis released in the following products:

Wings of War Deluxe Set (2007) - All red with a white rudder.
    Series 1 (2007) - All red with a white rudder. Appears to be the same as the above from photos.
    Wings of War Revised Deluxe Set (2011) All red except the middle and lower wing are standard Fokker streaked green.
    Duel Pack - All red except the middle and lower wing are standard Fokker streaked green. Appears to be the same as the WoW RDS from photos.
    Series 1a (1st reprinting of Series 1) - All red with a white rudder. appears to be identical to Series 1.
    Series 1b (this reprint coming out with T&T) - All red with a white rudder, except the "wheel wing" on this one is the light blue that is used on the underside of all standard DR.I paint jobs.

So, it looks like the correction that they made was to paint the "wheel wing" light blue.
    Hi Keith!
    I have a MvR Dr.I with Red top wing, nose, wheel wing, all red tail & top of rear fuselage up to cockpit. Other wings & fuselage sides Fokker green.
    What series was this one from?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Hi Keith!
    I have a MvR Dr.I with Red top wing, nose, wheel wing, all red tail & top of rear fuselage up to cockpit. Other wings & fuselage sides Fokker green.
    That's from the Dr.I v. Camel Duel Pack and one of the original Deluxe Boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Hey that reminds me, were not the balloons promised in the reprints for this year?
    I recall someone saying they'd be this year too. But over at BGG it looks like they've been promised for several years in a row now. Since before the Giants Kickstater.

On the new MvR Fokker Dr.1 Ares have also changed the black crosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    So we're really only getting 1 new triplane, as Kempf was already released too (ww07K).
    Karl
    I know right

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Order dispatcher sir.

Rob.
    Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Hi Keith!
    fast.git is correct. That one came in the RDS and the Duel packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    On the new MvR Fokker Dr.1 Ares have also changed the black crosses.
    Good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    7 ordered.
    Thanks, Keith.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I recall someone saying they'd be this year too. But over at BGG it looks like they've been promised for several years in a row now. Since before the Giants Kickstater.
    I'm not sure we are going to get those anytime some. I've got no inside information on them, but they did just reprint the two Nieuport minis with rockets that came in the balloons the first time around. I can't see them release those again so soon. Unless they change the packaging format of the balloons and perhaps drop the planes from it them to lower the price some

I'm not sure we are going to get those anytime some.
    In October 2017 during Essen convention, Ares planned to release balloons on second quarter 2018.
    Click : HERE.
    No more information have been published since 2017.

I'll be getting my usual one-of-each from Keith (coz that's what I do!).

Don't need extras for repaint this time, since I already have more Nexus Series 1 and Ares Series 1 reprints than I can ever get around to
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

This is the only game that I've gone to Amazon and eBay for some of the standard product line. Normally I stay away, especially eBay, to try and support the publisher and stores more. But when I first got into Wings of Glory it was quickly obvious that there print run schedule was dubious and if I wanted certain models Amazon, eBay and even from the good folks here might be the only way to get the most common planes. Though I've paid more than I wished on a few items I've been mostly happy that I did. I may never have a collection as good as some great people here, but I do like my collection of planes and even two balloons. Whoo hoo.

Thanks guys.

I agree Ken. I started just after the fall of Nexus, and scrambled for aircraft during the lean years. Eventually I had everything issued as well as a couple dozen repaints and duplicates to repaint or trade. Having to start over this fall because of the house fire, Its damned expensive to replace the collection, especially the rarer aircraft, because my local shops have stopped carrying the product because of the lack of restocks or new issues to keep it playing in the stores. Ebay has been my friend, but I'm forced to buy collections in order to get some of the hard to find aircraft. I'm glad this issue will be out soon. My Birthday is in March Angiolillo Hint,,,,Hint!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Series 4 Reprint on the Way...?
    By Dan-Sam in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 11-08-2018, 19:07
  2. Series 3 Reprint
    By bgeipel in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-14-2016, 04:33
  3. Series 3 Reprint
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions