Ares Games

Thread: More Warlord Blood Red Skies models on the way

Default More Warlord Blood Red Skies models on the way

OK I appreciate there is a running theme on the Aerodrome when Blood Red Skies is mentioned that goes something like

1. AIM are cheaper
    2 Scale problems
    3. Curly wings

Clearly this is a Wings of Glory forum, so some partisanship is to be expected, and, truth be told all three have some validity (even if they tend to ignore other problems with their preferred products). All that being said, it is looking like Warlord is stepping up and after some initial glitches will be providing some options we can all use, irrespective of our preferred rules.

I attended their Open Day and saw the plastic "test shots" of the Mossie, Hurricane, Me110 and Fw190As. I should stress these were test shots, pre production versions to try and sort out problems before production starts. Apologies about the pics, they were literally taken on the window ledge at the Open Day so no some lighting and focus issues

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_102156.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	256017 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_102203.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	256018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_102210.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	256019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_102307.jpg 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	256020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_102353.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	256021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_102405.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	256022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_102433.jpg 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	256023

As you can see, they're hard plastic - so no bendy wings. I can't say anything about the scale yet but they look ok so far. There are clear issues with the Hurricane and the panel lines on the 110 fuselage look like they may need some work, however they do seem to be quite good.

Warlord are also looking at metal. This is a bit of a retrograde step as far as BRS is concerned, however for Wings I don't see any problem.

Here's a comparison shot between the Warlord Me110 model and my painted AIM one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_114756.jpg 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	256024

Nice to see some more WoG-useable aircraft becoming available, although the panel lines look a bit heavy handed on all of them. No doubt a few coats of paint will obviate this.

Edit: good job on the 110 paintwork
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Is it possible to glue a Wings of Glory peg into the triangular hole on the underside of the models?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Is it possible to glue a Wings of Glory peg into the triangular hole on the underside of the models?
    I would doubt it, but you might try sticking one of these to the underside:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6Q...ionId=40952347

If you can show me a view of the underside hole I will try and work something out.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rob, the bottom shot of the Skeeter flipped shows the triangle hole. Have to agree the ribs on the ME 110 are a bit much though. way too deep for my liking.

im sure one could be cut or filed to fit and glued into place.

Or you could go with a magnet mounting.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I'll be honest; the Fw-190 is tempting, despite having a number of Clipper converted Doras waiting for repainting
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I agree with Karl now I have had the problem pointed out. Cementing a ball baring into the hole to pair up with a magnetic base would seem to be the simple answer.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    I would doubt it, but you might try sticking one of these to the underside:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6Q...ionId=40952347
    Have you used those posts yourself, Steve?

Have you used those posts yourself, Steve?
    I've haven't TBH. It just seemed that, given the stud is designed to fit a WoW peg, it would be a faff-free option. Personally I'd drill a hole in the bottom and glue in a ballbearing, then use a peg with a collar magnet attached as I do for all my non-WoW/WoG aircraft.

So they're out! and it's a bit of a Curates Egg.

There is a problem with the Hurricane - the port wing has two "extra" panel lines that should not be there. The annoying thing is this was a known issue on the "test" shot but it seems it didn't get fixed - you can see it in the photo I posted from the open day.

Other than that the Hurricane is quite good, the Mossie looks excellent too.

There has been some packaging screw ups with the BRS cards but that doesn't impact on folks here too much

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Drilling out the hole and gluing in a piece of plastic rod should work. Not all that different from what you usually need to do for 3D printed models.

I am a fan of Wings of Glory first and foremost. However I took a look at Blood Red Skies just out of curiosity. I was able to order some of the available sets/airplanes. However they have already run out of a number of models I was interested in, including the Ju88. Service at Warlord Games, as usual, was very good and I was able to get hold of a very nice Boulton Paul Defiant even though it is not listed for sale. I am not qualified to comment on the accuracy of the model, but to my eye it looks like the nicest of the BRS pieces I have seen so far. Does anyone here have any information on Warlord's re-stocking plans and release dates for new models?

I have not seen any AIM models in the flesh yet. However based on the good comments on this board, I have ordered a couple of sample planes. The catalogue is certainly very impressive and extensive.

I have found the new Wings of Glory Battle of Britain planes adapt very nicely to BRS and a few of the BRS releases, like the Defiant and Blenheim IV will work nicely with Wings of Glory. It seems like a win-win. Of course, I think many of us would prefer it if Ares would release more models more quickly, both new releases and older models that are now out of stock. For example, I have had a very hard time finding HE 111's for sale. I have purchased one, rather expensive model on eBay and I'm looking for more. I will certainly go to AIM if I can't find any more Ares models.

Just to update

Warlord have released the plastic Fw190A and Me110, both of which are very nice and in hard plastic. Disappointingly they have switched back to metal but have a full 2019 release schedule planned for 2019 including Spitfire IX, Fw190D9. Ju87D, Me410, MiG3, I16, Yak 1B, Beaufighter, La5FN and a Defiant in metal, with more US and Japanese promised. All good for WOG WW2 as well as BRS.

No new plastic expected in 2019, possibly some in 2020 including a Pacific themed starter box

The Pacific squadron based in Alameda, CA is disappointed in Warlord's support of our war effort so moving on to other contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    The Pacific squadron based in Alameda, CA is disappointed in Warlord's support of our war effort so moving on to other contractors.
    Corsairs and P40Es due out in a couple of months..... sadly metal

I have many of the AIM (Dave's) models that you have mentioned. Dave says he has been getting quite a few orders for BRS related planes. So you guys are keeping him busy.

A very quick look at this group for issues doesn't have anything leap out at me, as did the wings on the Spitfires and Me.109s.

I'm sure that many people here will be interested in the FW.190A, if not all the planes.

And, nice paint job on the Me.110.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Is there any news about when the Mosquito models will be released, please?

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    Here's a comparison shot between the Warlord Me110 model and my painted AIM one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180922_114756.jpg 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	256024
    Best I can determine, the painted Bf-110 is from 8 Staffel III./ZG 76:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WGS-Bf110C-ZG76-Card.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	264406
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Is there any news about when the Mosquito models will be released, please?

theyre already out.

I see Warlord has now or is soon releasing some WW2 barrage baloons, Im sure they can be utilised for WW1 also.
    These are made for the Cruel Seas naval game and will be a bit small for 1/144 but I believe can still be used .
    Take a look

http://www.warlordgames.com/cs-barrage-balloons/

Bit pricey for 300th scale Chris.
    I will stick with the ones Clipper made for me I think.
    Nevertheless thanks for the Heads Up, i'm sure some of the chaps will be only too glad to get a chance at them.
    Rob.

Warlord really missed the boat with the scale of Cruel Seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    Warlord really missed the boat with the scale of Cruel Seas.
    I see what you did there.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I see what you did there.
    I "bow" to the Punnism invoked, before anyone steps in with a "stern" warning!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I just got ten 1/600 barrage balloons on Ebay that were 3D printed for a fiver, these seemed to be a few seller with similar models in a variety of scales

That sounds like a real bargain, David. Well done!

Similar Missions

1. Blood Red Skies
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 311
    Last Post: 10-28-2018, 15:25
  2. Warlord Releases Metal PTO
    By Tokhuah in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-28-2018, 12:23
  3. Blood Red Skies planes
    By Baxter in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2