Ares Games

Thread: Night Fighting rules for Wings of Glory WWI

Default Night Fighting rules for Wings of Glory WWI

Night Fighting Rules for Wings of Glory WWI

1. Additions to the normal turn sequence.

1.1, After all movement has been completed there will be a spotting phase.

1.2, After all firing spotting is updated.

2. New counters to be used for Night Fighting are Spotlights and Eyes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Night Spotting Chits.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	231499

Using the counters.

2.1, When planes acquire visual contact at close range you will place a #Spotlight counter on the spotted plane and an #Eye with the same number on the spotting planes. This happens in the spotting phase after movement and possibly after the shooting phase.

2.2, Whenever a plane fires, at the end of the shooting phase, it will acquire a SpotlightALL counter. Also, any planes within close range that had not previously seen this firing plane will automatically spot it as in 2.1 above and place the #Spotlight and #Eyes as necessary.

2.3, Any plane on fire acquires a SpotlightALL counter at the end of the shooting phase. Also, any planes within close range that had not previously seen this plane will automatically spot it as in 2.1 above and place the #Spotlight and #Eyes as necessary.

3. How to acquire visual contact.

3.1, After the movement phase before shooting there is now a spotting phase.

3.2, When an unspotted plane is within short range of another plane, spotting is attempted.

3.3, Spotting is not restricted to the firing arc. Spotting is done at 360* from the spotting plane’s peg to the target’s base. There may be an instance, like shooting, where one plane is at close and the other long range because of the base angles. Only the close range may attempt to spot.

3.4, The plane attempting to spot draws an ‘A’ damage card for each plane it is trying to acquire visual contact.

3.5, When trying to spot a plane that starts with less than 20 hit points, if an ‘A’ damage card with no special damage is drawn, spotting is successful. Place a #Spotlight counter on the spotted plane. Place an #Eye with the corresponding # to the #Spotlight on the plane that just acquired visual contact. Any additional planes spotting a plane with a #Spotlight will gain an #Eye with the same # as the #Spotlight.

3.5b, When trying to spot a larger plane that starts with over 20 hit points or more, spotting is successful with all non-special damage cards and any special damage with ‘0’ or ‘1’ damage. Place #Eye and #Spotlight as 3.5.

(reshuffle spotting cards back into the deck every 2nd or 3rd turn or immediately when a Boom card is turned)

3.6, In subsequent turns if a plane remains within close range, another attempt can be made to spot. If in subsequent turns a plane remains within close range of an already spotted plane, visual contact is kept. (whether there is shooting or not)

3.7, If using altitude, spotting rules ignore differences in altitude of 1 level. Spotting is always measured in the normal half and full measure stick distances. Planes that are 2 or more levels apart cannot attempt to spot but will see planes with “SpotlightALL’ counters on them. Shooting is still the same and one must be at half a measure stick to be able to fire when at 1 altitude difference.

3.8, At the end of a shooting phase, any planes that fired will gain a SpotlightAll counter. Also, any planes within close range of a plane that just shot will acquire #Eye counters while the plane that just shot gets a #Spotlight.

3.9, A plane can have a maximum of only two Spotlights on it, a numbered #Spotlight or a SpotlightALL.

3.10, All planes see any planes with SpotlightALL counters no matter the distance.

4. Losing visual contact.

4.1, Planes that do not shoot have their SpotlightALL counter removed at the end of the shooting phase.

4.2, In the spotting phase, if a spotted plane has moved out of close range and does not have a SpotlightALL counter, it will lose it’s #Spotlight with the other planes’ corresponding #Eyes also removed.

4.3, Planes that move beyond long range lose all #Eyes and #Spotlights to and from it.

5. Shooting at spotted planes.

5.1, A plane cannot be fired upon unless it has at least one Spotlight on it at the beginning of the shooting phase.

5.2, Planes with a SpotlightALL can be shot at by anyone within range, normal shooting rules apply.

5.3, A plane with a #Spotlight can only be shot at by a plane with a corresponding #Eye.

5.4, When first spotted at close range from drawing a non-special damage ‘A’ card, on that immediately following shooting phase, only one card of damage is taken. Also, the blind spot is ignored for this shooting phase for rearward firing planes. (see blind spot rule below)

5.5, If you have visual contact on a plane with a #Spotlight (no SpotlightALL) for more than one maneuver card at close range, you will fire normally. (two damage cards at the same altitude)

6. Blind Spot

As this is night spotting, you are not allowed to sneak up and get into a blind spot behind the enemy with no ‘SpotlightALL’…not that easy!…you will have to achieve that after spotting. For first visual contact per plane, you are not considered to be in a blind spot. If first visual contact has you in the enemy’s blind spot, it can still shoot you if it spotted you, regardless of altitude. The blind spot is then treated normally if contact is kept. If a plane was spotted because it shot, (has a SpotlightALL counter) the blind spot is treated normally.

Once visual contact has been lost, the spotting process will start over as well as the blind spot.

Night Rules summary

Spotting attempts are done at ½ measure stick distance at same or 1 level altitude difference.

Once spotted, if close range is maintained visual contact is kept regardless if shooting or not.

Planes that shoot or that are on fire are automatically spotted.

Planes must have #Spotlight or SpotlightALL counter on them to be shot at.

Firing on a plane that was just spotted at close range without a SpotlightALL already on it is treated as a long-range shot.

Planes that don’t fire remove it’s SpotlightALL counter.

All #Eyes and #Spotlights are removed from planes beyond long distance.

Spotting Examples

Turn X
    4 planes, HP = Handley Page bomber, 1 red strip Fokker DVII, 2 Albatros DVa and 3 white Fokker DVII.
    After movement…
    1 is at close range and right behind and has the bomber in it’s firing arc.
    2 is at close range but to the left of the HP flying parallel, does not have the bomber in it’s gunsights.
    3 is just beyond long range but closing in.

HP attempts to spot 1 drawing a 0 with no special damage and succeeds. Place the ‘Eye1’ counter on the HP and a ‘Spotlight1’ counter on 1.
    1 attempts but draws a 5 pilot wound and does not spot the bomber.
    HP attempts to spot 2 drawing a 2 with no special damage and spots 2. Place the ‘Eye2’ on the HP and the ‘Spotlight2’ on 2.
    2 attempts and draws a 1 rudder jam and does not spot the bomber.
    3 is out of range so no attempt at spotting.
    Photo after moving and spotting.

Name:	night fighting 1.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	231288

Even though 1 would normally be in the HP’s blind spot, the HP gets to shoot at 1 as this is first firing immediately after spotting. The HP draws a 2 damage on 1. As the HP fired, place a ‘Spotlight ALL’ counter on it. As 1 and 2 are at close range and the HP fired, place an ‘Eye3’ on 1 and 2 and ‘Spotlight’ 3 on the HP.
    At this point 1, 2 and 3 see the HP. The HP sees 1 and 2.
    PHOTO after shooting

Name:	night fighting 2.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	343.1 KB 
ID:	231289

Turn X +1

The HP moves forward. 1 moves forward staying behind the HP at close range. 2 side slips left and is now at long range, still parallel to the HP. Remove 2’s ‘Spotlight2’ and the Gotha removes it’s ‘Eye2’.
    3 closes in a bit and gets into long range with the HP in it’s arc.

Name:	night fighting 3.JPG 
Size:	355.4 KB 
ID:	231290

The HP now cannot fire at 1 as it is in the blind spot. The HP does not see 2 and 3 as both are at long range and do not have ‘SpotlightALL’ counters on them. 1 fires drawing 2 cards. 3 fires drawing 1 card. Both 1 and 3 place “SpotlightALL’ counters on them as they have fired. After all firing is done, the HP removes it’s ‘SpotlightALL’ counter as it did not fire this phase. 3 does not get an ‘Eye’ counter as it is at long range.
    At this point the HP sees 1 and 3, 2 and 3 do not see the HP while the HP does not see 2.
    PHOTO after shooting

Name:	night fighting 4.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	231291

Turn X +2

The HP stalls. 1 goes straight and overlaps the rear of the HP base. 2 turns right and gets to close range. Spotting attempt by the HP at 2 draws a 2 fire and it fails to spot 2. 2 draws a 0 and spots the HP, placing an ‘Eye3’ on 2. 3 stalls and stays at long range.

Name:	night fighting 5.JPG 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	231292

1 cannot fire as it is overlapping. (If using altitude, the HP may be able to fire at 1. If using the optional collision rules there is a possible collision as the front corners of 1’s base are overlapping the HP’s base.) 2 fires with 1 card on the HP. The HP fires on 3 long range drawing 1 card. 3 cannot fire as it is at long range and had lost visual contact when the HP did not fire last firing phase.
    After all firing is done, 1 and 3 removes their ‘SpotlightALL’ counters as they did not fire. The HP and 2 get ‘SpotlightALL’ counters. The HP also gets an ‘Eye4’ and 2 a ’Spotlight4’.
    At this point the HP sees 1 and 2. 1, 2 and 3 see the HP.
    Photo after shooting.

Name:	night fighting 6.JPG 
Size:	335.1 KB 
ID:	231293

Optional rules

Collisions

Collisions at night can happen at a higher rate as visibility is restricted. Collisions between at least one unspotted plane and any other plane will happen when there is a peg / base overlap as usual, but also when 2 corners of a base on one of the planes involved overlaps the other base.
    It’s important to know where the enemy and friendly planes are to lessen the chances of a collision. Spotting for friendly planes must be done as well as enemy. Do this for both sides in solo games.

Blinded by Muzzle Flash

If a firing plane is not fitted with guns that are shielded from the firer, (i.e., comic, Lewis on upper wing...) it will lose visual contact if you fire and the enemy target plane did not fire. ( i.e., if you fire and there is no shooting at all by the targeted enemy plane, you will lose your #Eye on it and will have to reacquire visual contact.)

Bright Moon Light

If your mission is under a bright moon and clear skies it will be easier to keep your eye on the planes around you once you have spotted them. (You can roll randomly for it or set the Moon phase and weather as you see fit.)

Spotting is now attempted at long range instead of close.

Visual contact is maintained out to long range instead of close range even if no firing is witnessed.

Visual contact will be lost if beyond long range and no firing is witnessed.

Firing range is now normal once visual contact has been made. Ignore 5.4 under a bright moon.

Blue on blue

Pilots flying at night may be a bit jumpy when spotting a plane.

Any rookies that spot a friendly plane must draw a second ‘A’ card. Another non-special damage card must be drawn to recognize this as a friendly plane. Drawing a special damage card, he will think the plane is an enemy and will shoot if possible. As long as he stays in close range he gets to draw another card to recognize the plane in the next spotting phase. Once recognized, this plane will always be friendly for the remainder of the game.

Non-rookie non-ace pilots will recognize a friendly plane if his drawn card is a successful spot and it is a non-‘0’ card. If he failed to recognize the friendly plane he will shoot if possible. As long as he stays in close range he gets to draw another card in the next spotting phase to recognize the plane. Once recognized, this plane will always be friendly for the remainder of the game.

Ace pilots will recognize a plane as friendly if his drawn card is successful and it is a '0', '1' or '2' card. If he failed to recognize the friendly plane he will shoot if possible. As long as he stays in close range he gets to draw another card in the next spotting phase to recognize the plane. Once recognized, this plane will always be friendly for the remainder of the game.

In solo games, enemy AI planes will not shoot at each other.

In solo games, your controlled plane(s) do not have to shoot.

This may look intimidating at first but if you play out 4-5 turns to test run it you'll find it is actually easy. You'll get frustrated as your target often disappears into the darkness, but this is night fighting!

I'm close to finishing up a WW2 version that I will post.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 08-31-2017 at 18:33.

this sounds interesting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    I plan on running a game at Origins next year using this. By then I hope it will be well played by all and any kinks worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    It plays very well Phillip, Peter wrote us a scenario for OTT based around a version of these rules - if you'd like to take a look and see how we got on then check out the AARs linked from this thread http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...766#post452766

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I plan on running a game at Origins next year using this. By then I hope it will be well played by all and any kinks worked out.

i was hoping that would be the case!!!!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

These look very complete and well-thought-out, Peter! Not that I would expect anything else from the Teaticket...

I shall have to try them with our local group - we've been wanting to try some night flying/fighting.

All the best,
    Matt

Peter; any chance you can put this into the files, for easy reference and downloading?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I looked to do that but didn't see a way to attach the example photos or the counters. Can this be done?

