Ares Games

Thread: 'WWI Top Gun: Revealed' - TV Documentary

Default 'WWI Top Gun: Revealed' - TV Documentary

An hour long programme produced in 2012 in association with the Military History Channel, using archival newsreel footage and stunning contemporary colour cinematography shot in New Zealand with the amazing aircraft collection at TVAL. Although there are some 'howlers' in the commentary about attitudes to and the achievements of WWI airpower which would pass many by, the greatest sin in this is one of omission in the lack of acknowledgement that any other services/nations contributed to the technological or tactical advances over the course of the war other than the RFC or the Luftstreitkrafte. However, for an introduction and visual taster of WWI in the air, charting the developments in reconnanissance, photograghy, firepower and speed, it does a very good job. Definitely one to watch, but with the sound muted. (4/5)
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 03-31-2012 at 03:15. Reason: clarification

Yes indeed. For the novice, a good introduction Baldrick.
    Rob.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 08-09-2013 at 09:47.

I was surprised at some of the commentary, given that they used Peter Hart as their academic 'expert'.
    - 'Many were convinced the war would be won by the new technology; aircraft'. Who were these 1914 visionaries, and what were they saying in 1919?
    - Picture of Haig when talking about how the generals didn't get airpower, despite his very positive experiences
    - Quoting Sir John French ' aircraft too frail and inconsequential', yet he would praise the use of aerial reconnaissance in the lead-up to the Battle of the Marne 1914
    - With the RFC 'for the first time the army had an eye in the sky' - I suspect the balloonatics would have had something to say about that!
    - Talking about 'guiding artillery' from the air, rather than correcting fire
    - The SE5a was 'the fastest 'plane of the war' - how about SPAD XIII, Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, Ansaldo A.1, Morane-Saulnier AI, Bristol M1C, Junkers D.I, or the 1914 Air Speed Record Holder the RAF SE4
    However, despite any inaccuracies in the commentary, seeing two TVAL Bristol F2Bs flying together was still very cool!

I agree with Dave & Rob - it was well worth it for the aircraft, and for some of the comments by those flying them!

I was surprised at some of the commentary, given that they used Peter Hart as their academic 'expert'.
    Don't mistake having an expert on the show with an attempt to achieve realism - they have a story, they probably have a script and they'll cut recordings or cajole the expert to get what they want. Trust me, been there done that (or at least been on the receiving end)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Don't mistake having an expert on the show with an attempt to achieve realism - they have a story, they probably have a script and they'll cut recordings or cajole the expert to get what they want. Trust me, been there done that (or at least been on the receiving end)
    So have I Dave.
    The last time I was asked I just told them that they could not afford me.
    If you sup with the Devil you need a very long spoon indeed.
    Rob.

Is there a youtube clip of this.
    The link given doesn't extend to this part of the world.
    Cheers
    Linz

Linz,
    Probably not (yet), as it only aired for the first time in the UK a week ago. Given the amount of TVAL footage, I'd be surprised if it doesn't make its way to NZ in reasonably short order.
    BofB

It's still blocked here in the US, but through the marvels of the intertubes I was able to watch a copy. Really well done, I thought, but when it comes to this stuff I'm really just a novice.

Watching now on Youtube. Interesting stuff. Great to see newly built versions of these classic planes being flown.

Very cool thanks.
    Linz

I Enjoyed this documentary very much..It may be a bitone-sided but I think mr De Marco and his team are doing a wonderfull job building those aircraft.. Now if he could only build a Hanriot HD1

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    I Enjoyed this documentary very much..It may be a bitone-sided but I think mr De Marco and his team are doing a wonderfull job building those aircraft.. Now if he could only build a Hanriot HD1
    Yeah, you kind of just have to accept since is is a BBC program for British TV, they of course going to focus more on the home front POV. That aside, I LOVE the fact some one is building & flying them. I'll have to look into them & see if they plan to continue.

Exclamation

Yes I can assure you the Vintage Aviator Co. will continue to built fantastic Replica Aircraft. Sir Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame is the mover & shaker of the Project. He is a real WW1 Aero nut. They/He is also involved with the Wingnut Wings model Co.
    You might like to also check out the Omaka Aviation Heritage Center website in NZ. They have the most incredable museum & there is a Bi Annual fly in of WW1 Aircraft each Easter which alternates with another 'drome on NZ's North Island.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yes I can assure you the Vintage Aviator Co. will continue to built fantastic Replica Aircraft. Sir Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame is the mover & shaker of the Project. He is a real WW1 Aero nut. They/He is also involved with the Wingnut Wings model Co.
    You might like to also check out the Omaka Aviation Heritage Center website in NZ. They have the most incredable museum & there is a Bi Annual fly in of WW1 Aircraft each Easter which alternates with another 'drome on NZ's North Island.
    Nice. I had heard as much about PJ & wondered w/ the NZ connection if he might'nt be involved. . I've heard the word somewhere that he might be interested in doing a movie on the era/subject? I'm hoping it's true, particularly w/ his involvement in this project.