Ares Games

Thread: Calling the shot first

Default Calling the shot first

A rule that I like to use is to call out that you will engage the enemy aircraft before measuring. This is used when you use the limited number of shots per plane. After you call out that you will engage and find out you aren't close enough, you waste a shot as well as chance jambing. This makes the game a little more realistic and fun. So you make sure you really want to engage before calling it out!!!

Yes! Dale. I actually never gave this any thought. As a long time war gamer, used to artillery fire etc. being conducted in this manner, I took it as read that you always measure after going Daka-daka-daka. you have a very good point here old chap. It will be interesting to get other pilots' views on it.
    rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

In the rulessystem of my group we use this on a regular basis. We even have an ace-skill which allows you to measure before declaring an attack

Quote Originally Posted by graysin1337 View Post
    In the rulessystem of my group we use this on a regular basis. We even have an ace-skill which allows you to measure before declaring an attack
    Interesting skill. Must admit that after ranging in field guns across the table for 40 years, knowing when I'm a ruler length away is not much of a challenge. For the youngsters, however, I can well see it as a good ace skill to take.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

This is a good house rule when using limited ammo. As most of the guys I play with always want to be within half a ruler when engaging the enemy. You don't want to waste a shot and give out
    one damage card when you can give them two.

Tom

We also play that if its on the line its a long shot and if its at the end of the stick its a miss. We play gentlemen rules, meaning it has to be a clearly clean shot. When in doubt its out.

Tom

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Winhold View Post
    A rule that I like to use is to call out that you will engage the enemy aircraft before measuring. This is used when you use the limited number of shots per plane. After you call out that you will engage and find out you aren't close enough, you waste a shot as well as chance jambing. This makes the game a little more realistic and fun. So you make sure you really want to engage before calling it out!!!
    This is an interesting take on shooting. In a war people aim at and shoot and then consider range. You know that nasty old Adrenaline and being in the heat of the moment thing. I think I like this aspect.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    This is a good house rule when using limited ammo. As most of the guys I play with always want to be within half a ruler when engaging the enemy. You don't want to waste a shot and give out
    one damage card when you can give them two.

Tom
    Completely agree with your point here.

I like. Good rule.

I like this addition! It adds realism without sacrificing the speed and ease of play. Cant wait to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    We also play that if its on the line its a long shot and if its at the end of the stick its a miss. We play gentlemen rules, meaning it has to be a clearly clean shot. When in doubt its out.

Tom
    With you on the line, but the end of the stick seems a bit harsh. The one time it happened here we allowed it because the ruler is not a measure of how far the bullets can travel but how close a pilot would get to ensure a good probability of an effective hit.

djb2000

when playing a game with limited ammo, how many shots do you norallmy give each plane?

Quote Originally Posted by djb2000 View Post
    when playing a game with limited ammo, how many shots do you norallmy give each plane?
    Eight and hope they are not all zeros

I like the idea of this in principle but I think I've always liked the auto-fire nature of WoW - it is simple and it is nice and mechanical - move minis, measure, deal damage, next move. My rule of thumb for choosing rules is to choose rules which minimise the "oops hang on, I forgot to..." moments of which WoW has very few, one of its strengths compared with most other wargames.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarley View Post
    I like the idea of this in principle but I think I've always liked the auto-fire nature of WoW - it is simple and it is nice and mechanical - move minis, measure, deal damage, next move. My rule of thumb for choosing rules is to choose rules which minimise the "oops hang on, I forgot to..." moments of which WoW has very few, one of its strengths compared with most other wargames.
    We just did a game with 8 shots each. After the game we looked at what each started with and he had enough to shoot me down from long range. I didn't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1888.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	18339
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1890.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	18340

But I did shoot him down. Thanks to the explosion card. His other 6 cards were 3,3,3,2,1 and 0. Now we both passed up long range shots to get in close and make the shot count. Sense we both didn't know what our damage shots were during the game, it makes us more cautious with our shots.

We both liked the twist it gave to the battle.

Tom