Ares Games

Thread: Mission 5 AAr Balloon or Bust RFC

Default Mission 5 AAr Balloon or Bust RFC

" Well how many of you chaps have been up against balloons ?" Kyte asked .
    There was a pause then Hibbet pipped up
    " Well Sir only the once , and that was in Paris last month when I was on R&R!!"
    The room errupted into laughter. It was just what we needed to break the tension in the hut. This was going to be a hard mission. Balloons had a tendency to blow up in your face, and this one was protected on the ground by troops and MG posts, and in the air by the Eagles.
    "Well this one has to be burst" Said Kyte. " Dismissed" We pushed back our chairs and headed for the Mess

As I was leaving the CO touched my shoulder. "Got a minute have you Jonty?" He said.
    My heart sank.........

The sky was clear and blue, perfect for duck shooting for the Germans on the ground. Up ahead I saw the line of trenches and the large grey envelope of the gas bag. Here goes I thought and powered my Spad towards the target

The Huns were quick to spot me and opened up from the trenches (2pts) and then the MG got a bead on me (1pt +fire) Not the greatest of starts , Where was lady Luck in this pack of cards!!
    But the Blimp was in my sights and I fired a long burst at the beast (4pts + smoke) Ah a little glow from the tail fin. Perhaps all was not lost.

I moved in closer and watched as the tracers hit the balloon again. (4+0pts) A series of bullets pingged through my wing (1pt) from the ground then nothing( gun jam for ground MG), the fire seemed to be spreading allong the tail section quite nicely (4pt+ 1pt) of my gaseous friend, while mine (1+0pt) seemed to be under control.

I decided to Immelman, but I was right next to the trenches and they pinged me again (3pts) it was then I saw it. A DR1 behind and above the balloon. Unfortunatly so did his friends on the ground who opened up on him, (2+gun jam) jamming their guns in the process ! Ha the irony of it ( Perhaps an Irony Cross for the gunner in charge )

with the flames in my Spad finally flickering out(2pts) I felt I had a chance. The blimp was glowing nicely (3pts). Time to toast some crumpets!
    But the Fokker was right on me and his guns kicked into action (2pts +gun jam), I could have turned to meet him but the mission was not him , at least not today Herr Tobius Ebersark. I fired at the decending balloon(3pts +pilot) One of the observers tumbled backwards ,arms flailing wildly in the air as he fell the last 500mts to the ground .I then moved right in close and fired (5+0),. I could feel the searing heat from the stricken ship (total 8pts fire damage to add). Ebersack was right on my tail, so why no bullets whizzing past me ?

The winch was working overtime in an effort to get the Draaken to ground .It was in a bad way, I Immelmaned and lined up for a shot at it, but Ebersark swung right in front of me at the last moment and he took the full salvo (3+pilot ) , His head jerked back for a second and the plane slewwed wildly. Who is this man .Hero or fool?

The MGs were really going for me now (1pt) as I swung left firing as I went (2+fire) and with a final burst( 3+0) the balloon crashed to the ground like a burning paper bag.

Objective achieved but I was not out of the woods yet. The Fokker had swung round and was back in the game , comming up fast on my tail, he must have cleared his guns by now. My Spad was just about holding together (11pts damage) as I weaved my way towards NML The trenches opened up (0pts) and I repield (1pt) but some lucky Duck shooter got me with a parting shot (1pt +left rudder) as I opened her up and sped for base.

Debrief. RFC Lt Jon "Jonty" Grisham 1 Balloon 13pts damage to his Spad.XIII
    Eagles Tobius Ebersark Wounded and 5pts damage to DR1

This was quite a fun mission, the gunners on the ground were a menace but the mud kept jamming their guns.The only luck I had with the ground attackers was when they shot up the Fokker
    Once the incendry bullets caused a fire or 2 the writing was on the wall for the big boy.

Ebersark came in on Turn 4 but by Turn7 it was all over and I was heading for home ( Game took 9 turns to get there and to a point where I was out of range of the trenches.

Like they say at the chip shop .Frying Tonight.

Paul
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 04-25-2012 at 08:23. Reason: Usual speling mistakes

Mission successful - Drachen shot down in flames.

Good AAR, Paul.

Just one question:

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    The Huns were quick to spot me and opened up from the trenches (2pts) and then the MG got a bead on me (1pt +fire) Not the greatest of starts , Where was lady Luck in this pack of cards!!
    Did you count the complete damage from the trench fire?

(Trenches deal out only "A" special damage, no damage points. Trenches with MGs dealsout "A" or "B" damage points in the shooting direction from the MG and an additional "A" special damage.)
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-25-2012 at 08:48.

Very nice report, Paul. Congrats on your kill. Frankly I thought the mission would be much tougher, but I see it is not - and may be accomplished.

If you liked it - I'm more than happy.

Excellent sortie Lt.Grisham. You have upheld the fine reputation of the Bulldogs. I will be mentioning you in my report to HQ.
    See me in the Mess tonight for a G&T.
    Kyte.

Great AAR Paul - jolly good show the Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Excellent sortie Lt.Grisham. You have upheld the fine reputation of the Bulldogs. I will be mentioning you in my report to HQ.
    See me in the Mess tonight for a G&T.
    Kyte.
    Thank you sir , As for the G&T already a jar ahead of you

Paul

Good to meet you here with a bottle of G&T.

Mannecken just returned from his Balloon Busting Mission. He brougth the sausage down!

CHEERS, Gentlemen!

We have the Hun on the run. Medals all round or is that drinks
    Joking aside I think we have a great bunch of fliers here and all thanks to Quim for the idea those who fly in the missions
    Paul

Tobius Ebersark Wounded: Dice roll: 3 (Wounded: -1) (Landed safely in Aerodrome: +3) Modified roll: 5 - Injured - Skip 3 Scenarios.

Congratulations Paul ! Well done on the gas bag & for putting that Fritz out of action for a while