Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviresco Sopwith Triplane Build Project

Default Reviresco Sopwith Triplane Build Project

Last night I started my first Reviresco miniature build... Figured I would jump in head first and go for a harder one, so I chose to do the Sopwith Tripe. I am going to attempt to photo-document my work here in this thread as I progress.

I will be following a set of tips and instructions kindly provided to me by Flying Officer Kyte. If this project should happen to blow up in my face, it will be because of my lack of experience and skill and not because of Rob's instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    BUILDING THE REV TRIPE.

1. Clean off any flashing on the model
    2. Fill any cavities and rub down.
    3. Photo copy several images of the card jig supplied.
    4. Don’t cut up the jig but use each one as a full box to slip over each wing. It gives a firmer structure and makes it easier to position all the wing parts in alignment.
    5. Glue the bottom wing into place.
    6. Do a dry run of the wing assembly with the jig.
    7. Assemble the wings with the jigs in place. Don’t worry about trapping them, you can cut them off afterwards. Be very careful to get the alignment of the wings correct. They should be staggered forward. The jig will help here.
    8. When glue has set, carefully cut off the jigs.
    9. Turn the plane over and glue the undercart.
    10. As per usual I left the prop off until the body is painted.
    11. Spray your undercoat on .
    12. Paint plane pilot and prop.
    13. This is where I make my decals for registration Nos. Name on plane and any other bits.
    14. Attach decals and when dry brush over lightly with Microsol to set them.
    15. Glue in prop.
    16. Varnish to taste.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I will be following a set of tips and instructions kindly provided to me by Flying Officer Kyte. If this project should happen to blow up in my face, it will be because of my lack of experience and skill and not because of Rob's instructions.
    Oh I'm not so sure about that Ken. I did forget to warn you about naked lights and glue fumes.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

1. Clean off any flashing on the model
    2. Fill any cavities and rub down.
    3. Photo copy several images of the card jig supplied.
    4. Don’t cut up the jig but use each one as a full box to slip over each wing. It gives a firmer structure and makes it easier to position all the wing parts in alignment.

Here is a pic of the the kit straight out of the bag. There was quite a bit of flash, and the details on the plane were quite muddy in places. I purchased two Tripe kits, and this was the better of the two...There were also a few pits here and there. I assume this is because the kits came from a very well used mold:

I cut and filed off all the flash, filled in the pits with green stuff, and attempted to bring back out as much of the missing detail as a could. Then I scanned the wing jig image from the back of the packaging and used photo editing software to reproduce a few copies ( I will have lots of extras..):

Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

5. Glue the bottom wing into place.

First a quick picture of the workspace... just because...

Now to the gluing of the bottm wing...The wing went on rather well but fits with some gaps along the fuselage that I will have to fill with greenstuff...

Time for a coffee break... more to come...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Now that I look closely at the pictures, I have decided that I will be going back to clean up some of the rib lines that I got rather crooked...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

6. Do a dry run of the wing assembly with the jig.

After attempting this with the first set of jigs I constructed... well the whole thing kinda blew up in my face. To my frustration I had made sloppy cuts in the jig and because of this, nothing lined up properly and I even had difficulty inserting the wings in the jig... so I carefully and precisely cut and folded new jigs. Measure twice, cut once. Or try cutting it right the first time you dufus!! I think that's the quote.

Round 2: This time things went much smoother. I decide to pin the jigs in place as I lined things up so as to give me even more stability when I do the actual "glue run" on the wings... we will see how things go. Hopefully I can cut out the struts without mangling them and hopefully they will fit through the holes in the wings... Otherwise I will be scrambling to find new material whith which to build new struts.

Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Very useful info as I 've just ordered the reviresco Hanriot HD1...
    Thanks
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 11-25-2010 at 00:41. Reason: typo

Don't like the look of this jigs. They look very cumbersome. I'd be tempted to make one from stepped balsa that would just sit in front of the plane.

Default like fun

that like's like fun! nice! do you have pic. of it done?

The jigs work fine, I have built two Tripes and you should find the struts a good fit in the slots.

Looks like you're moving along here...thanks for the pics/update...unfortunately for me...no time, no patience, no skill

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldRS View Post
    that like's like fun! nice! do you have pic. of it done?
    Not yet Ronald... this is a work in progress... keep checking back!

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    The jigs work fine, I have built two Tripes and you should find the struts a good fit in the slots.
    Thanks George! I am counting on it! Hope to get the wings glued in place later tonight.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Default AAAAACCCCKKKK!!!!

Disaster has struck! Please see this thread for details...

Tripe construction will continue as soon as a solution becomes available...

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Update: Local Train store and hobby store were closed today... so still no brass or styrene rods to commence the repairs and finish the build...

I am thinking I will get ambitious and start the Se.5a while I am waiting on my chance to get parts...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!

I now have a bunch of various styrene and brass rod, and flat rod, plus some new files and other hobby goodies... time to get building again!!! (After I play video games with my five year old nephew!)

No more scrimshanking!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Isn't it better to paint the model before assembling it?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Isn't it better to paint the model before assembling it?
    When I built all my 1/72 models for Aerodrome 1.1, that is exactly what I did... I may regret not doing that here, but this was my first run at one of these and I was concerned with the stability of the model, since it will be handled quite a bit. I wanted to make sure all the glue joints held, especially struts... and figured paint might create a problem.

I have been toying with doing some painting now before adding the undercarriage and other small parts... not sure yet.

Edit: I should also mention that I will be airbrushing on all my base colors... so that pretty much means I only have to get in the nooks and tight spots for the small detail work.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

When I built all my 1/72 models for Aerodrome 1.1, that is exactly what I did... I may regret not doing that here, but this was my first run at one of these and I was concerned with the stability of the model, since it will be handled quite a bit. I wanted to make sure all the glue joints held, especially struts... and figured paint might create a problem.

I have been toying with doing some painting now before adding the undercarriage and other small parts... not sure yet.
    I always glue as much as I can before painting, Then spraycoat white primer. Just add the hard to get at bits after painting. Cowman is right. This makes for a much stronger and more seamless joint.
    Rob.

7. Assemble the wings with the jigs in place. Don’t worry about trapping them, you can cut them off afterwords. Be very careful to get the alignment of the wings correct. They should be staggered forward. The jig will help here.

OK... so the "Thanksgiving Disaster" is behind me now... and after about 6 tries total, I have now finally assembled the wings and struts. At first I tried with the jigs, but found that I could not work within the confined space and had to bail on them. The other 5 tries were spent with me gluing, and "ungluing" the wings to get them positioned as close to "right" as I could. At least I will have more experience on my second Tripe mini... After wards I used white putty to fill strut holes and a few other spots and sanded the areas down... at this point I am not happy with how the details are looking... but we will see once I get some primer on the model.

At his point I think I am going to change up the order of the tips and go ahead and prime this model and parts and the SE.5a project as well. I may do some painting before assembling the last few small parts and undercarriages.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

You didn't get too brassed off fitting the struts then? I found this the hardest wing assembly I have done excepting the A.E.G. Any other planes will be a piece of pie after this one, unless you have more than one Thanksgiving a year.
    Rob.

Default from pa

LOOKING GOOD!!!! keep it up!!!

You didn't get too brassed off fitting the struts then? I found this the hardest wing assembly I have done excepting the A.E.G. Any other planes will be a piece of pie after this one, unless you have more than one Thanksgiving a year.
    Rob.
    The whole time I was doing it I kept thinking " Now I know why Rob said this was the most difficult one he had done." The brass is great because it keeps it nice and rigid, but if the holes are not perfect, there is no flexibility for error and everything ends up out of kilter. But at least I did not smash it beyond repair!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Step 8. Prime Aircraft and remaining parts. (Changing up the order of things a touch.)

This part was pretty simple... except that it is 32° F. here in Baltimore, Ohio, necessitating the creation of a makeshift spraybox in my attic so I could vent the overspray out the window as I sprayed in a warm environment. A window fan on reverse, cardboard box, an exacto knife, and some furnace filters... and Alackazam!! Ten minutes later I have a spray box! No fumes... no mess!

From here I will be airbrushing on some base colors, and then hand painting the rest of the model. I may also be adjusting that right center wing just a touch and filling in a few missed divots...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Where is the picture of your spraybox set up then? I love Heath Robinson affairs.
    Rob.

Another nice tidy build Ken. You've really got the hang of this now.

Don't worry about Kytey as his love for Heath Robinson . Last week he was in love with 'Biff' . Keeps callling himself an 'old thread' too. Poor thing

Default from ronald

can't whate to see the pic's of pant and decal's! good job!

The whole time I was doing it I kept thinking " Now I know why Rob said this was the most difficult one he had done." The brass is great because it keeps it nice and rigid, but if the holes are not perfect, there is no flexibility for error and everything ends up out of kilter. But at least I did not smash it beyond repair!
    Try making the wholes bigger, that gives you some wiggle room. Thats what I did.

Where is the picture of your spraybox set up then? I love Heath Robinson affairs.
    Rob.
    Here ya go Rob... pretty simple... I use old t-shirts as rags to keep the box sealed against the window, I get pretty good reverse airflow that way! I also have one to drop down in front to help keep the fumes in the box after I am done (I leave a vent to get airflow.)

Works like a charm, and keeps me from seeing purple fuzzy elephants when I am spraying from a can!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Thanks for the pics. Very retro. One thing worries me though, and that is seeing you spraying from a can!
    Rob.

Step 8.5: Start Painting, which makes more divots and deformities stand out, correct with putty and sand.

As the above states, I noticed some rough spots and a hole that I missed when puttying the model earlier... so I decided to fix them before painting any further.... I still have some sanding to do and will start painting again after that!

Back to painting!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

For a minute I thought I could see blood on the back of that Tripe. No more cut fingers I trust.
    Rob.

Still in the painting stage. Just been busy with the Holidays and lopping off body parts...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Best wishes for the next stage.

Best wishes for the next stage.

Thanks! if my thumb would stop throbbing so much , I would be able to get this one done pretty quickly and get moving on the Camel as well... and then I have a DR1 to do!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

1-2-2011

Update: Thumb has topped throbbing. (As long as I remember not to wack it on objects around the house) I am am well into the painting stage... should have some finished pics in the next couple of days as long as I have no trouble assemblying the undercarriage. Check back soon!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Default Sneak Peak

1-3-2011: Sneak Peak

OK so here are a couple of teaser pics... You might notice that I straightened out that center wing problem... the pending paint job should look familiar... (Come on... how did you think I was gonna paint it?) Not far from completeion... just a few more details and I need to find the right sized pins for the prop and undercarriage axle (the kit comes with neither.)

I have a Doctor's appointment early in the AM... so it is off to bed for now! Catch ya on the flip side!

Ken Head - "The Cowman"

This looks pretty good, especially considering it is a Reviresco model - which I have found to be pretty poorly cast and tend to need a lot of work to make look right. Great job!

Zach

Wow Ken soon youll have a whole herd in the sky's. Well done that man

It's the first time that I have seen a pound of tripe, whilst it was still on the cow.
    Rob.

Was there really an Allied Sopwith triplane with that paint scheme?

Was there really an Allied Sopwith triplane with that paint scheme?
    OMG I sure hope not... because you would have seen it coming from miles away! It is just a signature scheme for me...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Great if you are hiding in a field of cows though Ken.
    Rob.

Could be kinda scary to see airborne cows.

An old cowboy went ridin' out one dark and windy day
    Upon a ridge he rested as he went along his way
    When all at once a mighty herd of red-eyed cows he saw
    Plowin' through the ragged skies, and up a cloudy draw

Yipie i-oh, yipie i-ay! Ghost herd in the sky

Their brands were still on fire, and their hooves were made of steel
    Their horns were black and shiny and their hot breath he could feel
    A bolt of fear went through him as they thundered through the sky
    For he saw the riders comin' hard, and he heard their mournful cry

Yipie i-oh, yipie i-ay! Ghost riders in the sky

Their faces gaunt, their eyes were blurred their shirts all soaked with sweat
    They're ridin' hard to catch that herd, but they ain't caught 'em yet'
    'Cause they've got to ride forever on that range up in the sky
    On horses snorting fire, as they ride on, hear their cry

As the riders loped on by him, he heard one call his name
    "If you want to save your soul from hell a riding on our range
    Then cowboy change your ways today, or with us you will ride
    Tryin' to catch the devil's herd, across these endless skies"

It might be useful camouflage on an ice tundra.

