Ares Games

Thread: Benefits of modelling your own aicraft?

TheRedOstrich

Default Benefits of modelling your own aicraft?

Afternoon all, my first proper post on the forums after my initial introduction and I'm looking to invest in some models for use with my basic set of cards.

I'm a reasonably accomplished 15mm painter/modeller and I've extensive experience painting many other scales too so I have no qualms taking on some 1/144 models to try out! Cue shameless plug of my 1/100 HS129 I have been working on for my other passion, Flames of War.

My current predicament is the choice between trying to buy the already sparsely available (and getting more scarce) Wings of War (WWI) models or to simply buy the cards and supplement these with Skytrex (or similar) models and use the fantastic bases as seen on this site?

Are there any negatives to using self sourced models over the official ones? I can't imagine there is but thought it worth asking.

I'm also considering buying the Revised "Deluxe Boxed Set" which has 4 models inside to use as I paint the others I buy as these are still available, albeit in short supply. Will there be any scale issues between self sourced and the Nexus aircraft?

Thanks for your time.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

The only negative I have found about using self sourced models is the lack of altitude pegs, but if you get some flight stands from aerodrome accesories there is an altitude ring which solved this problem. However the biggest bonus of using these models is the sheer amount of different aircraft you can field.

Stewart

I use the official models, but I have been lucky enough to collect them all when each series was released. A lot of players use the metal models, plastic models, 3D printed models, and paper, or a combination of them with the offical models. This is particularly common when there is not an official model of the aircraft available. The only negative with the alternate models is that you have to build and/or paint them. If you are an experienced model builder, this should be no problem. There is sometimes a slight difference in size, although they are supposed to be the same scale, but not significant enough to prevent the use of them. Basically, if you can build nice looking models, use them.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Right on, Bobby!

All of these are 3rd party planes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0117.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	42203

These are a mix of Nexus and Shapeways.

Name:	Photo0071.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	42204

Hi Nate,
    No there is no issue using alternate to the official minis.
    In uk Skytrex are an affordable alternative, Shapeways have a wealth of different aircraft and are good enough despite the texture, provided you get the correct orientation. Plenty of threads discussing this.
    As has been said the big problem is decks and bases.
    Bases we have AA here on site, my preference, but also Litko do bases for WoW and available from Figures in Comfort.
    With the AA bases you need at least 1 official peg, but even here hopefully we will be getting help as the Oberst is currently sourcing these.
    Decks you can print off a version from the files section.
    So by all means get the official planes but no probs with alternatives.
    Take a look at my thread on Jasta 2 where 2 out of the 5 are Shapeways and they match ok
    Forgot to mention stats for alternate models are available here on site after sterling work by members of the forum, sorted matey

TheRedOstrich

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I've been able to source some decks here and there and I'll be snapping these up as soon as possible just to try and give me a good selection, also the "Deluxe Set" which I've found a few copies of will give me some duplicates in manouver decks and also some duplicate aircraft (which is what I'd like).

I think I'll then work on making up some Skytrex aircraft and use the AA bases as a starting point to "flesh out" the cards I already have.

If you require any info on assembly of the metal planes just have a look at the Home Page "How To" forum. There are a lot of tips on both Reviresco and Skytrex on there. These will be better illustrated once we get the hacked pictures back up.
    Rob.

The others have covered pretty much all the bases, so to speak :P

Nice work on the Hs 129 by the way

Dave

Welcome aboard!!! I was in the same boat back in January. Although I have been painting minis for over 20 years, I had never built any aircraft. Napoleonic, Seven Years War etc... you get the point. I feel half the fun of the hobby is building and painting. I have bought models from a few manufacturers to give them a try. I will say that building 1/144 aircraft is quite diffrent than painting soilders, horses, artillery or even tanks!!! I am learning and trying new techniques that I would never have used otherwise. I have put everything else on hold and I am building like crazy!!!!!!!!!

I use the Litko bases with the Areodrome Accessories ball magnets. They work beautifully! As for altitude, we are using a 20 sided die on our control panel to mark where we are.

I have included some pics of the diferent manufacturers with the stands.

These are Revieresco. They are great models. The Camel was a good one to start with.

Name:	wargame 019.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	42302

This is a Skytrex model N17. I liked it but I replaced the struts with .25 wire.

Name:	wargame 075.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	42303

This is a Shapeways model. These are great. No building but I have to buy some little fellows to fly them!!!

Name:	wargame 050.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	42304
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 04-22-2012 at 00:41.

Neat set of builds there Martin. Have you any more of your work you can share with us?
    Rob.

Rob, he might of just added them, but he has a lot of nice work in his album.

As soon as the money situation permits, I'll be ordering some skytrex and reviersco planes and decals

Thanks for the complement, guys!

I am brand new to Wings of War but I have built a few so far. I just created an album on my profile. I have enjoyed all the albums, from all the members, so much (my daughter has enjoyed them as well), I thought Id start my own.

Zoe, Fantastic collection. You have given me a goal!!!! Love the rockets on the N's.

Marvin...why the Belgian avatar?

I read Willy's book when i was 13 for the first time. I read it for the 15th or 16th time when I discovered Wings of War. I have been interested in WWI aircraft since I was very young. Being a big fan of Snoopy (my mother painted a mural of Snoopy flying his Sopwith on my bedroom wall) and I was a regular at The Old Rienbeck Aerodrome every summer. I was always being given aviators memiors by my mom and dad: Wind in the Wires , Fighting the Flying Circus, Winged Warfare, Fighting Airman and others.

Willy's book was my absolute favorite!!!!!! HE LANDED ON A BALLOON!!!!!

I used to play Rchtoffen's War and I have played Canvas Eagles at conventions but Wings of War has given me an outlet that has been building since 1977!

Starting out, I found the extra maneuver cards that come with the official minis useful. I guess you could make your own, but I'm lazy.

/Niclas

@Marvin...Great that you like his book so much! I've got it both in English and French. It's a great story of how things went back then and he wasn't afraid to give his opinion about the way things were going...
    Reading his book eventually led up to my nickname here on the forum

@bluedevil . . . I had guessed!!! I love your album as well. Im going to try my hand at making decals instead of trying to paint everything thanks to your posts.

Ok Marvin ! If you need tips or info you know where to find me!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Rob, he might of just added them, but he has a lot of nice work in his album.
    Thanks Keith. I'll have a look.
    Rob.

i cant wait to try my hand at building some

No problem at all. I really like looking at mods or home made aircraft. This is one hobby you can have alot of fun doing whatever you like. Building models or buy and play, research it's such a great hobby!!

TheRedOstrich

I'm looking to get a few models this coming week but I'm after some types that didn't come in the "top aces" boxed set I have here. I'm interested in perhaps getting some Nieuports and SE5s, can anybody advise me on a supplementary deck (which I can TRY to get) to get which would have these in with their respective manouver decks?

I've gone for some of the Litko flight stands with some of their altitude markers, I have a question about these though, does anybody know what size stems come with those stands?

I'm also trying to get some D.Vas as they're one of my favourite aircraft and I'd like to paint up a Jasta and I'm struggling to find anything in the UK, am I correct in thinking Skytrex only do D.IIIs?
    Last edited by TheRedOstrich; 04-28-2012 at 08:48.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedOstrich View Post
    I'm looking to get a few models this coming week but I'm after some types that didn't come in the "top aces" boxed set I have here. I'm interested in perhaps getting some Nieuports and SE5s, can anybody advise me on a supplementary deck (which I can TRY to get) to get which would have these in with their respective manouver decks?

I've gone for some of the Litko flight stands with some of their altitude markers, I have a question about these though, does anybody know what size stems come with those stands?

I'm also trying to get some D.Vas as they're one of my favourite aircraft and I'd like to paint up a Jasta and I'm struggling to find anything in the UK, am I correct in thinking Skytrex only do D.IIIs?
    Depends on which package you by.
    Some of the bases come without stems but the 12 stand version also supplies some of their 2" stems.
    Personally, I just cut them up as short as possible and use them to convert LITKO`s WOW adapters in to a `Male` plug-in so I can use the Nexus flight pegs at the same level as the stock stands.
    I`ve also done a couple of `Female` type adapters though which allows me to use the LITKO stems with the regular bases.

The Skytrex Albatros is intended to be a D.III but best represents a late production version with an offset radiator and D.V tailplane.
    It actually has a better representation of a D.V tail than the Nexus D.V model has and has a rather shark like look when placed beside a Nexus D.III which looks rather bloated in comparison.
    This is a common feature of a lot of the older Skytrex models which look rather `squashed` when compared with the Nexus counterpart but in this case I suspect that the real plane`s appearance was somewhere between the two models.
    If you want a more accurate D.III then it might be a good idea to check out the F-Toys, SRAM or Shapeways models though I must say I rather like the look of the Skytrex plane!
    For a D.V there is a lot less choice so far, just the Nexus one and a model from Reviresco.
    http://www.tin-soldier.com/albDV.htm
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 05-12-2012 at 14:27.

TheRedOstrich

I've ordered a handful of the D.IIIs this afternoon along with a few camels just to get my eye in with respect to the painting and modelling side of things. I'll post some updates when I get them underway, thanks for the advice and ideas.

The decks you need Nate are the Dogfight Booster pack for the SE5a. for Nieuport 17s it has to be Burning Drachens.
    I know Dom has SE 5 Boudwine in as I ordered one today, so if you don't mind painting over it you should get in there quickly.
    I will dredge for the Dogfight booster amongst mysuppliers.
    Rob.

Looks like Orc's Nest have them in stock but no Drachens.
    http://www.orcsnest.com/blurber.asp?Title=Wings of War Squad Pack: Dog Fight.
    Rob.

In case you are not happy with the Litko stems, they are pretty thin, you can get see through plastic rod on Ebay, just cut it to size, stick an earth magnet on the end and one under the plane and that is it.

I have spare decks available, one each for the Camel, SE5a and DVa. If you cover my postage I will send these to you. PM me if interested.

TheRedOstrich

Big thanks to G, a.k.a. Belis4arius for sending me three surplus decks and helping me get my new Squadron and Jasta well and truly off the ground!

I have some Skytrex models in the post, along with a few random expansion decks I managed to pick up! The empty bases are already sat constructed at home waiting for their new charges to arrive!

TheRedOstrich

Looking for a little advice regarding my Camels and DIIIs (being used as DVas!), I'm interested in painting them as a matching Jasta and Squadron each but don't have many ideas yet. I've for some decals coming to go on the aircraft but these are simple rounders and crosses, I'd rather not have to paint too much fine camo on the DVas but I'm open to any suggestions. Could anybody suggest some interesting units to emulate?

Also on a side note how long do Skytrex normally take to deliver their orders? Ordered a week back and still no sign.

For Camels, your best bet right now is probably 10 RNAS; there's decals available on e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-144-WoG-Sh...item1c26963e23
    Aerodrome Accessories also sells a 9 RNAS set, but I don't think they'll be reprinted until the new minis appear.

If you want to repaint your Albatroses in D.Va schemes, domsdecals.com has a decal sheet for Jasta 37, and several of those planes don't have lozenge wings. I'm sure several of the personal insignias for his Jasta 15 decal sheet were also used on Albatros D.IIIs and D.Vas. Again, Aerodrome Accessoeries is planning a sheet for Jasta 5, but not expected to be available for a while.

As far as Skytrex is concerned Nate, it depends a lot on what shows they have on at the time, but I have never had to wait more than about 12 days. If you don't hear by the middle of the week, drop Dave at Skytrex an E asking what the state of play is.
    Rob.

TheRedOstrich

With regards to lozenge camo and other complex/fine patterns do most people use decal sheets for these and what's the best source for them.

Also I have the deluxe (revised) boxed set and would perhaps like to use the prepainted Brown Camel and the DVa that are in there with my skytrex stuff. Where is the best place to research schemes and Jasta markings, I'm pretty familiar with the likes of Osprey Publishings stuff from my WW2 stuff and from a modellers perspective they're normally of some use?

The Albatros DVa in the RDS is from Jasta 5. I currently have 10 aircraft from that Jasta designed and I hope to have that decal sheet out around the end of May. My new RNAS 9 sheet will include 5 Camels. Both of these sheets will tie in with the soon to be re-release of the Series 1 planes from Ares. That reprint will have a plane from each of those units (different from what is already out and different then any of the planes on my decal sheet).

So, if you went with those two units, between your builds with my decals (if you went with them) and the official planes, you could have six Camels from RNAS 9 and 12 Albatros D.Va

Here are some photos of the first 4 of my RNAS 9 decals used on some Wings of War Camels:

Oh, and this post has only been partly a shameless plug for my upcoming decals! lol The other part was to seriously inform you of the options out there in detail.

Thats great news, Herr Oberst. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of your decals!

TheRedOstrich

Thanks for that post, I'll keep an eye open for these.

I also found this small gallery, just working out who flew simultaneously from amongst those pilots.

I'd have to consult my books on Miller's work to give you the dates. My Jasta 5 decals are for the unit during July 1917 with one or two outside that date by a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedOstrich View Post
    Thanks for that post, I'll keep an eye open for these.

I also found this small gallery, just working out who flew simultaneously from amongst those pilots.
    Very nice; thanks much for more Jasta 5 artwork. Miller is a true artist.
    Karl