Insert the pics into a word doc, or a pdf.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Insert the pics into a word doc, or a pdf.
    Karl
    Ah ha, will do!

Peter, these are great once planes get into spotting range but the problem with night-fighting in the game is that we have to see to move the models and so we can see where the enemy is and move to within spotting range. In W.W.1 the night-fighters had no two-way radio and no radar, they flew a fixed patrol path in the hope of spotting something or to be attracted to a target by searchlights or anti-aircraft artillery. They could not fly to the far end of the mat because the player can see a bomber there. What is needed is some means of concealing the bomber until is it within spotting range.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Peter, these are great once planes get into spotting range but the problem with night-fighting in the game is that we have to see to move the models and so we can see where the enemy is and move to within spotting range. In W.W.1 the night-fighters had no two-way radio and no radar, they flew a fixed patrol path in the hope of spotting something or to be attracted to a target by searchlights or anti-aircraft artillery. They could not fly to the far end of the mat because the player can see a bomber there. What is needed is some means of concealing the bomber until is it within spotting range.
    This is something I thought about. I have seen other rules that have two cards out moving around and one is a ghost. This is a guessing game and you may never find the real target before it gets off the board. I didn't see that as much fun. I made it so you are in range for spotting, you know you are in proximity to the target from getting a faint glimpse or see an engine spark... and now are dealing with getting good enough visual contact to have a chance to shoot confidently.

This is not something that can easily be modeled but I think I present a gaming solution so something akin to a night fight can be played. If you have a better solution please let us know.

This is something I thought about. I have seen other rules that have two cards out moving around and one is a ghost. This is a guessing game and you may never find the real target before it gets off the board. I didn't see that as much fun. I made it so you are in range for spotting, you know you are in proximity to the target from getting a faint glimpse or see an engine spark... and now are dealing with getting good enough visual contact to have a chance to shoot confidently.

This is not something that can easily be modeled but I think I present a gaming solution so something akin to a night fight can be played. If you have a better solution please let us know.
    I agree. At first reading, I also wondered about a "ghost" rule for determining the location of the target, but soon realized there might be no sighting which would make for a disappointing game. I like what you've come up with, Peter...especially with the inclusion of Bright Moons and Rookies (it's these little caveats that make the game interesting)! It's certainly worth a rep!!

For what it's worth, I like your markers but, and I'm NOT trying to be picky, I have one little suggestion. Wouldn't they be more visibly definitive if the "Spotted" Airplane marker matched the color of the "Spotting" Eye marker (i.e., Purple Airplane #1 with Purple Eye #1, Light Blue Airplane #2 with Light Blue Eye #2)? Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    I agree. At first reading, I also wondered about a "ghost" rule for determining the location of the target, but soon realized there might be no sighting which would make for a disappointing game. I like what you've come up with, Peter...especially with the inclusion of Bright Moons and Rookies (it's these little caveats that make the game interesting)! It's certainly worth a rep!!
    Thanks for the REP Mike. As you mentioned in your REP comment, having the possibility to have night raids on London was sorely missing. I finally gave up waiting for someone else to come up with something and put this together. Unfortunately this has been a solo effort as there is no one near me where I live. Play it out and if you can come up with anything new to add let me know. This goes for everyone out there.

I'll soon be adding in ground searchlights once I read up more one some night missions.

For what it's worth, I like your markers but, and I'm NOT trying to be picky, I have one little suggestion. Wouldn't they be more visibly definitive if the "Spotted" Airplane marker matched the color of the "Spotting" Eye marker (i.e., Purple Airplane #1 with Purple Eye #1, Light Blue Airplane #2 with Light Blue Eye #2)? Just saying...
    How about I put a matching band of color on the bottom half? I didn't want it too close to the Eyes to keep them distinct.

How about I put a matching band of color on the bottom half? I didn't want it too close to the Eyes to keep them distinct.
    I was thinking not the Eye itself but the background.

I was thinking not the Eye itself but the background.
    Ahhh, the plane in the spotlight color. Funny I colored the planes not even thinking of matching the color. Will do, and a small band of the same along the bottom of the chit.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 08-31-2017 at 05:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    In the game Flight Leader you had to fly your pre-programmed route until you acquired a Tally.

