Ares Games

Thread: Using altitude rules with the D8 solo system

Default Using altitude rules with the D8 solo system

Is there a procedure for such? I’ve searched and found nothing relevant

I don't think the various solo systems deal with altitude. The
    Human player has to choose altitude changes and apply them. I don't know whether or not a (rather) simple rule of altitude could be implemented for AI. Interesting question.
    Last edited by Le Piaf; 03-29-2023 at 22:31.

You could examine the circumstances where pilots tended to use altitude as a tool and then apply a random set of cards to choose from if one of those chances arose Luc. For instance, if any of my AI pilots is having to make a run for the lines, I always overdive him and then make a sharp turn at random to help him escape, even if he is on the side of the enemy. From my reading of many pilots accounts of engagements this is what they seem to have done on a regular basis even if not under pressure from attacking enemies. I dare say that with a bit of research this could be extended for other situations.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I was intending on using dive/climb in place of straights and stalls, where applicable and appropriate, and simply try to use common sense to apply altitude rules while using the D8 solo system. I’m new to the game still, however, and am simply planning ahead for how I want to play as I learn- and to that end, was curious if anyone had already done so and if so, how. Heck, I’ll even just take speculative ideas, like the above…thank you for the input!

I suppose you have seen this thread

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-using-the-App

The sequence of condition checks is somewhat cumbersome so I have implemented an own app and experimented with the proposal.

However, I came to the conclusion that WGF + solo + altitude do not work well, so I stopped using altitude. When I have time, I plan to implement some of the many proposed alternative house rules...

By contrast, in WGS where planning is done after each turn and the climb card can be played every other turn, playing solo with altitude works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RudeReality View Post
    I was intending on using dive/climb in place of straights and stalls, where applicable and appropriate, and simply try to use common sense to apply altitude rules while using the D8 solo system...
    The D8 charts are mine and that's pretty much how it works unless you use one of the house rule altitude sets, I use my own where I'm able to climb/dive on most cards.
    Like the actual rules altitude is a bolt on to the solo rules, none of which are designed to use altitude iirc. Mine certainly weren't.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Derrick
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    I suppose you have seen this thread

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-using-the-App

The sequence of condition checks is somewhat cumbersome so I have implemented an own app and experimented with the proposal.

However, I came to the conclusion that WGF + solo + altitude do not work well, so I stopped using altitude. When I have time, I plan to implement some of the many proposed alternative house rules...

By contrast, in WGS where planning is done after each turn and the climb card can be played every other turn, playing solo with altitude works well for me.
    I know I'm really late checking back in. But thanks for giving that solo altitude you linked a shot.

I'm surprised that even with the app you didn't find it effective. It did confirm my own thoughts.

1. Too complicated (but your app should have solved that). For me it is easy, because it is in my head. I was thinking about making that a flow chart.

2. My main concern is that is how I play altitude. So if you were playing me, those priorities (1,2,3, and 4) would be what I am thinking about. The reason this is a problem is that it just ends up me playing me. So of course it works.

My problems with just picking to follow you on altitude is it doesn't account for photo recon if you are defending.

However, if I were to play it that way, I would have the AI climb until it is full of counters. As is obviously my opinion by the rules I posted.

I one day will come up with something simpler. But I had been working on a solo variant for another game and now, I'm writing an adventure for a solo RPG I play. But I'll work on a flow chart of what I have at least.
    Last edited by Derrick; 09-07-2023 at 05:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
    I know I'm really late checking back in. But thanks for giving that solo altitude you linked a shot.

I'm surprised that even with the app you didn't find it effective. It did confirm my own thoughts.

1. Too complicated (but your app should have solved that). For me it is easy, because it is in my head. I was thinking about making that a flow chart.

2. My main concern is that is how I play altitude. So if you were playing me, those priorities (1,2,3, and 4) would be what I am thinking about. The reason this is a problem is that it just ends up me playing me. So of course it works.

My problems with just picking to follow you on altitude is it doesn't account for photo recon if you are defending.

However, if I were to play it that way, I would have the AI climb until it is full of counters. As is obviously my opinion by the rules I posted.

I one day will come up with something simpler. But I had been working on a solo variant for another game and now, I'm writing an adventure for a solo RPG I play. But I'll work on a flow chart of what I have at least.
    I suspect, the way I set up my scenarios, makes any altitude usage less effective.
    Your conditions are logical and make sense. I suggest, however, that altitude tactics should distinguish at least between fast and slow climbers.

Some times back, I started a project for a simulator that automatically playtests solo rules. That tool would allow to quickly asses the effect of complex vs simple rules, w vs w/o altitude. Unfortunately, that project is steadily lingering on the procrastination shelve.
    Thx for the REP btw.

Similar Missions

1. WoG Solo System
    By KirkH in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-29-2021, 21:00
  2. Altitude and Solo Rules - (Richard Bradley)
    By Radovic in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-14-2014, 13:05
  3. Solo altitude rules poll
    By Brambo in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 06:01
  4. WW1 Solo Rules - Altitude
    By Brambo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 14:53
  5. New House rules: skill system, altitude, etc. need feedback.
    By graysin1337 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 19:30