Ares Games

Thread: Immelmann Set

Default Immelmann Set

Hi.
    Following the Famous Aces set, I am now posting the biographies for the Immelmann set, minus Hautzmayer, Parschau, Parvanov and Kisilevitch for whom I am still missing substantial info. Actually, I don't think I'll ever find anything about Parvanov and Kisilevitch.
    Feel free to comment and highlight mistakes. Thanks

Name:  ernst udet.2psp.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  376.5 KB

Udet's first unit should read AFA 206 (Artillerie-Flieger-Abteilung 206). And I will add "Fliegertruppe" under Service, since I do indicate Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force for the British pilots (for the sake of consistency).

Name:  eugene gilbert.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  367.6 KB

Gilbert died on 17 May 1918, not 16 May as stated in the biography. I will correct this. I did not indicate the units below the aircraft profiles, as I am still not sure if Gilbert flew "le vengeur" with MS 23 or MS 49.

Name:  fritz bernert.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  372.5 KB

If anyone has a photograph of Bernert flying another aircraft, please let me know.
    Edit: Found a couple of pics in Jasta Boelcke (Osprey). I will add a profile of an Albatros D.III with no markings.

Name:  hans buddecke.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  373.7 KB

Ottoman units for Buddecke should read FFA 5 and 6.

Name:  jean chaput.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  375.1 KB

Chaput assumed command of Escadrille 57 in April 1918. How could I let so many mistakes pass?

Name:  jean navarre.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  376.2 KB

Lazy cut and paste. Captions under profiles should read "Morane-Saulnier N, Escadrille MS12" and "Nieuport 11, Escadrille N67".

Name:  john andrews.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  379.0 KB

Name:  lanoe hawker.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  379.6 KB

Name:  max immelmann.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  366.7 KB

Immelmann's units should read FFA 10 and 62. Service should be "Fliegertruppe". Will change this in the final version.

Name:  oswald boelcke.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  367.5 KB

Boelcke's first two units should read FFA 13 and 62. Will also add "Fliegertruppe" under Service.

Name:  robert saundby.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  368.3 KB

Name:  tone bayetto.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  373.8 KB

Shouldn't that be "born to an Italian father ..."?

Name:  william curphey.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  370.8 KB
    Last edited by christophe fran; 04-03-2012 at 18:13.

Cool thanks....
    Brings some more flavour...
    and brings me some Idea for using modified versions in our club with names and pictures changed

very nice,thank you

Those are very useful thanks Chris.
    Can anyone remember where in the Files the original set of Biographies for the Series 1 to 4 were.
    I have a set printed in my file at home, but can't locate the originals.
    Rob.

The picture of Boelcke is on the cover of a book I just started reading. CASEMATE books. I got three from my book club. The other two are Immelmann and James McCudden. What are those cards from?

I have an idea for an add-on to this... does anyone have sufficient knowledge to profile how the various aces flew and come up with recommended Ace abilities for each?

Nice work!

Very interesting! I did notice that the second aircraft on Jean Naverre's description has a picture of a Nieuport, but labelled a Spad VII.

Dave

Default Picture

Name:  Book cover.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  113.5 KB

Here is the picture I mentioned on the cover of the book.

Default DICTA

Name:  Boelcke DICTA.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  139.6 KB

Soory that this is not so good but it is a hard cover book and hard to scan. This is Boelcke DICTA. Hope you can read this.

Thumbs up

Great work Christophe!
    Loved the pics of other Aircraft flown by them.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    The picture of Boelcke is on the cover of a book I just started reading. CASEMATE books. I got three from my book club. The other two are Immelmann and James McCudden. What are those cards from?

Boelcke's photograph is a Sanke card. These were postcards showing World War I aviators published by a guy named Willi Sanke.
    Go to this website:
    http://www.sanke-cards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rat of Vengence View Post
    Very interesting! I did notice that the second aircraft on Jean Naverre's description has a picture of a Nieuport, but labelled a Spad VII.

Dave
    Yep, that's me being lazy. Thanks for spotting it. I have corrected it in the original set.

Hadn't read the Dicta before, thanks for sharing it

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great work Christophe!
    Loved the pics of other Aircraft flown by them.
    Thank you.
    For William Curphey, it seems that he only flew an Airco D.H.2. His flying career was so brief. Otto Bernert definitely flew several types of aircraft, but i could not find a reference to any particular type.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Good job! Thank you. I see you've been advised of Navarre's Nieuport/SPAD switch.

Rally like the idea of these adds some real character to the game!

A very intersting post I gained a lot of refernces from it thank's.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Can anyone remember where in the Files the original set of Biographies for the Series 1 to 4 were.
    I have a set printed in my file at home, but can't locate the originals.
    Rob.
    Are you talking about this one ?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=395

You can find it here : Files / World War 1 / Games aides / WW1 miniatures comparison version 6

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Are you talking about this one ?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=395

You can find it here : Files / World War 1 / Games aides / WW1 miniatures comparison version 6
    Thanks for looking Simon, I have now figured how to get the pictures up on the comparison charts.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 04-03-2012 at 05:39.

Very nice Christophe, thanks for sharing

That's very nice and beautifully done. Thanks.

Christopher if you check out my albums you will see a number of SANKE poostcards that I scanned. There are WWI and WWII. The WWII are Knights Cross winners.

Thanks for doing these! They look great!

Name:  Boelcke DICTA.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  139.6 KB
    And just to show he wasn't perfect: Second sentence of #6 will often-as-not get you *killed*, as his wingman comes up behind you while you're focusing on him.

Christopher if you check out my albums you will see a number of SANKE poostcards that I scanned. There are WWI and WWII. The WWII are Knights Cross winners.
    Thanks.
    As far as possible, I try to use portraits for my biographies. The only German pilots in Wings of War for whom I do not have a decent portrait are:
    Alfred Greven, Fritz Höhn, Helmut Lange (no pic at all for this guy), Hugo Schäfer, Ludwig Weber (although I have a nice pic of him standing near his aircraft), and Wilhelm Hippert.
    Last edited by christophe fran; 04-03-2012 at 18:14.

I have done the Hautzmayer biography. Here it is:

Name:  ludwig hautzmayer.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  373.5 KB

I will add a mention of his posting as an officer in the 7th Infantry Regt, wounded on Russian Front in Sep 14.
    Thanks to Baldrick.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 08-09-2013 at 11:22.

I have done Parschau's bio and corrected all the typos for the other pilots. I will now upload the PDF file of the Immelmann set (minus the Russian and the Bulgarian pilots) in the Fan Artwork section. Enjoy!