Just a thought, now that it has been brought up ...
    How about some more distinctly different colors for the 'eyes' ?

Green / Red / Yellow / Orange come to mind.

Yes, that is now the plan. I'll recolor the Eye counter background in 12 distinctive colors. The plane in the spotlight will match and there will be a stripe along the bottom in matching colors.

Counters are now color coded in different colors. Should be easier to recognize who sees who now. Thanks for the nudge Mike.

Counters are now color coded in different colors. Should be easier to recognize who sees who now. Thanks for the nudge Mike.
    Well that was quick!

Nicely done, Peter.

How about something like this? Each side places a series of numbered markers around the table, along the table edges or over potential targets. They then note down the flight path for each aircraft in terms of the order of the markers to which they fly. They must follow the flight path unless and until contact is made.

Well done, Peter! I LIKE!!

Very creative and thoughtful, Peter. Will you be using these rules at either the Council or Fall In ?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    How about something like this? Each side places a series of numbered markers around the table, along the table edges or over potential targets. They then note down the flight path for each aircraft in terms of the order of the markers to which they fly. They must follow the flight path unless and until contact is made.
    Again, this could be a game where you never bump into your target. I think we have to assume we have gotten close enough to start the spotting for shooting to use what I have here.

If you think this is a better way please try it out and tell us how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    Very creative and thoughtful, Peter. Will you be using these rules at either the Council or Fall In ?
    Bill
    Thanks Bill. Yes, this is what I am using at both shows. You'll have the chance to play each side!

Thanks Bill. Yes, this is what I am using at both shows. You'll have the chance to play each side!
    VERY COOL !!! Looking forward to seeing it from both sides !!!
    B

Humm... I like it, but I'd change it so that spotting etc. that would occur at close range can happen at both close and long range, and anything that would happen from moving outside of close range occurs when moving outside of long range instead. Perhaps with treated "close" and "long or close" and "long" as "anywhere on the board" (or perhaps "within two ruler's distance?)

I have the optional Bright Moon Light rule for those that want to make spotting easier. Have you tried playing with the night rules yet?

Looking good, but if you're over the target area (the map with the targets.) (i.e. London), there should be rules for ground based searchlights as well. At least in London, the defenses were first designed for, and continued to be used for, use against zeppelins, which flew at ever increasing altitudes from 1916 on. (Easily as much as 5000 meters.) So ground based flack should easily be able to reach the altitude that bombers would fly at, as would the numerous searchlights.

Rule idea for searchlights:

If within two rulers distance, draw a 'C' deck card each phase. If the number on the card is 4 or less, discard it. If the number is 6 or more or an explosion, the aircraft is caught in a searchlight. (If the aircraft starts with less than 20 hit points, it must be an "8" or more or an explosion instead.) (No damage of any kind is done to the aircraft of course.) While caught on a searchlight, any aircraft can attack it at no penalty. At the beginning of all subsequent turns (before plotting), draw another "C" card. If it is a '0,' the aircraft is no longer caught in a searchlight, otherwise it still is. It is also no longer caught in a searchlight if an any subsequent phase it moves more than 2 rulers away from the searchlight. An aircraft caught in a searchlight can also be attacked by ground based heavy AA (otherwise it can't be.) (Heavy AA over London has no altitude restrictions.)

If any aircraft is within range of multiple searchlights, it can be caught in more than one searchlight at once. Draw cards for both, including to be no longer in a searchlight. (So one my lose track of the aircraft, but the other doesn't.) Otherwise there is no additional effect for being caught in more than one searchlight.

I was hoping to get back to this and add in searchlight rules, hence the searchlight icon on the spotting markers. Looks good, thanks for getting to this.

Brilliant addition - well done chaps - what are the rules for spotting a Zeppelin?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Brilliant addition - well done chaps - what are the rules for spotting a Zeppelin?
    Yes, I have to add that in, then on to WW2.

Similar Missions

1. WWI Night Fighting Rules and Equipment
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-27-2023, 00:53
  2. Wings of Glory vs. Wings of War - rules differences?
    By Eris Lobo in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2014, 23:55
  3. National: Wings of Glory Night a Firenze - Dopo il record
    By Ducalutra in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 14:40
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53
  5. Night-Fighting Rules -- hopefully simplified...
    By csadn in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 14:11