Ares Games

Thread: Northrop P-61 Black Widow

Default Northrop P-61 Black Widow

I just got the P-61 model from Shapeways yesterday. My first impression the model looks smaller than what I think it suppose to be.To me the model seems 10% to 15% smaller than it should be. However in game terms to me, the model is playable with my group.

For example the following stats:
    P61
    Wingspan: 20.12 m (66 ft 0 in)
    Length: 15.11 m (49 ft 7 in)

A6M "Zero"
    Wingspan: 12.0 m (39 ft 4 in)
    Length: 9.06 m (29 ft 9 in)

I know it will be a big surprise when it goes up against a flight of Bettys. Below are photos of the raw unfinished model.

Shapeway P-61 in comparison to a WoW A6M "Zero" model

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p611.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	44014

Name:	p612.jpg 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	44015

Close up Views

Name:	p61top.jpg 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	44016

Bottom

Name:	p61bottom.jpg 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	44017

Notice the spare tanks underneath of the model

http://www.shapeways.com/model/48943...ack-widow.html
    Last edited by bigk57; 05-01-2012 at 12:28. Reason: phrasing

That P-61 model is not at 1/200 scale. It's in a much smaller scale.

Assuming your Zero is an accurate 1/200 scale, I'd say the P61 was closer to 1/350. I've just got rid of a couple of 1/144 P61s, and compared to Zeros in that scale, they are appreciably larger!

Thought so. This is like the linen thread count for sheets, where they advertise a thread count of 600 when it is acutally a 246 thread count. I'll have to take this up with Shapeway. Thanx for the input.

Scale size should be:
    10.06 cm

3.960629921 Inches

I received the 1/300 scale model
    Last edited by bigk57; 05-01-2012 at 13:19. Reason: correction

I'm affraid that you got 1/300

Quote Originally Posted by kampfflieger View Post
    I'm affraid that you got 1/300
    This is not what I piad for on the invoice. Maybe they have the wrong part in the bin. BTW, Shapeway is looking into the matter.

That likes like a ripped-off copy of a Raiden 1/285th scale.

I've got a real one.

I got a response today from Shapeway on my query. It looks like a question of measurement. I think they have classfied their product wrong for scale size. I wonder what their 1/300'th scale model actually is now, 1/600'th?
    I'll keep you up to date.

Shapeway's response
    =====================
    Hi Steve,

I have received feedback from our Production Facility and unfortunately they can hardly believe that this is an incorrect model.
    I attached a screen shot of the render from the model.

Is your model much bigger in cm than the model that is shown on the render?
    If so, could you please measure the model and take a picture of the model next to a ruler?

I am sorry that this cost you so much trouble.

Have a good weekend!

=======================
    My Response:

Attached are the photos of the model you have sent me. The dimensions you have given in your email attachment should are for your 1/300’th scale of the model. Attached is the invoice showing the 1/300’th scale dimensions being used as a 1/200’th scale aircraft. I believe the scale dimensions being used for the model are incorrect. I can do photos of centimeter measurements if you need them.

Steve Kaserman

P61 actual dimensions
    Wingspan: 20.12 m (66 ft. 0 in)
    Length: 15.11 m (49 ft. 7 in)

1/200 scale dimensions
    Wingspan: 10.06 cm or 3.96 in.
    Length: 7.55 cm or 2.97 in.

1/300 scale dimensions
    Wingspan: 6.70 cm or 2.64 in.
    Length: 5.03 cm or 1.98 in.

Shapeway has responded with good news. There is hope in getting the P-61 yet.

==================
    Steve,

Thanks for sending me extra photos to show the measurements.
    Me and my colleague here at Customer Service exactly found out what happened with this model.

First I would like to let you know that we are a 3D printing service and we are reliant to what the individual designers upload and sell via their shops.
    Unfortunately the designer of this model entered the incorrect measurements in his/her shop.

I feel bad that you received the incorrect model so that is why I would like to meet you half way.
    This way you can order the correct model.

Do you prefer a refund or coupon?

I am going to contact the designer right away to inform him/her so he/she can adjust the information in the shop.

If you have any further questions, I am here to help you.

Kindly,
    Kind Regards,

Customer Service Agent
    Last edited by bigk57; 05-04-2012 at 10:46. Reason: spelling

So not a Shapeways problem, but an error on the part of the designer. Good for them in rectifying the mistake at their expense. I guess there's a learning point here - check the scales listed and the dimensions (not that I'll ever do that - I'll carry on trusting that the designer got it right L) )

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    So not a Shapeways problem, but an error on the part of the designer. Good for them in rectifying the mistake at their expense. I guess there's a learning point here - check the scales listed and the dimensions (not that I'll ever do that - I'll carry on trusting that the designer got it right L) )
    I guess this will have to be done with all purchases. Caveat Emptor
    Last edited by bigk57; 05-04-2012 at 10:42. Reason: spelling

You could extend that to models from other manufacturers. We all know about the "official" WoW Spad XIII which is too small (scaled to fit the box?). There have also been many plastic kits in the past which have a scale printed on the box only for the poor modeller to find the kit is something rather different.

Curiouser and curiouser. It appears the Shapeway sage continues. It appears that I made a scene with the designers. I'll let all know when they respond.

===========================
    Hi Steve,

No problem at all.

Coupon code: xxxxxx
    Coupon amount: $xx
    Valid until: 05/12/2013

I hope this helps you out!
    Kind Regards,

Customer Service Agent

Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 10:02 AM
    To: Customer Service Agent
    Subject: RE: Wrong item shipped.

Customer Service Agent,
    I cannot order the product. It appears the P-61, 1/200 scale of the model, has been pulled from your web site. If you no longer carry the product, then I would like a refund.

Steve

Wow! talk about quick. Now that's good customer service. I guess I have to go else where for the P-61.

===========================
    Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 10:14 AM
    To: steve
    Subject: Re: Wrong item shipped.

Hi Steve,

That was then a decision from the designer.

Sure no problem! I have cancelled your coupon and requested a refund for you. You will receive this refund within 48 hours. As soon as the refund is made you will be notified by email.

Hope this helps you out a bit!
    Kind Regards,

Customer Service Agent