Ares Games

View Poll Results: If you could play only one, which would it be?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • SPAD XIII

17 8.46%
  • Sopwith Camel

25 12.44%
  • Albatross D.Va

11 5.47%
  • Fokker Dr. I

29 14.43%
  • Sopwith Snipe

5 2.49%
  • Fokker D.VII

32 15.92%
  • Nieuport 17

4 1.99%
  • Albatros D.III

6 2.99%
  • Nieuport 16

0 0%
  • R.A.F. SE5a

28 13.93%
  • Pfalz D.III

5 2.49%
  • Fokker E.III

3 1.49%
  • Halberstadt D.III

0 0%
  • Morane-Saulnier Type N

0 0%
  • Airco DH.2

2 1.00%
  • Hanriot HD.1

9 4.48%
  • Aviatik D.I

3 1.49%
  • Sopwith Triplane

6 2.99%
  • Siemens-Schuckert D.III

16 7.96%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is your favorite WGF scout to fly?

A tripehound for sentimental reasons. Otherwise a Halberstadt CL.II or Brisfit for effectiveness. Even a DH2 can fight a D.VII, not on equal terms, but with some chance in the right hands. It's just a challenge.

I voted for the D.VII, which is just a dream to fly. For balance purposes we frequently fly two D.VIIs against three allied fighters, and that usually makes for a fun and challenging game for both players.

I also really enjoy flying the Hanriot for some reason, and although I've only used it on a few occasions, I had a lot of fun with an S.E.5 the other day. The S.E.5 is fun because all its interesting cards are steep maneuvers - perhaps more so than any other plane in the game, you have to really, really think about where your opponent will be in 1-2 turns, since every other turn you'll only be able to use one steep maneuver. I love that. Also, being able to fly from one corner of the Ares battlematts to the other in basically a single turn (to the surprise and dismay of a sluggish enemy triplane) is sweet.

I was going to go with the SE5 but having never flown it and with little experience of others I've flown the spad Xiii a few times, I plumbed for the Camel, I love the tight turns so I can't wait to fly the SE5, ooh he likes a bit a tight left!

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted_terrain View Post
    I was going to go with the SE5 but having never flown it and with little experience of others I've flown the spad Xiii a few times, I plumbed for the Camel, I love the tight turns so I can't wait to fly the SE5, ooh he likes a bit a tight left!
    Well, you have to be careful about using those tight turns in the S.E.5 - they're steep maneuvers! But it is a fun little plane to fly. I wish they would reissue it so I could put together a flight from 56 Squadron without spending a small fortune!

Quote Originally Posted by horsepyre View Post
    Well, you have to be careful about using those tight turns in the S.E.5 - they're steep maneuvers! But it is a fun little plane to fly. I wish they would reissue it so I could put together a flight from 56 Squadron without spending a small fortune!
    Shapeways have one for $5.55, not too bad. http://shpws.me/o8xy I have the official 3 but will probably get a couple more of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted_terrain View Post
    Love the SE5a! Fast like a SPAD, but agile as well... fast climber and a strong diver. I can definitely see how it was considered an ace-maker. I really like the ability to decline an engagement if it gets too hairy.

The D.VII, by the way, also translates well... makes passable pilots good, and good pilots aces!

I'll take the Siemens-Schuckert D.III when the engine is running smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    I'll take the Siemens-Schuckert D.III when the engine is running smoothly.
    Fortunately, in game it always runs smoothly (until shot into )
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Love the Spad XIII. Got a flight of them in Bulldog colours to take on those Fokkers.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I can't vote, as I haven't flown them all.

My very first flight was a Snipe against a D VII. That got me hooked like crack-cocaine. I took out the D VII, but that probably had more to do with the six "0" damage cards I drew, than any skill. I haven't had any experience flying the D VII, nor do I have any of these minis at the moment (I have 3 Snipes, but no opponents, so I don't fly them. Pretty much the same with my SE5as). Also, there are too many of the other planes I haven't flown, or flown enough.

The majority of my games (solo) have been using Camels and Albatross D Vas. I have flown Dr.1s, Triplanes, SPADs, and a Forssman Triplane, but I'm most comfortable with the Camel. I can't wait to get the late planes on the table, but if I don't build some paper D VIIs, it ain't happening any time soon.

Mike

Camel for me. Played as Camels so many times because it's a good all rounder.
    Screwed if you get a right rudder jam in certain circumstances.
    Soaks up damage well and isn't too shabby on speed.

Well I love my DH2s, and I love my Camels, and I really like the Tripehound, DR1, and on it goes, which is why I have far too many minis

Always flown the SE.5a when given a choice, fast and nimble, but the Albatross DVa is such a beautiful plane (my preferred mount for Central Powers)... but I have waited for the Bristol F2b ever since the game came out.

Well Rob and I picked the Nieuport 17. I like it because it worked for me at the first Origins tournament of Wings of War/Glory. Also you really have to anticipate your enemies movements. As in the game the Nieuport is not the most maneuverable plane. Also it has style.

