Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Origins Press Release

Default Origins Press Release

May 11, 2011

Contact Information: Ken Head, Tel: 614-359-5512, E-mail: cowman2697@gmail.com

OHIO CLUB SEEKS TO SET WORLD BOARD GAME RECORD AT ORIGINS 2011

Gaming Group Plans Massive Tabletop WWI Dogfight with Popular "Wings of War" Miniatures Game

COLUMBUS, OHIO (May 11, 2011): An intrepid group of Ohio board game enthusiasts seeks to set a unique world record Saturday, June 25 at the Origins Games Fair in Columbus, Ohio — the largest number of players for a single board game, recreating a spectacular World War I aerial battle on the tabletop with more than 100 participants expected.

The Buckeye Gamers in Flight
    —a historical aviation gaming club—will be staging the epic air combat in miniature using the popular "Wings of War" board game, a fast-paced, easy-to-learn game that recreates the daring duels in the skies of World War I with beautifully painted, historically accurate aircraft miniatures fully painted and ready to play out of the box. Using a simple card-based maneuver system, players will try to outguess and out fly their opponents as they try to guess each other's moves and line up the shots that will make them the "Ace of Aces!"

The Game is open to up to 140 players who will all participate at the same time, playing to defeat each other in mock aerial combat until only one pilot remains! All interested participants ages 10 to adult are welcome, and no experience is needed — the game is simple to learn and rules will be taught to new players prior to the start of the event. Prizes will be awarded to the top players by the Wings of War Aerodrome. For additional information, visit the Wings of War Aerodrome site at http://www.wingsofwar.org or contact Ken Head at cowman2697@gmail.com.

Members of the Buckeye Gamers in Flight will be running a total of 26 separate events at the Origins Games Fair which runs from June 22nd to June 26th at the Columbus Convention Center in Columbus, Ohio. Information on the Origins Games Fair can be found at http://www.originsgamefair.com . A List of the BGIF events can be found at Buckeye Gamers in Flight - Origins 2011 Wings of War Event List on Google.

We sincerely hope to see many of you there. Please join us for an awesome time and help us set a new record!

The stage is set. Let the record fall. Ken your the man.

Tom

Just wanted to say thanks to Wolfbiter for writing the press release for us! He wanted me to pass on that he has been away for the last four months due to illness, but hopes to return soon!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

It looks like I'll get to do Saturday at Origins ! ::crosses fingers::

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Here's to wishing you 'Buckeyes' a fun and successful event at your 'Origins 2011'. Good luck with the planning and gaming aspects. Now BREAK THAT RECORD!!! I like to be there as it sure sounds fun.

w00t!

*does happy Snoopy dance*

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    It looks like I'll get to do Saturday at Origins ! ::crosses fingers::
    Sweet!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Wish I could make it, sounds like alot of fun.

Really sorry that I won't be at this one myself. It sounds like the games days of the century.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That just happens to be the day I plan on being there with Skullduggery, I might be able to sit in depending on the time.

Hope to see you there Matt. In fact I am hoping to see a lot of the Ohio members... and members from the surrounding states and of course Canada! There is even that fellow from Colorado that I look forward to having a beer with! Have not heard much from the Dayton guys in a bit... I think they are all hiding!

You guys should take a second to check out the Event Page I put up for the Record Event on the Origin's Games Fair Facebook Page. Notice the number of folks "attending" and "maybe attending".... this is after only 2 days... with 1700 invitees still having not responded... I am getting really stoked about this!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by Etairos View Post
    That just happens to be the day I plan on being there with Skullduggery, I might be able to sit in depending on the time.
    It looks like a one day pass is $35 Matt. This lets you participate in events. I don't know the cost of a weekend badge with the club discount is though. The other option is the $5 dealer room thing where you do not get to play registered events.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    It looks like a one day pass is $35 Matt. This lets you participate in events. I don't know the cost of a weekend badge with the club discount is though. The other option is the $5 dealer room thing where you do not get to play registered events.
    I was kind of hoping they would allow me to run the world record event and have it open to visitors... as a draw... but that is asking them to give up $560 in potential event fees for a single 4 hour event... so no surprises that they did not. (And I am thinking it has a good chance of filling up even without that now!)

Well the downer is that the club badge is only for the 4 day badge, and is $35... so if you are only coming for one day then it is not going to help ya... The $5 dealer room thing is the way to go for sure if you are not planning on playing in any ticketed events. (You can still play in demos and open gaming)

Keep in mind that I have a 24 person tournament scheduled at 5 PM on Saturday as well... and Keith has a Zeppelin event going Friday and Saturday...I will get the details on the tourney up tomorrow sometime after my phys therapy appointment... gotta get some sleep for now... or try!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I love how the word is spreading! http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=3829
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Yes it is! I had an email from Richard Bliss, the guy that set the current record, today. He was excited about it and is checking his schedule to see if he can make it.

Would love to be part of the game, but I wish you all the best of luck and hope you get the numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I love how the word is spreading! http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=3829
    I bet Nexus might even give us each a new plane or something if we pull this off. Or maybe send our group to Europe to do a multicultural aerial combat. Who Knows we might be famous.

