Ares Games

Thread: Blackburn Kangaroo!!!

Default Blackburn Kangaroo!!!

Just had to have it! Whilst shopping on the ecardmodels paper model site for my Staaken, I found a few other items of interest! This one by Kampfflieger in 1/72" scale reduced to 1/144" and so . . .

Yeah I know, just one, but I did run off 6 copies, and now that I have paved the path . . . a hoppin' squadron is due!

Bits and pieces

Sub assemblies Very nice model with tons of detail

Can't seem to make paper struts work at this scale, so I replaced them with 0.02 styrene rod

Cool wings

Even cooler tail unit

Engine nacelles very sweet design

Coming together, gave the raw cardstock edges a swipe of color thinned with water, added a nice finish look

And there we have it! A very easy and nice build

Need to hit the wing strut ends on the wings woops!

Found a nice card on our site which fits into one of my home made bases

Heading out for a mission

Who can resist a flying kangaroo?

Why do I do this?

Or this?

Yeah, I don't need to explain, Clipper onto the Staakens now

Just so no one thinks I am slaking . . .

Clipper to the 5th powerrrrrr

Ccrrrrrazy man.

Love your work mate

Dave

Where do you find the time? Its amazing! ( both the aircraft and your rate of productivity )

Great Job! (Wish I had your talent)

Most excellent plane my friend

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alexandre
    Sorties Flown

Great Job!
    It looks great

Looks real good, wish I had the talent to make models like that

Kudos Clipper,once again...

I have to say, if you hadn't said it was a card model, I would have never have guessed it! Awesome job!

I just discovered that some people actually watch TV while they watch TV, I think that's crazy! These guys got cut out during an evening of something on TV, it started off being a cooking show, then storage battles and then myth makers and so on . . . some people got a lot of mental garbage last night, I got a few minis! My wife clipped some coupons. Go figure. still Clippin' Clipper

I think I've never shared this thought with you all...

But you...

You...
    Yes! You...

You
    are
    a
    God!

Just sayin'...

Flying high in my pantheon.

Where can I sign to become a member of the Holly Church of the Flying Clipper?!

Kangaroos just keep jumping off my bench!

Getting engine pods and lower wings

Waiting for the wing struts to be drilled and fitted x 5

Staakens lurk in the dark corners of the bench, waiting for their turn . . . Clipper still clippin'

Amazing paper work, David. Beautiful planes made with passion.

Wings were clipped together with binder clamps whilst a "T" pin is used to pierce through both wings for the 0.020" dia styrene struts. I know its not paper, but I occasionally do cheat : )

Struts were painted, clipped to a length that allows some handling and clipped at a sharp angle so they can be poked through with some ease

Once the wings are threaded with the struts, foam spacers are slipped betwixt the wings and the struts secured with a tiny drop of glue on top and bottom of each joint

Now the Kangaroos sleep the sleep of dreams, oblivious to the free ranging Staakens moving towards the work bench . . .

And we are done! All 6 hoppers are ready for 1918 . . .

Clipper moving on . . .

The full complement of Blackburn Kangaroos at 246 Sqn RAF was only 11 aircraft delivered before the Armistice!

Beautiful!
    These are wonderful, Dave.
    Once again in awe!

Genius or Insanity,a very fine line indeed.great work

Must be something in that Arizona water ! great stuff Dave.

Very impressive again Dave. We should be getting used to these batch production methods of yours by now, but somehow it is still a surprise when so many planes turn up all at once.
    Rob.

By the way you will notice the tendency of the printed matter to flake off on sharp bends, that and the white edge of cut card stock can be a detriment to the final look of the model.

I have been mixing a thinned paint to the point of a light stain to brush onto the edges and creases to cover these spots. It has also been fun to add in areas to change the color of the finished fabric which was common on these early birds. It gives them a war worn look, then a bit of back ink wash after a clear lacquer top coat and you have some cool weathering effects! Just thought you might want to know that . . .
    Clipper putting floats on a Staaken-still another story!

Darragh

Those look gorgeous! Not sure I'd have the patience for them mind!