Ares Games

Thread: Marks and Spencer special.

Default Marks and Spencer special.

I have heard of tin box collectors, but when I saw this in M&S yesterday whilst doing our shop, I had to have it. Onlt £5 for the box, and you can eat the contents whilst enjoying a G&t !

Rob.
    Attached Images    
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

An Iconic Design Reimagined for the RAF’s Centenary

2018 marks the centenary anniversary of the world’s first independent air force – the RAF. And, M&S and the RAF are joining forces to celebrate the occasion with a new charity partnership which will see M&S pledge to raise £500,000 for the RAF100 Appeal. The money raised will fund scholarships, bursaries and university degrees in STEM for air cadets and underprivileged school children.
    100 years is a milestone achievement and we wanted to pay tribute to the brave men and women - including 320 of our own M&S colleagues - who defended our freedom from the skies during WWII. That’s why we we’ve gone a step further that pledging to raise funds for the RAF100 Appeal, we have reinvented the classic flying jacket for 2018 in a limited-edition design to commemorate the RAF’s centenary year.
    But, there’s more history behind this jacket than just its iconic bomber pilot design. The jacket is named ‘The Marksman’ in a nod to the M&S colleagues who raised £5,000 in 1941 to fund a new spitfire for the RAF war effort which they named ‘The Marksman’. The spitfire, pictured above, became best known for Sergeant ‘Tommy’ Rigler’s successful Dunkirk mission on 22 June 1941 which saw him shoot down 3 enemy fighters at 20,000 feet above the beaches. The heroic actions of Rigler and The Marksman earned him the Distinguished Flying Medal and the Distinguished Flying Cross.
    The surprising and little known shared history between M&S and the RAF goes even further. Simon Marks, M&S Chairman and son of the founder, helped form the RAF Cadets in 1938 – the pipeline of future RAF talent. Marks became the Honorary Treasurer of the cadets before later being appointed to its Board, shaping the development of the RAF Cadets for the remainder of his life. This history will go on display at a new special exhibit at the M&S Company Archive in Leeds to celebrate the anniversary.
    The Marksman leather flying jacket will go on sale online and in selected M&S stores from 26 June, with all profits going to the RAF100 Appeal.

Attached Images  

The Marksman was a Mark Vb Spitfire, serial number W3215.

Many towns raised funds & provided Spitfires for the war effort. Ours was P8531 WHO’S ‘AFEARD (Blandford) -
    Name:  Blandford_Spit_P8531.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  71.4 KB
    Operated by No.1 Coast Artillery Co-operation Unit based at RAF Detling was actually lost in an accident - Not long into a navigation practice flight from Detling it stalled and spun into the ground on a farm near Gravesend. The pilot, Pilot Officer David Lindsay Mallach (413101) RNZAF, age 21, from Dunedin, New Zealand, was killed. R.I.P.

Spitfire W3215, 411 Squadron; lost in combat over Comines, France, aircraft shot down and crashed near Calais, 24 March 1942. Pilot Officer J W Sills (RCAF) was killed.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?uniq=w3215
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._411_Squadron_RCAF
    Last edited by flash; 04-21-2020 at 04:55.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The Marksman was a Mark Vb Spitfire, serial number W3215.

Many towns raised funds & provided Spitfires for the war effort. Ours was P8531 WHO’S ‘AFEARD (Blandford) ...
    Thank you for sharing. I was not aware of that part of the war. Really interesting.

They closed our Marks & Sparks last year
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Shopping away from home then Steve The Coved 19 Police will be out looking for you , following the crumbs left by you eating the shortbread no doubt.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

It was me doing the shopping at my local branch Paul so all is OK.

Anyway, I shot down the Police Drone in my trusty Sopwith Camel.

Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Thank you for sharing. I was not aware of that part of the war. Really interesting.
    Cities, towns, businesses, newspapers, organisations - all sorts had a go Jeff and not just from the UK but from across the Commonwealth.
    https://fyldebbmfund.wordpress.com/g...ion-spitfires/

Here's a couple I found from places I've lived in:

W3327 HORSHAM AND DISTRICT - shot down off the coast of Le Touquet, France, 21 October 1941. Pilot Officer J F Reeves: missing believed killed; 611 Squadron,

W3208 EASTBOURNE - forced to land between St Omer and Calais, France, due to enemy action, 6 July 1941; Flight Lieutenant W M Skinner: prisoner of war; 74 Squadron.

Database of all RAF aircraft serial numbers from the J - ZZ series.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...qn2=&qn3=&qn4=

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

That Tin was a nice catch Rob! Well Done!
    Thanks to Dave for the info about Town Sponsored Aircraft. There were certainly many such sponsored planes in WW1.

Very nice historical tidbits, to be sure.

Thank you for the 'heads up' about the tins of shortbread, Rob. I may try food shopping in the city centre this week.

If you have any trouble let me know Dave, and I will see if they have any left when we go shopping on Tuesday.
    Rob.

Rob will only take a small commission of 25% of the biccies

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Rob will only take a small commission of 25% of the biccies
    ......and a G'n'T or two!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Gentlemen you know me too well!

However, you seem to have omitted a word Tim. Should it not have read thus..... and a bottle of G'n'T or two?
    Kyte.

Default Tea Time!

What better to accompany your butter shortbreads than a nice cup of tea

Nice catch Gunners. I will have a look when I do the shopping on Monday.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nice catch Gunners. I will have a look when I do the shopping on Monday.
    Rob.
    Try here:
    www.newenglishteas.com

Thanks Gunners. Wilco that.
    Rob.

I wonder if you can comfortably put an airplane, stand, flight pegs, and maneuver deck in the tea tin.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I wonder if you can comfortably put an airplane, stand, flight pegs, and maneuver deck in the tea tin.
    I think it's probably big enough for 3 or 4 planes + accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I think it's probably big enough for 3 or 4 planes + accessories.
    You might be a bit optimistic there Tim.

Internal dimensions are 14x7cms, 9cms deep. You might just squeeze 3 planes in if you want the faff of making tray inserts. Given the size of your collection, you might want to order about 200 tins - that should make their day!

These tins are wonderful, anyone know of an online source for the larger tin?
    Last edited by clipper1801; 06-27-2020 at 08:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    .......................Given the size of your collection, you might want to order about 200 tins -...………………...
    And the rest!

. . . You can always gift the tea in a nice teacup and keep the tins as packaging . . . Just a suggestion . . . Just took care of two ladies on my list ☺

The Marksman leather flying jacket will go on sale online and in selected M&S stores from 26 June, with all profits going to the RAF100 Appeal.
    Well today is the 27th. Went on line just to have a look - "Out of Stock" - guess they all went with pre orders

Nice finds chaps, wonder if I can get to M&S?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. Special Thank You
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2018, 06:20
  2. A very special Camel
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-25-2018, 09:07
  3. Special day
    By grumpybear in forum Officer's Club