Ares Games

Thread: Inventory Tracking Spreadsheet

Default Inventory Tracking Spreadsheet

UPDATED! See THIS POST

So I finally got around to updating that spreadsheet I said I was going to make available like.. 7 months ago

Some folks mentioned it might be useful.

Edit: Was having problems with the Google links.. should be public now

I originally made it as an easy reference to see how many planes and of which type I had available for playing in any given era for solo games (with the added bonus of tracking what I actually own), but it could have other uses.

I divided each year into quarters (1916/Q1, 1916/Q2, etc.). The aircraft availability is based on when the airplane was used in combat roles (that is, deployed to active duty squadrons on the front or otherwise used in a combat capacity). I did not include time when the planes may have only been used for training or other non-combat related duties. Some aircraft also didn't have info available so there may be a bit of guesswork with the availability.

Also, at the moment, I've only included Ares models on here. The planes are listed in order by series.

There are 4 tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet:

'Central' and 'Entente' are where you enter how many planes you have in the "Inventory" column:

You can also add whatever else you want to the "Notes" column or pretty much any other cell on these pages. Only column "B" is referenced.

On the "Availability Matrix" tab you can see the overlapping bars and numerical count of what's available for each given quarter. This sheet is entirely referenced, so you don't need to add anything on it.

Link to Google Docs file.

There was an earlier request for an .ods version -this is a direct export from Google Docs. It's functional but not pretty.

Let me know what you guys think, if it's useful or not, what changes you want to see, etc. Consider this one an "early version" work in progress.
    Last edited by kalnaren; 01-17-2018 at 17:18.

Just keep in mind that each country has different stop and start time for mass produced aircraft.
    Example of this would be the Spad VII.
    Great Britain 16/Q4 to 17/Q4
    France 16/Q4 to 18/Q4
    Russia 17/Q2 to 17/Q4
    Italy 17/Q2 to 18/Q4

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Just keep in mind that each country has different stop and start time for mass produced aircraft.
    Example of this would be the Spad VII.
    Great Britain 16/Q4 to 17/Q4
    France 16/Q4 to 18/Q4
    Russia 17/Q2 to 17/Q4
    Italy 17/Q2 to 18/Q4
    Yea, but representing that on the sheet would be ridiculous. The Spad VII was used by what.. 10 different air forces during WWI? It's also outside the purpose of this spreadsheet.

I basically used the numbers represented by the primary user (or two, if, in the case of the Spad, they were majority used by more than one nation).

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    Yea, but representing that on the sheet would be ridiculous. The Spad VII was used by what.. 10 different air forces during WWI? It's also outside the purpose of this spreadsheet.

I basically used the numbers represented by the primary user (or two, if, in the case of the Spad, they were majority used by more than one nation).
    I think that is totally except able for the purpuse of this sheet... and I like it!

Am I just over looking it, or is there no Albatros D.III on there? Or Pfalz D.III? Seems like quite a few Nexus/ARes minis are not on there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I think that is totally except able for the purpuse of this sheet... and I like it!

Am I just over looking it, or is there no Albatros D.III on there? Or Pfalz D.III? Seems like quite a few Nexus/ARes minis are not on there yet.
    For this one none of the Nexus ones are on here, only the ones released by Ares. Thought I'd get a bit of feedback before I added in everything.

This looks like a useful tool. Cody. Please continue with its development.

Nice prototype! Also, while I need to update for Series 3 Reprint, you might find the checklist linked in my sig to have some useful info.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I like it & echo the 'please continue development' sentiment!
    It's people like you who make life easier for a great number of peeps like me.
    Thanks!

I finally got around to updating this again:

Name:  zXduhg7.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  177.5 KB

As with the previous version, you enter the amount of planes you own in the 'Inventory' column on the Entente and Central sheet, and everything will update on the overlapping chart on the 'Availability' tab. The 'Notes' column isn't referenced so you can do anything you want to the cells in there.

Name:  Z17DtTO.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  118.3 KB

I updated a few of the availability periods for a couple of planes.

As this is a fairly high level period chart, you'll probably notice a few oddities since the chart is only granular to periods of 3 months.

I also couldn't find reliable data on when some of the two-seaters were withdrawn from frontline service (especially the Entente two-seaters), so quite a few stretch to the end of the war if they were still in service at the time of the armistice with a combat squadron. If anyone has more reliable information on this let me know and I'll update the chart.

As before, I focused on only the combat service dates of the primary user or users (if, for example, both the RFC and Aéronautique Militaire made heavy use of the type). I did not include prototype or training squadron use.

If anyone sees any glaring errors let me know.

Linky to Google Doc

Linky to .ods version (ugly but usable)

Yikes! nothing like reality confrontational evidence! If I fill it out and Mrs Clipper sees it, I am cooked! But thanks, it is brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Yikes! nothing like reality confrontational evidence! If I fill it out and Mrs Clipper sees it, I am cooked! But thanks, it is brilliant!
    I can make a special version for you that only counts in "10s"

I must admit I use my own inventory Excel sheet by nationality but with one line per model and differentiated between 'ready', 'needs modifying paint' i.e. Where I have multiples; 'needs painting' e.g. Shapeways; or 'need to make and paint' e.g. Red Eagle.

This is also used to track number of times the model has got onto the table (not many yet!).

Regards

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Kustenjaeger View Post
    I must admit I use my own inventory Excel sheet by nationality but with one line per model and differentiated between 'ready', 'needs modifying paint' i.e. Where I have multiples; 'needs painting' e.g. Shapeways; or 'need to make and paint' e.g. Red Eagle.

This is also used to track number of times the model has got onto the table (not many yet!).

Regards

Edward
    Whatever works

I made this one to both keep track of what I owned, and as an easy way to see how many planes of what era I had for setting up solo scenarios. If I feel more ambitious at some point I might get a little more complex with it.

I can make a special version for you that only counts in "10s"
    Excellent idea, but that will incite the elves to balance the builds and escalate the collection, I fear the total mass attained may exceed the event horizon here in AZ! : )

Inventory Tracker: Clipper Edition

Name:  GtylRbo.png
Views: 244
Size:  58.7 KB

Inventory Tracker: Clipper Edition

Name:  GtylRbo.png
Views: 244
Size:  58.7 KB

Brilliant!

I got a good laugh out of that, Cody.

Very well done. With the upcoming release of the WGF Campaign and Scenario Set, this will make a great visual reference.

And the custom chart for Clipper was bad! I sprayed tea all over my screens, busting out laughing.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Great tool Cody, thanks. LOVE Clippers list. I think many of us are in the same boat!

Nice job Cody. It's very useful, thank you.

Great Work, Cody!

Excellent work!
    I think you can reduce the numbers on 'Clippers List' by adding on to almost every column 'less what I sold to others on the forum, which probably means I still need to use x to the power of n2.'

Minor update, added an overview to the "Availability" tab and fixed a formatting issue or two.

If you already started another version and want to use the updated on, you can just highlight and copy+paste the inventory number column to the new sheet. Nothing was re-arranged.

Note: Bombers are included in the two-seater list.

Google Docs

OpenOffice/LibreOffice
    Attached Images  

Similar Missions

1. Low inventory
    By Captain Chum in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2015, 13:55
  2. Link to ETO spreadsheet
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 00:50