Cowman, Your such an inspiration!

Thanks to your thread, I went ahead and bought two Reviresco Sopwith Tripes too. Your right, it is a difficult model but your wing jig box idea worked well.
    With the first one, I had trouble keeping the wings on so had to do some reinforcing with "green stuff". The same with the Wheel assembly.
    I painted the first as A Flight, 10th RNAS and gave it to a friend as a Christmas gift. Hopefully I can do better on the second (the one I plan to keep!) It'll be painted up as C Flight, 10th RNAS. I'll post pictures when the second is done.

I'm serious though; thanks for doing this. It gave me the courage to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Walram View Post
    Cowman, Your such an inspiration!

Thanks to your thread, I went ahead and bought two Reviresco Sopwith Tripes too. Your right, it is a difficult model but your wing jig box idea worked well.
    With the first one, I had trouble keeping the wings on so had to do some reinforcing with "green stuff". The same with the Wheel assembly.
    I painted the first as A Flight, 10th RNAS and gave it to a friend as a Christmas gift. Hopefully I can do better on the second (the one I plan to keep!) It'll be painted up as C Flight, 10th RNAS. I'll post pictures when the second is done.

I'm serious though; thanks for doing this. It gave me the courage to give it a go.
    Means a lot David! Thanks! I truly hope to have the paint Job and Decals done on this build by tomorrow evening... It has been a very busy week so far, and I am way behind thanks to dicing up my thumb...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I hope you like my new version of the song. This is dedicated to the Cowman.
    Rob.

An old pilot went flying out one dark and windy day
    Upon his seat he rested as he went along his way
    When all at once a mighty Flight of red-winged kites he saw
    Plowin' through the ragged skies, and he heard their engines roar.

Yipie i-oh, yipie i-ay! Ghost Jasta in the sky

Their tail pipes glowed with fire, and their Spandaus made of steel
    Their engines black and shiny and their hot breath he could feel
    For he saw the bullets coming hard, and he heard them whistle by.

Their faces gaunt, their eyes were blurred their jackets soaked with sweat
    They're flying hard to catch him, but they ain't caught him yet.
    'Cause they've got to fly forever on that sortie in the sky
    In Triplanes belching fire, as they fly on, hear their cry:

As the pilots looped on by him, he heard one call his name
    "If you want to save your soul from hell a flying in your plane
    Then English land your bus today, or you'll be sure to die
    Tryin' to catch the Baron's flight, across these endless skies"

Yipie i-oh, yipie i-ay! Ghost Jasta in the sky[.

Oh, very nice. You make it sound like a Germanic Wild Hunt, from 1917!
    Karl

I hope you like my new version of the song. This is dedicated to the Cowman.
    Rob.

An old pilot went flying out one dark and windy day
    Upon his seat he rested as he went along his way
    When all at once a mighty Flight of red-winged kites he saw
    Plowin' through the ragged skies, and he heard their engines roar.

Their tail pipes glowed with fire, and their Spandaus made of steel
    Their engines black and shiny and their hot breath he could feel
    For he saw the bullets coming hard, and he heard them whistle by.

Their faces gaunt, their eyes were blurred their jackets soaked with sweat
    They're flying hard to catch him, but they ain't caught him yet.
    'Cause they've got to fly forever on that sortie in the sky
    In Triplanes belching fire, as they fly on, hear their cry:

As the pilots looped on by him, he heard one call his name
    "If you want to save your soul from hell a flying in your plane
    Then English land your bus today, or you'll be sure to die
    Tryin' to catch the Baron's flight, across these endless skies"

Yipie i-oh, yipie i-ay! Ghost Jasta in the sky[.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Sopwith Pup
    By sucklingpig in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 02:44
  2. Anyone want to build me a Gotha?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 14:00
  3. Project Question
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club