Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reviresco Sopwith Triplane Build Project

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I hope you like my new version of the song. This is dedicated to the Cowman.
    Rob.

An old pilot went flying out one dark and windy day
    Upon his seat he rested as he went along his way
    When all at once a mighty Flight of red-winged kites he saw
    Plowin' through the ragged skies, and he heard their engines roar.

Yipie i-oh, yipie i-ay! Ghost Jasta in the sky

Their tail pipes glowed with fire, and their Spandaus made of steel
    Their engines black and shiny and their hot breath he could feel
    A bolt of fear went through him as they thundered through the sky
    For he saw the bullets coming hard, and he heard them whistle by.

Their faces gaunt, their eyes were blurred their jackets soaked with sweat
    They're flying hard to catch him, but they ain't caught him yet.
    'Cause they've got to fly forever on that sortie in the sky
    In Triplanes belching fire, as they fly on, hear their cry:

As the pilots looped on by him, he heard one call his name
    "If you want to save your soul from hell a flying in your plane
    Then English land your bus today, or you'll be sure to die
    Tryin' to catch the Baron's flight, across these endless skies"

Yipie i-oh, yipie i-ay! Ghost Jasta in the sky[.
    Sounds like my title song, though I don't know about the Yippee i-oh, yippie i-ah. As it's Germanic shouldn't it be yoddle oldle oooo, yoddle odle aaaa lol

Hi Chris.
    Since when have you been a poetry critic?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Oh, very nice. You make it sound like a Germanic Wild Hunt, from 1917!
    Karl
    Thanks Karl.
    Glad you noticed.
    Rob.

I hope you like my new version of the song. This is dedicated to the Cowman.
    Rob.

An old pilot went flying out one dark and windy day
    Upon his seat he rested as he went along his way
    When all at once a mighty Flight of red-winged kites he saw
    Plowin' through the ragged skies, and he heard their engines roar.

Their tail pipes glowed with fire, and their Spandaus made of steel
    Their engines black and shiny and their hot breath he could feel
    A bolt of fear went through him as they thundered through the sky
    For he saw the bullets coming hard, and he heard them whistle by.

Their faces gaunt, their eyes were blurred their jackets soaked with sweat
    They're flying hard to catch him, but they ain't caught him yet.
    'Cause they've got to fly forever on that sortie in the sky
    In Triplanes belching fire, as they fly on, hear their cry:

As the pilots looped on by him, he heard one call his name
    "If you want to save your soul from hell a flying in your plane
    Then English land your bus today, or you'll be sure to die
    Tryin' to catch the Baron's flight, across these endless skies"

Yipie i-oh, yipie i-ay! Ghost Jasta in the sky[.
    I am both honored and quite tickled! I will now have this little ditty going through my head the rest of the day!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I am both honored and quite tickled! I will now have this little ditty going through my head the rest of the day!
    Just wanted to cheer you up a bit Ken. You have had it a bit rough of late old fruit.
    Rob.

That was great, Rob! If any of our members can sing like Marty Robbins, they ought to record it.

I guess in German it would be spelled "Jipie i-oh, jipie i-ay!", but pronounced the same.

Red face

Hi Chris.
    Since when have you been a poetry critic?
    Rob.
    Since I became an English Major at college lol

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
    Since I became an English Major at college lol
    That explains a lot then.
    Rob.

Delays, Delays, Delays!!!

Gentlemen (and Ladies??? where are the Ladies?!?!?), I wanted very much to show you a finished product on both this and the Camel project for my upcoming tourney... however I hit a couple of small snags (Imagine that!)

Between not being able to hold anything tiny (like landing gear parts) with the big bandage on my left thumb; and having broken all my tiny Pin Drill bits, I find myself unable to continue until I can acquire both some new bits and a set of reverse action tweezers... hopefully both at my FGLS when I run the tournament there tomorrow. Its always something!!! Hopefully in a couple of days... hang with me!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Bloody RFC is always the same, hurry up and wait, then it's all rush rush rush....

Good luck tomorrow matey and remember not to fly straight for more than 20secs

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    Bloody RFC is always the same, hurry up and wait, then it's all rush rush rush....

Good luck tomorrow matey and remember not to fly straight for more than 20secs
    Unfortunately I did not fly at all... but in the ends my hands were full dealing with those hooligans we had for pilots... (J/K)

Tripehound is so. very. very. close. Can't. wait. for. clearcoat. to. dry... ack.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Step 9: Paint Model and Remaining Parts
    Step 10: Clear Coat, Apply Decals, Repeat Clear Coat
    Step 11: Assemble and Attach Landing Gear and Prop
    Step 12: Apply Dull Coat.

As you may have noticed, I have deviated quite a bit from the steps of my original plan. I think that as you build each model you are going to run into to different things that will cause you to be flexible in how you proceed. There were quite a few things with this model.

You will also notice that I have not used the pilot that came with this kit. Unfortunately the Cockpit opening in this kit was too small for the pilot to go in, no matter how I attempted to "size him down" . This particular Sopwith Triplane will have to be flown by remote control.

I used small diameter round brass rod for the axle and the prop shaft. I did end up having to fill in and re-drill the holes for the landing gear as they were in the wrong place.

I also had a few problems with the quality of the decals in this case. Despite a good dose of fixative before applying them, the color was a little "flaky". I was able to use paint to touch up a few rough spots.

All in all I think the final product turned out pretty good. Seven weeks, two Holidays, a major "crushing accident", multiple trips to the Hobby Store, and one trip to the ER to have my thumb-tip glued back on and here you have it:

(History Fanatics try not to go into cardiac arrest.)

And that finally concludes this Build Project!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 01-15-2011 at 21:10.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Default Wow...

I just finished summarizing this thread into a Blog Entry

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/ent...-Build-Project

I have to say it is very interesting to look back at this thread and the series of events that occured during this build. I would have never expected it to turn out like it did, and considering the circumstances I am pretty happy with the end result.

Thanks for all the support during the build! It is good to know I can count on my wingsofwar.org buddies to keep my spirits up and my ego in check...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Well Ken.
    What can I say. It has all been said, many times. Another triumph for the Cowman, and despite the length of the sortie, very little blood spilt. Well enemy blood at any rate. I trust that when you fly her you will rectify this little matter. We don't fly these planes just to stooge around and look pretty you know. On the matter of looking pretty, whilst the paint job on your plane is up to the usual standard, why did you have to spoil it with those white splodges that pass for clouds on the background?
    Seriously, another great project Ken. Thanks for the entertaining saga.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Nicely done Ken.
    Well Ken.
    What can I say. It has all been said, many times. Another triumph for the Cowman, and despite the length of the sortie, very little blood spilt. Well enemy blood at any rate. I trust that when you fly her you will rectify this little matter. We don't fly these planes just to stooge around and look pretty you know. On the matter of looking pretty, whilst the paint job on your plane is up to the usual standard, why did you have to spoil it with those white splodges that pass for clouds on the background?
    Seriously, another great project Ken. Thanks for the entertaining saga.
    Rob.
    Thanks Keith and Rob! I am here to learn with a smile, and entertain to attain smiles! Even if it involves that occasional trip to the ER. !

P.S. thanks for the upgrade to an Article as well!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 01-16-2011 at 12:08. Reason: Addition:
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Very nice work, although the top-down shot does show the decals in a somewhat unforgiving light.

Dom, hoping they're not his....

A very enjoyable story Cowman: laughter, tears, smiles and nods all around. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Very nice work, although the top-down shot does show the decals in a somewhat unforgiving light.

Dom, hoping they're not his....
    I was wishing they were yours or Keith's... the "Blue" in the Roundel is Turquoise... and they shredded and flaked despite a healthy coat of clear coat before application. I wonder if I should order some of yours and try to place them overtop... it is honestly the one thing I am least happy with about the model.
    Last edited by The Cowman; 01-17-2011 at 00:15.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Bravo Ken, bravo, I'm looking forward to your next foray now

You know, as good as your Triplane looks, I can honestly say I had no idea how tough this guy is to build until today. I probably should have sent mine back (the fuselage is frakked) and asked for a new one. Now, I can only hope it comes out looking half as nice as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    You know, as good as your Triplane looks, I can honestly say I had no idea how tough this guy is to build until today. I probably should have sent mine back (the fuselage is frakked) and asked for a new one. Now, I can only hope it comes out looking half as nice as yours.
    Thanks... but I had to do a lot of putty work on my fuselage... that mold is obviously getting very old... and yes it is a tough build... I still have a DR.I from Reviresco in the pacakage that I am afraid to even start... hoping to get in a few trouble free projects first... regather my strength as it were...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by Walram View Post
    Cowman, Your such an inspiration!

Thanks to your thread, I went ahead and bought two Reviresco Sopwith Tripes too. Your right, it is a difficult model but your wing jig box idea worked well.
    With the first one, I had trouble keeping the wings on so had to do some reinforcing with "green stuff". The same with the Wheel assembly.
    I painted the first as A Flight, 10th RNAS and gave it to a friend as a Christmas gift. Hopefully I can do better on the second (the one I plan to keep!) It'll be painted up as C Flight, 10th RNAS. I'll post pictures when the second is done.

I'm serious though; thanks for doing this. It gave me the courage to give it a go.
    As promised, here are photos of the two Reviresco Triplanes I did. Please excuse the quality of the photos, as my camera crashed and burned on my last mission so had to take the shots with my phone. Note: this is my first try at attaching pictures - guess we'll see if it works.

Cowman - Thanks again for the write-up.

Didn't work so, I'll try a link to the photo album --

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=461
    Last edited by Walram; 02-28-2011 at 20:57. Reason: Photos didn't show.

Quote Originally Posted by Walram View Post
    As promised, here are photos of the two Reviresco Triplanes I did. Please excuse the quality of the photos, as my camera crashed and burned on my last mission so had to take the shots with my phone. Note: this is my first try at attaching pictures - guess we'll see if it works.

Cowman - Thanks again for the write-up.

Didn't work so, I'll try a link to the photo album --

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=461
    I am glad you got some inspiration from my project! Your planes turned out great!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Sopwith Pup
    By sucklingpig in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 02:44
  2. Anyone want to build me a Gotha?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 14:00
  3. Project Question
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club