Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doncaster future events.

Default Doncaster future events.

Name:  4dfadf66969b2ad78ce9f76561f2c24cf970e579.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  40.2 KB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Calling ALL Forum UK members ~ YOUR Wing needs YOU!!
    Once a year we get together for gaming and friendship.
    This is normally held in Doncaster during September.

The forum has over 150 members in the UK wing
    However, normally an average of 20 UK members attend.

If you do not attend we would like you to let us know why?
    If you do attend, now is the opportunity to add your observations.

PLEASE take a few minutes to answer these questions:

Is Doncaster too far for you to travel ? Y/N
    If a move to Coventry was proposed would you be more likely to attend? Y/N

Alternatively, if the event was moved to different regional location each year
    would you at least attempt to attend the region event closest to you? Y/N

EG:
    2a Bristol
    2b Coventry
    2c Doncaster
    2d Hendon

Please indicate all of those you would prefer attend.

Is September inconvenient for you? Y/N
    If so what month would be more preferable? Please indicate.

J F M A M J J A S O N D

We normally use a well known 'chain' of accommodation
    Is the cost of accommodation there for one or two nights prohibitive? Y/N

Would you like to see a 'guest' game or two at the event which
    are not specifically Wings or Sails based. Y/N

If a trader was invited to support the show (wings and sails focused)
    would you be more inclined to attend the event? Y/N

Are you an infrequent gamer, not a whole weekend of gaming person? Y/N

if the location was closer to you would you attend, if for just one day? Y/N

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT.

Please feel free to copy this form and PM your replies to Maverick who will coordinate the results.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rob, Simon, and the Organizing Committee.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 06-15-2018 at 00:44.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Is there a problem with using the Museum in the future?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Only in so far as we are not drawing enough members to the event.
    I would also like to hear from any overseas members who can make an input especially about the most accessible airport for your journey. That one by PM to me please so as not to overburden Simon with extra considerations.
    Rob.

We just want to make the event accessible to as many members as possible, hence gathering your views and inputs to help guide us.
    To answer your question Paul, there is no issue with the museum, they love having us and we have loved being there, however if an alternate location would attract more members then we would be mad not to give it a go...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Fair enough Chris but I would have thought the Midlands geographically was ideal for UK members to get to, wherever they live, assuming they wanted to attend in the first place.

It is a bit far to travel for some forum members, but I will be watching the results with extreme interest, with a view to future planning...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Are you hinting you might come over one year Mike? That would be good.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Are you hinting you might come over one year Mike? That would be good.
    I'm buying lottery tickets. You could consider it a "faint hope clause" approach to travel planning.
    Mike

Overchannel perspective: Doncaster is OK (airports in Manchester or Leeds), Bristol would be fine (direct fligths, no trains), Coventry is in the middle of nowhere for us. Hendon would be OK too, but hard to say if there would be a cheap accommodation somewhere close to the venue (and I have a strong feeling there are not many players around London [sorry, Dave]). On the other way, getting to London is piece of cake from everywhere.

Rob demographicly speaking where are the largest number of active members in the UK wing?

Without going into too much research, they are mainly in the Yorkshire,Derby,Leicestershire,Nottinghamshire area, and the South West.

Rob.

Thought that was the case.

A quick look at the list of people attending this year and you have 20% of the UK wing turning up. Wonder what percentage of the US wing get to say Origins for example.

Daniel, there is an international airport at Birmingham. It is between Birmingham and Coventry.

Yes, David, I see, but connection from Prague to Birmingham is not as good as with Manchester of Leeds. Right now there are direct flights (CSA), but it is not a standard destination over all those years. As I said: From these four destinations Birmingham is the fourth for me. But I'm the only one and even the rests are ok

And one thing that came into my mind: moving from Doncaster to somewhere sledge means changing of the brand - I don't have a problem, would be nice to have a pin badge with different town, but Doncaster is sore at famous in our community

Thanks Daniel.
    I am taking this all on board.
    Rob.

Looking at the options in 2, I’m guessing Coventry might be linked with the air museum there. Bristol though? Maybe the Jet Age Museum at Gloucester?

Sorry missed the PM bit when on my phone lol
    Last edited by Popsical; 06-16-2018 at 12:55.

Thanks Mike.
    Rob.

Pm also envoyer

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    A quick look at the list of people attending this year and you have 20% of the UK wing turning up. Wonder what percentage of the US wing get to say Origins for example.
    Well, the USA is a bit bigger than the UK
    So anything happening in, say California would be a serious investment in money and vacation time.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

PM sent.
    See you on the Dark Side......

So anything happening in, say California would be a serious investment in money and vacation time.
    Excuses huh
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 06-19-2018 at 13:23.

Bit far for me to travel, even for a weekend gaming. Was it one of the choices for an alternative venue Rob?

Neil

PS: Supposed to be very sunny though, I hear.

Well you know how these things creep up on you even in serious threads Neil.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Bit far for me to travel, even for a weekend gaming. Was it one of the choices for an alternative venue Rob?

Neil

PS: Supposed to be very sunny though, I hear.
    What about York, Neil? New one or old one, who cares?

York has a train Museum , not quite the ticket though

Unfortunately York was not on the questionnaire.
    Rob.

Just brainstorming. York is the worst choice with getting in from Prague.

PM sent - be interested to see how many (long time) non-attendees (like myself) actually respond to this query, the majority above are attenders.

"He is wise who watches"

I have spoken to Chris aka Boney 10 today at Barrage about this issue regarding Doncaster. Every year I want to attend. Sadly I fail to do so because work and family commitments. I like the idea of different areas around the UK hosting a gathering. A while back I suggested RAF Cosford as another potential venue choice. The cost of hiring the venue was roughly Ł400. In Telford town centre there is a large Premier Inn and lots of restaurants and a pub that also serves food nearby. So if this is a viable option for us I am more than happy to be the local contact to liaise with RAF Cosford.

Sounds interesting Mark.

widgeney

Currently my calendar is filling up for September and I am available weekend of 8th and 15th

Doncaster this year is Sept 21st to 23rd Ian.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Well, the USA is a bit bigger than the UK
    Karl
    And Vicky Verka for those of us on The Left Coast to make Origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Just brainstorming. York is the worst choice with getting in from Prague.
    Don't worry Daniel. York was not put down as an option. Only those we shortlisted will be considered for a variety of reasons.
    Rob.

Hi Rob I've just sent a PM, I did see this earlier but only just got round to it. Sorry

It would be interesting to know how big the active UK membership was, i.e. the ones who contribute regularly to the forum or even irregularly and are you are managing to get most of them attending Doncaster, 20 out of 150 is about 15% and if the active membership is less than 150 I would say you are getting quite a good turn out for a weekend event. the other thing that would be interesting is how many respond to the questionaire.

I'm new here and so this will only be the 1st time I've not attended, but I would very much like to, just have other commitments this year.

Maybe you could PM the active members who don't attend and find out why not and that might give you a good insight for the future, but I expect you already thought of that route. I can certainly see that Doncaster is a hell of a long way from some parts of the UK, but it sounds like it's fairly central to many of your core gamers. Would it help laying on some form of transport from the Station in Doncaster which is mainline from London to Scotland. Doesn't help those in the S.W. though.
    I expect I'm just re-hashing old thoughts anyway.
    Cheers

SE of England is awkward to get from to Doncaster. The bloody great speed bump called London gets right in the way!
    Working to the school holiday timetable means September is a no go for me. Birmingham and down is about as far as practical for me for a day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Hi Rob I've just sent a PM, I did see this earlier but only just got round to it. Sorry

It would be interesting to know how big the active UK membership was, i.e. the ones who contribute regularly to the forum or even irregularly and are you are managing to get most of them attending Doncaster, 20 out of 150 is about 15% and if the active membership is less than 150 I would say you are getting quite a good turn out for a weekend event. the other thing that would be interesting is how many respond to the questionaire.

I'm new here and so this will only be the 1st time I've not attended, but I would very much like to, just have other commitments this year.

Maybe you could PM the active members who don't attend and find out why not and that might give you a good insight for the future, but I expect you already thought of that route. I can certainly see that Doncaster is a hell of a long way from some parts of the UK, but it sounds like it's fairly central to many of your core gamers. Would it help laying on some form of transport from the Station in Doncaster which is mainline from London to Scotland. Doesn't help those in the S.W. though.
    Cheers
    See post #13

Thanks for your input John. Your figures aren't so very far out. We do pick up overseas members from various stations airports etc, but most home grown participants arrive in their own transport because of bringing along equipment or caravans for those who prefer to be on site for the weekend.
    Would love to see you join our merry throng for next year.
    Rob.

Hi John I'm signing in today to answer this important question.

I send out personal messages (PM's) to around about 200 to 250 of the UK membership every year about the annual bash at Doncaster. I sometimes get 10 to 15 replies, that does not include the steadfast group who turn up year after year. As for distances I can only say that I have traveled 4.5 hours each way (Yes a 9 hour drive) to assist at a show for 6 hours getting home around 10 to 11pm. Personal circumstances change but some excuses are hard to swallow and are not worthy a mention here. I have supported shows from London to Edinburgh and from York to Wales. There are others who travel further, one member came from Bristol to help out a very minor show in Leeds. Another from London area who came to the Armouries at Leeds for a special invite show.

What I am trying to say is that Doncaster is your weekend, yes the UK memberships weekend. It is exclusively for Forum Members many of whom who come are not from the UK. We publish dates 12 months, or as near to as we can, in advance. Giving all a chance to re-arrange schedules where they can. 4-5 wives come along and whilst we have a 'busmans' weekend they hit the shops and our wallets. (joking lads just joking...wouldn't want you to put off coming).

The UK is the most active section of the forum but Doncaster could and should be better supported. This year costs to individuals, other than travel and hotel, would be minimal due to our successful raffles. We hope to continue this in the future. Ares have supported us in past years with some excellent prizes for games and members bring along prizes to include too. But with out the support of, no the continued support of, the UK membership this will be impossible to put on year after year.

So if you haven't thought about it think about it, then try it. Games start Friday afternoon right through until Sunday afternoon with the biggest furball game you'll ever play in.

I shall now get off my horse/soapbox and apologise for wittering on so much about something I am so passionate about.

Skafloc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Cheers

Thanks for filling in the details I could not answer Neil.
    Rob.

What the boss said.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I send out personal messages (PM's) to around about 200 to 250 of the UK membership every year about the annual bash at Doncaster. I sometimes get 10 to 15 replies, that does not include the steadfast group who turn up year after year. As for distances I can only say that I have traveled 4.5 hours each way (Yes a 9 hour drive) to assist at a show for 6 hours getting home around 10 to 11pm. Personal circumstances change but some excuses are hard to swallow and are not worthy a mention here. I have supported shows from London to Edinburgh and from York to Wales. There are others who travel further, one member came from Bristol to help out a very minor show in Leeds. Another from London area who came to the Armouries at Leeds for a special invite show.

What I am trying to say is that Doncaster is your weekend, yes the UK memberships weekend. It is exclusively for Forum Members many of whom who come are not from the UK. We publish dates 12 months, or as near to as we can, in advance. Giving all a chance to re-arrange schedules where they can. 4-5 wives come along and whilst we have a 'busmans' weekend they hit the shops and our wallets. (joking lads just joking...wouldn't want you to put off coming).

The UK is the most active section of the forum but Doncaster could and should be better supported. This year costs to individuals, other than travel and hotel, would be minimal due to our successful raffles. We hope to continue this in the future. Ares have supported us in past years with some excellent prizes for games and members bring along prizes to include too. But with out the support of, no the continued support of, the UK membership this will be impossible to put on year after year.

So if you haven't thought about it think about it, then try it. Games start Friday afternoon right through until Sunday afternoon with the biggest furball game you'll ever play in.

I shall now get off my horse/soapbox and apologise for wittering on so much about something I am so passionate about.

Skafloc.
    Well said Neil! Salute Sir.

Skafloc.
    People make time for the things that are really important to them.
    ~Mandy Hale
    This is a quote I saw many years ago, and it is something I've been conscious of ever since. And, I am as guilty of this as anyone for some things. Money is almost always my excuse. I can give my time, and do, for lots of things. However, if I have to put out money to do it, it becomes an order of magnitude more difficult. Like spending three days working on that deck project for a friend. It cost me a bit of gas and a lot of sore muscles.

Getting to the mainland to visit my sister costs $200+ in gas and ferries. I don't do that more than once a year, and usually because I tie it into other things, like BottosCon, or something.

When it comes to hosting games at conventions, if I can do it locally (within a few hours), I'm all over that. M-Con 2018 (Nanaimo, an hour drive South) is coming in September, and I will be there with my Tripods. Otherwise, it is money I can spend on my hobby, and not on ferries, gas, and hotels.

I have to give serious props to those in Britain that travel the big distances for their passion, and do it on a yearly basis. Bravo for supporting the best game in the world!
    Mike

Something that struck me in all of this is the idea that Donnie isn't well supported. From experience I'd like to suggest that, for a niche wargaming subject a helluvalong way from many UK members, and when compared with similar events aimed at other niches, it seems to be incredibly well attended and supported, something that the team should be very proud of as it certainly bucks the wargaming trend. To be honest its sometimes difficult to see where all that many extra players could "fit" - the place always seems crowded (and for an "on the spectrum" agoraphobic like me a bit scary at times). Its a little sad that some feel that they have to provide "excuses" for not coming, and that they seem "hard to swallow", and I'm sure it wasn't meant the way it sounded. I've not made all of the events to date, for a start my enthusiasm waxes and wanes, I have a family and sometimes I just can't afford it (for some the cost is trivial, for others it is the difference between a mediocre or decent set of meals for a month, so don't be too hard on the 200-odd members who don't make it).

Of course I'm not saying it should be limited, or that efforts to encourage more to come shouldn't happen, but I don't think Neil and co should be disheartened at the turnout, it really is most excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. The Future of future and past re-prints
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2017, 15:12
  2. National Events 2014
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 12:09
  3. National: Events Calendar
    By CappyTom in forum US Wing