Ares Games
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mess of The Daring Young Men !

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yeah I agree with John & others. Happy for a "difficult" mission but not a suicide meat grinder.

Dave has indicated he is happy to continue a Campaign after Mission 12 but wants to wait until 12 done & dusted & will then see how many want to keep going & weather to jump forward a few months to bring in new aircraft.
    Catch 22 then - Bring it on!

From perusing some old threads I have an inkling Gothas may be involved in Mission 12
    If that is the case I am hoping the Central Powers will get to use them as well rather than having to use EyeTies again ...
    I don't think I have ever had the chance to use my Gothas Over the Trenches.

I'd be interested in see your campaign extended with a jump of a few months, which would, for my Italian campaign, bring in a few of the late war planes. It would allow me to fly some of the Valom Fokker DVII plus the Ares AH Phoenix. However, as an unofficial player I don't believe I get a vote nor, if the campaign is extended, a promotion to official player status. Agree, I'm not interested in a suicide, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid final mission. That's my 'wasted vote'.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    I'd be interested in see your campaign extended with a jump of a few months, which would, for my Italian campaign, bring in a few of the late war planes. It would allow me to fly some of the Valom Fokker DVII plus the Ares AH Phoenix. However, as an unofficial player I don't believe I get a vote nor, if the campaign is extended, a promotion to official player status. Agree, I'm not interested in a suicide, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid final mission. That's my 'wasted vote'.
    With all the planes you have bought or made you must have ones that would work for an extended campaign time frame, some time in 1916. I would expect that even if the decision was to extend this one it would still be seen as a new start for new players. of course you are having a good time with the more advanced planes so may not want to go back in time.

Regarding time frame and introduction of new plane types, the Germans suffered a dearth of new models until later 16. A quick and unconfirmed check looks something like this.

Introduction Date 1916
    April - Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter RNAS
    May - Nieuport 16 RFC
    June - Fokker EIV
    July - FE2d RFC, Nieuport 17 RFC, Halberstadt DII
    Aug - Fokker DII, Halberstadt DIII
    Sept - Albatros DI
    Oct - Spad VII RFC, Albatros DII, Sopwith Pup RNAS
    Nov RE8
    Dec Albatros DIII, Sopwith Triplane

the French get the Nieuports and Spads earlier, so it looks like us British types will move to the RNAS.

As I said this was just a quick research into intro dates and may need amendment.

I'm for going out with a bang. Just not a TPK bang.-IOW, I'm in the "tough, but not suicidal" crowd.

If we skip a few months to October at least we Germans will get the Albatros D.II

And then by the end the D.III

But lots to fly against ....

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    With all the planes you have bought or made you must have ones that would work for an extended campaign time frame, some time in 1916. I would expect that even if the decision was to extend this one it would still be seen as a new start for new players. of course you are having a good time with the more advanced planes so may not want to go back in time.

Regarding time frame and introduction of new plane types, the Germans suffered a dearth of new models until later 16. A quick and unconfirmed check looks something like this.

Introduction Date 1916
    April - Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter RNAS
    May - Nieuport 16 RFC
    June - Fokker EIV
    July - FE2d RFC, Nieuport 17 RFC, Halberstadt DII
    Aug - Fokker DII, Halberstadt DIII
    Sept - Albatros DI
    Oct - Spad VII RFC, Albatros DII, Sopwith Pup RNAS
    Nov RE8
    Dec Albatros DIII, Sopwith Triplane

the French get the Nieuports and Spads earlier, so it looks like us British types will move to the RNAS.

As I said this was just a quick research into intro dates and may need amendment.
    Planes won’t be a problem one way or another. Character continuity is another issue. But will see what transpires post-Mission 12. Friedrichshafens over Milan?

Ah, you Germans wanting to skip some months to get to better planes for you. Too bad they couldn't do that in real life. If we continue we should go through all the ups and downs for everyone. That said, if we continue to the end I'm not looking forward to flying SPAD XIIIs vs Fokker DVIIs!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Ah, you Germans wanting to skip some months to get to better planes for you. T
    How soon the tiger changes his stripes ....

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    How soon the tiger changes his stripes ....
    Meow!

I do have a flight of French SPAD VIIs with panthers on them, so I just lost my stripes.

Baz has it right as we've previously discussed this.
    Casting my mind back a couple of years the idea of this campaign was based on the desire to play more of the earlier (Ares) stuff as we whipped past it last time, now it seems some are wishing it away !
    Either way the decision goes - IF we skip a few months it will only be a few and we will retain the same rosters - they've just been rotated home, or, shifted fronts for a rest in the interim period.
    I thought maybe July/August/September or August/September/October if we did shift so we'll catch the formation of the scout squadrons & the Jastas and get some new machines. We can treat the tandems as co-located sister units begat from the changes.

