Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for August?

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Any one want to have an un-official Felixstowe Real Craziest Paint Scheme contest? There are some real doozies out there . . .

Past efforts . . .

Still not crazy enough, anyone got any other wilder (real) schemes?
    Clipper, my brothers done some crazy schemes, take a look at these:

All Shapeways painted around real schemes. He spends a good few months on each one and I think it shows.

Ian

Edit. The DH.4 is Nexus and the baby Sram.
    Last edited by Womble; 08-12-2013 at 15:32. Reason: forgot to mention that.

Wow it does! His work is great. I will have to give the black and whites a go, they should work nicely with my HMS Argus! The DH-4 I have never seen before, very interesting as well! Thanks for sharing : )

An excellent bunch of planes. It should inspire anyone with a yen to paint a few.
    Rob.

Ian

If your brother is a drinking man, buy him a round! They are very nice!

Rich

I think this may have moved to the front of my queue.

Looks VERY nice John! I will have to start putting armor on my Zepps!

I'm guessing an early O2 regulator? Nice nebulizing sphere with secondary pressure gage . . . haven't had my third cup of espresso yet today.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I think this may have moved to the front of my queue.

So, they look great?!

Still waiting for my batch to show up at the door...

Quote Originally Posted by freebird-52 View Post
    So, they look great?!

Still waiting for my batch to show up at the door...
    I placed an order on 16th July and I'm still waiting for it to turn up

Then they send me e-mails saying that Shapeways are reducing their printing times......

Don't believe the hype.

Great rocket bird John!

Ian

Well, it'll probably carry me into September... I've got a busy couple of weeks of real life work ahead of me... But here's my line up.

Working on my home built Drachen now... My Shapeways order arrived today, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the prints. I have 1 SPAD VII, 4 Nieuport 11's, 2 Fokker DVII's, and 2 Se5a's... I also have a pair of Sopwith Pups in the Valom kit...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1225.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	104549

Cool

Rob

I assumed it was something you gastroenterologist used? You have to be of a certain age to get that one!

Rich

Okay Clipper, I'm really getting jealous & covetous of your elves!

But rockets on the Halberstadt D.II???

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yep - not used operationally, but German evaluations of rockets were done with a Halberstadt - photo here:

http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewto...p?f=49&t=36026

The new Valom D.VII is on the workbench. Here it is with a Kampffleiger kit. I've only lozenged the underside of the top wing so far. The kit has great detail, I may skip the leavers, pedals and joystick inside the cockpit, I hope this isn't too tricky.

To be continued.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Yep - not used operationally, but German evaluations of rockets were done with a Halberstadt - photo here:

http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewto...p?f=49&t=36026
    Should never doubt the Clipper...

Blimp painting night at Clippers, the elves are doing some WWII thing and the Sopwith Tripes are getting a wing lift . . .

A teaser of the project I'm working on now...

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	104974

Blimp painting night at Clippers, the elves are doing some WWII thing and the Sopwith Tripes are getting a wing lift . . .

Hmmm, are those your famous sticker paint job on the blimps or is that actual paint?

Actual paint, need to get my eyes checked now thousands of free painted squares of silver/silverblue! They do look rather cool! My inspiration:

Kind of a impressionist painting style, takes me back to art school, wine, cheese, and oil paint, ahhhhh . . . .

Wow, you really captured the look of the painting! Lovely work!

Thanks! The visual effect is nice and the history of these North Sea crews is fascinating-long tours of duty in harsh environs . . . they are also rather large too! 21" long and almost 5" diameter at 1/144 scale . . . need big sea mats soon . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post
    A teaser of the project I'm working on now...

ID:	104974
    Nice Thomas, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Some incredible work on your workbenches everyone!

Here's a close up of the Valom D.VII. Its going surprisingly well. It all fits together at treat and the decals go on fine (these aren't the kit decals, these are my own). I just stuck them straight on the kit without any kind of preparation, leave 5 minutes with some sol on, then squash them down with a bit of kitchen roll. They keep the detail in the kit really well. I've found that a 3.2 mm magnet in the cockpit holds the plane on a magnetic flight stand without any difficulty.

Next step, glue it together, add the engine and guns, then finish the lozenge off on the fuselage and add some detail to the wings. That's the easy part.

Then comes the tricky bit.

Ian

Damn it, Ian! I just convinced myself not to order those kits! Reconsidering...

I must admit that it does look very good Ian.
    I will be interested to see the finished product alonside other manufacturers models for comparison.
    Rob.

Yep, looking very good Ian.

I've had a re-stock. All good apart from a Dr.i in Frosted detail is missing its undercarriage and a wing strut.
    I'm really impressed with the balloon.

Let's see if I can finish them all by Christmas.