Thomas

A very difficult choice I could have gone with the Camel, DR1 or D.VII but I have to agree with Flying Helmut I am hooked on the Albatros DVa
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Albatros DVa - the COLOURS, man!!!! Loads and loads to choose from.
    Also, a real challenge to fly against superior Entente models (SE5a, Camel, Snipe etc)

I love playing with Camels and Snipes but if I was to choose just one it would have to be the SE5a. Good all rounder that can get you out of trouble as quick as you can get yourself into it. Like Hedeby I also have been waiting since the game came out for the Bristol F2b, I've got two so far and I'm yet to take it up for a spin, maybe on Tuesday, Pip?

it would have to be the fokker d7 for me. there are many planes i enjoy flying from scout to 2 seater to bomber but the d7 holds a special place for me as its been my favorite ww1 a/c for decades (and looks so badass). i was hardly able to express my enthusiasm when ares announced the series 2 reprints as my whole goal since being introduced to the game was acquiring a fokker d7 either by building one myself or from after market source. that made origins this year that much sweater for me.

Having only flown the Dr1 and Alb DV I must abstain, unfortunately. But if we were voting for favorite planes I would cast my votes as Pfalz DIII, Nieuport 11/16/17, and finally the Albatros, any flavor though I am partial to the DIII.
    I did enjoy piloting the Dr1, a very capable plane(I can imagine what it was like in an Ace' hands) and very fun to fly. I have one SE5 and am looking forward to flying it against my new Fokker DVII when that pre-order comes in. I just got my order of 4 SE5 Valom kits today, so should have time to get them built before the Fokker scourge arrives.

Why no SPAD VII option in the poll?

I love the SPAD in all its varieties. Got 10 of them!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

I have a good time with the Hanriot HD.1. While it may not be superlative, it certainly isn't mediocre. It can hold it's own. Probably it's best aspect in the game is...it's rather a "mystery", so other players tend to be overly cautious around it. As such, I tend to be ignored at first. This enables me to lurk on the sidelines, and pick off the cripples.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Matter of fact, I just bought two more Hanriot's for the complete set.
    I am tempted to get some Shapeways. It might be a simple project.

Last edited by Grey; 09-06-2014 at 22:58.

Albatross D.III for me. Dont have it, but played a recent game with it and love it!

Chose the Aviatic today. just started to use it and it not only looks good it flies pretty well too. But I do love the look of a Spad XIII, especially in Bulldog 52nd squadron colours.

Tomorrow could be erhhh

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

It is really hard. I like flying the Dr.VII myself but I can't get over the Dr.1 and the DH2. The Dr.1 is very iconic, seeing Dr.1 vrs Camels is just too cool to pass on. The DH2 is so unique of a plane.

SE 5 love that plane.

No Bristol on the list (obviously) - I would have voted for the Spad VII, but in its absence has to be the SE5a...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I voted SPAD XIII and it's still a favorite, but I've recently acquired a couple Siemens-Schuckerts and oh my goodness, what a great plane! I think it may be my favorite turnfighter, it's quite dangerous and just tons of fun to fly. I like that it's only 14 HP, so you've got to fly aggressively but still with some caution or you'll be melted away quickly.

The recently released Nieuport 11 is also fun, though I feel the maneuver deck doesn't do its legendary maneuverability sufficient justice, and the "Overwing Gun" special rule isn't enough to make up for it. A 90 degree turn each way, similar to the one used in the D deck, would've been a nice and quite flavorful addition in my view. Or even the D.VII's short 45 degree turn... anyways, still a fun plane, and quite the challenge with only 10 HP!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    No Bristol on the list (obviously) - I would have voted for the Spad VII, but in its absence has to be the SE5a...
    Ditto. Would have voted for a SPAD VII in honour of my grandfather & 19 Sqn RFC but failing that the SE5a gets my vote: fast, tough & manoeuvrable but sufficiently thought-provoking because of the steep manoeuvres.

Having said that if you're not using altitude rules then the Camel is always an absolute blast, not least because once you merge you're pretty committed (& even more so with the Dr.1)!

Tom

Because it is almost April, 100 years ago - Albatros D.III. And you get to customize your plane with outlandish decorations and colors rather than drab and boring? Oh wow!

Fokker D.VII - beautiful looking aircraft and great flight characteristics.

I chose the Snipe -- I really enjoy flying this plane.

Ever since I read the novel "Goshawk Squadron" I have had a soft spot for the SE.5.a.

Probably Sopwith Camel

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Just voted. Aviatik D.I. The steep 90deg turns make it really interesting in my view. It takes skill to use the manoeuvrability, especially tricky with engine damage...

Fokker Dr. I, hands down.

Because it's my favorite plane in history.

People love to rag on it, but it was the best German fighter in the spring of 1918.

I like the Nieuport 17. Always a fun plane to play.

I loved Scaroni's Hanriot HD1 as my first Italian fighter. Nevertheless I came to appreciate the Nieuport 11 (Used Ancillotto's in an Italy vs Austria-Hungary Scenario).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. WSF Bristol Scout, A & B gun
    By Womble in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 18:55
  2. Bristol Scout
    By Burt in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 01:18
  3. Scout/Fighter
    By Justin3.14 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions