Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Georges Guynemer Spad Repaint Project

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I do Drybrush on highlights... that is the next step!
    Sorry! Will try not to get over excited and brush ahead again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post

I probably will not do a bunch of Highlighting on this mini, since it is such a light color to start with, but I will hit the ribs, and some of the parts up front for sure..
    Last edited by The Cowman; 01-25-2011 at 09:18.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

If you make any more puns like that Dave, you will probably get the brush off. I know I did.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    If you make any more puns like that Dave, you will probably get the brush off. I know I did.
    Rob.
    This must be some of that famous English dry brush humor.

Rob.
    haha, if anybody was going to Highlight that it was you Rob :P

Rob.
    haha, if anybody was going to Highlight that it was you Rob :P
    Ughhhhh! LOL!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Rob.
    ...and anyway you didn't spot by pun in the saturday shootout thread so there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    You have me foxed with that one old bean.
    Rob.

...and anyway you didn't spot by pun in the saturday shootout thread so there!!!
    Did you mean the small Kaliber joke? If so I passed it by with a smile on my face. it was almost bad enough to be one of mine.
    Rob.

Did you mean the small Kaliber joke? If so I passed it by with a smile on my face. it was almost bad enough to be one of mine.
    Rob.
    Damn you Red Baron, foiled again!!!

Lets hope the americans missed it /whistles

You have me foxed with that one old bean.
    Rob.
    Sorry - just a play on the expression "dry humor." (i know - if you have to explain it, it ain't funny.)

Sorry - just a play on the expression "dry humor." (i know - if you have to explain it, it ain't funny.)
    "You had me Foxed". There is a sting in the tail of that remark Larry.
    Rob.

"You had me Foxed". There is a sting in the tail of that remark Larry.
    Rob.
    Please explain = I'm not familiar with the term "Foxed."

Here is what I found in the Osprey books:

SPAD VII

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPADVII_S115a.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	8528

Name:	SPADVII_S115b.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	8529

SPAD XIII

Name:	SPADXIII_S504b.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	8530

Name:	SPADXIII_S504a.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	8531

It was a quick search, but I did not find any with the mirrored 2 on the top wing.

Please explain = I'm not familiar with the term "Foxed."
    It was a double joke Larry. The foxed means as you so correctly guessed "Fooled" but a foxe's tail is of course a brush. I'll get my coat.
    Rob.

It was a double joke Larry. The foxed means as you so correctly guessed "Fooled" but a foxe's tail is of course a brush. I'll get my coat.
    Rob.
    Thanks - now I get it. And that was funny, even though it had to be explained to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Here is what I found in the Osprey books:

SPAD VII

Name:	SPADVII_S115a.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	8528

Name:	SPADVII_S115b.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	8529

SPAD XIII

Name:	SPADXIII_S504b.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	8530

Name:	SPADXIII_S504a.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	8531

It was a quick search, but I did not find any with the mirrored 2 on the top wing.
    Oh Sure Keith... just make it more confusing for me now...LOL I am pretty sure Tom has his heart set on those mirrored "2"s... just like the scheme they show in this video:

It seems like there are a half dozen versions out there of what his Spad VII looked like...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Well there should be at least four, cos he had four SPAD VIIs.... The artwork Keith's posted is Guynemer's first SPAD - serial S113 or S115, which was written off after a run-in with "friendly" AA fire, lasting less than 4 weeks....

His other VIIs were S132 and S254 (this is the one in Paris, with the mirrored 2 on the wings) and S413, after that he moved on to the SPAD XII and XIII. The scheme you want is definitely S254, which is hanging in Le Bourget; Google image search will get you plenty of photos - just stick in Guynemer Le Bourget as your search term.
    Last edited by Dom S; 01-25-2011 at 17:18.

Step 9: Dry Brush on Highlights
    Step 10: Create Decals

I finally got through most of the Origins "stuff", and got over a bad spell of a few "feeling crappy" days, to find some time to get back to this project!

After dry brushing on some subtle highlights on the ribbing, guns and exhaust pipes, I was ready to come up with decals for the project. First, if you are not familiar with the technique of dry brushing it is pretty simple.
    • Choose a paint color that is slightly lighter than the current color of the area where you applying the detail brushing.
    • Apply a small amount of paint to a dry brush, and then, using a paper towel or a coffer filter, wipe most of the paint off of the brush. If you then lightly run the brush over the side of your thumb on your off hand you should see very little pigment come off the brush. This is how you can tell that you have the right amount of paint on the brush to "dry brush".
    • You then very lightly brush the color across the raised area of the model you are highlighting. This gives the appearance of either light falling on the mini, or wear and tear to the paint surface. it all depends on the amount of paint you apply and the colors you choose. Keep in mind that on a mini as small as 1/144th scale this is usually going to be a very subtle effect.
    After researching on-line and speaking with Dom and a few other members here in the 'Drome, I came to the conclusion that it would be best to make my own decals for this mini. The images needed are hard to come by in a 1/144th decal and the Roundels need to be the 1:3:5 proportion and are also difficult to find. IN the end it was cheaper just to create my own decal sheet.

I used Macromedia Fireworks (You could use Photoshop to do the same or better) to create the different decals in high resolution, using various public images from the internet as my templates. I took measurements on the mini to determine the sizes of the decals needed

I then transfered all of the images to an MS word document, Cut a piece of 4x6 clear decal paper, and used my photo printer to print the sheet. I put lots of extra decals on the sheet and a few in slightly different size variations to give me some room for error. I have attached the Word document for anyone who might want it. (I will upload it to the file section as well.) I figure once I am done I may pass on the leftover decals to anyone on the forums that might want to use them.

I have clear-coated the decal sheet with Krylon Matte Clear to keep the decals from being ruined by the water when I apply them. You MUST do this if you are using an ink-jet printer to create decals.

Next Step: Apply the decals, touch up any needed areas, and clear-coat the mini.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by The Cowman; 02-11-2011 at 11:13.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Note: I was unable to upload the decal sheet to the file section. Even as a .zip file it is .1 MB too large for the 10 MB file size limit. Apparently the limit is a bit higher for attachments of the .doc persuasion... So if you want them, you have to get them from the attachment above!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken, those French roundels are on the way to you. Try one out on a scrap piece to see if they would work@

Lookin' good, Ken! I found an illustration that agrees with the red stork / mirrored 2's on Guynemer's Spad XIII

Name:	Spad XIII Guynemer.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	9111

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse47 View Post
    Ken, those French roundels are on the way to you. Try one out on a scrap piece to see if they would work
    Kevin thanks for sending them... unfortunately they are not the 1:3:5 proportioned roundels that were used on Spads... so I will have to try them on a different model... I did notice that they look a little grainy... like they were printed at a very low resolution... but perhaps that will not show when they are applied. Let me know if you would like a sheet of these decals as a return favor!

Lookin' good, Ken! I found an illustration that agrees with the red stork / mirrored 2's on Guynemer's Spad XIII

Name:	Spad XIII Guynemer.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	9111
    Thx Larry... and if you notice, that version has the tail number that belonged to his Spad VII... Tom's plane will have that exact scheme... but with S504 on the tail... which was the number from his Spad XIII...

I plan to get the decals on tomorrow if my back is up to sitting that long...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken,

Lookin' good! Gotta see this one finished...rest your back and then crank it up...think you've got a 'con Sunday nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Ken,

Lookin' good! Gotta see this one finished...rest your back and then crank it up...think you've got a 'con Sunday nearby?
    I am running an event at my local game store on Sunday: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?3654-3-Day-Warning-Game-Day-Pickerington-Ohio&highlight=warning

Bit of a drive for you but feel free to join us!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Good luck on the painting! No need to send the others, I am going to be trying some others shortly.

Update: I was able to get 7 of the 16 decals on the mini today. That was all that my back could handle... hope to have it finished Monday!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Update: I was able to get 7 of the 16 decals on the mini today. That was all that my back could handle... hope to have it finished Monday!
    Keep plugging Ken...good luck tomorrow...get a Hun or two for the Buckeye state! I'll pm you tomorrow...no rush for a reply...

Just downloaded the decals Ken. Thanks for that.
    Now I just need yet another Spad to put them onto. Pity we can't just download them from the suppliers too.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The way 3D printers are coming along, give it a few years....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    The way 3D printers are coming along, give it a few years....
    Right! ...holographic printers...in full color! I'll be gone by then...but it's a nice dream...

I see your 'war-wound' in the last pic there Ken... I remember when I was a lad making 1/72nd scale models. I made so many cutting off the sprues with a scalpel my father gave me and slashed the tips of my fingers so many times that by the time I was in my late teens, I could cut almost 2mm into my fingertips and not get blood!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I see your 'war-wound' in the last pic there Ken... I remember when I was a lad making 1/72nd scale models. I made so many cutting off the sprues with a scalpel my father gave me and slashed the tips of my fingers so many times that by the time I was in my late teens, I could cut almost 2mm into my fingertips and not get blood!

I am actually utterly amazed at how well that injury has healed... I thought for sure I would lose most of one side of the tip of my thumb... but Superglue is AMAZING stuff... and you can hardly tell I had an accident now. I have a loss of sensation for now but am hoping the nerves eventually reform as well.
    Last edited by The Cowman; 02-20-2011 at 23:45.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Update: Have all but four of the decals on now... it has been a slow process, as I have been rather methodical and neat with the application, and the back is bothering me , thus long breaks in between are required. The project is close to completion.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Step 11: Apply Decals with Microset and Microsol
    Step 12: Touch up Mini and Clear-coat, then Matte-coat

Applying the 16 decals was a long process, made longer by back pain and the very long breaks I was required to take in between decal work. In order to apply the Roundels and the tail flags, I had to first base-coat the area with white, as the decals were on clear paper. This allows the clear areas to show as white. I applied each decal with Microset, and once the decal had dried, I used multiple applications of Microsol to "melt" the decal into the paint and details of the mini. The tail number decals were the most difficult to apply, and did not show well due to the dark blue of the tail flag. The next time I make French decals I will be using a slightly lighter shade of blue.

After all the decals had dried thoroughly, I touched up a few small spots on the mini. I then applied a couple of good coats of gloss clear-coat, allowing each to dry... and then followed with a final coat of Testors Flat Coat.

Here is the finished product. In hindsight, I would choose to use a slightly lighter colored was on such a light base color next time, as this mini came looking a teeny bit to weathered. In the end I think it turned out pretty nicely!

And thus ends the Spad Repaint Project... time to go build a rooftop and then get to work finishing my Reviresco Camel Build...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I also created a card for Tom as well, since the WoW Guynemer Card has clipped wingtips, unlike this mini.

Name:	CappyTom_Spad_XIII_Card.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	9597 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CappyTom_Spad_XIII_Card_BACK.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	538.5 KB 
ID:	9596
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Nice job Ken.
    Now all I need is a card for my Hansa Brandenburg along with the stats for it. Should have thought of that before I started changing it from a monoplane.
    Rob.

Step 11: Apply Decals with Microset and Microsol
    Step 12: Touch up Mini and Clear-coat, then Matte-coat

Applying the 16 decals was a long process, made longer by back pain and the very long breaks I was required to take in between decal work. In order to apply the Roundels and the tail flags, I had to first base-coat the area with white, as the decals were on clear paper. This allows the clear areas to show as white. I applied each decal with Microset, and once the decal had dried, I used multiple applications of Microsol to "melt" the decal into the paint and details of the mini. The tail number decals were the most difficult to apply, and did not show well due to the dark blue of the tail flag. The next time I make French decals I will be using a slightly lighter shade of blue.

After all the decals had dried thoroughly, I touched up a few small spots on the mini. I then applied a couple of good coats of gloss clear-coat, allowing each to dry... and then followed with a final coat of Testors Flat Coat.

Here is the finished product. In hindsight, I would choose to use a slightly lighter colored was on such a light base color next time, as this mini came looking a teeny bit to weathered. In the end I think it turned out pretty nicely!

And thus ends the Spad Repaint Project... time to go build a rooftop and then get to work finishing my Reviresco Camel Build...
    WoW Wow and Wow. Thats the best, I would find it hard to shoot you down after this job. Not impossible just hard

Wonderful work! The colors and decals match perfectly!
    I would take this one as prototype for the series-production by nexus :-) (of course without the typical production delay!)

Wow, Ken, that is truly great!

Those decals look great! Really well done.

-Elroy

A close to perfection as at all possible, splendid!

petitbilbo

Magnifique!

Perfect stuff... congratulations! Really a beauty...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Reviresco SE.5a Build Project
    By The Cowman in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 14:57
  2. Wings of War SPAD XIII vs. Reveresco SPAD XIII
    By sucklingpig in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 00:51
  3. Project Question
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club