Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captured Martian tripods

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Captured Martian tripods

So I am starting to think about repainting some Tripods to represent those captured by the United Forces of Earth for the upcoming War of the Worlds. I have every confidence the machines will soon be in the mail and on their way to us...

What are your thoughts on potential paint schemes? I was toying with overall PC10 for a British captured one, and green and purple for a German one? or do you think using national colors in different patterns might work? or how about a dazzle scheme reminiscent of naval vessels...? In any event, I think it should be something to obviously set the captured ones off from the alien tripods...

Your thoughts would be most welcome!

All the best,
    Matt

Germans should use the same scheme as they did on their WW1 tanks; also their late war helmets!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JTJQw1l.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	263502

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I fear that any I capture will be taken away by a very select team of scientists working at some facility called Porton Down I believe.
    Your captures should look magnificent in Dazzle scheme Matt and the upside is they can then be employed by any friendly? Nation.
    I still don't trust those chaps that came in the strange black aircraft and said they were Thai Fighters from the Empire. We all know that Thailand is not in the Empire. Ask any Australian.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Oooooh, Karl - great idea!!!

And the more I think about a dazzle scheme, Rob, the more that sounds like a good idea, too! And Thai fighters through a time warp...that's a different sort of rocky horror picture show altogether...

All the best,
    Matt

Name:	MkI_Locust Tripod_Camo.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	263503
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

No sooner said than done!
    Very nice Mike.
    Now I'm just waiting for The Battle star Galactica to arrive to help the allies and we will have a full house.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

That works really well.

As for Thai fighters

Name:	74780_0.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	263504

Just to ensure everyone knows, the above image was 'Photoshopped', right? I just added some tint layers to an Ares image of a Mk I 'Locust'.
    Mike

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I was going to ask just that, Mike! Looks very nice, indeed - I think I shall definitely have to give this a go when I get some extra 'pods - have to decide how many extras I will need beyond my "Total War" package coming from the Kickstarter... I think the MkII offers the best surfaces for repaint purposes/captured tripods.

All the best,
    Matt

Great idea Matt, though if you wanted to save your Martians as Martians you could mount a flagstaff & the nations appropriate national flag - that way a model could do double duty for you and any nation could 'own' the captured machine. Imagine a tripod with a 'battle flag' flying off the back !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Great idea Matt, though if you wanted to save your Martians as Martians you could mount a flagstaff & the nations appropriate national flag - that way a model could do double duty for you and any nation could 'own' the captured machine. Imagine a tripod with a 'battle flag' flying off the back !
    Mk II 'Scarab' with sashimono:

Name:	MkII_Tripod_Sashimono.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	263511
    Mike

That German Camo would certainly suit them from my point of view Zoe.
    What about the Klingons next then?
    Rob.

Mk II 'Scarab' with sashimono:

Name:	MkII_Tripod_Sashimono.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	263511
    That's the idea & would be fine for a Japanese capture -

Prefer something like this for the Germans

"He is wise who watches"

Great ideas chaps, and as you say a great way to save duplication of models. Not that I would envisage using the ploy that our club used.
    If you captured a regimental standard during a game. You kept the figure until the owner presented you with a corresponding standard for your hall of standards. It certainly helped to cut down on the risk of throwing a regiment away by fighting to the last man.
    Rob.

Name:	MkII_Tripod_ImpGermanArmy.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	411.2 KB 
ID:	263512

With WWI Trench Splatter Camo.
    Mike

That's another real cracker Mike.
    We could be in for a lot of fun with these.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I like the flag idea, too, Dave - I had thought that perhaps might be an option, as well...your point about saving the Martians for reuse as themselves is well-taken, especially given the cost of the figures. Perhaps a mix will be in order? A couple of repaints and a number of attachable battle flags would look cool on the board and accomplish the purpose.

Do we have a scale on the Tripods? Has anyone seen mention of that? I don't recall seeing it myself in the various threads, but I could easily have missed it. They almost look like they could be 1/144, depending on how many Martians one assumes are inside piloting the walkers...

I love the creativity and ideas you all are coming up with here Your computer skills never cease to amaze, Mike!

All the best,
    Matt

Name:	MkII_Tripod_ImpGermanArmy.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	411.2 KB 
ID:	263512

With WWI Trench Splatter Camo.
    Well there you go, splendid example Mike. We could have White Ensigns,Union flags, Tricolour, 'Old Glory', 'Jolly Roger' as we wish.

"He is wise who watches"

Mike: your making me want to buy more tripods. Please, I beg of you.....
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I'm afraid it's too late for that Karl.
    They have got us firmly in their talons.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Not that I planned this as I started this tread, but it seems pretty cool to have multiple options for 'allied' war machines available to the Entente and Central Powers as we move forward into the T&T future...I think we have a ton of possibilities ahead of us here...of course, what you derive from the Martian Invasion is certainly up to you...

We have a nifty opportunity here to interest folks who may not have been interested before in Wings of Glory/War. From Thunderchild to 'allied' tripods to whatever else we find ourselves generating to enjoy Tripods and Triplanes, I am definitely excited to have these little buggers in my hands soon...

All the best,
    Matt
    Last edited by matt56; 02-26-2019 at 07:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Mike: your making me want to buy more tripods. Please, I beg of you.....
    Karl
    Karl,
    I can't help it. I have to see it to believe it, so I do pictures. I'm a visual cripple. The Better Half has to resort to drawing pictures for me, when she tries to get me to understand her descriptions of things (improvements in the house, landscaping, etc...). I'm pathetic.

Now, that said, Captured Tripods need Lewis gun mounts on top of the Mk.IIs and IIIs, for Anti-Aircraft defence. 360 degree B arcs, level one at normal, level two at half range for long range damage.
    Mike

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

As someone involved with the playtesting of this game, Mike, do you have any sense of a potential scale for the tripods?

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    As someone involved with the playtesting of this game, Mike, do you have any sense of a potential scale for the tripods?

All the best,
    Matt
    No, as it hasn't been officially announced. I have posted measurements of individual tripods, but haven't done the math to figure out scales.

The same models are to be used for both WGF and WGS, and we don't know how big Martians are, nor how many are in the various Mks of machines. So, the easy answer is: whatever.
    Mike

Hmm, not found a scale mentioned anywhere yet Matt.
    Measuring an Alb D.II model as 5cm long = 7.4m in real life, so, if I got my maths right the smallest Martian (at 4.7cm) is about 23 feet if it is the same scale.
    The tallest Martian (8.7cm) would work out just over 42 feet (12.8m) & the middle sized ones (6.7cm) about 32.5 feet (9.9m).
    If you doubled their sizes the scale would of course be 1:288 (fitting in nicely with a certain persons Zeppelin models) and you'd have Martians ranging from 46'; 65' & 84'.
    Let you work out the WW2 scale !
    There'll be some low flying involved to take on these fellahs !

"He is wise who watches"

That's the beauty of Si Fi it don't really matter. We all know that the vertical scale is not the same as horizontal scale in Wargames anyway so why try to fix what aint broke chaps. Have at it and enjoy without trying to solve the unsolvable and without some of the sizes to boot. Even HG Wells never gave a definitive size, nor explained the types of Martian machines in a clear way. Rather think they were modified to meet the needs of the moment.
    Chill out and enjoy.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Yeah, I think you all are on the right track with this. Our planes and mats are out of scale to begin with, and putting the Martians on the Ares game mats furthers that disparity. I think perhaps when I play with WWI they will be 1/144th scale and when it's WWII, they will be 1/200th scale. So much of the WotW artwork generated by folks shows them towering over the Earthling weapons, which makes them seem taller than they are in the game vis a vis the size of the planes. They would look good against 1/285 or 1/300 armor and vehicles, and of course, those size vehicles look great as ground targets for our WWI and II planes...

Not stressing about scale is probably the best way to go here. Perhaps I need of few of those frog pills, Rob?!

All the best,
    Matt

...Not stressing about scale is probably the best way to go here....
    Agreed, though if somebody asks, and they will, at least we can tell them some numbers; then let them stress about it !

"He is wise who watches"

We could claim that the WGS Tripods are larger versions of the WGF models.

Good idea Dave.
    Updated Tripods. I like it.
    Rob.

Towering, scary, scale I say! They should invoke fear, horror, doom as they appear over the tops of the buildings . . .

Name:	20180424_201227_resized.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	263554

Now that is scary Dave.
    Rob.

Everyone.................................DUCK!

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Not another PEEP out of you, Mr. Helmut!

All the best,
    Matt

They are all Quackers I tell you, stark raving quackers!

Rob.

So you can attract them with a flatbed train car loaded with Graham crackers with a tank car of Hershey chocolate attached to either end, time triggered with a bed full of napalm, goes boom, cooks the martian, coats it completely in chocolate and graham crackers, then you look for somore martians. Simple. Sweet. Can't wait till they arrive!

I think a lack of instruction manuals and understandable controls might put paid to this concept ...

"Oi, I wonder what this button does?"

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ... ...

There are always people dying to find out...
    Mike

It is intriguing that in his book HG Wells intimates that many future scientific advances including that of flight were discovered by back engineering the Tripods, but says nothing about what they were other than that. Nor does he mention how many experiments ended in pressing that button.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It is intriguing that in his book HG Wells intimates that many future scientific advances including that of flight were discovered by back engineering the Tripods, but says nothing about what they were other than that. Nor does he mention how many experiments ended in pressing that button.
    Rob.
    IIRC, he does say that attempts to study and replicate both the Heat Ray and Black Smoke failed both miserably and catastrophically.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I think a lack of instruction manuals and understandable controls might put paid to this concept ...

"Whats this one dooooooooo..... !

Name:	Eject.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	263941

"He is wise who watches"

Smokin!

Rob.

No more vindaloo for me.....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Pehaps vindaloo only when no open flame is around is the key, Steve? Or maybe vindaloo is an insidious Martian 5th Column initiative...

All the best,
    Matt

That's a phall-arsey ....

"He is wise who watches"

Do you mean it's nowt butt rumours Dave?

Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Reminds me of JG 400's unit emblem - 'Wie ein Floh aber oho!'...

I went ahead and signed up to run a T&T scenario at Origins that will include a couple of repainted Earthling tripods... It should be a lot of fun.

All the best,
    Matt

...I went ahead and signed up to run a T&T scenario at Origins that will include a couple of repainted Earthling tripods...
    Going by the crowd around the table last year that should go down very well Matt.

"He is wise who watches"

I can't wait to see the pictures of that one Matt. i bet the look on the punters' faces will be a treat.
    Rob.

Just saw this and those are great looking paint jobs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. The Great Martian War 1913 - 1917
    By Baxter in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-30-2020, 03:59
  2. How to handle a Martian...
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-12-2018, 21:50
  3. Official Martian Killers
    By Baxter in forum Hobby Room