Ares Games

Thread: Manouvre Decks and Custom Decks difference

darkwing

Default Manouvre Decks and Custom Decks difference

Hello, i was browsing through the Files section and noticed a difference between the "same" decks.

From what i can tell the "A Deck" should have 18 cards- 16 Blue and 2 Red altitude cards.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...20deck_01C.jpg

I then found in the Custom Photo Manouvre Decks that the "A Deck" lists the 18 above and an additional 5 Altitude cards (L+R Dive, L+R Climb and Straight Dive {i think hehe})
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=258

so which one is correct? or are they both correct possibly due to advanced rules?

cheers
    John

The official manoeuvre decks (A or any of the others in fact) have a numbered set of cards which do not have climb or dive cards included, as altitude is optional. If you choose to use altitude the official rules have you add two cards - short red straight climb, long red straight dive.

However, there tends to be a lot of house rules proposed / tested here (how like wargamers - at my club I don't think we have a single set of commercial rules that haven't been modified by house rules ) - and the altitude rules are a particularly fertile ground. So the custom decks are just that - they have additional "house rule" cards for climbing / diving turns for you to use if you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    The official manoeuvre decks (A or any of the others in fact) have a numbered set of cards which do not have climb or dive cards included, as altitude is optional. If you choose to use altitude the official rules have you add two cards - short red straight climb, long red straight dive.

However, there tends to be a lot of house rules proposed / tested here (how like wargamers - at my club I don't think we have a single set of commercial rules that haven't been modified by house rules ) - and the altitude rules are a particularly fertile ground. So the custom decks are just that - they have additional "house rule" cards for climbing / diving turns for you to use if you choose.
    Actually, I do not think this is correct. The early decks (card only, not miniature ones) do not have altitude included, but later on separate altitude cards for each early deck were published (in Burning Drachens, maybe?) and from then on all decks contain 2 more cards and their numbering was changed accordingly (i.e. 18 became 20).

As for the original question, the only "correct" decks are the official ones. Anything else is a house rule.

Brian is quite correct, the decks in Fameous Aces did not have the two altitude cards. From what I remember the alt cards for the A-D decks came with the booster packs and were numbered 1/2& 2/2. After this release all decks had the red cards and were numbered in sequence with the rest of the deck

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Brian is quite correct, the decks in Fameous Aces did not have the two altitude cards. From what I remember the alt cards for the A-D decks came with the booster packs and were numbered 1/2& 2/2. After this release all decks had the red cards and were numbered in sequence with the rest of the deck
    Erm, that is not exactly what Brian said.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    Erm, that is not exactly what Brian said.
    Between us we got a complete answer . I actually was thinking of the first decks when I wrote the reply, but Jan is right - it reads like all decks! Note to self - don't write whilst celebrating in the Mess

Good info thanks.

If memory serves me right the R deck in the files section is incompatible with the official R Deck.
    It is in the wrong speed band and as such the arrows are to long.
    Linz