Ares Games
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Shapeways Fokker DR1

Managed to paint up my first plane from Shapeways, the Junkers D1 in FUD, am pretty pleased with the result.
    There is a very slight ripple effect to the final finish if you get the light right but I didn't make any special preperations, just one coat of undercoat and then painted the colour on that.
    The pilot is by Peter Pig and the Decals are by Doms Decals.
    Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Junkers D1 002.jpg   Junkers D1 004.jpg   Junkers D1 003.jpg   Junkers D1 001.jpg  

Nicely done Don these models look fine and really nicely painted

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    In reply to Hunters input. What Chris Said)
    There is another point to this - these things are not cheap, and for the money I'm paying for the 'upgraded' material options (as dear as a SRAM resin kit which has superior detail) I don't expect something that looks like it has been knitted, or has been broken or is warped by the time it gets to me.

I would like to add weight to what Guntruck has said above.
    My wife thinks I'm weighty enough - she keeps feeding me lettuce sandwiches
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Managed to paint up my first plane from Shapeways, the Junkers D1 in FUD, am pretty pleased with the result.
    There is a very slight ripple effect to the final finish if you get the light right but I didn't make any special preperations, just one coat of undercoat and then painted the colour on that.
    The pilot is by Peter Pig and the Decals are by Doms Decals.
    Don
    And just when you think all is lost. Good work Don!

Thats another sweet looking Junkers, Don. I have to say from what I have seen on here, the Junkers seem to be immune to the finish problems of the Dr I.

I too have emailed shapeways on two occasions with no reply...

Very nice indeed Don....now we`re talking.
    Have exchanged emails with Roman recently, he`s going to have a `busmans holiday` he`s going
    back to do a few card models before he gives us any more 3D models

Quote Originally Posted by batesyboy View Post
    I too have emailed shapeways on two occasions with no reply...
    Well Lee, I emailed them an 'Oi! Where's my planes' email last night, and got a reply today:

"I see that all 6 are in production, we have huge backlogs on our Frosted Ultra Detail & White Strong & Flexible Polished materials, here you can read more about this:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archiv...ead-Times.html

I do not have exact shipping dates at this moment but I know that they are working hard to get all old orders out as soon as possible."

Whether this helps anyone who's still waiting, I don't know.....

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Well Lee, I emailed them an 'Oi! Where's my planes' email last night, and got a reply today:

"I see that all 6 are in production, we have huge backlogs on our Frosted Ultra Detail & White Strong & Flexible Polished materials, here you can read more about this:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archiv...ead-Times.html

I do not have exact shipping dates at this moment but I know that they are working hard to get all old orders out as soon as possible."

Whether this helps anyone who's still waiting, I don't know.....
    Helps me, as I got a few in FUD I'm waiting on, not worried about it, but thanks a bunch for the update.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

In reply to Hunters input...

That is the point, well for me at least. A few coats of acrylic varnish, did not repair the obvious eror in te finish. If your did, fine glad it worked. But there are a lot of us that it didnt work for and that I believe is the big issue. For the price for an assembled model then to have to basically build up more layers to repair what is supposed to be a finished item is not right.
    You compare to Skytrex, I have a lot of their models and noone is saying they are perfect but they are kits to be built and the price is lower. If I am going to repair a model I would rather do it from scratch than buy what is a supposedly finished item.
    As I said it works for you fine, its not worked for me at least and I am not overly impressed.
    As for flying solo as you said, not in the least that is the point of a forum to discuss different opinions and we are all grown up enough to understand we all have different opinions and views. The fact that i am right and you are wrong is imaterial so there

Of course I am not intending to be offensive with the last sentance matey just tongue firmly in cheek See you in the mess Hunter Ill stand you a beer
    My point is that I think Skytrex and Reverisco are garbage kits and what I've seen written on this site about them does not have near the vehemence as what's been written about Shapeways, which, IMHO and personal experience are not as bad. Somewhat of a double standard if you ask me. Perhaps, some feel it is okay to reinforce Skytrex, Reverisco, et al, substandard quality and obvious lack of pride in their products, by continuing to purchase their junk.

That said, of all people you have a right to be angry with your experience with Shapeways. What you got was horrible. If I worked for them, I would hang my head in shame and submit my resignation for letting all of your problems reflect on me by letting that mess leave the factory! You and the others that were wronged should be given your money back and a new order sent to you, for your time and hassle. That's my opinion.

Again, all I'm saying is give them another chance, they're new to our mini's. Or, you can write them off and go to Skytrex crap and cry about how there are no new mini's. A choice, as well. Yeah, yeah...I know, NEXUS is coming out with new stuff, just around the corner. Sure, it is...when it gets here. I'll have to take your word about that! As I've said previously, I will not continue to support Shapeways if they do not improve their quality, customer service, and make you whole. I will not reinforce bad behavior, which is why I don't buy Skytrex et al crap!

Chris, you can be right, I don't care! Please note my English mate that no offense is intended and none was ever received. I hope this gets worked out for you, sincerely.

I've always been partial to a Black and Tan, if you would be so good, sir!

Smile

I have just received an Email advising that my 2 Sopwith Triplanes in FUD are in Production----so heres hoping----

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    My point is that I think Skytrex and Reverisco are garbage kits and what I've seen written on this site about them does not have near the vehemence as what's been written about Shapeways, which, IMHO and personal experience are not as bad. Somewhat of a double standard if you ask me. Perhaps, some feel it is okay to reinforce Skytrex, Reverisco, et al, substandard quality and obvious lack of pride in their products, by continuing to purchase their junk.

That said, of all people you have a right to be angry with your experience with Shapeways. What you got was horrible. If I worked for them, I would hang my head in shame and submit my resignation for letting all of your problems reflect on me by letting that mess leave the factory! You and the others that were wronged should be given your money back and a new order sent to you, for your time and hassle. That's my opinion.

Again, all I'm saying is give them another chance, they're new to our mini's. Or, you can write them off and go to Skytrex crap and cry about how there are no new mini's. A choice, as well. Yeah, yeah...I know, NEXUS is coming out with new stuff, just around the corner. Sure, it is...when it gets here. I'll have to take your word about that! As I've said previously, I will not continue to support Shapeways if they do not improve their quality, customer service, and make you whole. I will not reinforce bad behavior, which is why I don't buy Skytrex et al crap!

Chris, you can be right, I don't care! Please note my English mate that no offense is intended and none was ever received. I hope this gets worked out for you, sincerely.

I've always been partial to a Black and Tan, if you would be so good, sir!
    Fair points matey, see you in the bar

I recieved a Junkers DI and a Fokker DVII and I was impressed with both of them.

Still waiting on the Sopwith Triplane.

So far my Sopwith`s in F U D have been dissapointing to say the least
    I have recieved one Sopwith in W S F and it was fine apart from a missing propellor (which turned up in
    with a Junkers D1)
    The Junkers has no undercarriage, and the `crash pylon` was distorted
    The little `Osprey` is a gem !
    As is the Fokker DVII.
    I was sent an apology note for the delay and a voucher to cover the cost for a further four aircraft...
    These will all be in W S F as it seems to be the most consistant material.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Colin
    Sorties Flown

Ordered from the UK on the 11th July and just had UPS confirmation that my order will be delivered today. Thats for 4 planes including the new Caproni Ca.3 and DH5 so I can't complain about slow production times.

Fingers still crossed about quality but I'll put some Caproni Ca.3 pics on later. Has anyone else received their bomber yet?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Colin
    Sorties Flown

Default Ca 3

Ca 3 just arrived, still waiting for 3 more but this one is spot on. Very pleased especially as there are no broken bits and this is a delicate model. The fuzziness that I've seen on others is visible on my cameras macro setting but to the naked eye barely visible. All in all I'd say they're as good as nexus (each have their problems which balance each other out) and only Sram produce better models,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4310.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	17229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4312.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	17230 but then thats what you pay for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4309.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by colinwe View Post
    Ca 3 just arrived, still waiting for 3 more but this one is spot on. Very pleased especially as there are no broken bits and this is a delicate model. The fuzziness that I've seen on others is visible on my cameras macro setting but to the naked eye barely visible. All in all I'd say they're as good as nexus (each have their problems which balance each other out) and only Sram produce better models, but then thats what you pay for.
    That looks as good as any that I have seen as of yet. Nice one Colin.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Colin
    Sorties Flown

Yes really pleased given previous pictures and the size of the thing made me expect lots of little broken bits. Best part of all was the fact it arrived whilst my wife was out.

lol.
    that looks great.
    Can't wait to see it painted.

That looks quite good. Presumably it didn't come with the gunners platform on the back - probably a bit too delicate for the printing process.

If you want a bit of inspration, have a look at this: http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Whe...Ca3/index.html

Very detailed pictures Gunners. Just what we need for that extra bit of verisimilitude.
    Rob.

Now that looks more like it, maybe Shapeways have found and rectified the problems some of us were seeing. Lets hope so

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Oooh! Can't wait to get mine!

Ca 3 just arrived, still waiting for 3 more but this one is spot on. Very pleased especially as there are no broken bits and this is a delicate model. The fuzziness that I've seen on others is visible on my cameras macro setting but to the naked eye barely visible. All in all I'd say they're as good as nexus (each have their problems which balance each other out) and only Sram produce better models,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4310.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	17229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4312.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	17230 but then thats what you pay for.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno_Stachel
    Sorties Flown

Which material is this in, white strong & flexible?

Thats a good looking plane, can't wait to see it painted up. ( Maybe Shapeways has fixed the finish problems. )

Haven't picked up any of Kampfflieger's WW1 planes as yet, so I can't say much about the finish problems some have been getting, but I have bought quite a few other models from Shapeways over the last few months (at least as detailed and of a similar size) in Transparent Detail that were perfect. Perhaps that might be a better medium to print the planes in ? Might be less sturdy than WSF, but no worse than most plastic or resin kits I'd have thought.

Should be fine if you don't go throwing them around if you lose
    Last edited by IRM; 07-20-2011 at 06:18.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Colin
    Sorties Flown

Default SHAPEWAYS JUST CANCELLED MY ORDER

Quote Originally Posted by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Which material is this in, white strong & flexible?
    The Ca 3 is in WSF but just had an email off them that the Sop tri, DH5 and D1 that I ordered with it in WSF have all been cancelled because;
    "we have not been able to polish the below listed models from above order", but I can "re-order the parts in un-polished".

A little confusing.....

I've just reordered in white flexible so i'll see how these turn out.

I think that the polishing process is a wash-out !
    I would stick to W S F and dip the models a couple or three times in somthing like `Johnson`s Klear`
    This is an acrylic floor polish that i have used in the past to repair scratched clear plastic items, such as canopies.
    All the polishing process seems to do is strip off delicate areas, without any real improvements to the finished surfaces.

Undiluted Kleer presumably?

Default Caproni CA3 Markings

With 25.4mm autocannon

With 37mm autocannon

Torpedo Version

French CEP 31

French CEP 115

Best part of all was the fact it arrived whilst my wife was out.
    You can't even imagine how often I rely on my wife getting home late from work so I can un-box and stash items I get in the mail. We have separate spending accounts for small stuff, but I know I cannot escape her pervasive judgement if my spending habits are discovered. I can hear the lecture now: "You will have nothing left for retirement! I will be living large while you scrape by eating ramen noodles and wearing tattered rags", to which I reply "But I like noodles!".

Lugz

Guess what guys !
    Johnson`s Klear is now discontinued due to our friends at elfandsafetey
    It`s now more than £10.00 a bottle on ebay...It shows you how good this stuff is...
    any alternatives ?

This is now sold as Pledge multi-surface wax. ("The improved formula Klear is now..." as it says on the bottle). I've used Pledge for a couple of years in washes for aircraft and vehicles so I can vouch for it. I hear it's even quite useful around the house but haven't tried it out for this yet .

The Ebay ad is quite funny - If you search 'klear' you get this bottle of Klear going for £11 (+£3.90 P&P ) with 8 bidders, yet right underneath there is a bottle of Pledge going for 4 squids (and you can save £3.99 P&P by buying it in Tesco). There's nowt so queer as folk.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 07-21-2011 at 08:04.

Quote Originally Posted by batesyboy View Post
    I think that the polishing process is a wash-out !
    I would stick to W S F and dip the models a couple or three times in somthing like `Johnson`s Klear`
    This is an acrylic floor polish that i have used in the past to repair scratched clear plastic items, such as canopies.
    All the polishing process seems to do is strip off delicate areas, without any real improvements to the finished surfaces.
    For those of us in the States, Klear is the same thing as Future floor polish.

Cheers Gunners, you`ve just saved me a few quid matey !

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    These have all been very useful additions to our achhive Zoe. Thanks for posting.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Colin
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    These have all been very useful additions to our achhive Zoe. Thanks for posting.
    Rob.
    I'll second that.
    Well I'll be painting my Ca3 this weekend; just done the first dip in Klear. As Klear is water based, does anyone know if there are issues with over painting in enamels after the Klears done its job?

What is everyone using to paint the Shapeways warbirds????

Col, as long as you give `Klear` enough drying time, it takes any paint pretty well
    I`d leave it at least overnight before overpainting (just to be sure)

Quote Originally Posted by Propjockey53 View Post
    What is everyone using to paint the Shapeways warbirds????
    Mine were undercoated with Army painter white spray. Base coat was Vallejo German Yellow, Lozenge painted with Vallejo Blue violet, German Cam. Bright Green and Prussian Blue. Nose was Vallejo Intense Yellow.
    Prop was Citadel Tau Sept Ochre with Devlan Mud, Underside was Vallejo Sky Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Thanks! More at http://www.aereimilitari.org/Storia/IGM/Caproni_5.htm

I look forward to seeing the Caproni painted.
    Nice selection of colour profiles. And Hey, Zoe, I live just up the road....,well in Mudgee (5 hours North of you!!).
    Last edited by pbhawkin; 07-23-2011 at 03:35. Reason: spelling

Hi chaps, most will know of the issue I personally have had with the Shapeways DR1 and the "knitted" lines on the models.
    I have mailed Shapeways CS and have received the following reply.

Just got feedback about your planes, because the planes have wheels at the front and the tail is on the ground the model has not a flat surface. Because it was located like this: \ in the printer you will always get printing lines in your model.

We can not decide the printing direction of the models customers order, we just select about 20 models and we let our software decide how to fill the tray most efficient.

So, if I got this right, it depends where your model is on the printing tray as to if you get pretty patterns on your model or not. It does seem now that it is pot luck.
    I would point out that the Shapeways CS have been helpful and offered a refund, which I will use to tryout the kit DVII model to see if thats ok.
    Just a bit dissapointed over the DR1 quality.

I guess i was pretty lucky with the DR1`s, but on the other hand, my two Sopwith Triplanes in Ultra Frosted Detail were a disaster..
    After two unanswered emails i have decided to totally give up on them.
    The Osprey and the DH5 are excellent as are the two Fokker DVII`s that i have ready to go...
    By the way , the `Pledge multi-surface Wax` is nowhere as good as the original `Klear` formulation, so i will be looking about for some
    alternatives

Thanks again for these extra additions Zoe. They will help a lot when we get round to repainting the Caproni bombers, or for the chaps who are scratch building them.
    Rob.

[B]Just got feedback about your planes, because the planes have wheels at the front and the tail is on the ground the model has not a flat surface. Because it was located like this: \ in the printer you will always get printing lines in your model.
    Um, couldn't they get around this by placing the model upside down and printing from the bottom?

I may be a bit daft with this idea, but couldn't we ask Kampfflieger to modify his models so as to have a rod under the tail that gets the plane in a horizontal position?

Easily done (I guess) and problem solved for everybody.
    Just cut the rod and you're ready...

No?

Good idea Bilbo.. and so obvious I'm sure many of us are now smacking our foreheads saying.. Why.. didn't I think of that.. lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    Um, couldn't they get around this by placing the model upside down and printing from the bottom?
    Hi Stuart, I can only tell you what Shapeways CS quoted me as per the bold letters

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast