Ares Games

Thread: using same cards from one turn to another: is this legal, illegal, gamey?

Question using same cards from one turn to another: is this legal, illegal, gamey?

Due to cards availability in a given deck there are some maneuvers combinations that are not possible to perform during the same turn:

two that come to mind:

Imelman - straight - Imelman

or make (say) three 90 degrees right turns in a row with a Fokker DrI (since D Deck has only two 90 degrees turns).

But... say I'm playing a SPAD and my maneuvers in my previous turns have been:

Straight-Imelmann-Straight ... now in the following turn I do have the Imelmann card available ... can I play it?

Say that I'm playing a DrI and my previous turn have been: regular right turn-90 dgrs right turn-90 degrees right turn... now in my new turn I could play two 90 degrees turn in a row again (completing four 90 degrees turn in a row)

Are those type of combinations (from one turn to the other) legal?
    Are they 'legal' but considered 'gamey' tactics?
    Or are plainly illegal?

Thanks in advance!

There are

Yes, turn to turn does not matter unless there is a steep maneuver limitation that you are violating. As long as the card is back in your hand legally, you can use it again.

A Camel can sit and spin and spin and spin.

And a Fokker D.VII can play:

Turn 1: Normal Non-steep - Short Steep - Short Non-steep
    Turn 2: Short Steep - Short Non-steep -Short Steep
    Turn 3: Short Non-steep - Short Steep - Normal Non-steep

For a total of seven short moves in a row!

If you use the SE5A watch out for the higher number of cards with steep on them. It caused problems for a few gamers tonight, whose Snipes do not have steep on their sharp turns.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    And a Fokker D.VII can play:

Turn 1: Normal Non-steep - Short Steep - Short Non-steep
    Turn 2: Short Steep - Short Non-steep -Short Steep
    Turn 3: Short Non-steep - Short Steep - Normal Non-steep

For a total of seven short moves in a row!
    The one thing that bugs me about this plane is that they only put in one stall! So in order to do this I need to turn or do a climb (but I don't play with altitude so I can't!)

Playing against my wife, she used the Immelmann - straight - Immelmann - straight - Immelmann routine on me...drove my batty! ...and she still shot me down later on

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Jim, Wives are dangerous and tricky that way, LOL!

Is he still married?

I do stuff like that all the time!

Jim Immelmann straight Immelmann straight Immelmann is an illegal move unless it is played over 3 turns.
    Although it would be a brave man to suggest that to ones Wife. Tee Hee
    Linz

Remeber a happy wife is a happy life.

Pick your battles well. and that's why I don't play serious games with the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Jim Immelmann straight Immelmann straight Immelmann is an illegal move unless it is played over 3 turns.
    Although it would be a brave man to suggest that to ones Wife. Tee Hee
    Linz
    Is there a particular reason why only so many moves of a given type are allowed per turn? For example, does the length of time one takes (like the Immelmann) make it so that it would be physically impossible for a plane to make 2 or more of them in a given turn? And is that why different planes have different decks - the difference in the speed and handling affects the pilots options for maneuvers?

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

There`s actually nothing to prevent you playing (Start of turn)straight,Immellmann, straight,(End of turn)Immellmann, straight,straight(End of turn) Immellmann ,straight, and so on.

Perhaps his wife is playing with the optional ace abilities rule and is an exceptional pilot that would be ok...

Exceptional pilot: Can use the same manoeuvre twice in the same turn. Take two blank manoeuvre cards and write a
    "1" on one and a "2" on the other. Add them to your manoeuvre deck. When you plan your move, you can use the "1"
    as the second or third manoeuvre, the "2" as third: when you show the "1" use the first manoeuvre of the turn again,
    when you show the "2" use the second again.
    Example: a SPAD XIII plans an Immelman, a straight and a "1". The plane executes an Immelman in the first phase, a
    straight in the second and another Immelmann in the third one.
    The restrictions of the "1" and "2" are the same as the card they replace. So if you use a "1" and the first manoeuvre of
    the turn was a Immelmann, you have to do a straight manoeuvre before it and another after it.

Shane

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguy001 View Post
    Perhaps his wife is playing with the optional ace abilities rule and is an exceptional pilot that would be ok...

Exceptional pilot: Can use the same manoeuvre twice in the same turn. Take two blank manoeuvre cards and write a
    "1" on one and a "2" on the other. Add them to your manoeuvre deck. When you plan your move, you can use the "1"
    as the second or third manoeuvre, the "2" as third: when you show the "1" use the first manoeuvre of the turn again,
    when you show the "2" use the second again.
    Example: a SPAD XIII plans an Immelman, a straight and a "1". The plane executes an Immelman in the first phase, a
    straight in the second and another Immelmann in the third one.
    The restrictions of the "1" and "2" are the same as the card they replace. So if you use a "1" and the first manoeuvre of
    the turn was a Immelmann, you have to do a straight manoeuvre before it and another after it.

Shane
    So true!

Similar Missions

1. The Stall-Turn or Hammerhead Turn Maneuver
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 12:13
  2. Can't turn 90 degrees?
    By rcboater in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 18:56
  3. Turn vs Manuever