"He is wise who watches"

I am okay with plodding along and not skipping any months at all - even all the way to The Bitter End:Part Deux - for the next few years of real time.
    I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be throwing my experienced crews into another one-off kill fest.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Baz has it right as we've previously discussed this.
    Casting my mind back a couple of years the idea of this campaign was based on the desire to play more of the earlier (Ares) stuff as we whipped past it last time, now it seems some are wishing it away !
    Either way the decision goes - IF we skip a few months it will only be a few and we will retain the same rosters - they've just been rotated home, or, shifted fronts for a rest in the interim period.
    I thought maybe July/August/September or August/September/October if we did shift so we'll catch the formation of the scout squadrons & the Jastas and get some new machines. We can treat the tandems as co-located sister units begat from the changes.
    Hi Dave! I like the idea of starting the new campaign in July 1916 & going forward from there.
    Doing that brings in some nice new Aircraft to spice things up.

Hahahahaha I love all of this. OK lets put a few minds at rest. I really don't think the mission is suicidal, but who knows Anyway, you'll only need a few aircraft per side, so you definitely couldn't lose everyone.

Definitely no Gothas - sorry about that and I hope now that it isn't too simple either. I did have in mind the desire to continue into the next three months, so lets face it, we wouldn't want to lose characters such as those wearing armour, now would we And I really do want to find out what the French will do to Captain Jerome and i want to know what happens to Leopold Saugerjager.

Anyway, as far as what comes next, I'm happy to fit in with whatever Uncle has in store for us

Sorry to disappoint, but I need to bow out after mission 12: 2020 is slated to be an extra-busy year for me.

"Real life" stuff like the presidential election, have already told my recruiter that I'm available to do election judge duties for early voting , election day, and canvassing for both the primary & general elections.
    Con Chair for the s/f convention Chessiecon 2020 ended up in my lap.
    Heading up the programming department for another regional s/f convention, Capclave 2021.

That being said, I'm still going to try and do as much WoG as I can: local gaming & s/f conventions. Maybe make another effort to start up a monthly WGF meetup. See if I can finally talk some people into the occasional game at our regular bi-weekly house games. That'd be nice for a change.

Sorry to here you'll be leaving the front. Good luck with all of your other assignments, sounds like you'll be a very busy boy!

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, but I need to bow out after mission 12: 2020 is slated to be an extra-busy year for me...
    That's a pity Sam but it has been a pleasure flying with you & there's always another year !
    Good luck with all your commitments and your efforts to bring WGF closer to home

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, but I need to bow out after mission 12: 2020 is slated to be an extra-busy year for me.
    Really sorry to hear this, Sam.
    Hope to see you back Over the Trenches in another campaign in the future.

Looks like I will be the lone Central Jasta unless we can bring some new recruits in.

Sorry to be losing you Sam - it really has been a pleasure. Best of luck with your busy programme and hope to see you back here again when things have returned to a kind of normality for you. Lots of head bobbing,
    Mike

Looks like I will be the lone Central Jasta unless we can bring some new recruits in.
    I'd be happy and honoured to join you Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I'd be happy and honoured to join you Pete.
    Either that or we all fly Entente.

All on one side would make it easier for scenario balance.

Do drop by for a chat when you get time Sam. We will miss your head bobs a lot.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 12-22-2019 at 12:32.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

....Looks like I will be the lone Central Jasta unless we can bring some new recruits in...
    Well you chaps flew the Imperial Battle Flag with honour, considering that five of your pilots fell by the wayside - we lost three before kick off.

"He is wise who watches"

I can always put my stripes back on if needed to get more views from the Eagles side. Can I just swap my rosters around? My AI Germans have more kills than my poor French!

Sam I'm sorry to hear you are bowing out, I always enjoy reading game reports, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding the continuation, I'm just pleased to hear we are continuing, I must have missed all the original discussions so am relieved to know this. As to whether we have a break and reset to a few months later or not, I really don't mind, I've finally got my 2 additional E111's on the table and would like to get some use out of them but I'm also looking forward to flying pups, tripes and nieuports against D11's, so far none of the ones I've collected or built has flown yet, so on balance maybe a 3 month jump might suit me better but I'm enjoying the characters I have flying as much as what they are flying in so I'm happy either way.

This is the first discussion on the next campaign John, you missed nothing.
    Unlikely you'll be flying Pups & Tripes though, still a bit early for them yet.

"He is wise who watches"

Taking a short break after our 12 mission campaign looks like a good idea. Some new players can join in while others like Sam can leave. A 12 month commitment isn't so intimidating like some 20+ in the past to scare some potential players away.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Roy
    Sorties Flown

FFA 24 "Die Adler" can be transferred from the Eastern Front to take part if numbers are down.
    Three two-seaters can be up in the air at any one time, accompanied, depending on KEK commitments, by either a Fokker E.III or Halberstadt scout (depending on time period).
    Use of Roland C.II machines being dependent upon availability at the front (depending on time period).

I make no apologies for leaning towards a two-seater flight. A two-machine KEK flight could be managed, if necessary, but this would rob the FFAs of local single-seater support and me the chance to be creative in why two-seaters are doing scout work

French opposition using MS 3 and MS 5, N11 and N17 is doable, if Spring/Summer '16 is played out.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    This is the first discussion on the next campaign John, you missed nothing.
    Unlikely you'll be flying Pups & Tripes though, still a bit early for them yet.
    I was thinking if we skip 3 months as your original suggestion to July, Aug, Sept then the Pups, Tripes and D11 will be flying a year earlier than if we don't, if you go to Aug, Sept, Oct then Pups are in next year, as far as I can see deliveries commenced Aug and were opperational with the RNAS in Oct.

You'll see where I'm going with this when I finally post game 11. its half written, another couple of weeks should finish it.

You'll see where I'm going with this when I finally post game 11.
    And what if you're going nowhere after Mission 12?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a_035.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	279656

OK Only kidding - it is Christmas after all

And what if you're going nowhere after Mission 12?

Name:	a_035.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	279656

OK Only kidding - it is Christmas after all
    I've just ordered reinforcements, they will be flying in mid Jan but in the mean time I have a new secret weapon for your next mission, so very much looking forward to next year.

Name:	u16697277.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	279658

New secret weapon huh!!!! Take that

Name:	Rocket 1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	279662

I've got it covered.

I see your secret weapon and raise you one secret weapon.

Name:	21393603-full-length-portrait-of-a-mature-man-running-with-butterfly-net-isolated-on-white-backg.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	279679

Come into my net little fishy fishy and we'll eat you for supper. (Cackles madly)

Default Christmas Cheer

Merry Christmas & a happy new year chaps, enjoy the holidays & your time with the family

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks, Dave, and thanks for another great campaign.

And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of the Daring Young Men.

I second that emotion. Merry Christmas and I finally caught up to the rest of you.

Here's to you all - have a very Merry Christmas all and a very happy and prosperous year too.
    I'll drink to that too

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous 2020 to my new friends of 2019.

Thanks Uncle, and a very Merry Christmas to you in return.
    I have a Christmas pressie that will finally allow me to fly my next mission.
    Kyte.

A Merry Christmas and the Happiest of New Years to all.

Thumbs up

I will Second that in Spades!
    Thanks Dave & all the Chaps who have flown in the OTT Campaigns.
    Looking forward to rejoining the Front after leave in Blighty.

Uncle will not be available for a couple of days, visiting Home Establishment.

"He is wise who watches"

Have a good time Uncle

I shall post Mission 12 today chaps as I may not otherwise get the opportunity for a while. Please note, all questions and/or complaints will be dealt with as soon as I can - please be patient

Mike

Happy new year chaps

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks, Onkel. And the same backatchya.

Here's hoping Baz is doing okay in NSW

Thank you Uncle and the same returned to yourself.
    I will try to catch up a few more of last years actions as soon as I can.
    Rob.

Happy New Year to you all.

I do intend to catch up and fly all the scenarios but I can't get any flight time until February. Is this OK? If not I'll post them up anyway, they just won't count to final Eagles tally.

N
    See you on the Dark Side......

I am in the same boat Neil. Almost ready to fly the bomb the tunnel one, and just intend to try and regain the momentum. As long as Dave is happy to plot the lives and deaths of my pilots, I am not worried about scores on the doors. never have been. I just fly for the fun and a good story line really.
    Rob.

This campaign ends 31st of January - we may then have February off and commence ops on the next one in March.
    I'm busy with Beachhead & Flight Club in February but will consolidate known results & prep the rosters for those who are continuing into the next one / changing sides etc.

"He is wise who watches"

Ready to fly mission 10 today. I will do my best for the French to the end...even though I think I'll be changing sides as the Eagle Jastas are a bit thin.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  2. Sticky: OTT Daring Young Men (DYM) Campaign Rules
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2018, 03:06
  3. Daring Woman saves a Plane.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 11:30
  4. What goes on in the mess, stays in the mess.......
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:34
  5. KoTA 7B The Daring Rescue.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 11:51