Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your bench?

Default What's on your bench?

Just had a 48 hour binge at work and my projects are getting a bit backlogged, any one else? My bench is covered with 8 card stock minis, 4 Curtiss H-16 Shapeways conversions, 8 Avorio Prassone AP balloons, two unopened Shapeways boxes at the post office and a cloud of Zeppelins. And my elves are away at a Con! Rats!

Clipper looking to outsource . . .

Sounds as you have temporarily bit off more than you can chew.

Having seen what you are capable of doing, I am sure that you will get it under control in a few weeks.

How about restarting a similar thread each month.... Rename this one whats on your bench for May 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    How about restarting a similar thread each month.... Rename this one whats on your bench for May 2012!
    Sounds like a good idea to me Chris. Stops any one thread getting too long to manage.
    Oh! and re the Elves Clipper. If you are short handed, I hear that Santa's Elves are on reduced hours at the moment until the little tots letters start arriving. You may be able to do a deal there.
    Rob.

My bench still has the Pfalz D.XIIs that are waiting for decals to be printed, and the Albatross D.III for the last challange (obviously didn't make that deadline). It's also suffering from a general lack of access, as that's one of the rooms that got STUFFED for the sewing room rehab project this winter (now Spring). (hey Keith, Max: we need a Whine! smiley here ).
    OTOH: I'm thinking of trying my hand at paper models, since (in theory) I can make them in the living room, and keep company with my wife in the evenings (re: afternoons for those of you with normal working hours). PVA glue being safer that acrylic paints on the carpets.
    BTW: a monthly thread sounds like a capital idea; given that this started on the 28th, maybe we can designate it the May one?
    Karl

I am having to clear my bench for a removal so far I have found two SW models and one Skytrex as well as numerous Dark Ages figures (which I had bought more of because I did not think I had them) and numerous lost bits and packets of decals from other models

I've got four planes waiting for on decals, other than that nothing else happening.

My bench is a little crowded as well:
    - three Bristol Blenheim IV bombers (France 1940)
    - two Gloster Gladiators (Syria 1941)
    - two Macchi M.202 Folgore (North Africa 1941-2)
    - two Messerschmitt Bf109F (Russia 1941-2)
    - two Messerschmitt Bf109F (North Africa 1941-2)
    - four Curtiss P-40C Tomahawk (Syria & North Africa 1941-2)

Just primed and undersides at the moment. The Macchis will be finished first, followed by the Blenheims, Gladiators, Kittyhawks and 109's.

7 or 8 1/144 waiting for paint ,decals etc. 15 or so 1/48 WW1 planes and 2 1/350 ships . All just sitting cause I just can't seem to get going on any of them.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gyula
    Sorties Flown

Had a group of friends over for a rather large Seven Years war game yesterday.
    Due to having to make room in the basement, I can proudly say my work bench is cleared off !
    Back to work today as several projects are needing attention.
    Have a shapeways HB W29 and a Macchi M5 in work. Just ordered a pair of Brisfits as well.
    Other projects taking up space are a pair of Mirage IIIs, an Su-7 and a Mig-21.
    Yep, shiny penny syndrome strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    My bench still has the Pfalz D.XIIs that are waiting for decals to be printed, and the Albatross D.III for the last challange (obviously didn't make that deadline). It's also suffering from a general lack of access, as that's one of the rooms that got STUFFED for the sewing room rehab project this winter (now Spring). (hey Keith, Max: we need a Whine! smiley here ).
    OTOH: I'm thinking of trying my hand at paper models, since (in theory) I can make them in the living room, and keep company with my wife in the evenings (re: afternoons for those of you with normal working hours). PVA glue being safer that acrylic paints on the carpets.
    BTW: a monthly thread sounds like a capital idea; given that this started on the 28th, maybe we can designate it the May one?
    Karl
    Karl,
    Read the traveling card modeler :
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/n/8/n8hfi/ca...ips.html#s3.15
    Has suggestions good for the living room.
    Especially the small cutting mat.
    If you cut SWMBO's table, you will be in the doghouse.
    Ken

I'm stuck with 6 French SPAD XIII (Reviresco) for which I'm trying to get the 5 colour camo painted, but my lack of enthusiasm for this task is so big that I've started 5 other projects in the mean time...
    Then, there's the Reviresco "multimedia-kit" of the Friedrichshaven G.III that I can't be bothered to finish.
    3 Shapevays Caproni to do... + a dozen or so of other (metal) planes I haven't started yet.

I've done a bit to much in 1/144 scale and am therefore laying in a short 1/32 & 1/48 recess...

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Karl,
    Read the traveling card modeler :
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/n/8/n8hfi/ca...ips.html#s3.15
    Has suggestions good for the living room.
    Especially the small cutting mat.
    If you cut SWMBO's table, you will be in the doghouse.
    Ken
    Thanks Kenneth; don't worry, if I cut the new diningroom table we got last year, I'll be too busy rending myself to notice what my loving wife is saying. I'm figuring the cheap TV trays will do nicely.
    Good FAQ page; I hadn't gotten all the tool needs down yet.

Karl

I have some Air 200 planes coming this week. Ju88/Kate & 1 B-17 just to have one.

Skytrex Fokker E III on my desk (with lots of other differents waiting in a box nearby). Painted in green !!! I found this paint sceme while searching the web. Nice models very cool. Will post some pics when it is ready

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I`m getting near the end of a massive Skytrex build since I took full advantage of their Christmas discounts.
    Just one 1 1-1/2 Strutter unbuilt now with one DH-4 that just needs a little finishing and another built, primed and ready for painting!

Default Macchi C.202 Folgore on the bench

I have had to take some time away from the bench for work and home this past week, but had a chance to progress my Air 200 Macchi C.202 Folgore fighters tonight. Hopefully they will be finished by the weekend, and I will see how they fare against my the desert Kittyhawk I just picked up in the WW2 starter set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	44686 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	44687

Very nice!
    But there's one that seems ill! It's got a lot of weird green spots! Shouldn't you call a doctor?

Seriously, very nice indeed!

Well as my Sopwith Dolphin has arrived from Reviresco after the holiday weekend, I will be starting to asemble that tomorrow.
    I will post my usual "How To" with pictures when finished before flying it into history and legend.
    Rob.

I'm painting and finishing to assemble 6 French SPAD XIII in '5 colour camo' livery that I've left alone for some time to do other stuff.

There'll be a "How To" too...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gyula
    Sorties Flown

The Work Bench has been returned to it's rightful place in the basement.
    In the delivery race between the new WoG Bombers and the Brisfits, the Bombers won by a day.
    My workbench is now occupied by a pair of Shapeways Brisfits.
    First, a little cleaning. Then fitting the Peter Pig crews.
    Finally it's over to the paint shop for finishing.
    Just have to decide which squadron to replicate.
    Hmmm now where did I put those books...................

Default Macchi C.202 fighting pair

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Carl very nice indeed. How do you mount them?
    Hi Bob,

I am still using two rare earth magnets, one on the aircraft and one on the end of the Litko flight peg.

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	44979

I have not caught up with the 'variable geometry' ball bearing system yet!

Nearly done on the C.202's.

Name:	IMG_1392.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	44980

Thanks for the info and again great planes and paint job.

