Ares Games

Thread: Rules for conducting a “Taran” ramming attack with Soviet aircraft.

Default Rules for conducting a “Taran” ramming attack with Soviet aircraft.

I have been reading the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces:”Soviet Aces of WW2” book this week and I was particularly intrigued on reading about the “Taran” Attack – the deliberate ramming of enemy aircraft and the encouragement given to this desperate tactic by Soviet High Command during 1941-42. There were even rules of engagement created to demonstrate to pilots the various possibilities, including:

1. To attack from the rear, using the propeller to chew up the enemy's tail section
    2. To ram a wing into the control surfaces, or to tip the enemy’s wing if at low level
    3. To deliberately aim at & fly into the enemy – which would tend to be rather fatal for all concerned.

There were 561 recorded “Taran” attacks on enemy aircraft between June 1941 and 1945. These attacks apparently accounted for 272 enemy bombers, 312 fighters, 48 recon & 3 transports. I say apparently because a quick calculation of casualties caused does not equate to attacks conducted…I am still trying to get my head around the possibilities of that one!

However here is my quick & easy version of rules to conduct Taran attacks in a WW2 game of DOW using Soviet aircraft. I would imagine that this kind of attack would be most encouraged with pilots of older types of planes like the I-153 and the I-16, which are going to be at a disadvantage in the game anyway against Bf-109s and the sturdier types of Axis bombers, unless numbers of aircraft are stacked in favour of the Soviets.

THE DARK HORSE “TARAN” RULES!

1. Any collision between a Soviet fighter and an enemy aircraft can be claimed as a “Taran” attack by the Soviet player (hopefully he/she would express it in terms of “It was deliberate!” mimicking the voice used by Gimli the Dwarf in “The Lord of the Rings” films – although this is an optional extra and does not affect game play.)

2. Two “C” Damage tokens are drawn, one for each plane in collision, as per page 13 of the rulebook. If one or both players collect an explosion token then it applies to their own relevant aircraft.

3. If an explosion token is not drawn then the following alterations are made:

Both counters are compared – the one showing the greater number of damage points is allocated to the enemy aircraft. The counter with the lesser number of damage points is allocated to the Soviet aircraft. (If the points are the same you can come to a mutual agreement about which token is allocated to which plane... )

OPTIONAL RULES

As per the rule book, special damage is ignored except in the following cases:

1. If a rudder damage token is drawn it is allocated (with its damage points) to the enemy aircraft.

2. If an engine damage token is drawn then it is allocated (with its damage points) to the Soviet aircraft.

(I figured that even though these damage types are usually ignored, it is the kind of damage that would be typical in such an attack and the planes are so close (literally) that the respective pilots could well be aware of the damage caused.)

So there you have it. If you have suggestions or try these rules out then please let me know!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soviet Aces_of_WWII.jpg  

It looks like a good start. Now we all know that the Japanese also did this as well as the Germans. I think that the Japanese made it famous though. So I think that the rules should be more generic for all that would use it.

Thomas

Yes, but I think that it would need to be kept to historical confrontations with air-forces that encouraged such anti-social behaviour, otherwise everyone would saying "It was Deliberate!, give me your lower damage token!"

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    It looks like a good start. Now we all know that the Japanese also did this as well as the Germans. I think that the Japanese made it famous though. So I think that the rules should be more generic for all that would use it.

Thomas

Yes I agree. When I said generic I meant to those countries that historically did it and that it should be established as part of the house rules, at the beginning of the game.

Thomas

Good idea but the problem I see is that individual pilots from all nations did it! Brave men.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Good idea but the problem I see is that individual pilots from all nations did it! Brave men.
    I bet a few were psychotic too. We all know people like that!

A desperate measure to bring down an enemy aircraft...

sort of like the germans sonderkommando elbe group who did the same thing targeting the tail, cockpit and aelerons

I have made a similar rule addition but for component damage for four engine bombers and plan to put it up sometime in the next month (still have to edit and get the correct terminology but haven't done any playtests)

its hard to intentionally collide with another aircraft in wings of glory
    "a quick calculation of casualties caused does not equate to attacks conducted…I am still trying to get my head around the possibilities of that one!" in mother russia exceptional hero pilot of glorious soviet aircraft can collide with multiple hitlerite aircraft with same attack!!! and if nkvd say numbers add up. number add up.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    its hard to intentionally collide with another aircraft in wings of glory...
    And yet we manage unintentionally so easily !

I added this to another thread on the subject:
    FO Percy Burton did a similar thing with a Me110 over Hailsham - neither he or the Me crew survived the encounter.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...rcy-Burton-RAF

"He is wise who watches"

I really must get to touching up my WGS BoB aircraft and applying the GN H
    Picture still waiting on my desktop ...
    I have a feeling that the Daring Young Men might bump that project again ..

Here are some my ideas about Taran:

One-seater pilot who suffered at least one "critical damage" (Boom with optional rules, Wounded Pilot, Damaged Engine) and/or his plane suffered at least half of it's full damage is entitled to Taran the enemy. If all conditions for Collision are met, Taran takes place. House rule Collision Cards is not used.

Taranning pilot takes two C chits, chooses one for himself and gives other one to the Taranned pilot.

Taranning Expert (optional)
    Taranning Expert pilot takes two C chits for himself and chooses one. Other one is discarded. Furthermore, he takes another two C chits for Taranned Pilot and chooses one for him as well. Other one is discarded.

I also think that Taran should be limited with one successfull Taran per pilot per game.
    Last edited by Пилот; 10-02-2019 at 05:29. Reason: BOOM added