Ares Games

Thread: Bovington Tank Museum _ Show on

Default Bovington Tank Museum _ Show on

As Steve (Guntruck) said on another thread -
    There is a 1day show on July 13th. Any clubs wishing to put on a game should contact the organiser s.meecham@talktalk.net
    So I have done that and already received the application form, which will be cmpleted and posted today. If I can get to the post box ok - Really silly, but I knelt to take a photo yesterday and overstretched the tendon in my right toe - result two weeks of hobbling about like an ageing gnome in not a little discomfort Silly me

I shall repost a few comments from the other thread below, just as a reminder of what is going on.

OK all - there's good news and there is bad news. The good news is - I only have to fill in two forms: one with my name and that of the drome, brief details of the game we put on and a table size request; the other a "Trader/ Exhibitor risk assessment" form which states that 1. All "staff involved have been advised over manual handling good practice and are capable of setting up our stand unassisted and without excessive excursion (yes, it says excursion!!) 2. Any combustible materials on the stand which could promote fire spread beyond the point of ignition such as paper/cardboard, bottled LPG etc have been identified and reasonable measures have been carried out to reduce the risk of them being involved in an incident. 3. All aspects of the stand are secure when displayed and covered by a manufacturer's warrenty and / or safety certificate. Copies of this document will be available to view during the event. (I assume this doesn't apply as we shall use their tables.) 4. All items for sale blah blah ....ok doesn't apply to us. 5. Ditto 4, only about prohibited stock items. 6. This does not apply either as it is about required PAT testing on equipment requiring electricity. 7. I have sufficient bin bags for refuse and will leave my pitch space as found, Please note museum bins not to be used to discard our rubbish There then follows a table to complete in order to note any further risks associated with our table e.g it falling over and the level of risk associated with it.

And that's the good news

Now the bad news - which I am assured is beyond the control of the organizer - only two free tickets can be issued per game. Any additional "staff" must pay to get in at the normal museum entrance ticket rate.

OK guys - on that basis, who is in and do you want me to proceed? I am prepared to fill in this risk assessment and provide all the kit including a bin bag and therefore want one of the tickets. But personally I don't think this is a two man job - it needs four (happy to accept this may be wrong), otherwise it would mean long hours with no break. So, if anyone just happens to have a season ticket, that would help, otherwise two folk need to agree to pay and one to have the remaining ticket. Unless we all share the cost of the extra two tickets.

Feedback appreciated Chau for now.

Rabscallion has already replied and is in, as has Dave (Flash) who hopefully will take over the event if my wife's hip op is moved and I'm needed elsewhere. Otherwise, I'm also in - Tim is a possible but cannot firm up this early. More always more than welcome

Details will follow once the application is accepted.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 04-11-2019 at 04:26.

Nice one Mike - See the museum still likes to put in obstacles !
    Hope your injury heals quickly mate.

"He is wise who watches"

Hope your injury heals quickly mate.
    Thanks Dave. Its a pretty minor injury but a ruddy nuisance just the same

Sorry to hear of your accident. The minor ones are often the most annoying. Just don't try to do too much on it.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    As Steve (Guntruck) said on another thread -

So I have done that and already received the application form, which will be cmpleted and posted today. If I can get to the post box ok - Really silly, but I knelt to take a photo yesterday and overstretched the tendon in my right toe - result two weeks of hobbling about like an ageing gnome in not a little discomfort Silly me

I shall repost a few comments from the other thread below, just as a reminder of what is going on.
    I've heard some good excuses for not taking the dog out for a walk in the rain but "Darling, I've overstretched my tendon in my big toe" takes the biscuit. I didn't even know we had tendons in our big toes!

Hope it heals soon

I didn't even know we had tendons in our big toes!
    Yea its a pretty feeble excuse According to the nurse I saw, we have two tendons for each toe, except the big toe, where we have just the one. Believe me, its bl**dy painful

Yea its a pretty feeble excuse According to the nurse I saw, we have two tendons for each toe, except the big toe, where we have just the one. Believe me, its bl**dy painful
    Another of the joy's in store available to the more mature gentlemen pilots on the Forum. It will certainly slow down those fast starboard turns when you can't kick the rudder bar because your big toe hurts. I look forward to it with trepidation.

You'll have to start driving two seaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

You'll have to start driving two seaters....

You'll have to start driving two seaters.
    With Yon as observer to keep me in order I suppose

Anyway - back to the main purpose of this thread - I'm still awaiting feedback from my application, so watch this space

Mike. Happy to volunteer and pay for the privilege.

Just an update guys. I still haven't heard a ****ie bird from the organizer. I e mailed him again last week, politely (I hope) asking for confirmation, but nothing. Dave Fowler (Flash) has suggested we just rock up anyway - I'll bring all the necessary kit, then if we can have a table all is good. If not then we just have a lovely day in a great place. How about it guys - everyone happy with that plan?

Just an update guys. I still haven't heard a ****ie bird from the organizer. I e mailed him again last week, politely (I hope) asking for confirmation, but nothing.
    Welcome to my world

Just an update guys. I still haven't heard a ****ie bird from the organizer. I e mailed him again last week, politely (I hope) asking for confirmation, but nothing. Dave Fowler (Flash) has suggested we just rock up anyway - I'll bring all the necessary kit, then if we can have a table all is good. If not then we just have a lovely day in a great place. How about it guys - everyone happy with that plan?
    Works for me

Just recently, I overheard a discussion between the Comox Valley Air Force Museum Association President and the Program Director/Volunteer Coordinator concerning the annual appearance of a booth at the local Courtenay Canada Day event in a city park. This has been going on for quite a few years, but this year's application process had a new wrinkle. The Museum application had to include documentation indicating a liability insurance coverage of a minimum of $1 Million Cdn.

The Museum doesn't have that for things not on Government Property, nor in Government buildings or vehicles. The coverage wouldn't include public parks, as that is something the city should cover, being it's property.

So, this is the city saving itself insurance costs, or lawyers, in the event someone is injured by tripping over a guy wire on our booth and sueing the city. Now we have to deal with that.

I'd have to say that it would put a bit of a damper on my promotion of Wings of Glory games if I had to provide that documentation for conventions at which I make appearances, but...

It is sad that the Bovington Museum is limiting admissions for staff of booths, but I can see their point. Some booths might pad their staff for a 'free' day, despite that the staff would have to do something at the event, if even just for set-up and tear-down.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

As far as I know it's still on. I will have a word with Pete Valinski at Entoyment as he has a connection with the event (and sounds like he will be taking it on next year), might be able to drop in on him today or tomorrow with any luck. I will update you later if I do.
    Last edited by flash; 05-29-2019 at 23:43.

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers guys ( Mike and Dave) - interesting take on things Mike. It s now the way of things - insurance cover required for everything!!!

Dave, Thanks. I'd forgotten about Pete's involvement. Yea, it would be great if he can enlighten us. Give him my regards if you see him

Pete's gone up to Brum for the Expo so I will speak to him next week but Andy seems to think its all on still, just that the bloke running it is not tech savvy.

"He is wise who watches"

A Stewart (anyone know who this is?) has just posted a list of traders on The Miniatures Page so I guess it’s on.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Evening everyone,
    I've heard back from Stewart Meecham (the organiser) and we are all booked in
    See you there if not before. I'll put up a reminder nearer the time, but for now - in the diary - one day event - 13th July 2019 - Bovington Tank museum - WW1 participation event - I'll provide the gear but bring whatever you fancy.
    Thanks Dave for following this one up - no need to trouble Pete about this one now though
    Laters all
    Mike

No worries mate - apparently Stewart's a regular at Entoyment so I asked Andy to have a word if he saw him, maybe he did ?!

"He is wise who watches"

Looking forward to it

cheers

Looking promising for me, too.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

OK guys. Plan A is still on at the moment. AM1 is back in the hangar and starting her recovery. She is insisting I can be at Bovington on Saturday, but I'll have to wait until Friday, to see what progress she has made, before I commit. Plan A is - I turn up with all of the necessary WW1 gear. Plan B calls for a volunteer to provide a backup. Sorry to leave it so late but needs must.

By the way, personally I am now almost fully recovered. Just a few more days as chief cook and bottle washer, up and down the stairs fifty times a day, and I'll be fighting fit again

Chau for the mo,

Mike

Looking forward to plan A Mike, if not we should have it covered between us !
    What time would you like us there, doors open to public at ten usually, would nine do ?

"He is wise who watches"

I think nine would be just perfect Dave. Thanks

Got a feeling the museum doesn't let anyone in until 0900 anyway, so we'll meet you all in the car park just before that.

"He is wise who watches"

OK that's good. I can confirm I shall be there. A friend of Yon's is stepping in and acting as carer for most of the day. Yon reckons she doesn't really need help anyway - yea right!!!

Dave Batho and his daughter Eva will be joining us again this year. Eva has promised to show us all how to play wings

See yopu all at 9.00 am Saturday

Have a good one then chaps. I will be Royalist bashing at Kimbolton.
    Rob.

Cheers Rob - ah yes - Royalist bashing - good days they were. Then share a beer or three with them afterwards Have fun.

All set for tomorrow at Bovington - looking forward to it

See you chaps there soon.

"He is wise who watches"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Have a great time today, Dave, with the other folks! I look forward to pictures later...

All the best,
    Matt

Thanks Matt - we had a good time, how could we not !
    Big thanks to Mike for organising this one and for Tim & Andy for coming along to support this resurrected show - hopefully Entoyment will pick it up and run it from next year.
    I didn't get many pics as I was cream crackered from a family incident the night before but here is what I got:

We sat down to get the ball rolling and were quickly joined by some local chaps looking to have a go - Nick & Simon (either side of Tim) game at Entoyment and had already noted our upcoming game day on the 17th August.
    me and mike managed to kill each other quite quickly and the rest of the chaps and miss had quite the bun fight !
    Name:  SAM_1028.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  190.3 KB

A father & son team from Bristol joined us in the afternoon, they played last year & bought some planes after so keen to get stuck in again. They joined Tim on the German side and took on me Ajay & Dave.
    Name:  SAM_1029.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  192.3 KB Name:  SAM_1030.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  189.0 KB

The son made an art of combat avoidance (out of frame to left) I'm in the Camel left side about to turn in on the dad in the Weber Albatros, Andy is getting hammered by Tim in 'Steffi' Albatros & Dave is in the new MacLaren Camel (very nice by the way)
    Name:  SAM_1031.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  199.9 KB

A few moves later, having rammed Tim out of the sky & getting a couple of decent shots on the Dad's Albatros (and his lad being of little help) me and the lads gang up on him - he didn't last much longer !
    Name:  SAM_1032.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  181.8 KB

We then set about the youngster and he was dispatched by Andy with a boom card off the fire - all three Camel's survived so we got a pic of our damage (Dave top, Andy left mine right)
    Name:  SAM_1035.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  177.1 KB Name:  SAM_1034.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  198.7 KB

and got a smug shot of my happy wingmen !
    Name:  SAM_1036.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  186.1 KB

One of our GM too - Mike
    Name:  SAM_1033.JPG
Views: 436
Size:  187.5 KB

All good fun, see you chaps at Devizes next week if all goes to plan
    Last edited by flash; 07-14-2019 at 09:34.

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers Dave - it was a real fun day. I forget how many times I got shot down, but it was quite a few. Have to say it - the ace of the day was Tim, with at least four if not five kills, flying a variety of "Steffi"s (see above), although he was eventually taken down once I believe Not by me I hasten to add!

Our table was a little isolated, in the main Tank room, but never the less, we had a good steady stream of gamers join us. And they all seemed to have a really enjoyable time. That's the bit I like most - when the punters go away happy

Thanks to Dave, Andy and Tim for their support and to my mate Dave and his daughter Eva too. Good to share such a positive experience with you all I'll get round to posting a couple more pics tomorrow I hope.

Chau for now,

Mike

PS One of the organisers of the Yeovil show turned up and approached us, asking if we would be interested in participating in their second event in October - I shall post details later and personally will make it if I can.

M

Looks like it would have been fun to attend.

Even if you were isolated, you were surrounded by tanks! I would have been so distracted.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Absolutely Mike - its a wonderful venue Amazingly, one of the general public, from Kent (South East England), who was there as part of his family holiday, told me he only expected to find one or two tanks there!!!!!!!! He and his son were rather overawed by the whole experience - his wife looked tolerant of it

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I know I would have been distracted by the assortment of armored vehicles, too, Mike! It looks like you had a great time, Dave - once again good to see faces and match them up with names here! Were other wargames being played elsewhere in the museum? You all do look off on your own a bit...

All the best,
    Matt

Looks like a good time. What a venue for gaming!

When I used to play a lot of Battlefront WW2 15mm I was annually jealous of a group putting on games at Bovington. Now that I have moved on to Wings its happening again!

Curious like Matt, any other games being run?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Curious like Matt, any other games being run?
    There were quite a few other games, but all spread out around the three halls and link corridors.

We were quite isolated, almost as far from the main entrance as you could get!

I saw a "Cruel Seas" game, and 'Peter Pig' were playing one of their home-growns (didn't recognise it), 'Entoyment' had a "Tanks" demo, and there was a table running a dinosaur-hunting game in 28mm.
    There were probably others too.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks Tim. It sounds much more of a gaming day than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    ..It sounds much more of a gaming day than I expected.
    It is a war games event so plenty of games were put on, the layout of the tank hall we were in made most of us isolated by display boards and/or armoured vehicles so I think punters found us just be following their nose and to see what was round the corner. Had a feeling there were as many or more museum visitors than show goers but cannot quantify that. I think it will pick up again once Pete takes it up.

"He is wise who watches"

A few more pics as promised. Note the number of times a certain aircraft with "Steffi" markings is involved, both as Albatross DVa and as Fokker DrI - beautifully painted I must say. Two of a set. Very tasty. The pics cover a number of games and thanks go to the punters Simon & Nick; Dad Kevin and son Fletcher plus Dad Mark and son Andrew. It was the latter pair that came from Bristol and had played at the previous Bovington event. As said above, they then purchased a starter set from Pete of Entoyment, and have competed with one another regularly since. Dad has added to his collection as well.
    I believe it was Mark & son Fletcher who finally got Tim to draw the boom card - "Could have gone either way" was the response as Tim had generously permitted Fletcher to draw first in a head on exchange. Unlucky Tim

Name:  Bovington2019 1.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  217.4 KB Name:  Bovington2019 2.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  237.9 KB
    First pic shows the moment I got my one kill of the day, shortly before going down as a result of the fire - thanks dave

Name:  Bovington2019 3.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  235.9 KB Name:  Bovington2019 4.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  241.6 KB

Name:  Bovington2019 5.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  235.9 KB Name:  Bovington2019 6.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  199.5 KB

Name:  Bovington2019 7.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  237.0 KB Name:  Bovington2019 8.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  223.2 KB

Name:  Bovington2019 9.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  220.2 KB Name:  Bovington2019 10.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  209.9 KB

Name:  Bovington2019 11.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  231.3 KB Name:  Bovington2019 12.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  237.8 KB

Name:  Bovington2019 13.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  213.6 KB Name:  Bovington2019 14.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  229.2 KB

Name:  Bovington2019 15.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  238.5 KB Name:  Bovington2019 16.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  244.1 KB

Name:  Bovington2019 17.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  205.5 KB Name:  Bovington2019 18.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  218.5 KB

Name:  Bovington2019 19.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  240.8 KB

Note the new release too - Sopwith Camel piloted by McClaren. Nice model.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Got my McClaren from Keith last week.

Thanks for all the photos and also to you chaps for bringing another one home with honour.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-17-2019, 00:30
  2. South England Battlegroup South, Bovington Tank Museum Wargamers Show 2018
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-16-2018, 12:49
  3. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 07-07-2017, 04:27
  4. South England Bovington Show - Battlegroup South July 2 / 3 2016
    By Mickowenuk in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2016, 23:37
  5. South England Bovington show this weekend.
    By decapod in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 03:51