What is on my workbench? Too much! Unfortunately for me I haven't been able to spend time at my workbench for quite a while, so just about everything I had there this time last year is still there! It doesnt help that I am moving house in 2 months time and have started packing & boxing up the man-cave. Hopefully here will be time to unpack and get myself set up to begin work sometime before Christmas - not sure which year though

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz68 View Post
    What is on my workbench? Too much! Unfortunately for me I haven't been able to spend time at my workbench for quite a while, so just about everything I had there this time last year is still there! It doesnt help that I am moving house in 2 months time and have started packing & boxing up the man-cave. Hopefully here will be time to unpack and get myself set up to begin work sometime before Christmas - not sure which year though
    I feel your pain brother having just made a move (3hours away West from Brisbane). I did not trust the removalists with my models, so I took them myself in my 4WD there was just enough room left for me and the cat. Everything is a mess in the house, but the model table and computor have now been set up

For the first time there is to much on the workbench. Normally it's project per project but I've planned too much and now its stacking up. First up are these...

Name:	Academy B170001.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	45612

First have to receive the correct parts as one kit contained 2 left parts instead of one right and one left.
    The plan is to convert them to B-17G's so a nose turret needs to be mounted and I want to make the turrets and some of the cockpit windows in clear plastic. Also the guns will be added.

After that an extra Zvezda Li2 1/200 needs to be made, converted and painted to look like a C-47.
    In between I want to repaint the French P-40 I have into American colors.

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    I'm painting and finishing to assemble 6 French SPAD XIII in '5 colour camo' livery that I've left alone for some time to do other stuff.

There'll be a "How To" too...

(quoting myself now... sheesh!)

I'm still busy with those.
    The camo patern is a real pain in the backside. I've decided to mask everything and it seemed to work. Today I got to "clean" the places where the ribbing on the wings enabled paint to flow through.
    Tomorrow, I'll paint the identifying colours and the flashes on the tails (hate to use decals for those).
    From there on, it'll be a blast to assemble all the pieces, place some decals and seal everything with loads of varnish.

Name:	Li-2 Zevda.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	45643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cards.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	45642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-15-2012 5;42;48 PM.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	45641

Just got these today. Did you get cards for the B-17 as they were in the LI-2 kit?

For me
    5 x Nexus Camels all becoming B Flight Naval 10

Currently out of priming and on the paint bench these beasties:

In the "wings" as it were, 28 various Zeppies

On the cutting board 3 paper Staakens, awaiting torpedoes and pontoons!? Yeah you read right!

Clipper still looking for reality . . . or not.

I'm crying over the Build/repaint tray of white metel aircraft I had been working on last month. I just found them fallen and buried under a pile hobby stuff on the floor.

Now to match the wheels and find the brass rod....

Sigh!

James

Ouch I feel the pain James

Quote Originally Posted by James Denberger View Post
    I'm crying over the Build/repaint tray of white metel aircraft I had been working on last month. I just found them fallen and buried under a pile hobby stuff on the floor.

Now to match the wheels and find the brass rod....

Sigh!

James

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post

Just got these today. Did you get cards for the B-17 as they were in the LI-2 kit?
    No, there where no cards with the B-17. The Zvezda cards are for the game "art of tactic" where the B-17 is just a model kit.

Default 3 Squadron RAAF Tomahawks

Bench is currently occupied by a flight of four 3 Squadron RAAF Tomahawk I's about two-thirds complete waiting for the dark earth camouflage and some touch ups then decals and dullcote.

They are 1/200 AIM resin aircraft, very tidy.

Name:	IMG_1415.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	45852

Currently working on a Sopwith Triplane Scratch building it from Pewter.
    Anybody worked with pewter was wondering whether I could use thin strips of it as solder.
    Would be cool to make the whole aircraft from pure pewter rather than soldering it together with lead solder.
    Why make a pewter aircraft?
    I am an engraver and over the years we have had a few spoilages (jobs that have gone wrong) a couple of them were pewter hip flasks I thought why not use them.
    It's very easy to work so thought i'd give it a try.
    Just finished a 1/1200 scale HMTS 2810 Olympic (Sister ship to the Titanic) in Razzle paint work.
    It's to be used as a bombing target. I used the Revell Titanic kit.
    Linz

Just started 3 Caproni Ca.3
    Future (4 applications!) & base coat: the coarseness is almost gone. Will this project get me into Shapeways?

Happy with the home made airbrushing turntable I just used for the very first time! Didn't cost a cent and works perfectly...

Nearly done on the RAAF P-40's, damn you paint hurry up and dry!

Name:	IMG_1424.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	46485

Although I have bought 30 Armaments in Miniature 1/200 scale aircraft to date, these are the first ones I have substantially completed. I have been impressed with the appearance of these resin aircraft as opposed to the Air and Action 200 metal miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Bench is currently occupied by a flight of four 3 Squadron RAAF Tomahawk I's about two-thirds complete waiting for the dark earth camouflage and some touch ups then decals and dullcote.

They are 1/200 AIM resin aircraft, very tidy.

Name:	IMG_1415.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	45852

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Looking good Karl.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob, I do like the desert scheme. They will rule the African skies, at least until I finish my four JG27 Messerschmitt Bf109Fs.

Name:	DCP_3301[1].jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	46508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_3304[1].jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	46507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_3303[1].jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	46506

Here is a Zvezda 1/200 Li-2. First 1/200 if have done so not as good as I could have done. Not a bad model and something different.

The zvezda kits are not bad at all. Definitely compared to the B-17 from academy i'm now making.

The first B-17G received its first coat of primer. This way some defect show up.
    I just made this one first, the other 2 will follow. I'm happy with the chin turret conversion but the clear nose is something I won't repeat on the others. I tried casting other clear parts as well but that was a complete fail so only the nose is in clear resin. I'm not happy with the result of the castings and the resin is annoying to work with.

Name:	DSC03049.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	46667

Default Next on the Bench - Desert Friedrich

Now I have my JG54 Russian Front Messerschmitts completed, next on the list are two JG27 North African Bf109F's. One will have to be Hans-Joachim Marseille, the other yet to be determined.

Name:	IMG_1517[1].jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	47081
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-29-2012 at 05:24.

Default 1/200 Lockheed Hudson on the Bench

The postman delivered my latest acquisition this morning, a 1/200 scale Lockheed Hudson from Helmet Historical aircraft in the UK. The sculpt is very good, minimal flash quickly filed back after a couple of minutes. The miniature comes with propellers, undercarriage and radio antenna. The dorsal turret has no MG's but has ports to make and fit your own.

Name:	IMG_1524[1].jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	47250 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1526[1].jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	47251

I will be painting this one up as a No.1 Squadron RAAF Hudson A16-51 based at Kota Bahru in Malaya at the time of the Japanese invasion in December 1941. The colour scheme is the same as the one below, except the standard RAF roundels and fin flashes were still being used, and squadron codes US-L. 1 Squadron RAAF has the distinction of being the first unit to mount sorties against the Japanese invasion fleet and this aircraft was in action from 8/12/41 until it was lost to enemy action on 6/3/42.

Name:	A16_51_and_52_Sept_1941_sized.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	47256

Name:	Hudson04.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	47253

I am very keen to progress this one, I think I might bump the desert Bf109F's to the back of the bench for now and do the Hudson first.

I'll post the results when it's done.

Cheers,

Carl.

For those of you intrested in the activities of the RAAF in the early part of the war (Malaya and Timor) I would high recogmend this book:
    Balfe. J. (1984) War without Glory. Macmillan. Melbourne.

After my move it has taken me 4 weeks to get my work bench set up. 1st thing to do is paint up crew for the WW1 Bombers. Also does any one knows where I can get the Zeveda kits I got some before from a shop in the UK, but have lost the detail of the sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    After my move it has taken me 4 weeks to get my work bench set up. 1st thing to do is paint up crew for the WW1 Bombers. Also does any one knows where I can get the Zeveda kits I got some before from a shop in the UK, but have lost the detail of the sight?
    I guess this is the shop...

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/

They also have the 1/200 B-17 from academy.

Thanks for the sight Thomas I was able to order 2 x Zvenda Li-2 Russian transport planes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast