Ares Games

Thread: Trivia Quiz #20 - Guess the Theme

Default Trivia Quiz #20 - Guess the Theme

Being all fresh, I thought I'd take a gander at this (questions may be exceedingly easy, or exceedingly hard).

Please post all answers via PM to myself. Winner will be announced in two weeks time (16/04/2012)

Each question is worth 1 point and guessing the overall theme gets you 3 points.

1. What is the make and model of this aircraft?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	38432

2. Name the location where this aircraft was first used for hostile purposes

Name:	Picture 2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	38433

3. Who is the fellow in the centre? (Hint: He has an airport named after him)

Name:	Picture 3.jpg 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	38434

4. The picture relates to a 1918 event, what was the engine of the aircraft which was the 'main star' of the event? (Hint: Those white specks aren't birds or bombs)

Name:	Picture 4.jpg 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	38435

5. Name the aircraft from the pilot's description. "Behind [the air speed indicator] was a place on which were the two words 'minima' and 'maxima'. If you let it get below 'minima', you stalled. If you got above 'maxima', the wings fell off" (Hint: Related to Q3)

6. Which once-jailed WW1 officer wrote a treatise that would eventually lead to the Stanley Baldwin phrase "the bomber will always get through"?

7. How did this man die? (Hint: All the details are somewhere in these forums)

Name:	Picture 7.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	38436

8. Who am I? I was born in 1895. I was a Sergeant and scored six aerial victories in my Nieuport 11 and was a 'first' for my country

9. Who flew this aircraft?

Name:	Picture-9.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	38437

10. Give me the theme linking the previous nine questions and you get 3 points.

Five days in and still nothing? Hmm

1 more day before the end of this and STILL nothing. Surely someone wants to try out?

Question

G'day Ben!
    Well I have been revisiting the thread regularly to try to guess the Theme & get some answers but you have "stumped" me.
    I think the Theme is "French Aviation" but apart from that I luck out.

Very difficult & I will look forward to seeing the Answers.

Hi Barry,

Indeed, I wasn't sure how tough I had to do it because it does seem like everyone here is a WW1-anorak. I actually did not receive any entries so I might be evil and keep it under wraps until I do....

Hi Ben
    Only just saw this quiz thought I might give it a go.
    So will send you a PM with my guesses
    Linz

So far, two responses. I'd be keen to see a few more attempts and if anyone could beat Linz at the top!

Linz - 9.5 points (he got a half point for an entertaining story on Q4)
    Guntruck - 9 points

Thanks for a great quiz
    I have really enjoyed searching out the answers
    Question 5 is the one that has got me stumped.
    My answers there are really guesses as I can not find the pilots quote.
    I've bed crook in bed for the last 3 days so this has been my entertainment.
    Thanks again
    Linz

Well, several days have passed and to be honest, it's an absolute tie between Linz and Guntruck.

The answers are as below: -
    1. What is the make and model of this aircraft?
    Caproni Ca.20 - apparently the first fighter aircraft in the world

2. Name the location where this aircraft was first used for hostile purposes
    Ain Zara Oasis, Libya - it was dropped by Giulio Gavotti during the Italo-Turk War in 1909 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13294524)

3. Who is this chap? (Hint: He has an airport named after him)
    Fiorello La Guardia - better known as the mayor of New York, he ran a team of American bomber pilots flying Caproni out of Italy

4. The picture relates to a 1918 event, what was the engine of the aircraft which was the 'main star' of the event?
    SPA 6A (200hp) - the event was a propaganda leaflet drop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_over_Vienna)

5. Name the aircraft from the pilot's description. "Behind [the air speed indicator] was a place on which were the two words 'minima' and 'maxima'. If you let it get below 'minima', you stalled. If you got above 'maxima', the wings fell off" (Hint: Related to Q3)
    Caproni Ca.3. It was described in the diary of one of Fiorello's Foggiani (Source: Aviation Century: The Early Years, Ron D ick and Dan Patterson)

6. Which once-jailed WW1 officer wrote a treatise that would eventually lead to the Stanley Baldwin phrase "the bomber will always get through"?
    Guilio Douhet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giulio_Douhet)

7. How did this man die? (Hint: All the details are somewhere in these forums)
    Ground fire, shot in the head - and he's one of the famous aces Francesco Baracca

8. Who am I? I was born in 1895. I was a Sergeant and scored six aerial victories in my Nieuport 11 and was a 'first' for my country
    Mario Stoppani was the first ace for Italy during WW1

9. Who flew this aircraft?
    Fulco Ruffo di Calabria

10. Give me the theme linking the previous nine questions and you get 3 points.
    It would be quite easy to pick the link once you get a couple of these right. The link is Italy, of course.

Saw this Trivia Quiz today. Is it an official one?

Something went wrong if everybody missed it...

Not sure if it's "official" - just thought I'd put some questions together and throw them into a post, really...

And a good idea it was too.

Just in case some don't know, the Caproni Ca.20 can be found in the Seattle museum of flight. It is one of the (as I recall) three original planes they have-- the rest are repros, but fine ones.