Tom

I'm going to see today if I can post this release at my local game store today to help generate some interest for those who may already be attending.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    I bet Nexus might even give us each a new plane or something if we pull this off. Or maybe send our group to Europe to do a multicultural aerial combat. Who Knows we might be famous.

Tom
    I am not sure Nexus has any planes to give out right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Yes it is! I had an email from Richard Bliss, the guy that set the current record, today. He was excited about it and is checking his schedule to see if he can make it.
    That would be SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Etairos View Post
    I'm going to see today if I can post this release at my local game store today to help generate some interest for those who may already be attending.
    Thanks Matt! That would be awesome!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Do we have a flier that we can put up locally? That will be the same as the one we have at Origins.

Tom

Working on the flyers for you guys.

Keith is the Man!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Looks like I'll be riding down there Saturday with Skullduggery (Thanks again, Brian). Can't wait to meet you folks!

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Looks like I'll be riding down there Saturday with Skullduggery (Thanks again, Brian). Can't wait to meet you folks!
    That is good news. Looking forward to seeing you both.

Tom

The Flyer can be downloaded here! Thanks to Alan for the layout!

The Flyer can be downloaded here! Thanks to Alan for the layout!
    Looks awesome! I am going to have to come up with one that we can use inside the Con with a list of our events on the bottom, and enlarged as a Tabletop sign for our three tables... Also gonna look into business cards... anyone have a suggestion for a good deal ??
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken, write up the signs you need and I'll get Alan to lay them out for us. I just want to give him text that he can cut and paste... I try to lessen his work load as much as possible. It's the least I can do since I have him working on about 20 projects. lol

Ken, write up the signs you need and I'll get Alan to lay them out for us. I just want to give him text that he can cut and paste... I try to lessen his work load as much as possible. It's the least I can do since I have him working on about 20 projects. lol
    Will do! Tonight Alan gets to be the man! LOL
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

good luck with this chaps - hope you nail it !

"He is wise who watches"

Just an update: Most of our events are slowly filling up, and from the response we are getting on Facebook, I predict that the World Record attempt will come close to selling out!

I should have that flyer text by tomorrow night Keith.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Already got my ticket for the WR on Saturday - and a bucket of tokens for the rest of the convention!

Great news Ken. I knew you would pull off another coup.
    Rob.

I'm so excited and can't wait. Look what came today.

Three Val's one Hurricane and now the other Balloon set.
    My wife said is this your blood money:eek2: and I said yep

Tom

Nice! I can't wait to shoot it all down.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Nice! I can't wait to shoot it all down.
    You got me last week but next time I'll have your number buddy.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great news Ken. I knew you would pull off another coup.
    Rob.
    Uh Oh.... I am having a hard time remembering what my first coup was... gonna have to lay off the meds for a while I guess...

I'm so excited and can't wait. Look what came today.

Three Val's one Hurricane and now the other Balloon set.
    My wife said is this your blood money:eek2: and I said yep

Tom
    Three Vals, one Hurricane, one Balloon Set, and what appears to be one of your dirty socks on the floor... please do not bring the latter to Origins with you Tom.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Crud... now I am going to have nightmares tonight...

Ken you didn't even mention my hairy knee. I'm hurt...
    (I thought it was the arm of a really old and furry sofa...)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Crud... now I am going to have nightmares tonight...

(I thought it was the arm of a really old and furry sofa...)
    You kill me...and that sock is only partly dirty...

You kill me...and that sock is only partly dirty...
    Egads man!!! I can smell it all the way down here in Baltimore....

No... Wait... That is the paper mill... never mind, sorry!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Egads man!!! I can smell it all the way down here in Baltimore....

No... Wait... That is the paper mill... never mind, sorry!
    My wife just saw the photo:eek2: and is laughing her a%$# off. I'll get you Ken

My wife just saw the photo:eek2: and is laughing her a%$# off. I'll get you Ken
    Is she laughing because of the furry sofa arm, or the fact that your socks smell like the sulfury exhaust from a paper mill?

(I think this last part of the thread needs to get split off in to the Officer's Club Forum... LOL, we are taking away from our very important World Record subject! I blame it all on you Tom... you and your hairy knees and dirty laundry!!!)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

i'm not laughing. I had two parcels delivered yesterday while I was out, so they took them away again to the mail depot, despite my standing instructions to leave them with any of my neighbours on the close where I live.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    i'm not laughing. I had two parcels delivered yesterday while I was out, so they took them away again to the mail depot, despite my standing instructions to leave them with any of my neighbours on the close where I live.
    Rob.
    Grrrrrrr. I hate it when they do that! Especially when the little note they stick on your door gets blown away and three weks later you go looking for your package only to find out it was at the post office the whole time!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Grrrrrrr. I hate it when they do that! Especially when the little note they stick on your door gets blown away and three weks later you go looking for your package only to find out it was at the post office the whole time!!!
    Or don't leave a note at all. This has happened to me a few times Ken.
    I'm off to the sorting office in a few minutes time to get my little planes back,
    Rob.

I had this same thing happen to some little planes of mine this week!

I only have this problem with Fed-ex, the post office and UPS just leave them on the porch. But it's a small town and we know the mailman and the UPS driver so they don't mind bending the rules.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast