Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM Mission 1 -- Back to Front -- 5th July 1916--gully_raker

Default OTT CYM Mission 1 -- Back to Front -- 5th July 1916--gully_raker

Foreword

Lt. Reginald Fife-Brand, Flight Commander of "C" Flight 52 Sqd known as "the Bulldogs" smiled as he banked his brand new DH-2 fighter over Bentangles Aerodrome. He glanced to each side & gave the "thumbs up" sign to 2nd Lt Dusty Rhodes & Flight Sgt. Brandon Stark who were also flying new De Havilands. It felt almost like coming home after his flight had been on furlough in Blighty followed by some advanced fighter training. Now they would be joining the other flights & squadrons based at Bentangles to give it to the old Hun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Aerodrome (3).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	283879

He was also aware that awaiting them on the ground were two ex French Nieuport 16's which had been sent from St Omer for evaluation in preparation for the expected supply of the newer N17 that the RFC had ordered. He hoped they came soon as the Germans had already started to receive supplies of their new Biplane fighter the Halberstadt.
    The two N 16's had been flown in by 2nd Lt Jon Snow & a new replacement Sgt Allan Foyle. It seemed the aircraft had been equipped with rockets which the French used to attack Balloons. He was not sure what they would do with those.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR N 16 2.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 7.9 KB  ID: 283880" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR N 16 3.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 12.8 KB  ID: 283881" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

2nd Lt Jon Snow Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 2nd Lt Jon Snow.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 4.4 KB  ID: 283882" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Sgt Allan "Al" Foyle Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sgt Al foyle 3.jpg  Views: 34  Size: 6.4 KB  ID: 283884" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Meanwhile over on the other side of the lines at the Eagles Nest Obltn. Caul-August Schwartz strolled around the new Halberstadt D.II fighter that had just arrived at his Aerodrome.
    It was a sleek looking biplane finished in a pale gray & fitted with a 120HP Mercedes engine promised to be a step forward from the Fokker Eindekkers his Kette had been flying for so long. He could not wait to see how it performed against the British pusher aircraft. Tomorrow he would find out!

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Halberstadt D.II side.jpg  Views: 35  Size: 56.3 KB  ID: 283885" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Mission

Early the next morning Fife-Brand accompanied by Rhodes & Brandon Stark who was the flights only Ace with 6 victories climbed into their DH-2's which had been numbered C1 through to C3 on their top wings. Stark had C2 & Dusty C3. They would patrol towards the front line to check out any developments & seek an opportunity to engage any enemy aircraft they encountered.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 01.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 142.0 KB  ID: 283886" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Obltn Schwartz would soon get his wish as he led his Kette of 3 additional Fokker E.III's with Ltns Richard Arntzen in a Green Fokker, Ltn. Wilhelm Thede in a plain CDL plane & Ltn Gerhard Brunig in a Dark Gray one. Off in the distance he spied 3 of the British "lattice tails" & he liked the odds so signalling to his pilots they flew on to give battle.

Soon the two groups of aircraft converged to shooting range

Fife-Brand exchanges shots with Thede & Brandon did the same with the Kette leader & although Schwarts damaged the De Haviland's rudder Stark hit the Mercedes engine.
    Schwartz cursed "Verdammit! Gottdammerang!*@*#*" I cant believe this! My first engagement & I get my beautiful new Mercedes engine hit by an upstart Englander!"

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 02.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 176.9 KB  ID: 283887" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The aircraft now passed through each other & no other planes were in firing range.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 03.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 143.8 KB  ID: 283888" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The two groups of aircraft manoeuvred for advantage in an almost Ballet dance & Stark took a shot at Arntzens green Fokker but missed.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 04.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 165.6 KB  ID: 283889" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Brunig exchanged shots with Dusty & Reg & he came out the winner as neither British aircraft scored but he dealt some good damage to the Flight leaders plane.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 05.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 181.5 KB  ID: 283890" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The aircraft again separated & Thede got a damaging shot on Dusty's rudder. Obltn Schwartz had turned back towards the Eagles Nest nursing the damaged Mercedes engine which was sounding like it had a handful of loose nuts inside!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 07.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 128.6 KB  ID: 283891" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

He closed & tried another shot but missed.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 08.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 113.3 KB  ID: 283892" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Brandon Stark fired at the green E.III but did no damage. "How could I have missed him at that range" muttered Brandon.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 09.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 159.8 KB  ID: 283893" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Thede continued to harass Dusty but only succeeded in jamming his Spandau whilst Fife-Brand gave the German pilot something to think about.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 10.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 162.4 KB  ID: 283894" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The British Flight Commander closed on the Fokker & dealt it a damaging burst, damaging both its rudder & engine. He himself was attacked by the grey E.III but it caused no damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 12.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 151.1 KB  ID: 283895" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Arntzen & Stark exchanged long range shots but neither achieved much result!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 13.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 164.7 KB  ID: 283896" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Thede turned towards home with his misfiring engine as the other aircraft continued to maneuver.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 14.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 156.1 KB  ID: 283897" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Fife-Brand got a long range shot on the green Fokker but did little damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 15.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 172.1 KB  ID: 283898" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As Thede made for home he took an opportunistic shot at Dusty Rhodes but only succeeded in jamming his gun whilst Dusty did a little bit of damage to the Fokker.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 16.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 181.3 KB  ID: 283899" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

With the last shots from his Lewis guns drum Dusty wounded the pilot of the Grey Fokker whilst Brunig had his gun jam.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 17.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 168.2 KB  ID: 283900" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Further away from that action Stark & Fife-Brand had cornered Arntzen's green E.III & with a lucky shot Reg set the Fokker on fire!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 18.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 171.7 KB  ID: 283901" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The unfortunate Arntzen was now the only German aircraft left in the sky as the other 3 who had been forced to return to base with damaged engines or a wounded pilot had made their escape safely.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 19.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 176.9 KB  ID: 283902" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The 3 aircraft narrowly avoided a collision while back on the far side of the Trenches the two Nieuport 16's made an appearance & headed towards the action.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 20.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 152.6 KB  ID: 283903" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 21.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 154.2 KB  ID: 283904" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Fife-Brand & Stark continued to dog Arntzen's burning Fokker causing more damage but the fire had not increased in intensity to the German pilots relief!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 22.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 186.4 KB  ID: 283905" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Brandon Stark took over the chase but had a number 2 jam to his Lewis gun which put paid to his chance of another victory & Arntzen realised discretion was the better part of valour & seeing the other 2 approaching allied aircraft broke off & fled for home leaving the British aircraft in complete control of the skies.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 23.jpg  Views: 37  Size: 177.0 KB  ID: 283906" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 24.jpg  Views: 36  Size: 187.8 KB  ID: 283907" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Result: British Victory-- 4 German Aircraft forced to return to base = 8 points
    Germans NIL points.

Thoughts & Observations: Well that was a lot of fun! A good set too between Fighters for a change.
    Felt sorry for the jolly old Hun as he could not take a trick in a game where most damage draws were very low scores but he copped the engine damages, WIA & finally a Fire.
    I thought I was never going to bring on the Nieuports as there were No Booms or Smoke & only got the Fire damage at the very end.
    Unusual as well there were no Kills by either side.
    I missed a couple of +1's for both sides which cancelled out any advantage.
    Arntzen was very lucky to FRBF with only one damage point remaining!
    Last edited by flash; 03-30-2020 at 02:13. Reason: Title adjust

Last edited by flash; 03-24-2020 at 02:31. Reason: Tally correction

What a rout for your Bulldogs, Baz.

Any luck our Adlers had was bad ...

The Nieuports had barely gotten airborne when it were all over bar shoutin'

Nice welcome back to the campaign for you - let's see what we can do next outing ...

P.S. I recognize your Jon Snow. His doppelganger finally bought it in his 12th outing in The Bitter End mission 17 as SE.5a pilot Lt Thomas Davies, one kill short of ace

Lovely drop of action Baz, most enjoyable. I see you didn't follow the game set up but it doesn't seem to have had an adverse effect on the contact, other than the Germans should have exited from the Industrial side of the mat !
    Glad you had fun with it even if your boys didn't bag any victories this time - I know the feeling !

Uncle says:

Well done chaps - saw the Hun off and all got back in one piece without too much work for the fitters tonight. You've put a marker down, next time we'll have to see if you can bag one or two. I'll stand the first round
    Last edited by flash; 03-24-2020 at 02:45.

"He is wise who watches"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    What a rout for your Bulldogs, Baz.

Any luck our Adlers had was bad ...

The Nieuports had barely gotten airborne when it were all over bar shoutin'

Nice welcome back to the campaign for you - let's see what we can do next outing ...

P.S. I recognize your Jon Snow. His doppelganger finally bought it in his 12th outing in The Bitter End mission 17 as SE.5a pilot Lt Thomas Davies, one kill short of ace
    Thanks Pete. Sad to hear of Lt. T Davies demise & so close to making Ace!

Agree with Pete - a rout, but no kills awarded. Maybe next time.

I had the same problem doing this mission for the Italian campaign. Wolfgang sent one Entente plane packing with an engine hit, but even with an engine hit it's hard to catch those SPAD XIII. One more SPAD got a fire damage card and with 3 hits left only drew 2 points for fire damage. There was one last long shot of a third SPAD leaving the mat and drew a 0. All of that and left still one kill short of 10 for a double ace.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Lovely drop of action Baz, most enjoyable. I see you didn't follow the game set up but it doesn't seem to have had an adverse effect on the contact, other than the Germans should have exited from the Industrial side of the mat !
    Glad you had fun with it even if your boys didn't bag any victories this time - I know the feeling !

Uncle says:

Well done chaps - saw the Hun off and all got back in one piece without too much work for the fitters tonight. You've put a marker down, next time we'll have to see if you can bag one or two. I'll stand the first round
    Yeah Dave I realised that when I was checking something in the BRF hard copy I have during the game. Sorry about that but the end result would not have changed.

May have changed the approach & maybe the exit a little Baz, that's all, you had a good scrap that's the main thing.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    May have changed the approach & maybe the exit a little Baz, that's all, you had a good scrap that's the main thing.
    Thanks Dave.
    It was great to be back at the front after the lay off.
    With the Fires & other stuff did not have much time for gaming anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

With the Fires & other stuff did not have much time for gaming anyway.
    It's certainly been a year, hasn't it?
    And we are not out of the first quarter ...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    It's certainly been a year, hasn't it?
    And we are not out of the first quarter ...
    You are not wrong!
    2020 will certainly be a year I will remember for all the wrong reasons!

Annus horribilis indeed, can only hope 2021 is a annus mirabilis.

"He is wise who watches"

Well well, your Bulldogs sure sent the Hun home with their tails between their legs. No kills but a strong showing. The boys will have to get those N16s in earlier to test them out next time.

Great stuff Baz - a bloodless victory (apart from a minor wound or so)! What a refreshing change. Well played.

Glad to see you back, too, after all your trials and tribulations with fires. And now I guess, like the rest of us, you are confined to barracks . I believe the entire population of the world will be only too glad to see the back of 2020 But thanks for coming up with the photos, elsewhere on the site. Good for morale that
    Take care now,
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {ShadowDragon}
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 14:12
  2. AAR OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Flash Back to Front - 5th July 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 12:31
  3. AAR OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back To Front - July 5th 1916 - teaticket