Ian

I'll send you some elves to help! Yikes they are all wanting to go over! I agree on the balloon, its one of the best Shapeways values since it fills a gap in what is available and the balloons add so much to any game. We spot one on the board no matter the mission as a bit of destraction/fun.

Ah for playing on the ceiling with. I suppose its a bigger area, saves cluttering the table bit expensive if you've got to magnetize the whole ceiling area though.......now where did I leave my bluetac?

ID:	104974[/QUOTE]

Just about ready! Waiting on bases . . . then we are off to the North Sea! N.S. 7, 8, 9, 10!

I'll send you some elves to help! Yikes they are all wanting to go over!
    The elves are welcome any time Clipper. My work bench would be clear overnight. I'd wake up to find 56 sq B flight and a Voss triplane ready for action, Jasta 6 monoplanes ready to cause mayhem and a splendid lozenge balloon. My half broken Zeppelin Staaken would be fixed and I wouldn't be surprised to find my bicycle painted in five colour lounge.

Amazing work on the North Sea blimps! They look fantastic!

Ian

Default Fokker D.VIII - Reviresco

All,

Part I:
    I picked up a Reviresco Fokker D-8 when I was in Olympia in May, attending Enfilade 2013. I got as far as test fitting some pieces together and was trying out parts when I got really confused with the directions and the parts.

The cabane struts were not what I expected, and the instructions were not very clear (no pictures or diagrams on what parts should go where). I went on line and found a wonderful photograph walk-around of a D-8, but that made the parts in the model kit even more confusing (Link: Fokker D VIII Walk-Around).

I emailed John McEwan for help. He sent a diagram and some suggestions:
    I would suggest two things;
    first use .025 brass rod to replace the struts
    and second use the attached 1/144th scale drawing to locate the attachment points. Use a .03 drill to cut all the way through the wing or fuselage. Make a jig to hold the wing in place while you glue the struts in place.

Mostly he suggested that I could have something else, for the cost of postage. The diagram he sent was actually in the model package, but smaller and harder for my old eyes to see:

Name:	d-8.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	106647

Well, something else wouldn't be a Fokker D-8. I had also picked up a decal sheet of lozenge camo (for a D-7) that I was going to use to finish the D-8. And sometime "soon", ARES would be putting out D-7s. So, I followed his suggestion about brass rod (as I had some for doing my paper planes), and then I ran into the problem of trying to glue the struts in place with only two hands, and big fat fingers to boot. As to making a jig, I couldn't figure out how to make it work, let alone cut one out and assemble it. My Better Half put in her two cents on the process, and it wasn't sarcastic or destructive. Being that it was truly attempted at helping, it started me thinking of a "tool" I had collecting dust in the garage, and I dug it out. It worked excellently!

Name:	D8_Stand1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	106648

It did leave marks on the wing and fuselage that would emulate a T-Rex or Pterodactyl damage (Hey, there is a card for a Pterosaurus in the cards section, too!), but it worked to hold the wing and fuselage in the right positions until the glue on the main four struts was dried.

Name:	D8_Stand1_Crop.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	106649

Name:	D8_Stand2_Crop.jpg 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	106650

Name:	D8_Stand3_Crop.jpg 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	106651

Then, I cut and fitted the four smaller struts.

Name:	D8_Struts1_Crop.jpg 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	106652

Name:	D8_Struts2_Crop.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	106653

Name:	D8_Struts3_Crop.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	106654

Name:	D8_Struts3a_Crop.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	106655

And I filed the extended brass rod down on the top of the wing to finish the surface.

Name:	D8_WingTop1_Crop.jpg 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	106656

So, the primer has been sprayed, and the plane is drying out. Tomorrow or by the end of the week, I will post more pictures of this mess.

Anyone got stats for a D VIII?

Mike

Great job, lots of Patience on these, now you may begin to see why I do Shapeways! My metal one:

And his nylon friends:

Next project already on the table... August is turning out to be very productive. Not sure if I will finish this one in August but we will see...

Views:	145 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	106706

Views:	146 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	106707

Views:	145 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	106708

Its a re-repaint of my stuka. Never was happy about it and now decided to do some modifications to it. Modified the wing tanks into cannons to make a cannon bird.

Sorry for the hazy pictures but they are taken with my iPad.
    Last edited by Thomatchef; 08-27-2013 at 09:27.

And his nylon friends:
    <- now desperately trying to get "Walkin' 'Round In Women's Underwear" out of his mind...

Default Fokker D.VIII - Reviresco

Part II

Finished! Sort of...

The plane primed, and base colored:

Name:	D8_Primed.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	106846

Name:	D8_BaseCoat.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	106837
    Under the base coated plane, you can see the D7 decal sheet I picked out to dress up my plane. The cut guides were nearly useless, but I expected that. What I hadn't expected was all the struts on the front of the fuselage, which made putting the decals on this part nearly impossible. So, I decided not to. And I picked colors that went with the decals, not with any particular D8 plane, so, this isn't for any specific pilot or Jasta.

So, I may have been told about Revirseco decals when I bought them, but I forgot. They are not printed with white! Not happy about that, but what can you do. So, I had to remove the bottom fuselage decal, and repaint that part white, otherwise the low visibility lozenge pattern wouldn't have shown up at all.

Name:	D8_DecalBtm1.jpg 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	106838
    And then I painted any part that ws to receive the crosses with a backing of white, too...

Name:	D8_DecalTop1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	106841

After putting on the decals, I repainted the green and touched up the blue to hide the over-painted white areas. Then I attempted to do the brushed off-color I have seen on other planes, using the Olive Drab over the light green.

Name:	D8_FinishFrt1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	106842

Name:	D8_FinishFrt2.jpg 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	106843

Name:	D8_FinishSide1.jpg 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	106844

Name:	D8_FinishSide2.jpg 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	106845

Pretty much done, but I have to put a gimbal ball on the bottom. I'm done for now.

Mike

Default Black Flight - Repaint

If you have been following my trials and tribulations on the decal sheet front (Testors Decal Sheets - Problem), I have decided to give up on perfection and just do it. This is what I came up with for the Canadian boys in 10 RNAS B Flight.

Note: I know there is no historical record of letters on the horizontal stabs for anyone but Collishaw, but on the gaming table (especially with Skype), these letters will help.

The complete Flight, including N5492, Collishaw's single-gunned Tripe:

Name:	TripeB_BlackFlt.jpg 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	106848

Collishaw:

Name:	TripeB_Collishaw_N5492.jpg 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	106849

FSL E.V.Reid:

Name:	TripeB_Reid_N5483.jpg 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	106851

FSL G.E.Nash:

Name:	TripeB_Nash_N5376.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	106850

FSL W.M.Alexander:

Name:	TripeB_Alexander_N5487.jpg 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	106847

FSL.J.E.Sharman:

Name:	TripeB_Shaw_N5466.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	106852

The white background in the decals will have to be touched up to hide it, but not too bad for a first attempt with making my own decals.

Mike

Looks good Mike. A little paint, or a touch up w/ a marker or colored pencil will cover those edges right up.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Looks good Mike. A little paint, or a touch up w/ a marker or colored pencil will cover those edges right up.
    I like to use a very thin wash of the plane color that the decal is on. I apply it with a very fine brush, overlapping the edges of the decal but without overlapping the important bit of the decal (just the border). It will soften any differences in color.

Neat black flight Mike.

These home made decals take a bit of trial and error before finding a winning set up. It's worth sticking with it though, especially with such good designs.

Ian

Nice Black Flight Mike, though I cringe just looking at the models

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    All,

And I filed the extended brass rod down on the top of the wing to finish the surface.

Name:	D8_WingTop1_Crop.jpg 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	106656

So, the primer has been sprayed, and the plane is drying out. Tomorrow or by the end of the week, I will post more pictures of this mess.

Anyone got stats for a D VIII?

Mike
    Looking good, don't give up!

I have always been an aircraft or armor modeler. My M10 Tank Destroyer even took 2nd place at the 2012 National IPMS in Florida last August.

http://gallery.ipmsredrivermodelers.org/german-flak-36/

http://gallery.ipmsredrivermodelers....n-king-tiger-/

http://gallery.ipmsredrivermodelers....ank-destroyer/

https://www.facebook.com/andy.bloom....1583825&type=3

With the challenge of competing, I was hoping to enter what is know as a "Triathlon" - where you have to build three models, one from the major categories; i.e.; aircraft, automotive, military vehicles, ships, figures, or Space and Science Fiction Vehicles.

However due to NUMEROUS set backs (with the latest one being the spike on the helmet broke and went missing for some reason and then dropping the helmet thus chipping the paint forcing a complete overhaul on the helmet), I've decided to put this project on the back burner for now. Plus when SWMBO says; "you should stick to what you do best". It was time...

So, I'm going back to what I do best, armor...this time either a German Tiger I from the 2./s.SS.Pz.Abt.102 or maybe a German Leopard 2 of the 3./PzBtl 174

Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Part II

Name:	D8_FinishSide2.jpg 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	106845

Pretty much done, but I have to put a gimbal ball on the bottom. I'm done for now.

Mike
    Does look Great!

Down to the wire for August, just a few more days so the elves are scrambling!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Guns of August August 23rd - 25th , 2013 Williamsburg Virginia!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 05:07
  2. WGF What's on your workbench this February?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 16:20
  3. New Workbench Area
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 02:21
  4. For those with models on the workbench...
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 08:03
  5. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58