Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you plan to play Sails of Glory?

Voters
461. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea Yea Captian! (Yes)

249 54.01%
  • Maybe, ships are kind of cool. (Maybe)

132 28.63%
  • That's mutiny I say! (No)

80 17.35%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sails of Glory, do you plan on playing?

I will support Sails of Glory as long as Ares continues to faithfully support Wings of Glory. Besides... cannon fire and broadsides do have their appeal...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post

I think they'd do better with the courses (the lower sails) furled. I think this gives a better visual representation of a ship at "battle sail" or "easy sail"
    Looks good!

The use of wind is a great touch! This could be a real nice game.

The only problem may be trying to keep track of 10-12 similar looking ships at once!

God help us all if we tried a 30 ship game.

Which ones mine....

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    The use of wind is a great touch! This could be a real nice game.

The only problem may be trying to keep track of 10-12 similar looking ships at once!

God help us all if we tried a 30 ship game.

Which ones mine....
    Trafalgar had a total of 60 ships of the line and 13 other ships.

You can't consider yourself a real Age of Sail gamer until you have gamed Trafalgar.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Trafalgar had a total of 60 ships of the line and 13 other ships.

You can't consider yourself a real Age of Sail gamer until you have gamed Trafalgar.
    Are we already looking at the title for "most gamers in a Sails of War action?"
    We haven't even got the ships yet.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I've played Trafalgar many times with various sets of rules, its a fun one to do, and very bloody for the RN if you don't have rules for crew quality. Generally with 1-3 players each side. I think the largest number of players I've encountered in an AoS game was in the region of 50, playing "Close Action" with Mark campbell out at Greenbelt north of Washington DC. It was interesting to note that the most successful players were those who followed historical tactics and maintained the line of battle until the enemy were disordered, whereas those who tried to initiate a nelsonian "pell mell battle" from the outset usually ended up in dire straits very quickly. Hopefully SOG-N will give the same results

Kyte,

I'm sure people have thought about that, but I KNOW there are a lot of guys out there dreaming about how long it will take them to "Collect them all!"

James

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I've played Trafalgar many times with various sets of rules, its a fun one to do, and very bloody for the RN if you don't have rules for crew quality. Generally with 1-3 players each side. I think the largest number of players I've encountered in an AoS game was in the region of 50, playing "Close Action" with Mark campbell out at Greenbelt north of Washington DC. It was interesting to note that the most successful players were those who followed historical tactics and maintained the line of battle until the enemy were disordered, whereas those who tried to initiate a nelsonian "pell mell battle" from the outset usually ended up in dire straits very quickly. Hopefully SOG-N will give the same results
    "Nelson was also well aware that French and Spanish gunners were ill-trained, would probably be supplemented with soldiers, and would have difficulty firing accurately from a moving gun platform. The Combined Fleet was sailing across a heavy swell, causing the ships to roll heavily and exacerbating these problems. Nelson's plan was indeed a gamble, but a carefully calculated one."
    "Admiral Villeneuve himself expressed his belief that Nelson would use some sort of unorthodox attack, stating specifically that he believed he would drive right at his lines. But his long game of cat and mouse with Nelson had worn him down, and he was suffering from a loss of nerve. Arguing that the inexperience of his officers meant he would not be able to maintain formation in more than one group, he chose not to act on his accurate assessment of Nelson's intentions."
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...elson.27s_plan
    If the SOG rules are a good simulation, it should be possible to win Trafalgar using Nelson's tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Are we already looking at the title for "most gamers in a Sails of War action?"
    We haven't even got the ships yet.
    Rob.
    Some of us have usable ships, we just need the cards and rules.
    I have a few GHQ Napoleonic Micronauts in 1/1200 scale, also have some of the Pirates of the Spanish Main ships, also have some ships from the MB game, Broadside.
    Jr. General has some 2D cutout paper ships which are usable.
    See: http://www.juniorgeneral.org/naval/trafalgar.html
    A game with such a mix of ships might look a little strange but would be enjoyable to play.

"Nelson was also well aware that French and Spanish gunners were ill-trained, would probably be supplemented with soldiers, and would have difficulty firing accurately from a moving gun platform. The Combined Fleet was sailing across a heavy swell, causing the ships to roll heavily and exacerbating these problems. Nelson's plan was indeed a gamble, but a carefully calculated one."
    As was demonstrated when someone else tried it against a reasonably-competent foe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lissa_%281811%29

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    As was demonstrated when someone else tried it against a reasonably-competent foe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lissa_%281811%29
    Again it appears that the British officers and men had training superior to their opponents.

When all else fails, we can always make our own ships.

Here is a description of a "Pirates of the Spanish Main" ship which was scanned then modified with the Paint program:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/7190...-pirates-ships

If you want decent "pirate" type ships that stand up well to the rigours of wargaming I'd suggest the Peter Pig "Pieces of eight range.

This link shows how to paint the HMS Victory by GHQ:
    http://wpggamegeeks.blogspot.com/201...y-victory.html

He also shows Trafalgar recreated with GHQ Micronauts.
    The total collection must have cost at least $800.

Capt'n Greywolf shows how to make fantasy sailing ships out of paper and foam board.

See: http://greywolf.critter.net/savagewo...paperships.htm

He claims that he will add more ships in the future.

Very useful tips Kenneth, for those of us who may well be going to personalize our models.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

This link shows how to paint the HMS Victory by GHQ:
    http://wpggamegeeks.blogspot.com/201...y-victory.html

He also shows Trafalgar recreated with GHQ Micronauts.
    The total collection must have cost at least $800.
    I'm so glad that the ships will be already painted.
    Right now I have more fun flying the planes than repainting them. I guess playing with you guys and being above and in the battle field.

Tom

Paper English Caravel from the 15th century with variants:
    http://www.howardshirleywriter.com/caravel/caravels.htm

Hey, two things... One, I'm a "founding member" of SOG....yeah baby. Am I the first???? Second, I can't create a thread here on the forum??? I can only reply??? Did something change???? Let me know.

Thanks
    Mitch

Well saw the pics of 2 of the ships they will have. Looks good to me. Mentioned that I saw in the opening a request of donations to start the new site Sails of Glory. Had to donate since it should be as good as this one.

As ex-RN I think this just might be a must have :-)

I just saw this post and immediately called out to my son, Hunter, to see if had any interest. Other than Pirates, we've never played and ship/sailing games. I'll probably take a good hard look at it when it comes out and then make a decision on wether to buy. Might depend a lot on how the minis look.

Scott, you can't tell me that Hunter would not love blowing holes in your ships with those big canons!!

Are there any pics as yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Scott, you can't tell me that Hunter would not love blowing holes in your ships with those big canons!!
    You're probably right Keith!! LOL! I have a feeling that the game will join our collection soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    I'll buy the initial starter to see what it's like.. I used to love the old Avalon Hill, Wooden Ships and Iron Men.. so this kinda gets me excited
    That was a fantastic game, so was Richthofen's War.
    Last edited by Dimetri1; 11-12-2011 at 20:24.

So the H.M.S. Bellona is a british standart 76 cannon ship of the line.

Wonder what frech an spanisch ships comes first?

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    So the H.M.S. Bellona is a british standart 76 cannon ship of the line.

Wonder what frech an spanisch ships comes first?
    Yes, the HMS Bellona was a common type 51 meter, 74 gun ship of the line.

Possibly. Maybe some Ironclads might appear in the future?!

Maybe, but don't hold your breath. Andrea has said if the project goes anywhere it will be earlier periods rather than later. If you want some suggestions for decent ironclad rules give me a shout. It is one of my favourite periods

When all else fails, we can always make our own ships.

Here is a description of a "Pirates of the Spanish Main" ship which was scanned then modified with the Paint program:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/7190...-pirates-ships
    We just played that during our last game night. It was a big hit with the folks at the table who had never played.

Must look out my set of those. I have about thirty knocking about in an old ice cream tub somewhere. I had forgotten all about them.
    Rob.

I remember those. I had quite a few of them for a simple game. I wonder where they are now?

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
    I remember those. I had quite a few of them for a simple game. I wonder where they are now?
    Do you recall the Battle of the Nile Chris? Your's wasn't a French Fleet by any chance?
    Rob.

Evad 77

I have 2 boxes of Spanish Main boosters in the basement.....was planning on using them with the Trafalgar rules but I kinda put that on hold......

Quote Originally Posted by Evad 77 View Post
    I have 2 boxes of Spanish Main boosters in the basement.....was planning on using them with the Trafalgar rules but I kinda put that on hold......
    I have a ton of them in the attic. Might have to get them out soon.

Tom

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    I have a ton of them in the attic. Might have to get them out soon.

Tom
    I do too.

I am a little concerned that if the original game does not sell well, we may not get the booster packs that would make using the Pirates ships a viable option.

Well, there is got going to be any booster packs anyways. This is going to be a mini only game.

Do you recall the Battle of the Nile Chris? Your's wasn't a French Fleet by any chance?
    Rob.
    Har de har!!!! Or should I say Ar de ar jim lad lol

Har de har!!!! Or should I say Ar de ar jim lad lol
    Right Chris. Stop messing about and get over there to sign as my First mate, and don't forget to tell the Master I sent you. I'll be back aboard with the Press Gang shortly.
    Bligh.

Right Chris. Stop messing about and get over there to sign as my First mate, and don't forget to tell the Master I sent you. I'll be back aboard with the Press Gang shortly.
    Bligh.
    Get over where? I can't find it lol

frpat

Aye, aye, Cap'n! - Can't wait!

Har ar!!! Now found my way on, and signed up as Cap't Trigger. Aaaaarrrrr!!!!!!

Har ar!!! Now found my way on, and signed up as Cap't Trigger. Aaaaarrrrr!!!!!!
    Bout time you old lubber. Now get back to flying your Tripehound.
    Kyte.

Has anyone heard any other news on this?

As I've always loved the age of sail...

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast