Ares Games
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Full-Color 3D Prints (RAF)

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    Do these (and other shapeways aircraft) come fitted with a peg?
    All my full-color ones have a WoG-style flight peg. My uncolored models do not, since a good number of people willing to put in the time to paint and decal a model have alternative methods for mounting the planes. There are sets of pegs available on Shapeways though, or you can download the STL file if you have a 3D printer.

Other Shapeways modelers differ on whether to include a peg... some do, some don't. You can rotate a 3D model on the Shapeways page if you're not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    I got some more full-color test prints from Shapeways and I'm pretty happy with them:

Attachment 310271 Attachment 310272

Attachment 310273 Attachment 310274
    Does this mean you will be able to sell them on Shapeways soon instead of Etsy?
    The colours look much richer in the models you just posted.

Alas, no movement on Shapeways allowing direct sales of that material. It would sure be nice to cut all the Etsy added costs off the products.

As for colors, maybe it's just the lighting? Though I did reduce the weathering on some of the wing colors.

All my full-color ones have a WoG-style flight peg. My uncolored models do not, since a good number of people willing to put in the time to paint and decal a model have alternative methods for mounting the planes. There are sets of pegs available on Shapeways though, or you can download the STL file if you have a 3D printer.

Other Shapeways modelers differ on whether to include a peg... some do, some don't. You can rotate a 3D model on the Shapeways page if you're not sure.
    Thanks for the info.

I'm happy to announce the availability of full-color Fokker Triplane models! I started with these four:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokDr1-Jacobs.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	310477 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokDr1-Raben.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	310478 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokDr1-Voss-olive.jpg 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	310479 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokDr1-Voss-yellow.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	310480

There is some debate about whether Voss' plane had the factory streaked-olive paint or whether the cowl and wheels would have been repainted in Jasta 10 chromium yellow, so I included both and I'll let you decide.

More paint schemes will follow, e.g. Lörzer, Papenmayer, Preiß, Stark, but I'm not sure which and in what order.

Oh man...

Great models, Daryl!

Fantastic!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

JOY! I guess I will be spending more money! Who needs to eat lunch anyways!

Can I cast a vote for Papenmayer.

I'm happy to announce the availability of full-color Fokker Triplane models! I started with these four:

Name:	FokDr1-Jacobs.jpg 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	310477 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokDr1-Raben.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	310478 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokDr1-Voss-olive.jpg 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	310479 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokDr1-Voss-yellow.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	310480

There is some debate about whether Voss' plane had the factory streaked-olive paint or whether the cowl and wheels would have been repainted in Jasta 10 chromium yellow, so I included both and I'll let you decide.

More paint schemes will follow, e.g. Lörzer, Papenmayer, Preiß, Stark, but I'm not sure which and in what order.
    Appears there isn't much you cannot do with that monster printer. Any thought to doing 4 aircraft in a group release from the same Jasta? (Option to buy individually of course). I'd propose some, but everyone has their favorites...........

Quote Originally Posted by Brak Morn View Post
    Any thought to doing 4 aircraft in a group release from the same Jasta? (Option to buy individually of course). I'd propose some, but everyone has their favorites...........
    I don't think Shapeways pricing would give much of a price break to printing two or more full-color prints at a time, unlike some of the other materials. So it would be strictly for marketing reasons. You could put together your own bundle of, say, Jasta 18 planes though.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Can I cast a vote for Papenmayer.
    I moved it to the front of the queue. I have a question, though.

At this time, Jasta Boelcke (2) planes had their horizontal tail surfaces painted black on one side and white on the other. Most of the paintings of Papenmeyer's plane -- all from the left -- show the left fuselage rear as white (from the side crosses back). Here's a link to an example: http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Profiles/images/WB_214_17.jpg

Yet this photo...with Papenmeyer's plane in the foreground... clearly shows the fuselage rear -- aft of the side-cross -- as a dark color. Was the fuselage rear painted in the same way as the horizontal tail plane... white on the left side and black on the right side? Is that how the Ares Kempf is done?

Name:	J2Triplanes.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	310516

Inquiring minds want to know!

Name:	TrekBWFaces.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	310517

The Kempf and Baumer Fokker Dr.I have the Black on the rights side of the wing and white on the left side of the wing.

As for the part of the plane under the wing. Here are the two Ares Jasta 2 models from their website.

Name:	800x600_ww1-wings-of-glory_WGF104D.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	310518

Name:	800x600_ww1-wings-of-glory_WGF104E.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	310519

Looks like other model builders and artists have white on the left fuselage and black on the right fuselage.
    Last edited by camelbeagle; 02-20-2022 at 00:39. Reason: remove material

Interesting... on Baumer they painted the region in question black but on Kempf they just left it streaked-olive.

Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	310523

Interesting... on Baumer they painted the region in question black but on Kempf they just left it streaked-olive.

Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	310523
    Well, they sure did. HHmm.....looks like the Baumer has the white and black. The Kempf looks like he could be olive streak on both sides.

Flying Helmet has researched Jasta 2 quite a bit. Maybe he may have a good answer.
    Last edited by camelbeagle; 02-20-2022 at 00:40.

Flying Helmet has researched Jasta 2 quite a bit. Maybe he may have a good answer.
    Thanks for the nod!

Unfortunately, I haven't got as far as the introduction of the Fokkers - I'm currently mired in mid-'17, figuring out the Albatros D.III/D.V switch-over.

After a quick skim through Osprey's Aviation Elite 26 - "Jagdstaffel 2 'Boelcke; every single photograph and every single colour Profile shows either black or white fuselage sides beneath the horizontal stabilisers, on both the Fokker Dr.1 and the Fokker D.VII.

Kempf flew at least 2 different Fokker Dr.1s with Jasta 'Boelcke', and these underwent changes to their Staffel schemes and personal identification, so it is possible that there was a triplane with "Fokker streaky" extending back to the rudder, but I can't find any pictorial or written evidence without embarking on an in-depth search.

My immediate conclusion is that 'Ares' have made a mistake - the "Fokker streaky" on the minis is probably incorrect.

So too is that jpg 3-view in Camelbeagle's post above.

More research needed.
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 01-11-2022 at 14:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Thanks for the nod!

Unfortunately, I haven't got as far as the introduction of the Fokkers - I'm currently mired in mid-'17, figuring out the Albatros D.III/D.V switch-over.

After a quick skim through Osprey's Aviation Elite 26 - "Jagdstaffel 2 'Boelcke; every single photograph and every single colour Profile shows either black or white fuselage sides beneath the horizontal stabilisers, on both the Fokker Dr.1 and the Fokker D.VII.

Kempf flew at least 2 different Fokker Dr.1s with Jasta 'Boelcke', and these underwent changes to their Staffel schemes and personal identification, so it is possible that there was a triplane with "Fokker streaky" extending back to the rudder, but I can't find any pictorial or written evidence without embarking on an in-depth search.

My immediate conclusion is that 'Ares' have made a mistake - the "Fokker streaky" on the minis is probably incorrect.

So too is that jpg 3-view in Camelbeagle's post above.

More research needed.
    Interesting. Perfect proof that the internet is not always correct!

Interesting. Perfect proof that the internet is not always correct!
    Indeed!

It seems to be wrong as often as not; only about a 50% accuracy rate...

I haven't seen any photo of Kempf's streaky tail Dr1. Besides ARES, Corgi also makes/made a Kempf model with the streaky tail. Unfortunately the latest Aeronaut book on the Fokker Dr1 has nothing on it. I have found a web site that has 2 photos with Kempf's Dr1, one each with a black/white, white/black tail, not streaky.

Name:	C022.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	310530

Name:	C066.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	310531

Those Triplanes are looking good! I ordered mine. Much anticipation for them to arrive!

Thanks! I'm enjoying the "painting" of them enough that I'm able to publish new paint schemes pretty often. For example, I figured it would be pretty hard to paint or decal the diamond-band and struts on Frommherz's Dr.I, so that pushed it up higher on the list. Plus I'm a Jasta Boelcke fan.

It helps a lot that it is winter here and most of my other distractions have faded away with the cold weather.

Ditto! Jasta Boelcke fan as well! Looks like I will be buying another Dr.I!!!!!!

Thanks! I'm enjoying the "painting" of them enough that I'm able to publish new paint schemes pretty often. For example, I figured it would be pretty hard to paint or decal the diamond-band and struts on Frommherz's Dr.I, so that pushed it up higher on the list. Plus I'm a Jasta Boelcke fan.

It helps a lot that it is winter here and most of my other distractions have faded away with the cold weather.
    Please don't add them too quickly - I can't keep up!

The schemes I would like to see (and purchase) are Albatros D.III/D.V and Pfalz D.III/IIIa with multiple rings around the fuselage; these are almost impossible to paint, or to decal using stripes, around the "conical" fuselages.

Please don't add them too quickly - I can't keep up!

The schemes I would like to see (and purchase) are Albatros D.III/D.V and Pfalz D.III/IIIa with multiple rings around the fuselage; these are almost impossible to paint, or to decal using stripes, around the "conical" fuselages.
    Yes, the stripping around the fuselage is quite a pain to do!

I also love the Jasta 11 Fokker Dr.I. The Ltn Werner Steinhauser paint schemes are pretty neat!
    Last edited by camelbeagle; 01-14-2022 at 06:11.

I'm working on Hanriot HD.1's. Does anyone have a photo or drawing of the top wings of Olieslagers' or de Muelemeester's HD.1's? I only seem to be able to find side views, and my references on Belgian planes are pretty sparse.

There are pictures in the Belgium Air Service

Guntruck did a nice card for it.
    Last edited by camelbeagle; 02-20-2022 at 00:41.

Thanks! The old Windsock Datafile for the Hanriot HD.1 has a layout for the 5-color French camouflage on an HD.1, so if I can determine that any of those plane used it, I can do those wings with confidence. I suspect that if the sides were camouflaged, the wings would have been too.

The hard one is Olieslagers' No.8 with the side-stripes. That one looks like a solid dark color to me, with some silver-white on the inboard part of the lower wing.

The hard one is Olieslagers' No.8 with the side-stripes. That one looks like a solid dark color to me, with some silver-white on the inboard part of the lower wing.
    The Belgians often overpainted the upper surfaces of the wings in a single dark olive green (sometimes, but not always, obliterating the roundels).
    This was most commonly seen on the Nieuport 17s/23s in Belgian service. In the case of the N.23 at least, the "factory" aluminium dope was left untouched on the lower wing upper surface where it was adjacent to the fuselage; 2 or 3 wing ribs at least.
    See my Belgian Nieuport 23s for colour photos!

Thanks! The old Windsock Datafile for the Hanriot HD.1 has a layout for the 5-color French camouflage on an HD.1, so if I can determine that any of those plane used it, I can do those wings with confidence. I suspect that if the sides were camouflaged, the wings would have been too.

Trying to find some pictures of actual planes.

I see model kits built of Coppens and De Meulemeester. The interpretation is that their planes had a standard camo scheme. The wheels, engine cowl, and tails had some personal coloring.

The Olieslagers looked like he striped the top of the fuselage with a green and white/silver patter. The tail and engine cowl had a similar pattern.

Will keep looking for some actual pictures.

I was looking at the same book and photos as Chris. Not much help as you can't make out anything from the few photos there.

I just published a new full-color plane type for 3D printing: the Hanriot H.D.1!

I started with these four. I'm sure there will be more over coming weeks, especially some extra Italian models and the green-and-white marked Belgian model (which I think is another of Olieslagers', but I'm not 100% sure.)

Name:	HanHD1-Baracchini.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	310754 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HanHD1-72a.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	310755 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HanHD1-Meulemeester.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	310756 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HanHD1-Olieslagers-8.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	310757

It was interesting reading about Baracchini, who had a remarkable career given he only flew for about two seasons due to injuries.

And even though 72Ş Squadriglia wasn't very prominent, I've always liked their Lion of St. Mark logo. I've even got some of those painted up at 1:285 scale. (Older references have the lion in red, but some modern references prefer black, and I agree. The lion in black&white photos looks darker than any of the roundel and fin colors.)

Got my latest prints.

Albatros D.III Allemroder
    I wasn't sure how I would like this one. Now that I have it in hand I really like it.

Name:	DSC00492.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	310859

Fokker Dr.I Werner Voss
    I am really happy with this one. The eyes on the engine cowl are quite menacing!

Name:	DSC00504.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	310860

Name:	DSC00506.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	310861

Fokker Dr.I Joseph Jacobs
    Really happy with this one as well.

Name:	DSC00507.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	310862

Name:	DSC00509.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	310863

Wow, they are beautifull. Realy worth it.

Loverly, loverly Albatros. REP sent

Nice! Thanks for the photos -- I hadn't seen those yet.

Oh, wow, they are just so good.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hmmm, those look good, Dan. Makes me feel happier about buying two Hanriots...can't wait to see them!!

Just when I think I've got all the ones I want, Daryl creates more!

Just when I think I've got all the ones I want, Daryl creates more!

Same Here!

I want that Albatros

Thanks again to our own OldGuy59 for the Allmenröder paint scheme!

Happy Birthday to me...

Name:	20220203_210007.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	311023

...Happy Birthday to me...

Name:	20220203_210040.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	311024

...Happy Birthday to me-ee...

Name:	20220203_205923.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	311025

...Happy Birthday to me!

Name:	20220203_205943.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	311026

where did you get those?

Happy Birthday Tim! Looks like a nice set of presents!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Shapeways planes in full color?
    By ReducedAirFact in forum 3D printed Models
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 02-15-2024, 06:21
  2. WGF Color: German Five-Color Top Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2018, 10:27
  3. WGF Color: German Four-Color Bottom Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings