Ares Games

Thread: How to make and paint up smoke and flames

Default How to make and paint up smoke and flames

Playing WoG has been great. Then at a convention I saw someone using the Litko smoke and flame markers, that was cool. I didn't buy any though as I thought it could look better. I recently made some smoke and flames and thought I'd pass along how I did it.

First of all, you will need pipe cleaners, (I chose black) cotton balls, white glue, craft paint, (black, orange, red and yellow) and a paint brush. (maybe a dull knife to scrape the glued cotton from your fingers!) You'll need something to cut the pipe cleaners. Scissors worked for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	120398

First, cut the pipe cleaner to the length you like. I go for 3" to 4" lengths. I bend the end about a half an inch worth, this is to grab hold of the wing. The bend hangs downwards and can be re-bent to snug up the smoke/fire to the plane wing.

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	120399

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	120400

Next peel off a part of a cotton ball to be just longer than the pipe cleaner.

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	120401

Put white glue along the top and sides of the pipe cleaner. How much? Not too much but don't be skimpy with it, its cheap!

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	120402

Here is where it gets messy! Lay the cotton on top of the pipe cleaner. While holding the bent end of the pipe cleaner, gently squeeze the cotton to the pipe cleaner so that it gets into the glue. Your fingers will get sticky and get fuzzy with cotton. It comes off easy enough so your family won't send you off to St. Clabberts to recover with Father Jack. (Father Ted anyone?)

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	120403

I did 8 at a time. I let this dry over night. Next night I painted patches of orange on the flame markers. Then I add some smaller patches of red. For smoke just use black.

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	120390

Next I paint up the rest in black. It doesn't have to cover everything, a little white showing here and there I think looks better. I'll dry brush some black over most of the orange to dull it a little.

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	120392

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	120393

Next I add in a little yellow and maybe touch up the orange if I think its too dark. I make some brighter, some darker.

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	120394

And after letting them dry a couple hours you're done. I haven't used anything to seal it but may try some dull clear spray if I find the paint flaking off.

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	120395

For my balloons I used a full 12" pipe cleaner. I twisted it so it looked like a wishbone with 3" legs. Same process with adding cotton except that it covers the whole pipe cleaner. This one is a bit messier as you have no extra bend to hold while gluing on the cotton and painting.

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	120396

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	120397

I think this method should work for any plane, balloon, Zepplin, ship...whatever you want burning.
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 01-17-2014 at 06:06.

Thankyou Peter for this interesting " How to " make your own flame & smoke markers, I've got lots of pipe cleaners that I use already for smoke & fire, and the wife's got a bag of cotton wool balls which I could swipe or it might be safer to buy my own as I don't want an angry , and I like the way that you made your balloon marker as well so I when I get my balloon from LudikBazar I can then get busy making some flame & smoke markers

Good "How to" Peter.
    It is interesting to get everyone's takes on smoke and fire markers.
    You should ask the Oberst to put this into the official "How to" Forum.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Moved thread to the Hobby Room - very nice work Peter.

Excellent How To.
    Good photos, well explained and easy to follow.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    Thankyou Peter for this interesting " How to " make your own flame & smoke markers, I've got lots of pipe cleaners that I use already for smoke & fire, and the wife's got a bag of cotton wool balls which I could swipe or it might be safer to buy my own as I don't want an angry , and I like the way that you made your balloon marker as well so I when I get my balloon from LudikBazar I can then get busy making some flame & smoke markers
    You probably can sneak a couple of cotton balls from the lucky lady as each will make at least 3 markers, depending on how large you make them. Of course the balloon marker takes a few of its own.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-16-2014 at 06:06.

Another thought... if you already have the Litko type markers, you could just add the cotton to them.

This is great - thanks Peter! Having two young'uns around the house, there are plenty of pipe cleaners and craft supplies, so I'll be trying my hand on this shortly. Having seen these in action at the recent game-a-thon in Schenectady, I can attest that they really looked great and added a lot to the overall game. Especially when the incendiary bullets lit up that balloon - looked awesome!

Yesterday I sent you and fast.git 4 each of the smoke and flames. These are the ones used Saturday, veteran flames! Not sure how many you'll want to have. I think I made 12 each and we never had more than 4 of each kind on the table. I'll make some more to experiment on what can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Yesterday I sent you and fast.git 4 each of the smoke and flames. These are the ones used Saturday, veteran flames!
    Outstanding!

Thumbs up

Excellent "How To" Peter & they do look excellent.

Great idea, especially like the flame marker for the balloon. I'll be adapting that one and making a few for the zeppelin.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great "how to" - I've got some basic pipe-cleaner flame & smoke markers, and now I know how to complete them!

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Great "how to" - I've got some basic pipe-cleaner flame & smoke markers, and now I know how to complete them!
    ditto!

Nice work Peter.....great How to thread.

Tartan Baron

Looks like I'll be planning a trip to the local craft shop for supplies, excellent guide. I'll put some pictures up if they turn out alright

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Baron View Post
    Looks like I'll be planning a trip to the local craft shop for supplies, excellent guide. I'll put some pictures up if they turn out alright
    Looking forward to see how your's come out Kris. I have a new flames 2.0 I'm working on. Once I am happy I will post a new how-to.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Looking forward to see how your's come out Kris. I have a new flames 2.0 I'm working on. Once I am happy I will post a new how-to.
    Excellent news! Version 1.0 looks great as is...

Similar Missions

1. WGF Hardest Builds & paint - Easyest Build & paint.
    By Fabric Flyer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 00:07
  2. WSF Fokker before the Flames!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 16:42
  3. Flames on the Snow!
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 17:00
  4. Aerodrome smoke and flames!