Ares Games
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gimbal Mounts

Default Gimbal Mounts

These Gimbal Mounts are made from incredibly strong neodymium ring magnets and chrome plated steel ball bearings. The gimbal mount allows you to adjust the attitude or angle of the plane on the stand to simulate pitch, roll, and yaw during a game. This adds a nice dynamic appearance to the game.

Watch this quick video to see the gimbal mount in action! (Requires Quick Time player or you can play it in Windows Media Player following these instructions)

There have been some questions asked regarding the size of the mounts on both the WWI and WWII planes. Here are some photos showcasing the mounts.

1/144 scale WWI Camel

1/200 scale WWII Bf 109

Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 10-05-2013 at 07:23.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

The product page description says that you should drill a hole in the plane for the ball bearing, but also that you can keep the peg on the official WoW planes. I was a little confused by this... meaning I'm unsure if the ball also fits over the peg or if the description just meant that the hole could be drilled elsewhere on the plane (what I initially thought before seeing these images, some of which make it seem as though the ball fits over the existing peg).

So I guess my question is: Would I need to modify (drill) the official WoW planes to use these mounts? Or does the ball have a hole that fits the original peg?

Great site by the way ... and some pretty impressive products to boot. I plan on ordering a few things, but I'm still a little unsure about these particular items as I have some hesitation when it comes to drilling holes in the minis. They definitely seem to add a lot to the look and feel of the game though, and the video makes them seem pretty slick as far as handling and such.

No, the bearings do not have a hole in them to fit over the peg. I have drilled holes in my minis as pictured above. There are a couple of option for mounting the gimbals to your planes with out drilling them.

The only thing drilling does is give the bearing a better "seat". You could simply glue them onto the model with out drilling in front of or behind the peg. This will limit the amount of pitch angle you will get out of the mounts, but all other movements will be unaffected.

Another option is to mount the gimbals on the pegs and not the plane as in this photo:

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

I see. I hadn't considered modifying the pegs instead; that actually should work for me.

Thanks for the response!

i think that there are another way to mount this ,you can use a transparent plastic tube where you can fix the ball ,but i havn't find a way to fix the bearing without glue them into a peg !! if any one have some idea say me
    thank you

Why not use a larger tube to fit over a peg and glue the magnet to it?

nice idea when i receive the gimball ill try it

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

I have a question as I have encountered some problems with the grimballs...
    The magnet of the ball is so strong that it keeps riping off the metal circle from the peg when I wan to separate them...
    Also when I store together the pegs with the metal circle, the magnets attach to each others and rip off from the plastic pegs when I try to pull then apart...

I have used super glue to attached them to the pegs but it seem to be too weak, anybody has found some solutions ? Magic putty maybe ?

Desaix, I've not had any problems with superglue holding my magnets onto the pegs. I did fill the inside of the ring magnet full of superglue though. The ball part is not magnetized, so they should not be sticking to any thing once the magnet is off them.

wath is the right measure of the magnet??

The ring magnets are 1/4 (6.35mm) inch in diameter and 1/8 (3.175mm) inch thick.

i make this attemp to resolve the problem ,i take a pieces of plastic tube ,i drill it in 1 side and reduce it diameter on the other side
    in the first side i put in the plane ,on the second side i put the plastic tube in the magnet ring ,than i glued the sphere on the peg (the sphere and the glue on it are simply removable )

Thumbs up Gimbals

That's even better than my method as it reduces the leverage.
    Well done that man.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

i have an idea for you col.hajj you have to produce a 2 parts peg for mount your gimball ,you cut the original peg in 2 side ,one you fit the plane and the magnet and the second you use it to place the sphere on it and with this you can connect it to the other pegs !!
    what do you think about this??

i think that you ahve not say why you have to use your gimbal mount!!
    ITS SIMPLY ,you can yous this aide to show waht is the last card that you have used like a turn a clim or other ,and this is important for special manouver that require a specific manouver befor plaiyng that!!

Quote Originally Posted by darkeldar70 View Post
    i have an idea for you col.hajj you have to produce a 2 parts peg for mount your gimball ,you cut the original peg in 2 side ,one you fit the plane and the magnet and the second you use it to place the sphere on it and with this you can connect it to the other pegs !!
    That would require me to mold and have produced two new pegs... not sure how feasible it is from a business stand point.

i used this and are all ok but there is a prob with ww2 bomber ,its too heavy ,i think to resolve using a sphere magnet !!

Using a ring and ball magnet does not increase the holding, I've tried it. You need to really rough up or paint the ball bearing. The problem is it is slipping, not coming apart.

How do you drill the hole in the magnet? Do you use superglue to attach the ball bearing to the bottom of the plane?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Propjockey53 View Post
    How do you drill the hole in the magnet? Do you use superglue to attach the ball bearing to the bottom of the plane?
    Thanks
    The ones that the Col sells are already drilled. To drill an ordinary magnet you would need to use a hardend drill such as a stellite one. Cool the drill with fluid to stop the heat generated from de magnatizing it.
    m ost people drill an indent in the plane and superglue the ball onto it. The magnet can be fixed to the peg.
    Rob.

hi have any one try to fit directly the ring to the plane with a 2mm ring hole???

hi have any one try to fit directly the ring to the plane with a 2mm ring hole???
    I thought it was compromising the structure too much, especially on the smaller models like the Foker Tripe, and Neiuport.
    Rob.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I thought it was compromising the structure too much, especially on the smaller models like the Foker Tripe, and Neiuport.
    Rob.
    i don't think so ... ok you use a magnet ring that are like a peg ,little short ,you you connect it to the plane like a peg than you fit on the peg the ball and the game are done!!
    i ask to COL.hajj if they try it before make his solution!

I was not able to find any magnets that fit snugly to the bottom peg of the plane. One of the things I really disliked about using minis was that the plane kept coming off the pegs almost every time I moved it. By gluing the ball on to the bottom of the plane, I no longer have to worry about... ever!

I'm also not concerned with modifying my planes as these are not collector items and it is not going to lower the value if I decided to sell them in 5 years or so. If any thing, having Gimbal Mounts for them all is an added bonus.

This is how I installed my gimbals: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...eferrerid=1568
    This is a more detailed way of how I installed my gimbals: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...1848#post31848
    Last edited by BryanR; 10-22-2010 at 11:27.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

You mean like this:
    Name:  <acronym title=MvR Underside.jpg Views: 1915 Size: 46.4 KB" />
    I just sawed a standard peg in half then glued the ball to one half and the magnet to the other. I can now choose whether to use gimbals or not, and other people can use them on their aircraft even if they haven't modified them.

Question

Any idea when these will be back in stock? I am also worried about drilling my planes, so wonder if it could work to put a ring on one peg, then the ball, then a second ring on a peg pointing down and then normal peg to plane connection, so you end up with a ball in the middle of 2 pegs with a ring above and below it

would that work?

also, when are the nice altitude rings coming back in stock, do they work on any model, or do you need specific ones for each mini?

They are in stock now. Also, there are several photos in this thread that show how you can use them with out drilling your minis.

The stands with altitude rings were for every aircraft in the game, there are no plane specific stands as far as altitude is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    They are in stock now. Also, there are several photos in this thread that show how you can use them with out drilling your minis.

The stands with altitude rings were for every aircraft in the game, there are no plane specific stands as far as altitude is concerned.
    How many mounts do you get in a pack?

I did all my planes as the Col., I didnt like picking up my plane to have it come off the stand, by cutting off the peg on the plane and drilling a small divet into the plane for the ball bearing to sit into solved my issues and works great. I agree with the Col. "I'm also not concerned with modifying my planes as these are not collector items and it is not going to lower the value if I decided to sell them in 5 years or so. If any thing, having Gimbal Mounts for them all is an added bonus."

Quote Originally Posted by Brobin View Post
    How many mounts do you get in a pack?
    One pack of Gimbal Mounts give you 10 magnets and 10 bearings... enough to mount 10 planes.

They are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Got mine yesterday .

Default What kind of glue????

What glue is used to attach the ball bearing to the plane????

I use super glue, and have not had any problems.

Yup! Super glue is the thing to use but preferably the "gel"-type : it's easier and safer ( no glued fingertips )to work with and it fills up gaps.

I use "Loctite Super Glue" in a blue and grey squeeze container with some red colour on the label; it's a gel that squeezes out a fine nozzle. Very easy to "meter" out; a great cap that allows on-and-off use for months.

ALSO, I roughen the surface of the magnet and the ball bearing at the places where I intent to place the glue; I use fine sand paper just a couple of passes over the spot/area. This provides the glue with just a little more surface area to bind-to.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

One thing I`ve found is if you pack the magnets central hole with Blue-Tac after you`ve put them together (I use the BryanR method) the bearing -magnet joint is strengthened and will even support some of the smaller Skytrex models.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    One thing I`ve found is if you pack the magnets central hole with Blue-Tac after you`ve put them together (I use the BryanR method) the bearing -magnet joint is strengthened and will even support some of the smaller Skytrex models.
    Blue -Tac mixed with Super glue is supposed to go extremely hard. I haven't tried it myself.
    Rob.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Blue -Tac mixed with Super glue is supposed to go extremely hard. I haven't tried it myself.
    Rob.
    Good point, I do mean however packing with Blue-Tac AFTER the superglue has set hard.
    I only stumbled on this a few weeks after I`d got the gimbals and been using them so I`ve not experienced any problems.
    So its clearly not a good idea to use the Blue-Tac just after putting them together.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

Are these available anywhere in the UK?

You might be able to locate the parts individually over there. However, I do ship to the UK... a lot actually!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    You might be able to locate the parts individually over there. However, I do ship to the UK... a lot actually!
    That's good to know, but I'm a bit of an old fogey, so not sure how I'd go about ordering and paying. Is it a lot extra with the shipping? Perhaps you can send me a private message with an idiots guide?

I'll answer here for the benefit of others. There are three way that you can pay:

1. Your Paypal account
    2. Your Credit Card
    3. A Check or Money Order

1. If you have a Paypal account (they are free and pretty easy to setup, but take a day or so to verify), you can simply order directly off the Aerodrome Accessories website. During the checkout process you can select Paypal and it will walk you through the steps.

2. The Credit card option will still use Paypal as the interface, but you do not have to have an account with them. Again, simply use the site to order what you want and select Paypal during the checkout process. Once you are directed to Paypal, you will see a place for you to login if you have an account with them. Look just below that and you will see where you can use your credit card as a "guest". That is where you want to click. Both options 1 and 2 are completely secure.

3. Good old fashion snail mail at work here. During the checkout process just select Check/Money order and it will give you the address you need to send it to.

The shipping cost depend on how much you order. The more you order, the more it is of course, but the less of a percentage of your total order. I just did a mock up order to Notts (NG4 2RE) of 5 Flight Stands and 1 Flame/Smoke set. The shipping for that was USD$4.42, so not so bad.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I'm sure we could get a few of the UK guys to drop in to help with any UK/customs questions you might have as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruthers View Post
    That's good to know, but I'm a bit of an old fogey, so not sure how I'd go about ordering and paying. Is it a lot extra with the shipping? Perhaps you can send me a private message with an idiots guide?
    I will send you a P.M. tomorrow Geoff.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the help guys. Just placed my order. These will add so much extra immersion to the game. Can't wait to get them!

Evad 77

Hello all. I got my Gimbal mounts the other day in the mail and set about to mount my planes as per the instructions I've seen here. I chose to mount the ball bearing right on the bottom of the planes, but this turned out to be such an easy procedure. Removing the pin from the bottom of the plane was a real chore, I tried to use an X-acto blade, but wow! That pin is tough!! Is it made of metal? I resorted to using a pair of needle nose pliers and twisting the pin around and around until it finally disintegrated enough to make the drilling and mounting possible. This method left just a small lump of the pin left on the plane, so the ball bearing is mounted just a hair back from what I would presume is the center of gravity. No problem for a Alb DVa....

How do others cut the pin from the planes?

Do the Gimbal mounts work with larger aircraft like the Breguet BR.14 B2 or the De Havilland DH 4?

thanks for your comments,

Dave

David, the D.Va and the Roland have metal bodies and so removing the pin and drilling the holes on them are a bit of a pain. The other planes will go much easier as they are plastic. The gimbal mounts will work just fine on the DH 4, for the BR.14, you might have to rough up the bearing a little bit. It depends on how close to the center of gravity you get it. Even if it is off a little bit, it will still hold the plane in shallow banks/climbs and dives, just not steep ones.

Evad 77

Thanks for the heads up Keith! I mounted a Se5a and a BR. 14, and yes, they were much easier to do. So easy as a matter of fact that I went out and bought 4 more planes to give me a total of 10. 10 mounts, 10 planes. Works for me!

Dave

OH, quick question: Is it "bad" to leave the planes stored attached to their stands? Does it demagnatize anything or harm the mounts in any way?

thanks again.
    Last edited by Evad 77; 07-22-2011 at 15:12.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast