Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange terain below, Strange Musings

Default Strange terain below, Strange Musings

Just put a few things in the car for a display at Hunter's Memorial Service this afternoon. A few models and photographs of his times among us. Lots of thoughts. One that has kept me up a little.

Years ago Terry and I started a campaign to make our own duel packs for beginners, back when there were only few minis available and no more were in the pipeline. We gathered loads of Shapeways and started a painting night and produced a dozen sets which we promptly sent to many fans. Now I have been asked to help distribute his collections for the estate . . .

Yikes! Literally 2 large rooms full of boxes of models, decals, minis, collectables . . . OH MY! I am scheduled to visit the house next week to get a look at the collection. Any thoughts? Any ideas? And a strange echo emerges from my garage in a resonance of the call . . . and what of us . . . ? . . . cue the Twilight Zone music . . . .

A difficult and sad task for you my friend. Are there any local conventions near you ? A few years ago I was at the Williamsburg Muster and they were selling things of one member that had passed away. It is unreal how much stuff we collect over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    ... Any thoughts? Any ideas? ...
    I am sure a special sale area on this website would ensure Hunter's collection would be distributed to those who would keep him in our collective memory (and avoid eVil Bay to boot)

I think the same thing when I look at all the books and magazines I have.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

First bag of 48 minis with cards, The Hunter Squadrons are starting to arrive . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190323_185239.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	264945

A shot of the Wings display at the service . . .

Name:	20190323_144850.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	264946

It does seem appropriate to auction off various items here before resorting to EvilBay. In addition, consider donating some of his collection to the Lend-Lease efforts here on the 'Drome.

And of course, donate net proceeds to his favorite charity.

As Bob said, it's a sad task you have, best of luck with it.

The Wings display at the service was a nice act.

If Hunter's Estate is unentailed and his dependents don't need all the money, it would certainly be a nice gesture to donate a few choice models to the LL project. I am also sure that members would love to share in his memory by purchasing some of his models Dave.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

You might PM Keith, and ask if he could help through the AA.
    Lord knows I've wondered how my sisters would handle my air force (let alone the rest of the gaming stuff) if I suddenly passed.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    If Hunter's Estate is unentailed and his dependents don't need all the money, it would certainly be a nice gesture to donate a few choice models to the LL project. I am also sure that members would love to share in his memory by purchasing some of his models Dave.
    Rob.
    Agreed.

I think Hunter would be both proud and pleased to see his collection handed down to other dedicated 'Drome Wings players.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

All worthy ideas, I will look into them all. Much depends on number, completeness and impact on our economy, I would hate to release a dozen balloon sets just as Ares does and be known as the production disaster guy. Last count he had over 1,000 minis still boxed in cases . . . strange is as strange is . . . and while it's an obsession of collection for us, it is still business for others, as usual it seems . . . cheers!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

I like the charity idea and supporting the LL. I like the imagination of making duel sets of two or four machines and give it to young teenagers who live in poor circumstances, too.

i sincerely hope taking on this task brings back many happy memories for you!

All worthy ideas, I will look into them all. Much depends on number, completeness and impact on our economy, I would hate to release a dozen balloon sets just as Ares does and be known as the production disaster guy. Last count he had over 1,000 minis still boxed in cases . . . strange is as strange is . . . and while it's an obsession of collection for us, it is still business for others, as usual it seems . . . cheers!
    I think you have your work cut out mate. A bittersweet task I should say, so you have my respects for the courtesy you have thus far shown his memory.
    I like all of the ideas above, including adding my own... I'd be prepared (within reason) to pay evilbay prices for a small selection of pieces, so that the money could be put to good use elsewhere.
    Your health David.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

A formidable task, indeed, Dave! A thousand minis still in boxes...? Holy Moly!

A lot of good ideas here for your consideration. I know from personal experience what it is like to try and sell items from a deceased friend's collection to not only rid the relatives of the burden but also make some money for them, too. I look forward to following the developments of this labor of love.

All the best,
    Matt

First 22 boxes unloaded, another 10 to get tomorrow. Mrs Clipper is not thrilled, but I am . . .

Name:	20190326_181410.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	265261

Name:	20190326_181421.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	265262

Name:	20190326_181436.jpg 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	265263

Won't be much sleep tonight!

A first sorting, now I know where all the SE5's, DH2's, 28 DVII's, its kinda creepy. . .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190326_201654.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	265270

Name:	20190326_201746.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	265271

Name:	20190326_201749.jpg 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	265272

I had no idea . . . These are all new in the boxes, there are more boxes with his "used" aircraft . . .

geeze!!! i dont think ive ever seen that many in one place before!!!

Then there are the WWII and the Shapeways collection . . .

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Seems that he suffered from the [s]Jasta[/s] Luftstreitkräfte syndrom.

Holy Schmoley - that is one hell of a collection so far.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

As I said earlier, David, you have accepted one Heck of an undertaking! That is a pretty amazing collection of unopened models... Your concerns about flooding the 'market' to the detriment of other dealers/retailers is well-founded And, as you say, the 'used' and Shapeways models are yet to be revealed. 28 Fokker DVIIs! Wow!! Four balloons shown!

Good luck as you continue to delve and deliberate - I look forward to more photo coverage...

All the best,
    Matt
    Last edited by matt56; 03-27-2019 at 06:17.

This must exceed even my collection, and maybe even Tim's!!
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    This must exceed even my collection, and maybe even Tim's!!
    Maybe even mine, indeed - looks like it's getting close..................!!!!!!

Ug, what a job. And it can't help but bring interrupting memories.

You have my sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Maybe even mine, indeed - looks like it's getting close..................!!!!!!
    Don't worry Tim.
    We have you covered.

Name:	20180922_205203.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	265291

Emergency aircraft are on the way to you even as we speak.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Don't worry Tim.
    We have you covered.

Emergency aircraft are on the way to you even as we speak.

Rob.
    Phew, that's a relief!
    Actually, I just picked up 8 more from my local Parcel Office.

Don't worry Tim.
    We have you covered.

Name:	20180922_205203.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	265291
    Heh heh heh - love the reference. Brought an immense smile to my dial!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    28 Fokker DVIIs! Wow!! Four balloons shown!
    I agree with your astonishment about the Fokkers, but the four balloons are definitely needed for the "A hard task!" scenario. Actually you need eight, when you want to switch the sides and the balloons show national markings.

That is VERY close to what Mrs Clipper said . . .

im guessing her vernacular was more, uuummmmm colorful!

Now that she has her table and living room back she is much more understanding : )

I love the display at the service -- that's a really good idea!

So I have inventoried the lot. Still need to go through the Corgi planes collection . . .

Name:	20190329_100654.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	265364

Not sure if the are any collectors on this site for them, if so speak up, lots of 1/144" scale WWII things there.

Over 175 untouched Shapeways minis, 25 primed. Boxes of the original card games still wrapped in plastic, extra card packs, lots and lots of new in box minis from Wings of War through last year's Wings of Glory releases. Many very rare ones too! I hope to post a photo catalog over the weekend so our crew can see and buy some of this legacy collection. Some items have been earmarked for Lend Lease Prizes as well. Hunter had his private air force of 115 planes in foam trays and bags, some 14 trays! I spent today sorting and counting cards and bits! And I mean all day! Multiple maneuver decks A thru Z, only one card missing - that's pretty impressive!

For our WWII fans there will likely be a rush for some of his rare birds, all the originals are there from Zeros to Me109's, P-40's and He111's . . . Mrs Clipper is wanting her house back so I need to post this soon . . . : ) wow, a stack of log books? What? Pegs galore! Spoilers and clues, oh my!

Name:	20190329_100654.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	265364

Name:	20190329_094752.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	265365
    Last edited by clipper1801; 03-29-2019 at 15:44.

You are a good man for doing this. I and I'm sure many don't envy you. An extremely impressive collection.

Just the task of cataloguing it all is monumental. There should be a medal for that.

Shapeways has never been good at labeling their output. Let me know if I can help identify any WWI Shapeways planes with crew. (The ones without crew are probably from another designer.)

958 aircraft, 120 ground vehicles, 8 balloons, 3 blimps, 2 zeppelins, and a dozen Clipper scratch builts, 40 Corgie metal type bombers including 2 B-52's! 8 Matt's, 18 games new in boxes . . . Done counting and photographing for today. . .

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

..., 8 balloons, ...
    Ha! As mentioned above 8 balloons are perfectly fine.

Holy s**t. I dont' envy you the job, Clipper. The physical work is bad enough, but the emotional weight on top...

wow! i see a lot of things i wont be able to afford lol.

Phenomenal collection!

Clipper, you definitely deserve a medal for doing all this work.

I'm sure there are a few of us Shapeways painters here that will help shrink that part of the list down. I'm also sure a lot of holes in collections can be filled. Looks like a full time job for a while Dave!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I agree, Peter - Shapeways models will find a home, for sure, as will (I would imagine) the vast majority of the rest of Hunter's collection. You do have your work cut out for you, Dave!

All the best,
    Matt

That is unbelievable.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    wow! i see a lot of things i wont be able to afford lol.
    This is exactly what I want to avoid, how to get wanted minis to needing fans . . . maybe a lottery kind of thing . . . bidding is not good, maybe raffles . . . lots of work any direction it seems. Not a fan of EBay, that's why the job was given to me . . .

IMO there is no issue with flooding the market with airplanes for a product line on life support. Given the lack of releases by Ares for WGS I think flooding the market with those planes in particular would actually help to maintain and possibly grow interest rather than hurt it. Even if Ares eventually releases those obscure bombers they teased years ago, there is very little crossover in terms of content so no worries there. Full disclosure, I have full sets of all the early WGS airplanes and multiples of PTO so I am not trying to advocate for myself, rather I think more pilots should have access to what I have. Dave was a big part of my completion effort not that long ago and it rekindled my interest in WGS.

The WGF planes could support charity work and lend lease raffles for decades.

Here is a possible place to sell items. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1383...?ref=bookmarks

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Big Job Clipper & sounds like you're seeing just how big with each passing day.
    As for selling them - do it how you think it should be done. For each person you ask, you'll get a different answer.
    e.g. Lots of people don't like E Bay, some don't mind it. Some of us will never use Facebook, others prefer it.
    Good luck mate.

Quote Originally Posted by rhodie80 View Post
    Here is a possible place to sell items. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1383...?ref=bookmarks
    But not for those of us not on FB.
    Karl

. . . a load of books is now waiting for me to pick up . . . I am going to need more space if this keeps up . . . a large number if Shapeways are beckoning me to gather some room on the workbench . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Strange bones . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2018, 01:34
  2. Strange things . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 17:49
  3. Strange Inheritance
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club